All-Time Draft #11, Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The Thunder Bay Twins are pleased to select two-time Hart trophy winner C Bill Cowley, the best playmaker of his era.

Cowley is the only NHL player aside from Gretzky to win a scoring title on assists alone. Prior to NHL regulars leaving for WWII, he had already accumulated a playoff scoring title (1939), two first-team all-star spots, and recorded four straight seasons as a top-five scorer. Cowley was very disciplined and was known as one of the best stickhandlers of his era.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think value wise, Makarov (85th) and Hull (91st)are incredible values, especially when compared to Bossy (22nd) Kharlamov (35th), and Kurri (53rd).

Also love the Black Jack Stewart and Guy Lapointe selections.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The Dynamiterts grab another guy who wasn't around in this same spot in ATD 10, and fill an important need for a top-pairing shutdown blueliner...

D Emile 'Butch' Bouchard

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The Thunder Bay Twins are pleased to select two-time Hart trophy winner C Bill Cowley, the best playmaker of his era.

Cowley is the only NHL player aside from Gretzky to win a scoring title on assists alone. Prior to WWII, he had already accumulated a playoff scoring title (1939), two first-team all-star spots, and recorded four straight seasons as a top-five scorer. Cowley was very disciplined and was known as one of the best stickhandlers of his era.

Just to say, Canada joined WW2 in september 1939, so, only 2 top 5 finishes prior to WW2...

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Just to say, Canada joined WW2 in september 1939, so, only 2 top 5 finishes prior to WW2...

True -- I've corrected that post. I meant that these accomplishments came before a significant number of regulars left the NHL to joined the armed forces (mostly affecting the 1943-1946 seasons).

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The best players didn't start leaving until Schmidt led the way midway through the 41-42 season. The two years really affected by the war were 43-44 and 44-45. Even in 42-43, there was some excellent talent out there.

Cowley's a heck of a pick. An elite playmaker. Won't bring you much in other aspects of the game, but offensively, he's a difference-maker.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In 1937-38 Cowley was a 1st team all-star
In 1938-39 he led the NHL in assists
in 1939 Stanley Cup playoffs scored more assists than his champion Bruins teammates had points.

:teach2: All of the above are pre-war accomplishments.

GodBlessCanada said:
The best players didn't start leaving until Schmidt led the way midway through the 41-42 season.
That means Cowley's 1940-41 Hart trophy isn't discounted, nor his 1st team all-star that season and NHL scoring leader accomplishment.

"Cowboy" Bill Cowley went on to retire in 1947 as the NHL's all-time scoring leader and third behind Gretzky and Lemieux in points per game over a season (1.97). His second Hart may have to be discounted a bit due to war years but really, is there any doubt as to his talent?

cowleywire.gif

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
I think value wise, Makarov (85th) and Hull (91st)are incredible values, especially when compared to Bossy (22nd) Kharlamov (35th), and Kurri (53rd).

Also love the Black Jack Stewart and Guy Lapointe selections.

completely agree.

gap between those players is a lot smaller than the draft indicates.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The two years really affected by the war were 43-44 and 44-45. Even in 42-43, there was some excellent talent out there.

By my count, nine of the NHL's top ten scorers in 1942 played in 1943. (Eight of them played in at least 90% of the games on the schedule, and Syl Apps missed time due to injuries). Sixteen of the top twenty scorers in 1942 played in 1943.

AlanHoff

Sep 26, 2008
With our 4th round selection in ATD #11, the Dauphin Kings select from the Oshawa Generals in the OHL, C Eric Lindros

lindros.jpg

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With our fourth selection, the 97th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are extremely happy to select Center/Left Winger Sidney Gerald Abel

abel2.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion (1943, 1950, 1952)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1941, 1942, 1948, 1949)
First All-Star Team Centre (1949, 1950)
Hart Memorial Trophy (1949)
Maurice Richard Trophy (1949)
Second All-Star Team Centre (1951)
Second All-Star Team Left Wing (1942)
Team Captain (1942-43; 1946-52)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1969)
#12 Retired by the Detroit Red Wings in 1995

Top-5 Scoring (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th)
Top-5 Goalscoring (1st, 3rd)
Top-5 Assist (3rd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 5th, 5th)
Top-5 Hart Nomination (1st, 4th)

"Sid will go down in the Red Wings' history as the greatest competitor and inspirational force the Red Wings ever had." - Historian Ed Fitkin

- #85 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players
- #93 on History of Hockey list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players
- Abel missed two years because of the War.

HHOF said:
Sid Abel excelled in a number of capacities during his extended hockey career. On the ice, he was an accomplished playmaking center and team leader who contributed to three Stanley Cup championships in Detroit.
Joe Pelletier said:
While Howe and Lindsay brought a mixture of styles and aggression that would intimidate their opponents, Abel's creativity and savvy was the backbone of the line and the Red Wings. But don't think he was soft. He could hit as hard or be as abrasive as his line mates.
Red Wings Official Site said:
The Red Wings captain was viewed far and wide as one of those players who possessed the hockey sense that only a few of the greats have

"He was a great leader and a great player," - XXXXXX XXXXXXXX

"He made you feel like every game was just another game and let's go have some fun," - XXXXXX XXXXXX

''There was never any question about his leadership. Sid was very much respected.'' - Gordie Howe

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
LW/C - Anatoli Firsov
Firsov.jpg

1972 Summit Series: A September to Remember said:
Russia too was missing one of their biggest stars, if not their biggest: Anatoli Firsov

Firsov is one of only 4 players to have his number retired in Soviet hockey (XXXXX, Tretiak and Kharlamov being the others). Firsov was perhaps faster than Kharlamov, who of course wowed Canadian audiences with awesome speed. It was Firsov's scoring exploits that helped establish the Soviet Union's dominance of the international hockey scene. Firsov, along with names like XXXXXXX, XXXXXXXx and XXXXXXXXx paved the ways for the powerfully awesome Red Army squads that would prove that they were the equals of the professionals in the National Hockey League.

Anatoli Firsov never had the chance to prove to the world that he could play and excel against North American professionals. That's a shame because that means only a precious few saw perhaps the greatest Russian hockey player ever.

Wikipedia said:
No one was as selflessly dedicated to hockey as Firsov or as hard on himself and fanatical in workouts. He even augmented the tough drills designated by XXXXXXX. Coming down the ice with the puck, he would perform a variety of hops, skips and jumps at the same time.

Accomplishments
* 134 goals in 166 career games with the National Team. (26 in 25 games against Canada)
* 344 goals in 474 career games in the USSR Elite League.
* Was named Best Scorer (Points) on the International Stage 4 times.
* Was named Best Scorer (Goals) on the International Stage 4 times.
* Named Best Forward on the International Stage 3 times.
* Was named to the All-Star team on the International Stage 5 times.
* Was named the Most Valuable Player of the USSR Elite League 3 times.
* Was the best scorer for points and goals once in his USSR Elite League career.
* He is a 6-time all-star in the USSR Elite League.
* Ranked at 84 on the HOH Top-100 List.​

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
the HOH top-100 list was a great step towards recognizing Benedict's dominance for what it really was. Once the last few of us get over our pre-1926 biases, the consensus should be that he's just behind the big-7, or even in their league.

Excellent post. Benedict is the most under-rated goaltender of all time. When all this "Big 7, Big 5, etc" discussion was taking place earlier, I had to bite my tongue as he had not been selected yet. He has every right to be mentioned as a member of a "Top 7" club if people are breaking it down like that.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Excellent post. Benedict is the most under-rated goaltender of all time. When all this "Big 7, Big 5, etc" discussion was taking place earlier, I had to bite my tongue as he had not been selected yet. He has every right to be mentioned as a member of a "Top 7" club if people are breaking it down like that.

I fail to see what makes Dryden better...

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
i've agonized over this pick - three names have been floating around in my head.

that said, i'm going to pick the exact same player i picked in this spot last draft and, for the exact same position.

kenora, please welcome your second-line centre...

marcel dionne (C)
P199201S.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad