All-Time Draft #11 Line-Up Assassination Thread

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Best top-4 in the draft? You be the judge.

Cleghorn
Conacher
Coulter
Horner

Fetisov
Chelios
Desjardins
Reise

Horton
Laperriere
Stanley
Baun

I'd rank these defensemen like this:

Fetisov
Chelios
Cleghorn
Horton
Conacher
Laperriere
Stanley
Coulter
Horner
Reise
Desjardins
Baun

Close.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Jimmy Watson was actually the 4th defenseman I drafted, but I guess Reise does have him beat in terms of allstar selections and such.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Regarding Odie Cleghorn:

I think he is somewhat underrated around here, though the "six times top-5 goal scoring" claim (which is true) distorts the point. Twice (10-11 and 11-12) in the very early NHA days, Cleghorn finished exactly 5th in goal-scoring against a weak competitive field - totalling 54% and 66% of the league leader's goals in these seasons, a very wide 1-5 gap by any standards. Although I generally use pre-merger top-5 finishes as a rough equivalent to top-10's in the modern era, in the case of the NHA years before the big stars (Malone, Nighbor, Lalonde, etc.) got up and rolling, we need more granularity in our value assignments. Long story short, I do not consider Odie Cleghorn's 5th place goals finishes in 1910-11 and 1911-12 of equal value to a modern top-10. Perhaps top-20 value, but definitely not top-10.

Cleghorn's other notable goalscoring finishes are 3rd (1916-17), 1st (1918-19), 5th (1921-22) and 4th (1922-23). In the case of the 3rd place finish in 1916-17, the rest of the field was so far behind the top two (Malone and Nighbor tied), that I think the value of Cleghorn's performance here is probably top-10ish, but not top-5. Similarly, I assign top-10 value to his 4th and 5th place finishes, but not top-5. The 1st place finish (tied with Lalonde) in 1918-19 then stands out as Cleghorn's professional high-water mark, with three other strong years (3 top-10 value goalscoring seasons) and a couple more good ones (2 top-20's for the 1910-11 and 1911-12 seasons). If you break it down, in terms of modern equivalency, here is how I see Odie Cleghorn's offensive resume:

- top-5 goalscoring finishes: 1
- top-10 goalscoring finishes: 4
- top-20 goalscoring finishes: 6

Is that the profile of an ATD 2nd liner? Maybe. I think Cleghorn can definitely play on a 2nd line, but he's going to be fairly low-end in the role.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eagle, I agree with you that your top-4 deserves some love here. I'm rather surprised Boston's:

Harvey - Day
Neilson - Suchy

...top 4 hasn't garnered a mention as being among the best, though I'm guessing this is because of how grossly Jan Suchy and Jim Neilson are underrated around here. Ah, well.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Best top-4 in the draft? You be the judge.

Cleghorn
Conacher
Coulter
Horner

Fetisov
Chelios
Desjardins
Reise

Horton
Laperriere
Stanley
Baun

I'd rank these defensemen like this:

Fetisov
Chelios
Cleghorn
Horton
Conacher
Laperriere
Stanley
Coulter
Horner
Reise
Desjardins
Baun

Close.

No love for Gadsby, MacInnis, White, and Stapleton? :p:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Jimmy Watson was actually the 4th defenseman I drafted, but I guess Reise does have him beat in terms of allstar selections and such.

I'd say Reise is better. But if you wanted both you probably had to take them in the order that you did. Watson, as much as I like him, gets overrated a tad here. Reise is always a great value when selected.

I don't know if it's Top-3, but my Top-4 of:

Raymond Bourque
Alexander Ragulin
Jimmy Thomson
Gus Mortson

Should get some consideration, at least a honourable mention :)

Agree. If we added those to the "pack" Bourque would be on top and Mortson on the bottom, Ragulin around Laperriere/Conacher, and Thomson around Horner/Reise. Not too shabby! they'd fit right in.

Regarding Odie Cleghorn:

I think he is somewhat underrated around here, though the "six times top-5 goal scoring" claim (which is true) distorts the point. Twice (10-11 and 11-12) in the very early NHA days, Cleghorn finished exactly 5th in goal-scoring against a weak competitive field - totalling 54% and 66% of the league leader's goals in these seasons, a very wide 1-5 gap by any standards. Although I generally use pre-merger top-5 finishes as a rough equivalent to top-10's in the modern era, in the case of the NHA years before the big stars (Malone, Nighbor, Lalonde, etc.) got up and rolling, we need more granularity in our value assignments. Long story short, I do not consider Odie Cleghorn's 5th place goals finishes in 1910-11 and 1911-12 of equal value to a modern top-10. Perhaps top-20 value, but definitely not top-10.

I agree a top-10 pre-consolidation isn't worth the same as a top-10 after. (obviously) . However, one thing to remember about the 1911 season is that the NHA was, by far, the top league. The OPHL was the other and it was led by Oren Frood and Ezra Dumart. In 1912, of course, the PCHA sprang up and the NHA was forever a "conference" until consolidation. Discount 1912 if you like, and that is exactly why I am speaking in terms of top-5s and not top-10s, but considering the PCHA hadn't started yet, the only good reason to discount 1911 accomplishments is because Malone and Nighbor hadn't hit their strides yet (Lalonde absolutely had by then), and that's not exactly fair.

Cleghorn's other notable goalscoring finishes are 3rd (1916-17), 1st (1918-19), 5th (1921-22) and 4th (1922-23). In the case of the 3rd place finish in 1916-17, the rest of the field was so far behind the top two (Malone and Nighbor tied), that I think the value of Cleghorn's performance here is probably top-10ish, but not top-5. Similarly, I assign top-10 value to his 4th and 5th place finishes, but not top-5. The 1st place finish (tied with Lalonde) in 1918-19 then stands out as Cleghorn's professional high-water mark, with three other strong years (3 top-10 value goalscoring seasons) and a couple more good ones (2 top-20's for the 1910-11 and 1911-12 seasons). If you break it down, in terms of modern equivalency, here is how I see Odie Cleghorn's offensive resume:

- top-5 goalscoring finishes: 1
- top-10 goalscoring finishes: 4
- top-20 goalscoring finishes: 6

we're not that far off. But you're undercrediting him for 1911 and missing a few good seasons that add to Cleghorn's resume. Here are all nine of his good seasons:

1911: 20 goals, 5th in NHA. No one in the OPHL compares. Walsh and **** lead with 35 and 33. Cleghorn is far behind the leaders but he did outscore all but four players in the top league with no other league similar in talent in existence. Top-5

1912: 23 goals, 5th in NHA. *****, Pitre, ******* lead with 35, 27, 27. The PCHA springs up. A fair assumption would be that of the top-10 scorers in hockey, five come from each league. Top-10

1913: 18 goals, 9th in NHA. Malone and Smith led with 43 and 39. This is what you'd call a "top-20" season.

1915: 21 goals, 7th in NHA. Pitre and Roberts led with 30 and 29. It would be a stretch to call this a top-10 season but it's definitely top-20. (it's worth noting that he was actually 4th in goals per game)

1917: 28 goals, 3rd in NHA. Nighbor and Malone lead with 41. Cleghorn is far behind the leaders but he did outscore all but two players in the top league. Over in the PCHA there is a logjam near the top. Considering how close they all are, I'd be inclined to put those players ahed of Odie. Still, Top-10

1919: Led the NHL. Nuff said. Top-2

1920: 20 goals, 8th in NHL. If you assume roughly 10 of the top-20 scorers are from the NHL and 10 from the PCHA, this is still a top-20 season.

1922: 21 goals, 5th in NHL. By the same logic, this should be a top-10 season when consolidation is assumed.

1923: 20 goals, 4th in NHL. again, a top-10 season.

- Top-5 finishes: 2
- Top-10 finishes: 6
- Top-20 finishes: 9

I agree that it has to be all taken in context, and fully understand how a 4th/5th in a splinter league can become only a top-10 once you adjust (which I have done), but making two 5th place finishes merely top-20 takes that too far.

And although a top-20 is not very impressive on its own, especially in this era, I graded Cleghorn by the same standards as everyone else from his era, and Lalonde and Dunderdale only ended up with 11 top-20 seasons, MacKay had 10, Pitre and Darragh had 9, and Nighbor, Roberts, and Keats had 8.

Cleghorn outscored a ton of guys. When the consolidation era ended, he was 8th in big league goals.

Is that the profile of an ATD 2nd liner? Maybe. I think Cleghorn can definitely play on a 2nd line, but he's going to be fairly low-end in the role.

And that's fine with us. If there are 28 2nd line RWs, some of them have to be lower-end. We think he's a legit guy in that role, roughly 15th-18th among others at that spot. No matter how hard you try, you can't have a top-end guy at every position.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Where do you guys find the top-scoring lists for the NHA?

I use www.sihrhockey.org. it's a pay site ($30/yr) but well worth it. Thornton_19 (Jekyll) and EB have both joined lately and they like it. I don't think Sturm is a member so either he has pieced leaderboards together from individual stats or he's going by the limited leaderboards shown in The Hockey Compendium. Other than that I don't know where one would get this.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Reise has more all-star selections, but I do believe that Watson is the better defenceman. A little bit of bias here - we've had Watson as a No. 4 defenceman before, and I'm a big fan of Jimmy Watson and his brother Joe. Reise was on our radar for a while as a No. 4 to partner with Diesel Mohns, but I would have had Watson ahead of Reise if we hadn't picked Watson last draft. As I stated before, Watson's the prototypical No. 4 Steady Eddie defensive defenceman.

Obviously arrbez got a head start on the rest of us with his blue-line because he picked Fetisov and Chelios. He has two of the top 10 defencemen ever. And with the way he has his team set up, he's going to have Fetisov and Chelios on the ice for 50 minutes per night. And then he found perfect partners to play with Fetisov and Chelios. It's not just that he has Fetisov and Chelios, he has the right guys to play with Fetisov and Chelios. It's not just a personel thing, it's a making the pieces of the puzzle fit thing.

Incidentally, I'd say that Chara is Toronto's real No. 4, not Baun. Chara's one of the defining players of his generation; Baun was a good defenceman who had some great moments and scored a famous goal.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Incidentally, I'd say that Chara is Toronto's real No. 4, not Baun. Chara's one of the defining players of his generation; Baun was a good defenceman who had some great moments and scored a famous goal.

Agreed. Chara isn't perfect, but I think we get overcritical of him at times because we watch him on a nightly basis. I'm certain he's better than Baun, and 3 allstar selections (soon to be 4 with a possible Norris) vs. 0 backs that up.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
There are lots of very good top-4 defenses, with only personal opinion/preference seperating them. TC's top4 deserves a mention, imho it's one of the best.

Denis Potvin-Marcel Pronovost
Babe Siebert-William 'Flash' Hollett

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Reise has more all-star selections, but I do believe that Watson is the better defenceman. A little bit of bias here - we've had Watson as a No. 4 defenceman before, and I'm a big fan of Jimmy Watson and his brother Joe. Reise was on our radar for a while as a No. 4 to partner with Diesel Mohns, but I would have had Watson ahead of Reise if we hadn't picked Watson last draft. As I stated before, Watson's the prototypical No. 4 Steady Eddie defensive defenceman.

Obviously arrbez got a head start on the rest of us with his blue-line because he picked Fetisov and Chelios. He has two of the top 10 defencemen ever. And with the way he has his team set up, he's going to have Fetisov and Chelios on the ice for 50 minutes per night. And then he found perfect partners to play with Fetisov and Chelios. It's not just that he has Fetisov and Chelios, he has the right guys to play with Fetisov and Chelios. It's not just a personel thing, it's a making the pieces of the puzzle fit thing.

Jeez, you're right. I totally missed Chara there. He's better than Baun.

Baun makes an excellent #4, but he's an outstanding #5.

OK, LL has the best D-corps in the draft. I have no problem saying that because I know he shortchanged himself on the forwards to make this happen. Last team that did this, went out in round 1, even if I didn't agree that they should have.

Re: Reise and Watson. Considering I'm a big believer in adjusted +/- it should be no surprise that I like Watson a lot. I had him as a #5 in ATD8 (not bad for a first time, hey?) Half the time Watson was considered "merely" an above average d-man in the league and was a top-15 guy (but not top-5) for the other half of his career when he made the all-star game but not all-star teams.

Reise was twice a top-4 defenseman in the league based on his AST nominations. He played in two ASGs on merit and two more as a cup-winner but I think he was good enough to get in those ASGs on merit as well. Two seasons top-4, two more as a top-10 guy.

Both are hurt by their short careers (9-10 seasons) and both were helped by their very strong teams.

it's actually a lot closer than I thought. It could go either way.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
No love for Gadsby, MacInnis, White, and Stapleton? :p:

Eagle, I agree with you that your top-4 deserves some love here. I'm rather surprised Boston's:

Harvey - Day
Neilson - Suchy

...top 4 hasn't garnered a mention as being among the best, though I'm guessing this is because of how grossly Jan Suchy and Jim Neilson are underrated around here. Ah, well.

There are lots of very good top-4 defenses, with only personal opinion/preference seperating them. TC's top4 deserves a mention, imho it's one of the best.

Your Kelly-Flaman-Goldham-Ivanov is excellent too.

OK, fellas, you can all join the club as contenders for 2nd-best D-corps. LL having Chara as a #4 and Baun as a #5 trumps us all, I'm afraid.

Agreed. Chara isn't perfect, but I think we get overcritical of him at times because we watch him on a nightly basis. I'm certain he's better than Baun, and 3 allstar selections (soon to be 4 with a possible Norris) vs. 0 backs that up.

Baun has 1.

But like I said to GBC a moment ago, Chara is definitely better. He has proven himself to be an all-time great by now. Two more seasons like this and he has a Rob Blake resume. One more after that and he's almost a Pronger.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jeez, you're right. I totally missed Chara there. He's better than Baun.

Baun makes an excellent #4, but he's an outstanding #5.

OK, LL has the best D-corps in the draft. I have no problem saying that because I know he shortchanged himself on the forwards to make this happen. Last team that did this, went out in round 1, even if I didn't agree that they should have.

Re: Reise and Watson. Considering I'm a big believer in adjusted +/- it should be no surprise that I like Watson a lot. I had him as a #5 in ATD8 (not bad for a first time, hey?) Half the time Watson was considered "merely" an above average d-man in the league and was a top-15 guy (but not top-5) for the other half of his career when he made the all-star game but not all-star teams.

Reise was twice a top-4 defenseman in the league based on his AST nominations. He played in two ASGs on merit and two more as a cup-winner but I think he was good enough to get in those ASGs on merit as well. Two seasons top-4, two more as a top-10 guy.

Both are hurt by their short careers (9-10 seasons) and both were helped by their very strong teams.

it's actually a lot closer than I thought. It could go either way.
I think one thing that helped Reise and hurts Watson is that Reise played pre-expansion, when the press was able to watch Reise play 12-14 times a year. You gain a greater appreciation for a guy like that the more you watch him. Watson played post-expansion, when the press didn't get to see him 12-14 times a year, and so they turn to the numbers, instead of actual performance, when trying to determine all-star votes.

Would Watson have been an all-star at some point if the voters had as many chances to watch him as they did during the O6 days? I don't know, but it would have helped Watson's case a lot more if they would have. Watson doesn't get hurt by it as much as say, Serge Savard, but I think Watson's all-star chances would have increased with more viewing.

Worth noting is that Watson did play in the 76 Canada Cup, on the Team Canada entry that had what many believe to be the best defence ever assembled.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
On an unrelated note, how is "Reise" pronounced? I've never heard the name spoken.

haha, I've often wondered that myself. I always say 'Raysh', but really have no idea. You got me curious now. Gonna call my grandfather right now and I'll post let you know in a few minutes!

Edit: He says it's pronounced like Reece.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Team: Glace Bay Miners
GM: Transplanted Caper
Coaches:
Herb Brooks, Rudy Pilous

Vsevolod Bobrov-Elmer Lach-Bernie Geoffrion
George Hay-Joe Primeau-Dave Taylor
Marty Pavelich-Bob Pulford-Floyd Curry
Ab McDonald-Billy Burch-Bill Ezinicki
Eddie Oatman

Bill Barilko-Ed Van Impe
Bert Corbeau

Gump Worsley
Pelle Lindbergh

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
haha, I've often wondered that myself. I always say 'Raysh', but really have no idea. You got me curious now. Gonna call my grandfather right now and I'll post let you know in a few minutes!

Edit: He says it's pronounced like Reece.
I would have thought "Reece," too. But ask mullin. He's the expert when it comes to pronouncing names.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00