All-Time Draft #5

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
For people who saw Statsny play, can someone give me a comparison to a current NHL'er so it will help me make my lines?

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
kruezer selects

Cy Denneny, LW

Inducted 1959. Born 23 December 1897 Farran's Point, Ontario.Died 9 Sep 1970. Played 15 professional seasons from 1914 to 1929.

The native of Farrow’s Point, Ontario, One of the top-scoring left wings of his era, Cy Denneny topped the 20-goal mark eight times in his stellar career. Although he wasn't the swiftest skater, Denneny used his shot to deadly effect. Much to the chagrin of opposing netminders, he also became one of the first players to experiment with a curved stick.He won one Art Ross trophy and was runner-up an incredible six times! From every year between 1921 and 1927, he was either first or second in points, and top four in goals. He also led the league in assists twice. While he was in the league, he had more goals, assists and points than any other player. The Hockey Outsider

One of the most dangerous shooters in league history, Denneny actually stood number one as the NHL's all-time leading goal scorer at the end of the 1919-20 season, although he was passed by Joe Malone the following year. In 1922-23, he regained the lead in career goals scored and remained the all-time league leader when he retired. His lofty position lasted until Howie Morenz set a new NHL standard in 1933-34.

Denneny also left the game as the top point scorer in league history with 331 points to his credit. Morenz passed him when he earned his 332nd point in 1931-32. The combined total of 475 regular-season points made Cy and Corb Denneny one of the most famous sibling pairs in the NHL and certainly one of the more productive pre-war brother combinations.

After bringing his rewarding career with the Senators to a close, Denneny joined the Boston Bruins as player, coach and assistant manager in 1928-29. He contributed valuable leadership and savvy while helping the Beantowners win their first Stanley Cup in franchise history by defeating New York Rangers in 1929.

Denneny tried his hand at refereeing from 1929 to 1931. In 1931-32, he spent a busy year in the coaching ranks at various levels in the Ottawa city league as well as both the Upper and Lower Ottawa Valley leagues. This was followed by a year as coach and manager of the financially crippled Ottawa Senators in 1932-33.

Cy Denneny was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1959.-Legends oF Hockey

NHL Totals 328 248 85 333 301 Playoff Totals 25 16 2 18 23

Art Ross Trophy (1924)

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Trail Smoke Eaters are pleased to select:

C/LW Sid Abel​

Sid will play LW on our team.

Career highlights include:
*Stanley Cup champion (3)
*Inducted into the HHOF
*Served his country in the Second World War
*Captained the Detroit Red Wings
*Hart Trophy winner (1)
*Two-time first team all-star centre
*Second team all-star centre and left winger

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Earlier when jtuzzi took Stastny, he mentioned that he was the 2nd highest scorer in the 80s next to Gretzky. Well, I`m going to take the 2nd highest point-getter in the 90s next to Gretzky:

The Ottawa 67s select....

Adam Oates

Most Points in the 90s

1. Wayne Gretzky 1020
2. Adam Oates 927
3. Steve Yzerman 918
4. Joe Sakic 917
5. Brett Hull 896
6. Not drafted yet
7. Jaromir Jagr 862
8. Ron Francis 842
9. Not drafted yet
10. Not drafted yet

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
reckoning said:
Earlier when jtuzzi took Stastny, he mentioned that he was the 2nd highest scorer in the 80s next to Gretzky. Well, I`m going to take the 2nd highest point-getter in the 90s next to Gretzky:

The Ottawa 67s select....

Adam Oates
boo. No Hull and Oates for me :(.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
jtuzzi said:
boo. No Hull and Oates for me :(.

He seems to never go early in these drafts. It`s amazing that somebody who racked up all those assists year after year is so underrated. Put anybody on his line and they`re guaranteed a 50 goal season.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select D/C Nels Stewart. He was a two-way power forward who won the Conn Smythe and two Hart trophies. He led the league in goals twice and was runner-up once, and led the league in points once and was runner-up once. A top-five goal-scorer 8 times. As his scoring abilities declined in later years, he played as a defenseman more often in order to help his teams win.

Stewart had one of the greatest post-seasons in NHL history in 1926. During the NHL playoffs, he helped the Maroons defeat the Pittsburgh Pirates in a two-game series, leading all playoff scorers in assists. The Maroons would go on to face the WCHL Victoria Cougars. During the Stanley Cup finals, the Maroons' captain and best defenseman, Dunc Monro, was sick with the flu and couldn't play. Stewart filled in on the blueline due to his excellent defensive play. Despite playing defense, Stewart scored 6 goals in four games. To put that in perspective, nobody else scored more than 1 goal in the entire series, and Stewart singlehandedly outscored the entire Victoria team. The Maroons went on to win the Stanley Cup in four games and Stewart won the Conn Smythe. Stewart also had strong playoff performances in 1928 (third in goals and points, Maroons lost 3-2 in the Cup finals), and 1938 (8th in points despite the fact his team lost in the second round).

"One of the most lethal offensive players of his day, he earned the nickname "Old Poison" because of his deadly accurate shot. Stewart also had a dark side, and he was more than willing to use his stick or mix it up with members of the opposition whenever the mood struck him...

The fiery center burst onto the NHL scene in 1925-26, scoring a league-high 34 goals in his first season. He also won the regular-season scoring title with 42 points and was awarded the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player. Stewart's infusion of skill and production helped the Maroons win the Stanley Cup in their sophomore NHL season.

In 1929-30, Stewart was teamed with Siebert and Hooley Smith to form the dreaded S Line. This formidable trio fused talent and physical play at a level rarely seen in NHL history. Stewart responded to this new assignment with a personal-best 39 goals in only 44 games. He was presented with his second Hart Trophy and his reputation as one of the most effective pivots in league history was solidified...

Stewart retired in 1940 with an NHL record 324 goals to his credit and his total stood as the league standard until Maurice Richard eclipsed it on November 8, 1952." -- HHOF

Last edited:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
reckoning said:
He seems to never go early in these drafts. It`s amazing that somebody who racked up all those assists year after year is so underrated. Put anybody on his line and they`re guaranteed a 50 goal season.
I probably should have taken him, but I feel a 1-2 punch of Leetch and Murphy as PP QB's was too much to pass up..

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hockey Outsider said:
The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select D/C Nels Stewart. He was a two-way power forward who won the Conn Smythe and two Hart trophies. He led the league in goals twice and was runner-up once, and led the league in points once and was runner-up once. A top-five goal-scorer 8 times. As his scoring abilities declined in later years, he played as a defenseman more often in order to help his teams win.

Stewart had one of the greatest post-seasons in NHL history in 1926. During the NHL playoffs, he helped the Maroons defeat the Pittsburgh Pirates in a two-game series, leading all playoff scorers in assists. The Maroons would go on to face the WCHL Victoria Cougars. During the Stanley Cup finals, the Maroons' captain and best defenseman, Dunc Monro, was sick with the flu and couldn't play. Stewart filled in on the blueline due to his excellent defensive play. Despite playing defense, Stewart scored 6 goals in four games. To put that in perspective, nobody else scored more than 1 goal in the entire series, and Stewart singlehandedly outscored the entire Victoria team. The Maroons went on to win the Stanley Cup in four games and Stewart won the Conn Smythe. Stewart also had strong playoff performances in 1928 (third in goals and points, Maroons lost 3-2 in the Cup finals), and 1938 (8th in points despite the fact his team lost in the second round).

"One of the most lethal offensive players of his day, he earned the nickname "Old Poison" because of his deadly accurate shot. Stewart also had a dark side, and he was more than willing to use his stick or mix it up with members of the opposition whenever the mood struck him...

The fiery center burst onto the NHL scene in 1925-26, scoring a league-high 34 goals in his first season. He also won the regular-season scoring title with 42 points and was awarded the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player. Stewart's infusion of skill and production helped the Maroons win the Stanley Cup in their sophomore NHL season.

In 1929-30, Stewart was teamed with Siebert and Hooley Smith to form the dreaded S Line. This formidable trio fused talent and physical play at a level rarely seen in NHL history. Stewart responded to this new assignment with a personal-best 39 goals in only 44 games. He was presented with his second Hart Trophy and his reputation as one of the most effective pivots in league history was solidified...

Stewart retired in 1940 with an NHL record 324 goals to his credit and his total stood as the league standard until Maurice Richard eclipsed it on November 8, 1952." -- HHOF
I had him ranked right with Abel. Went with Abel because Abel can play the wing. Had a hunch that Stewart wouldn't get back to me, but I never thought I'd get another shot at King Clancy when I took Cyclone Taylor ahead of Clancy in the fourth round. Nice pick.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I was really debating between Stewart, Oates and Abel this round, but you and Reckoning made my decision easier. You could make an arguement for Abel deserving the Conn Smythe in at least three different years, and he was instrumental in helping Howe get accustomed to the rigors of the NHL.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
God Bless Canada said:
This is a question that's been burning in my mind since this started: how do we determine who has the best team? BM, LL or Spitfire, can one of you let me know?

We don't, anyone that wants to can just rate the teams, breakdown a single team, debate their team is the best, whatever. We've never had any kind of 'showdown'.

I think last draft all that happened was BM67 did a breakdown of my team and that was it lol.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
The New York Rangers would like to welcome back an old favorite, RW Sergei Makarov.

We're also interested in moving up as soon as possible, so anyone interested in dropping down a few picks please PM me.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
Spitfire11 said:
We don't, anyone that wants to can just rate the teams, breakdown a single team, debate their team is the best, whatever. We've never had any kind of 'showdown'.

I think last draft all that happened was BM67 did a breakdown of my team and that was it lol.

I started a breakdown of teams in X3 I believe but only got to VanIslander's team. I think I did a pretty good job though, and I'd be willing to go through it again this time.

Still looking for move up ASAP :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad