All-Time Draft #11, Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I wanted Joe Malone, but I guess I can't go wrong with the classic!

d_2283.jpg

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
**** YOU!

I'm of the opinion that being cursed at by another GM is the true measure of a good ATD pick ;)

Thanks to ToskaLOL for announcing my pick.

I knew I wanted two of Malone, Makarov, or Mikhailov with this pick (my earlier plans of Forsberg being for naught). Ultimately I went with the two best offensive players. I love Mikhailov's well-rounded game, but I wanted as much pop as I could get for my first two forwards. Malone and Makarov bring offense in spades, and should be great pieces to build an offense around.

Wearing #9 From Quebec City, Canada:

"Phantom" Joe Malone

Often described as the NHL's first superstar, Malone was a dominant force in the early years of professional hockey. Noted as being the fastest player in the game, Malone used his blinding speed, deceptive moves, and goal-scoring instincts to lead the NHA and NHL in goals and points multiple times, and establish a single-season record for goals-per-game that still stands to this day.

Wearing #24 from Chelyabinsk, USSR:

Sergei Makarov

Perhaps the best offensive player in Russian history, Makarov led the Soviet league in scoring 9 times in 10 years, and was a USSR First Team Allstar in 8 consecutive years, winning MVP honours 3 times. Internationally, he made the World Championship allstar team 9 times, made the Canada Cup allstar team in 1984 (narrowly missed in 1987 to Mario Lemieux playing RW), and scored 54 points in 45 games between the Canada Cup, Challenge Cup, Rendezvous, and Super Series. An 8-time World Champion, 2 time Olympic gold medalist, Canada Cup Champion, and twice the winner of the Golden Stick as best player in Europe.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
We were disappointed to miss out on Nighbor, but we'll gladly settle for a similar center to avoid changing the game plan. One who excelled both offensively and could take care of business in his own end. A gritty, physical playoff beast. Hampton Roads selects a good Kingston lad:

Doug "Killer" Gilmour (C)

'atta boy! (Thumbs Up)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With our third selection, the 87th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are very proud to select a goaltender who know Detroit's locker room very well, Monsieur Francis Charles Brimsek

d_2283.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion (1939, 1941)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1943, 1946)
First All-Star Team Goalie (1939, 1942)
Second All-Star Team Goalie (1940, 1941, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1948)
Calder Memorial Trophy (1939)
Vezina Trophy (1939, 1942)
Hockey Hall of Fame (1966)

Top-3 Wins (1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd)
Top-3 Shutouts (1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd)
Top-5 Hart Nomination (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Top-5 Vezina Nomination (1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd)

"The kid had the fastest hands I ever saw - like lightning." - XXX XXXX

- #67 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players
- #71 on History of Hockey list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players
- He's nicknamed ''Mr.Zero'' because he twice had three consecutive shutouts in his first year as a goalie for the Boston Bruins..
- He was well-respected by his peers and XXX XXX and Frank Selke asserted that Brimsek was the finest goalie during his era. Canadiens and NHL legend Maurice Richard called Brimsek one of the toughest goaltenders he ever faced.
- Originally, the Detroit Red Wings claimed an interest in the goaltender. But after showing up for a Red Wings training camp, he decided he wanted no part of the Detroit organization citing XXXX XXXXX, the intimidating, dictatorial General Manager who "had a bad habit of favoritism", as the reason. (HockeyArchives.info)
- Won the George L. Davis Jr Trophy in the Eastern American Hokcey League, given to the goaltender who allowed the fewest goals in the season.
- Won the Calder Cup (winners of the International American Hockey League playoffs) in 1938 with the Providence Reds.
- On his 2nd, 3rd and 4th games after XXXXX XXXXXXXX was traded to Detroit for 15 000$, Brimsek registered three shutouts in a row. His shutout streak extended to 231 minutes, 54 seconds, breaking XXXXXXXX's modern mark of 224:47
- In 1940, he became the first American born goaltender to win the Vezina Trophy.
- His career was interrupted from 1943 to 1945 because of the WWII.
- Brimsek registered nine 20-win seasons in a 10 years career in the NHL.
- He was the first American-born and trained player to dominate the league
- He was an original inductee into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 1973.
- In honor of the Hall of Famer, the Frank Brimsek award is given to the top senior goaltender of Minnesota states, as selected by the panel of scouts and coaches.

Quotes:

HHOF said:
Netminder Frank "Mr. Zero" Brimsek was one of the greatest players ever to hail from the United States. In a decade of NHL service, the accurately nicknamed Mr. Zero registered 40 shutouts and won 252 regular-season games.

Brimsek was a classic standup goalie whose confidence on the ice threw off many a shooter. On breakaways and penalty shots he would often lean back calmly against his net as the foe approached. But he was not a passive figure while guarding his cage - Brimsek used his custom-made heavy stick to knock the puck off opposition sticks or to take the feet out from under someone who took too many liberties around his goal.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
We were disappointed to miss out on Nighbor, but we'll gladly settle for a similar center to avoid changing the game plan. One who excelled both offensively and could take care of business in his own end. A gritty, physical playoff beast. Hampton Roads selects a good Kingston lad:

Doug "Killer" Gilmour (C)

'atta boy! (Thumbs Up)

Prepare to be told you took him early. Along with LW ****** *****, he is my favourite player of all-time. And you only got him one spot off from where I have him on my all-time list. But I don't think that sentiment (Gilmour being 90th best all-time) is as widely shared as it should be.

There is lots to like. he's been 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th in playoff scoring (not sure how many players topped this, but it has to be a small list and made up of 90% dynasty players). Top-5 in hart voting three times (something only 51 players can claim), including runner-up to Mario in a year where many top forwards had career years. And excellent defensively. Owner of a selke and top-10 in voting something like nine times. He is intelligent and fearless. His grit and heart rub off on his teammates. God on faceoffs and a master diver. I can't say enough good things about him.

the way the last few drafts have gone, you probably could have had him next round.

In any case, it's unreal that he is not yet in the HHOF after three tries. Any player for which there is a serious top-100 case should be a shoo-in for the hall considering the hall holds about 240 players right now.

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007
Sorry for the Skipped pick fellas, long weekend.

Oilers pick, with there skipped pick Goalie Johnny Bower

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
It's about time. With the exception of Broda and Durnan, Bower is better than every goalie picked since Ken Dryden.

It was a toss up between Brimsek and Bower for me. Another goaltender was in the mix but was just a notch under both of them. Brimsek, him and another goaltender are great selection at that point (Not pimping my selection ;))

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
For the record, I don't think he's the 89th best player of all time. But for the type of team I'm building, he fits the bill perfectly.

i agree with you.

is gilmour the 89th best player of all-time? not in my mind. however, would i select him at this spot as a heart and soul team leader? without question. great pick!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's about time. With the exception of Broda and Durnan, Bower is better than every goalie picked since Ken Dryden.

Let's not revise history now. Clint Benedict was the best goalie of his time. Easily. Are we to believe that a goalie who was clearly the fourth-best of his time was better than someone who was clearly the best in his?

You like playoff performance, we all know that. Benedict has the same four cups as Bower. When he won his four cups, there were 7-13 teams vying for the cup and not just six. He has two Smythe-worthy performances to Bower's one. He has a much better playoff win%, and his GAA drops in the playoffs a lot more significantly than Bower's does. (from 2.48 to 2.20, even though his first games against a western team at age 22 were disatrous - he was 1.83 without those three games)

Even if you want to call playoffs a wash, (which is really generous to Bower), it's no contest in the regular season. Bower is a one time First All-Star Team member. Led the NHL in GAA three times. Led the league in wins once. never led the league in shutouts. And he played behind the best defensive corps in NHL history. Benedict is the Brodeur of his time - Played forever, led his league in wins 8 times, GAA 8 times, and shutouts 7 times.

If All-Star Teams existed back then, Benedict would likely be an 8-time postseason all-star even if the leagues were consolidated.

the HOH top-100 list was a great step towards recognizing Benedict's dominance for what it really was. Once the last few of us get over our pre-1926 biases, the consensus should be that he's just behind the big-7, or even in their league.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
With their 4th selection, the Killarney Country Bear Jamboree are proud to select the fiery competitor, clutch performer par excellence, and leader who backstopped his team to a 4 Cup dynasty with reliable clutch play and a pitbull's territorial instincts...

one_smith03.jpg

"Battlin" Billy Smith

lisa-yell.gif

"Hack the bone!"

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Great pace, everyone. This is more what I envisioned for a weekend.

Silly question: Why is Zamboni Mania not in the Members List? Do you need X number of posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA