All-Time Draft #11, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Terry Harper's a rock. I thought he went a little early in the last draft (8th round, ahead of contemporaries Moose Vasko and Doug Mohns), but you won't find many defensive defencemen better than Terry Harper at this point. He was on our radar for a while, but we wanted to start to fill out our forward ranks before picking a No. 4 defenceman.

We stole MacLeish in the 13th round last draft. Bugg stole him in the 12th round this draft. The only reason we didn't take him in the 11th round is the GBC/raleh standing policy to avoid picking guys we've had in the past.

Bauer is one of those guys who always gets picked too late. Excellent offensive ability for the second line.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I'll got back to the 30's again and take one of the top two-way forwards, C/RW Phil Watson

-2 Stanley Cups, lead the '40 playoffs in scoring
-2nd team all-star at centre
-Top-10 in assists 5 times (1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 10th)
-Conn Smythe winner in '40 according to both THN and the HOF article:

"If he had never scored a point this feisty center would have been a key player in the Rangers win. Against Boston he was up against the "Kraut" line who had finished 1-2-3 in scoring and he was at his pesky best in holding that line to one goal in six games. Meanwhile Watson had two goals including the 1st game winner. In the final against Toronto he lined up against the Apps-Drillon-Davidson line that had a goal-a-game coming into the final. Watson starred with three assists in a 6-2 win, had the 1st goal in a 2-1 loss and drove the Leafs to distraction with his irritating style. He tied for the playoff lead in scoring from a defensive line." - http://www.hhof.com/html/newsconn.shtml#winners

Edit: I'm having a hard time deciding on my next pick and I'm willing to move down. Would like to move up from pick 411 in return.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Phil Watson is an absolute beast. He should be selected even earlier than this. If I wasn't so set on reuniting the Ramsay/Luce/Gainey line, he would be one of my top choices for a third line center.

Walker/Watson/Provost - the perfect third line? Maybe. Better offensively than most 2nd lines and all superb defensively. All have significant winning experience. Maybe I'll try to put this line together next draft.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Sorry guys, my belove Habs just lost and I found I got stole the player I wanted to select. I'm pretty pissed off right now, I'll need some time to get my head straight and not blew the selection.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sorry guys, my belove Habs just lost and I found I got stole the player I wanted to select. I'm pretty pissed off right now, I'll need some time to get my head straight and not blew the selection.

And I've been out doing yardwork all night and wanted to come in and enjoy a couple good hockey games on the PVR. One out of two ain't bad, I guess.

I am sure I don't feel the same level of pain you feel right now. But unfortunately I need to use this as another opportunity to once again respectfully ask my fellow ATD GMs to keep the draft thread a "no spoiler zone".

Please?

Seriously though, EB, sorry about the Habs... and about Watson.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
And I've been out doing yardwork all night and wanted to come in and enjoy a couple good hockey games on the PVR. One out of two ain't bad, I guess.

I am sure I don't feel the same level of pain you feel right now. But unfortunately I need to use this as another opportunity to once again respectfully ask my fellow ATD GMs to keep the draft thread a "no spoiler zone".

Please?

Seriously though, EB, sorry about the Habs... and about Watson.

Probably shouldn't mention that a team with red-blue-white as their colour scheme won the other game, then. :sarcasm:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Bah, I stole Busher Jackson at 120, Lanny McDonald at 196 and Claude Lemieux at 283 and the two time someone took my selection one or two pick apart from me (Bob Gainey at 152 and Claude Provost at 193), I was able to turn it up and make it positive. I guess I've been lucky with the guys I wanted falling down to me, so I won't complain.

I am calm now :)

Sorry 70's, I'll try keeping my keyboard shut next time.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Phil Watson

000012342.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion (1940, 1944)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1937)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1942)
Conn Smythe Trophy (1940)

Top-10 Scoring (4th, 10th)
Top-10 Assist (1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 10th)
*0.68 point per game in regular season*
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (1st, 8th, 10th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (2nd, 8th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (4th, 8th, 9th)
*0.65 point per game in playoff*

Quotes:

Joe Pelletier said:
Watson was a key player in the spring of 1940, when the New York Rangers famously won the Stanley Cup. Watson was brilliant in the semi-finals against Boston, checking the famed "Kraut Line," who finished 1-2-3 in NHL regular season scoring. Watson held them to just a lone goal in their six game series. Watson, meanwhile, scored twice, including the winner in game one. Watson would do a similar defensive job against Toronto, while adding a lead-tying 5 points in the finals.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With the thirteen selection, the 323rd overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are proud to select Monsieur William Mosienko

P196507S.jpg

Stanley Cup Finalist (1944)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (1945)
Second All-Star Team Right Wing (1945, 1946)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1965)

Top-10 Scoring (5th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (2nd, 5th, 6th, 10th, 10th)
Top-10 Assist (2nd, 7th, 9th, 10th, 10th)
Top-5 Lady Bing Finalist (1st, 3rd, 3rd)

- From the span of his career [1944-1955], Mosienko scored more goals than every player except Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard and Ted Lindsay
- From the span of his career [1944-1955], Mosienko registered more points than every players except the later three plus Elmer Lach and Ted Kennedy.

Joe Pelletier said:
His achievements have been overshadowed, for better or worse, by that amazing performance, but he was much more than just the answer of an excellent trivia question. A Hall of Fame player, Mosienko was a talented and solid right winger on the "Pony Line" with the brothers Bentley, Max and Doug. Together they were one of the greatest lines in hockey history.

- Mosienko was teamed on a line with XXXXX XXXXX and Doug Bentley in 1943-44 and this threesome went on to set an NHL record of amassing 219 points. This record was beat the next year by one point by the Famous Punch Line
- Mosienko recorded three goals in 21 seconds on March 23, 1952.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Woo, I finally called something right!! I guessed (to seventies) you'd take Mosienko, EB, that's a great pick, way to turn it around positively yet again.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005

Lada selects LW Brian Sutter.

i think Sutter - Ratelle - Dillon is similar to the GAG line.

but Sutter and Dillon were better defensive players than Gilbert and the other guy.

Sutter is also a more consistent player than the other guy.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Sutter's an awesome pick. Scores goals, opens up room for his teammates, and gives his teammates an extra bit of bravery. We would have picked him if we didn't get Stevens.

And I can't believe someone would need time to decide whether they want Mosienko. One of the best players available. Like Bauer, always goes too soon.

Anyways, I have a couple picks to announce. First for Toska. He's proud to select a gritty, two-way winger with a fine offensive touch: RW Dave Taylor.

And I have our pick. Another classic Big, Bad Bruin. For my money, he's unarguably the best fourth line winger in the draft. Might be a little soon to pick a fourth liner, but we can't pass up a chance to pick this GBC and raleh favourite. Tough, skilled and highly intelligent, he can talk books with Carl Brewer while on road trips. One of the most popular players in the history of his franchise:

RW Terry O'Reilly​

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
we are entering the disputed zone

as I've said a million times, guys will go in the middle rounds that aren't a stitch better if even as good a pick as guys that will go in later rounds

the first 300 picks are pretty uncontroversial, but a lot of 13-15 rounders, 19-21 rounders and 23-24 rounders could be switched around

judgements vary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad