All-Time Draft #11 Line-Up Assassination Thread

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Oh man, another terrible team by seventieslord and VCL. :sarcasm:

I don't have much time and maybe this belongs in the other thread, but Cleghorn-Horner is my favourite defensive pairing in the draft. Probably not the absolute best, but pretty high up there and I would give anything to watch them.

So...which guy is the calming influence on that pairing? ;)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Kilkenny review...

I believe this is the second finished product, so here we go...

*Love the first line. It's not Trottier-Bossy or Hull-Oates, but it's close on both front. Trotts is the solid, two-way, playmaking centre to get the puck to Hull. Hull is the hard-shooting gunner to play with Trottier. (Although Hull isn't as good as Bossy in other areas, such as skating, playmaking and puck skills). Tonelli's the physical winger who will open up room for Trotts-Bossy.
*I'm not sold on Zetterberg as a second line LW. He's had one elite season, a few really good seasons, but that's it. I don't buy it. And he doesn't fill a real need on that line. Hextall's a solid, physical goal scorer (although I don't think he's an overwhelming physical presence) and Francis is a skilled two-way playmaker.
*Really like the third line. Solid. None of them are elite, top five guys for the two-way line role, but none of them will be cause for concern, either. Duff? Solid. Top 10 on my list for third line wingers. Money in the bank come playoff time. Brind'Amour? Solid. You can move him up to second line LW, too. (He has experience playing with Hull in St. Lou, but I wouldn't buy into Brindy as a first line LW). Graham? Solid. They're smart, they're skilled, they're physical.
*Fourth line is a solid grind line. There aren't many guys with Primeau's size and speed. Before the concussion problems started, he was the best defensive forward in the league. Dineen brings a solid forechecking presence. I've always had concerns about Ferguson, especially at this level. I'd like a fourth line LW with more speed and smarts. But he's a likeable guy who makes his teammates feel brave.
*One advantage for this team is they have four really good defensive centres. Line matching isn't an issue. You can throw a line with Francis or Trottier out there against the opposition's top centres. It's a nice advantage to have.
*The defence corps is where I have concerns. This team doesn't have a legit No. 1 defenceman, or an elite No. 2. Niedermayer, Murphy and Howell are solid No. 2's. Lowe's a good No. 3. This team will need their defence's sum to be better than the parts, and they'll need more help from the forwards than a lot of teams. The good news is that Kilkenny's forwards are really good defensively. Outside of Hull, there isn't a guy that screams "defensive issues" among their forwards.
*I love the hockey sense that Murphy and Howell provide. But skating is an issue. Their hockey sense will be good enough that they'll get the job done against most lines. But if they face a line with great speed and hockey sense, they could be exposed.
*Glenn Hall's an awesome goaltender. His playoff record is a little hit or miss - I really wish he didn't struggle so much against beatable Detroit teams in the 60s. But when you look at most goalies, their playoff record is hit or miss. Hall's a workhorse, and he's consistent in the regular season. You don't need a great back-up, just a rah-rah type who can accept a 15-20 game schedule, and play well when called upon. Character is the biggest issue when looking for a back-up to Glenn Hall.
*Hitchcock's a good ATD coach. I don't know if he's a good coach for Hull, but he'll like the fact that he has a lot of forwards who know how to backcheck. He's not a great ATD coach - he isn't Blake, Bowman, Arbour or Day - but he's a strong strategist with a good head for the game.

Kilkenny Bustards

GM: DoMakc, John Flyers Fan
Coach: Hitchcock
Captain: Trottier
Alternate Captains: Francis, Lowe, Graham

72 John Tonelli - 19 Bryan Trottier - 16 Brett Hull
40 Henrik Zetterberg - 10 Ron Francis - 12 Bryan Hextall Sr.
8 Dick Duff - 17 Rod Brind'Amour - 33 Dirk Graham
22 John Ferguson - 25 Keith Primeau - 11 Kevin Dineen
21 Ivan Hlinka, HÃ¥kan Loob

27 Scott Niedermayer - 4 Kevin Lowe
3 Harry Howell - 55 Larry Murphy
23 Petr Svoboda - 28 Reed Larson
44 Kimmo Timonen

1 Glenn Hall
? Normie Smith

PP1: Hull-Trottier-Tonelli
Larson-Murphy

PP2: Zetterberg-Brind'amour-Hextall
Niedermayer-Francis

PK1: Brind'amour - Graham
Howell-Lowe

PK2: Primeau - Duff
Niedermayer-Svoboda

PK3: Trottier - Zetterberg
Lowe - Murphy

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Regina Pats review...

*The first line is dynamic. They're highly skilled, they're talented, they're dangerous. They aren't a first line that's going to be much of a factor in the defensive zone, which does hurt their ice time a little bit. But Sittler's going to have a blast feeding Joliat and Lafleur the puck.
*I don't buy Phillips and Cleghorn as second line guys. Ullman's awesome as a second line centre. One of the centres in the draft best-suited to second line duty. Rate him right up there with guys like Francis and Joe Primeau for elite second line centres. I can buy Phillips as a smart third liner, and Cleghorn as a robust fourth liner with a scorer's touch who fits into the "pound-for-pound, one of the toughest players in the draft" types, but as second line guys? It's not there.
*Love the third line. Ramsay's a top five third line LW. Gare's probably a better fit for the second line than Cleghorn, but chemistry pushes him to the third line. Luce is terrific. I always have qualms about reuniting lines from teams that never won a Stanley Cup, but this gives you a real edge early in the season. As guys are getting used to their new linemates, Ramsay-Luce-Gare will know where the other guys are at all times.
*A big fan of the fourth line. I don't view the fourth line as a miscellaneous line. I want a fourth line with speed, aggressiveness, toughness and character, but also skill. This fourth line has that. I'm an especially big fan of Schmautz, who is usually picked too late in the ATD.
*Will echo my partner in crime's respect for the top pairing. It's one of the toughest top pairings in the draft. Horner's offensive dimension is better than some give him credit for. He's by no means a force, but you won't be hearing his break-out passes constantly hitting the boards, either.
*I think this is the role that best-suits Conacher. An anchor for a second pairing. I'm a big Conacher fan. He's one of the guys I've always wanted. But I'm a fan of him as a solid No. 2, not as a No. 1, which is a role he has had in past ATDs. That's a very good second pairing.
*Not many teams would have their captain on the third pairing. But I like it.
*This is a really tough defence. It's aggressive, it's physical. I don't think mobility is an issue. They won't dominate offensively, but they have a trio of defencemen who can effectively move the puck and work the power play.
*Benedict's a terrific goalie. I think I have him No. 11 or 12 on my rankings. There's very little that separates Benedict at No. 11 or 12, and Plante at No. 1.
*Gorman's near the top of my second tier of coaches. Once you get past the top seven or eight coaches, there's a drop-off to that second tier. Gorman's in that second-tier, with guys like Pete Green and Glen Sather. Two things I love about Gorman: his background in the newspaper industry, and his affinity for horse racing.

Aurel Joliat - Darryl Sittler (A) - Guy Lafleur
Tommy Phillips - Norm Ullman - Odie Cleghorn
Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Danny Gare (A)
Harry P. Watson - Jack Adams - Bobby Schmautz

Sprague Cleghorn - Red Horner
Lionel Conacher - Joe Simpson
Jack Marshall - Art Coulter (C)

Clint Benedict
Roberto Luongo

Extras:
C Doug Weight
RW/D Ron Stewart
D/C/LW Goldie Prodger

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Killarney Country Bear Jamboree

GM: Champagne Wishes
Coach: Pete Green
Captain:Milt Schmidt
Alternate Captains:Sylvio Mantha, Larry Aurie

Datsyuk - Morenz - Aurie
Northcott - Schmidt - Broadbent
Galbraith - Carbonneau - Finnigan
Westwick - Skov - Stuart
Broten

Savard - Cameron
Heller - Mantha
Burrows - Sjoberg
Regehr

Smith
Lehman

PPs

Morenz - Schmidt - Broadbent
Savard - Cameron

Northcott - Datsyuk - Aurie
Sjoberg - Broten

PKs

Carbonneau - Finnigan
Savard - Mantha

Datsyuk - Schmidt
Burrows - Regehr​

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
-This was a lot of fun, and definitely a great experience in terms of learning about the game.

as a first-timer in the atd - you did one heck of a job, building a very strong team.

-Positives: I think I have one of the strongest offenses in the ATD, both in quality and quantity. Esposito is in the perfect environment to succeed, what with Cash, Hodge, The Chief and Don Maloney. He also has the best possible Orr replacement in Brad Park, and another option in Leetch. Defensively, with Toppazzini, Middleton, MacLeish, Middleton, Maloney and Wilson, there will also be enough responsibility to balance out some of the gamblers (cough Federko cough Espo).

i like your team alot. it's always difficult to build a team around esposito (since he played a unique style of game) but, you surrounded him with the right parts. for obvious reasons, cash and hodge are perfect linemates. but, i think adding brad park to the roster was a huge step. there will never be another bobby orr but, park is a stellar substitute. he'll be able to control the puck and put shots on the net - allowing espo to play like espo.

-Speaking of Park/Leetch, let me explain why I took both, rather than someone like Pronger: no one in the history of the game comes close to what Orr can bring for 30 minutes. However, having two of the best offensive producers ever from the back-end on the ice for 25-30 minutes apiece is, in my mind, a decent substitute.

-On the defense as a whole, I'm pretty proud of the first three, and a little iffy on the back three. I really wanted Vasko to round out the top four, and tried to both move up to get him and to acquire him after he was drafted. No dice.

your top-three are really solid but, i wouldn't be so down on your bottom three either. personally, i'm a huge mike grant fan - he was arguably one of the best defencemen of his era and could rush the puck better then anyone during his time. he could flat out fly (proven by his speed-skating titles). in my opinion, i think he should definitely be considered for a #3 or 4 spot in the atd.

also, i'm a big fan of huddy. and, i think he's an excellent partner for leetch. he was the defensive presence for coffey's gambling ways during the oilers heydays and, should play the same role with leetch.

-Goal, I'm really happy with. I wasn't so confident with just Vezina; while he played over 300 consecutive games, he never got the opportunity to prove he could handle 70 games a season. That's why I was so overjoyed to get Rollins; he was a guy who could deliver 50-70 starts a year, and steal you games in the process (see: twice top-two in Hart voting). I think this tandem could be good enough to get us to the Finals.

agreed

-Special teams is my biggest strength, I think. Can anyone defend Bucyk-Esposito-Middleton-Park-Leetch for two minutes? Similarly, is there a better threat to score shorthanded than my PK units?

i really like your special teams. that first powerplay line (with leetch and park on the point) is deadly. your pk units are good but, i'm not sure that they would be a huge threat offensively (at least not the first one). meagher was solid defensively but, didn't seem to be much offensively. however, middleton, macleish, leetch, and park will get their share. maybe its just personal bias but, i think the kenora pk is the biggest threat to score in the draft...

-Another negative is the uneven/unproven nature of Huddy, Grant and Barkley. Simply put, can those guys compete with the top 650 of all-time?

yes, definitely, and not sure (i don't really know much about barkley.

-Questions I have: Should Bucyk/Federko/Topp be kept together? I would love to have Bucyk-MacLeish-Middleton together, but my LW is not deep enough for that; Federko would end up between some combination of Wilson, Maloney, Toppazzini and Davidson, and I don't know if any of those work so well. Wilson-Federko-Davidson might, though. Another question, although I guess a couple people have answered it in the Draft Summary: are Park-Bouchard-Leetch-Huddy my optimal pairings? I considered Park-Leetch-Huddy-Bouchard at one point, but that second unit would be listless offensively.

Thanks and I'll begin talking about other lineups shortly!

i like your defensive pairings as they are and, would probably keep the offensive lines as they are.

solid team all around!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
*The first line is dynamic. They're highly skilled, they're talented, they're dangerous. They aren't a first line that's going to be much of a factor in the defensive zone, which does hurt their ice time a little bit. But Sittler's going to have a blast feeding Joliat and Lafleur the puck.
*I don't buy Phillips and Cleghorn as second line guys. Ullman's awesome as a second line centre. One of the centres in the draft best-suited to second line duty. Rate him right up there with guys like Francis and Joe Primeau for elite second line centres. I can buy Phillips as a smart third liner, and Cleghorn as a robust fourth liner with a scorer's touch who fits into the "pound-for-pound, one of the toughest players in the draft" types, but as second line guys? It's not there.
*Love the third line. Ramsay's a top five third line LW. Gare's probably a better fit for the second line than Cleghorn, but chemistry pushes him to the third line. Luce is terrific. I always have qualms about reuniting lines from teams that never won a Stanley Cup, but this gives you a real edge early in the season. As guys are getting used to their new linemates, Ramsay-Luce-Gare will know where the other guys are at all times.
*A big fan of the fourth line. I don't view the fourth line as a miscellaneous line. I want a fourth line with speed, aggressiveness, toughness and character, but also skill. This fourth line has that. I'm an especially big fan of Schmautz, who is usually picked too late in the ATD.
*Will echo my partner in crime's respect for the top pairing. It's one of the toughest top pairings in the draft. Horner's offensive dimension is better than some give him credit for. He's by no means a force, but you won't be hearing his break-out passes constantly hitting the boards, either.
*I think this is the role that best-suits Conacher. An anchor for a second pairing. I'm a big Conacher fan. He's one of the guys I've always wanted. But I'm a fan of him as a solid No. 2, not as a No. 1, which is a role he has had in past ATDs. That's a very good second pairing.
*Not many teams would have their captain on the third pairing. But I like it.
*This is a really tough defence. It's aggressive, it's physical. I don't think mobility is an issue. They won't dominate offensively, but they have a trio of defencemen who can effectively move the puck and work the power play.
*Benedict's a terrific goalie. I think I have him No. 11 or 12 on my rankings. There's very little that separates Benedict at No. 11 or 12, and Plante at No. 1.
*Gorman's near the top of my second tier of coaches. Once you get past the top seven or eight coaches, there's a drop-off to that second tier. Gorman's in that second-tier, with guys like Pete Green and Glen Sather. Two things I love about Gorman: his background in the newspaper industry, and his affinity for horse racing.

Aurel Joliat - Darryl Sittler (A) - Guy Lafleur
Tommy Phillips - Norm Ullman - Odie Cleghorn
Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Danny Gare (A)
Harry P. Watson - Jack Adams - Bobby Schmautz

Sprague Cleghorn - Red Horner
Lionel Conacher - Joe Simpson
Jack Marshall - Art Coulter (C)

Clint Benedict
Roberto Luongo

Extras:
C Doug Weight
RW/D Ron Stewart
D/C/LW Goldie Prodger

Thanks, that's 90% positive so we must be onto something. I was sure five months ago that I'd never build a better team than I did in ATD10, but VCL and I have done just that.

I do have three things to address, however:

1. Joliat is the first line's defensive conscience. He's descibed as a relentless backchecker. With Sittler being average defensively and Lafleur being a bit of a free spirit, we're par for the course in terms of defensive ability from the top line.

2. In regards to Phillips, I refer you to what a very smart GM who is bound for his fourth straight division finals:

EagleBelfour said:
If anyone think Tommy Phillips isn't a 2nd liner or even a above average 2nd liner, take 10-15 minutes and go read some on him.

I practically wrote a research essay on the guy. You can click on his name to learn more. To summarize:

- He was often regarded as the top LW, and even top player, in the game, during the primes of Frank McGee and Russell Bowie.
- For five straight seasons, he was top-3 in his league in scoring, four of those times 1st or 2nd.
- He absolutely dominated two Stanley Cup series. In 1904 his eight goals led the cup finals, doubling the next-best, Alf Smith. Frank McGee and Si Griffis had 3. In 1907, during the two challenges that he first won with Kenora and then lost to the Wanderers, he tied with another hall of famer for the lead with 9 goals. Next-highest? Moose Johnson with 6 and Lester Patrick with 4.
- When reading about Phillips, it becomes clear that the only things that were ever really able to stop him were slushy ice and an ankle injury.
- He was one of the best playoff scorers of the per-consolidation era and the best of the challenge era. With games against extremely weak challengers excluded, only Lalonde and Foyston have more than his 22 goals in cup matches.
- Tons of praise from contemporaries exists. Art Ross called him the best player he has ever seen, and Lester Patrick, who played against Phillips in two cup series, put Phillips on his all-time team in 1925, the criteria being "physique, stamina, courage, speed, stick-handling, goal-getting ability, skill in passing, proper temperament and, above all, hockey brains."
- You like to know how a player played the game. Numerous quoted exist not only about how good he was, but why he was so good. Phillips was a born leader, had blazing speed, dazzling stickhandling, and a heavy shot, was the best backchecker of his time, was courageous and creative, and saved his best for big games. The accounts of how he played against a dominant powerhouse team like the Silver Seven are truly attention-grabbing. What more could you possibly want in a player?

3. Odie Cleghorn. Do you realize Cleghorn finished in the top-5 in goalscoring in his league six times? Here are aome other preconsolidation players and how many times they achieved the same:

Didier Pitre - 7 (1st line)
Babe Dye - 6 (1st line)
Frank Fredrickson - 6 (3rd line)
Frank Foyston - 6 (2nd line)
Mickey MacKay - 5 (2nd line)
Cyclone Taylor - 5 (currently a defenseman)
Gord Roberts - 5 (4th line)
Harry Hyland - 5 (3rd line)
Duke Keats - 5 (2nd line C!)
Tommy Smith - 4 (3rd line)
Tommy Dunderdale - 4 (4th line)
Punch Broadbent - 3 (2nd line)
Jack Darragh - 3 (2nd line)
Eddie Oatman - 2 (spare)
Scotty Davidson - 2 (spare)

Half these players are on scoring lines in this draft - and rightfully so.

Pitre is a better player than Cleghorn but used as an example of a player from the same era at the same position to illustrate where Cleghorn stands. Dye, of course, was usually in the top-2 when he was in the top-5. Broadbent, another RW with the same birth year, doesn't come close in goalscoring but he gets put on a 1st/2nd line every single draft.

Cleghorn wasn't just racking up a lot of lower-end spots in the leaderboard either - he led the NHL in goals once. Pitre, Hyland, Darragh, Oatman, & Davdison never led their league. Fredrickson, Roberts, Broadbent and Keats (in the WCHL) did it once each. He's right in their league. Definitely one of the 50 best scoring RWs ever.

Besides, Ullman really should be on someone else's first line instead of our second line, and he and Phillips can carry the weight. Can't have a perfect lineup in every single position, and if Cleghorn's a weak link, we're laughin'.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Thank you for your critical review, it's very important for me as rookie to hear where i can improve (besides my English). The most used word in your review is "solid", and that's how I feel about our team, i don't think it's necessary something negative.

*I'm not sold on Zetterberg as a second line LW. He's had one elite season, a few really good seasons, but that's it. I don't buy it. And he doesn't fill a real need on that line. Hextall's a solid, physical goal scorer (although I don't think he's an overwhelming physical presence) and Francis is a skilled two-way playmaker.
As for Hextall's physical presence, i don't know what do mean under overwhelming, but Pelletier notes him as "one of hockey's hardest hitters".

Herb Goren said:
He was the hardest bodychecking forward I had seen in more than forty years of watching hockey.

i agree that Z isn't ideal 2nd line winger, but we wanted somebody who will be very good defencively, and can contribute in the playoffs and there wasn't that many players who fit the bill at that point of the draft. Zetterberg is elite defencively, his last two seasons were Selke-worthy, he is better defencively then Datsyuk and was used as Detroit's shutdown center. He'll be complimentary player on this line with mainly defencive responsobilities, but with Francis as his center he'll be able contribute offencively, but i think his playoffs production absolutely justifies his 2nd LW status.

Would you rather move Brind'Amour to the second line and let Zetterberg center the third line? I think Hank is better suited for the left wing then center, because there he won't have to carry his line offencively.

*The defence corps is where I have concerns. This team doesn't have a legit No. 1 defenceman, or an elite No. 2. Niedermayer, Murphy and Howell are solid No. 2's. Lowe's a good No. 3. This team will need their defence's sum to be better than the parts, and they'll need more help from the forwards than a lot of teams. The good news is that Kilkenny's forwards are really good defensively. Outside of Hull, there isn't a guy that screams "defensive issues" among their forwards.
*I love the hockey sense that Murphy and Howell provide. But skating is an issue. Their hockey sense will be good enough that they'll get the job done against most lines. But if they face a line with great speed and hockey sense, they could be exposed.

Our defencive corps are by no means outstanding, but they all are smart and play mistake free hockey (this may not apply to Larsonm it's hard to judge him, since he play for Dead Wings). Our team is built on team defence, our defencemen will get more then enough help from forwards and they have Glenn Hall behind them. Niedermayer and Larson arevery good rushers, Murphy is outstanding outlet passer, Svoboda and Howell were good passers too, so don't worry about our transition game.

*Hitchcock's a good ATD coach. I don't know if he's a good coach for Hull

He coached Hull to Stanley Cup, and Brett bought into Hichcock's defencive concept.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
a_logo.gif

Anyang Halla

Coach: Anatoly Tarasov

Toe Blake - Mario Lemieux - Jari Kurri
Johnny Gottselig - Ralph Backstrom - George Armstrong
Mike McPhee - Vladimir Shadrin - Jim Peters
Slava Kozlov - Vyacheslav Starshinov - Helmut Balderis
Willi Plett

Frantisek Pospisil - Börje Salming
Herb Gardiner - Vitaly Davydov
Jerry Korab - Al Iafrate
Darius Kasparaitis

Jiri Holecek
Vladimir Dzurilla​

C: George Armstrong
A: Vyacheslav Starshinov
A: Mario Lemieux

PP1: Toe Blake - Mario Lemieux - Jari Kurri - Börje Salming - Vitaly Davydov

PP2:George Armstrong - Vyacheslav Starshinov - Helmut Balderis - Frantisek Pospisil - Al Iafrate

PK1: Mike McPhee - Vladimir Shadrin - Herb Gardiner - Vitaly Davydov

PK2:George Armstrong - Ralph Backstrom - Frantisek Pospisil - Börje Salming

Last edited:

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
a_logo.gif

Anyang Halla

Coach: Anatoly Tarasov

Toe Blake - Mario Lemieux - Jari Kurri
Johnny Gottselig - Ralph Backstrom - George Armstrong
Mike McPhee - Vladimir Shadrin - Jim Peters
Slava Kozlov - Vyacheslav Starshinov - Helmut Balderis
Willi Plett

Frantisek Pospisil - Börje Salming
Herb Gardiner - Vitaly Davydov
Jerry Korab - Al Iafrate
Darius Kasparaitis

Jiri Holecek
Vladimir Dzurilla​

C: George Armstrong
A: Vyacheslav Starshinov
A: Mario Lemieux

PP1: Toe Blake - Mario Lemieux - Jari Kurri - Börje Salming - Vitaly Davydov

PP2:George Armstrong - Vyacheslav Starshinov - Helmut Balderis - Frantisek Pospisil - Al Iafrate

PK1: Mike McPhee - Vladimir Shadrin - Herb Gardiner - Vitaly Davydov

PK2:Johnny Gottselig - Ralph Backstrom - Frantisek Pospisil - Bärje Salming

Another really solid entry. Again some thoughts of mine.

* I love the European-factor. Starshinov, Balderis and Pospisil are still a bit underappreciated in my eyes.

* Your first line is dynamite. Certainly a line you can contain but will never shut-down completely. With Kurri and Blake it also offers exellent two-way play which gives Mario all the freedom he needs offensively. A huge, huge threat to anyone.

* Line 2 is a fine two-way unit. No exactly an offensive dynamo but they sure can put the puck in the net when needed. They will definetly provide some fine defensive play too.

* 2/3rd's of your 4th line are a potential second line. Both Starshinov and Balderis are dynamic scorers. Slava Kozlov is a fine complimentary player since he can easily adept their playing style. Also one of the 90's better playoff performers. He is 7th in goals scored between 94-95 and 03-04 and second in GWG only trailing Joe Sakic.

* Your defense is good but not great. Salming and Pospisil is a fine first pairing as well as Gardiner - Davydov is a good second pairing. I think your 3rd pairing is a little too risky. Both Iafrate and Korab are sometimes prone to dangerous plays as fas as I know.

* Major probs for reuniting the Czech goalie tandem of the 70's. Holocek is a great goalie and with Dzurilla he has the perfect back-up.

* Overall another team that I like a lot. Some might argue it lacks secondary scoring but I think your fourth line will get the job done properly.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
i know present the completed kenora thistles...have at it

Kenora Thistles
1907 Stanley Cup Champions

Home Rink: Thistle Rink (1920), Kenora, Ontario
GM's: papershoes
Coach: Glen Sather
Assistant Coach: John Muckler
Captain: Mark Messier
Alternates: Wayne Gretzky, Viktor Kuzkin, Mike Ramsey

#11 Mark Messier (C) - #99 Wayne Gretzky (A) - #15 Anders Hedberg
#10 Dennis Hull - #16 Marcel Dionne - #7 Joe Mullen
Tommy Smith - #8! Frank Frederickson - #51 Paul MacLean
#13! Johnny Sorrell - #12 Steve Kasper - #17 Mike Foligno
extras: #22 Vic Hadfield

#77 Paul Coffey - #5 Mike Ramsey(A)
#2 Nikolai Sologubov - #4 Viktor Kuzkin (A)
#55 Lennart Svedberg - #24 Bob Turner
extra: #21 Randy Gregg

#1 Tiny Thompson
John Hutton​

Power play units:
PP1: Mark Messier - Wayne Gretzky - Anders Hedberg - Paul Coffey - Lennart Svedberg
PP2: Tommy Smith - Marcel Dionne - Joe Mullen - Nikolai Sologubov - Viktor Kuzkin

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Mark Messier - Wayne Gretzky - Paul Coffey - Nikolai Sologubov
PK2: Steve Kasper - Joe Mullen - Viktor Kuzkin - Mike Ramsey
PK3: Johnny Sorrell - Mike Foligno - Bob Turner - Nikolai Sologubov

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
as a first-timer in the atd - you did one heck of a job, building a very strong team.

Thank you very much!

i really like your special teams. that first powerplay line (with leetch and park on the point) is deadly. your pk units are good but, i'm not sure that they would be a huge threat offensively (at least not the first one). meagher was solid defensively but, didn't seem to be much offensively. however, middleton, macleish, leetch, and park will get their share. maybe its just personal bias but, i think the kenora pk is the biggest threat to score in the draft...

I mentioned the first one as a threat to score because of Toppazzini's excellence in that category. He had an NHL-record seven in 1963-64; prior to that, it doesn't look like the stat was tracked, so I don't know.

solid team all around!

Thanks again!

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Here are this year's Smokies with our regular season line-up. Things could change to a more traditional two scoring lines set-up depending on the playoff opponent:

Home Rink: Cominco Arena
GM: Shawn Mullin and pappyline
Coach: Dick Irvin Sr.
Assistant Coach: Claude Ruel
Captain: Dave Keon
Alternate Captain: Doug Wilson
Alternate Captain: Ed Litzenberger

LW Clark Gillies - C Dave Keon - RW Mike Bossy
LW Vladimir Krutov - C Duke Keats - RW Ed Litzenberger
LW Dave Balon - C Troy Murray - RW Claude Provost
LW Charlie Simmer - C Ulf Nilsson - RW Rene Robert

D Rod Langway - D Doug Wilson
D Moose Vasko - D Neil Colville
D Reijo Ruotsalainen - D Gary Bergman

G Terry Sawchuk
G Charlie Hodge

Extras: C/LW Ray Getliffe, Behn Wilson

PP Unit 1: Simmer-Keon-Bossy-Wilson-Ruotsalainen
PP Unit 2: Krutov-Nilsson-Litzenberger-Colville-Robert
PP Unit 3: Gillies-Keats-Provost-Wilson-Ruotsalainen

PK Unit 1: Keon-Provost-Langway-Vasko
PK Unit 2: Murray-Gillies-Wilson-Bergman
PK Unit 3: Keats-Balon-Langway-Vasko

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I did it GBC, a tradeless draft as promised, with help from a co-GM to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Thunder Bay Twins

GMs: VanIslander & Hockey Outsider
Coach: Billy Reay

Roy Conacher - Bill Cowley - Alexander Maltsev
Paul Kariya - Mike Modano - Daniel Alfredsson
Adam Graves - Phil Goyette - Bobby Rousseau
Louis Berlinquette - John Madden - Martin St. Louis
Milan Novy, Tumba Johansson

Chris Pronger - Nicklas Lidstrom
Sergei Zubov - Gary Suter
Ulf Samuelsson - Bill Hajt
Steve Duchesne

Ken Dryden
Andy Moog​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Boston Braves review...

*Applause for reuniting the Kharlamov-Petrov-Mikhailov line. Reuniting lines can have its drawbacks, but when I look at these three guys, I see three players who are credible first liners. It's not like reuniting the Krauts, or the GAG Line, or the Nitro Line, where you have one or two players who aren't good enough for the role their cast in.
*Dale Hawerchuk was often a victim of inadequate linemates in Winnipeg. Nothing against Paul MacLean or any of the other forwards who flanked Hawerchuk with the Jets, but they weren't at Hawerchuk's level. The same can't be said for the second line. Elias? Solid second line LW in the ATD. Good two-way player. Strong instincts. Gordie Drillon? A tad one-dimensional, but he has a nose for the net. This line lacks a bonafide physical presence, but they should be able to score.
*The third line does not lack a bonafide physical presence. One of the toughest third lines in the draft. Morrow? Tough as nails. Otto? One of the best big men for a third line role. Sutter? He's a Sutter. I don't know if I quite buy Morrow as a third line guy just yet. Fourth liner? No doubt about it. I also don't think he deserves an "A" just yet. But Brenden's one of my all-time favourite players - hey, I know the guy and some of his family members - so I can't say too much negative about him.
*I'm not sure if this team will get much offensively from the third and fourth lines. Morrow and Shack have had their moments, and Drury's The Man when it comes to the playoffs. But I don't think any of these players have had a point-per-game season, or a top 10 finish in goals, assists or points. They're going to be tough to play against, and they'll give you great efforts and aggressiveness, but as far as offensive contributions, they'll be minimal.
*I don't buy Nilsson as a 13th forward, either. Not from an ability stand-point. He's among the best stick-handlers ever. But as far as his attitude, I'm concerned. He can be a malcontent, and I don't want that from my 13th forward.
*Major props for drafting Robinson and Lapointe. Any time you can get two-thirds of the Big 3, your defence is in great shape. Robinson's a one-of-a-kind player in the draft. There's nobody like him. Lapointe's a great combo of skill and toughness.
*I don't know if Persson and K. Morrow played together regularly during the Islanders' dynasty. If they did, that's a shrewd move getting them back together. I think reuniting defence pairings is better than reuniting forwards. But at the very least, you snared a pair of blue-liners who are familiar with each other. Morrow's a rock. He won't get you anything offensively, but in his own zone, he's a force.
*Good to see that Langevin is back in the ATD, and he won't be employed as a No. 2 defenceman.
*To reiterate previous statements on Hainsworth: he's not as good as some would have you believe, based on his unbreakable shutout record. But he's not as bad as some would have you believe. He's a good, credible No. 1, in the Tiny Thompson/Eddie Belfour/Gump Worsley class of goaltenders. That's okay. People forget he was into his 30s when the forward pass was introduced in 29.
*Richter's one of the guys who I felt finally went where he should. Solid back-up.
*Burns is going to love those bottom six forwards. Morrow and Otto are Burns types. Above all else, Burns wants aggressiveness and work ethic. He'll like this team.

Boston Braves

Coach: Pat Burns
Captain: Boris Mikhailov
Alternate Captains: Larry Robinson, Dale Hawerchuk, Brenden Morrow

#17 Valeri Kharlamov-#16 Vladimir Petrov-#13 Boris Mikhailov
#26 Patrik Elias-#10 Dale Hawerchuk-#12 Gordie Drillon
#11 Brenden Morrow-#29 Joel Otto-#21 Duane Sutter
#23 Eddie Shack-#18 Chris Drury-#25 Mike Keane
#14 Kent Nilsson, #32 Milan Hejduk

#19 Larry Robinson-#2 Babe Pratt
#5 Guy Lapointe-#3 Jean-Guy Talbot
#7 Stefan Persson-#6 Ken Morrow
#25 Dave Langevin

#1 George Hainsworth
#35 Mike Richter

Powerplay
Kharlamov-Hawerchuk-Drillon
Robinson-Lapointe

Elias-Petrov-Mikhailov
Pratt-Persson

Penalty Kill
Otto-Mikhailov
Robinson-Lapointe

Petrov-Morrow
Morrow-Talbot​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Colorado Avalanche review...

*Zamboni Mania's first foray into the ATD is a talented team that has the potential to do some damage offensively. The first line has excellent skill, but do they have the physical presence to succeed? Perrault and Cournoyer's speed and skill will cause fits for opponents, and Robitaille will bring a threat trailing the play and driving the net to scoop up the garbage goals - something Luc did so well for so many seasons. But who's going to open up room? Who's going to hit? Who's going to work the corners?
*Ditto the second line. Again, they're not soft. But they lack the imposing physical presence. Sundin has great size, but he's a guy who uses that size more so for puck protection and offensive plays than for hitting. In this draft, you need the complimentary guys, the guys who can do the dirty work and throw the hits to keep the opposition accountable. The top two lines will score, especially against teams that aren't strong defensively, but they'll run into problems against teams that have physical play, smarts and speed.
*If you want the third line to log big minutes against the opposition's top lines, then Nolan's out of place. He'd look a lot better on the fourth line. John MacLean isn't a natch for third line duty, but he's better than Nolan, who would slide very nicely into a fourth line role. Herbie Lewis is one of the best defensive LWs in the draft. He and Damphousse can play against the opposition's best players.
*The nice thing about a guy like Holik is he can play different roles. He can play on the third line. He can play on the fourth line. He can play LW. He can play C. He never became the 40-goal guy people thought he'd be when he left Czechoslovakia, but he was a very valuable player from about 1995-2001.
*Pierre Pilote is an ace. Georges Boucher is a solid No. 2. Not sold on Boucher's skating ability - it could be an issue against teams with a quick, skilled front line. But he's smart enough to get by.
*Glad you didn't have Boivin-Boucher as a tandem. On the one hand, they'd be a rough, tough duo to play against. On the other, skating would be a big issue.
*As a whole, it's a rough, tough, mean defence. You have a lot of bad ***** out there. A lot of guys who can clear the front of the net. And a lot of guys who can provide protection to your skilled forwards.
*I don't like Kevin Hatcher as a No. 7. I love his skill and toughness. He can be a force. When he wants to be. But consistency wasn't his friend, and he doesn't have the character of his little brother.
*You can't go wrong with Roy in net. I don't see the point in picking Lorne Chabot. You don't need a Lorne Chabot. Chabot's an outstanding back-up who's just a small cut beneath being a No. 1. He's not the guy I'd for a back-up who'll play 15-20 games per year.
*I like the Demers-Neilson tandem. Two guys who are in that lower tier for coaches. But they have good minds for the game. And Neilson was so great at knowing his players. The only thing about Neilson is he favoured the defensive side of the game, and some guys on this team might not appreciate that.

Colorado Avalanche

Head Coach: Jacques Demers
Ass. Coach: Roger Neilson

Luc Robitaille-Gilbert Perreault-Yvan Cournoyer
Michel Goulet-Mats Sundin(A)-Bobby Bauer
Herbie Lewis-Vinny Damphousse-Owen Nolan(A)
Bobby Holik-Red Sullivan-John MacLean
Wilf Paiement

Pierre Pilote(C)-Georges Boucher
Leo Boivin-Randy Carlyle
Rob Ramage-Carol Vadnais
Kevin Hatcher

Patrick Roy
Lorne Chabot​

1st powerplay: Luc Robitaille-Gil Perreault-Yvan Cournoyer-Pierre Pilote-Butch Boucher
2nd powerplay: Michel Goulet-Mats Sundin-Owen Nolan-Carol Vadnais-Randy Carlyle

1st penalty kill: Bobby Holik-Herbie Lewis-Pierre Pilote-Leo Boivin
2nd penalty kill: Vinny Damphousse-John MacLean-Randy Carlyle-Rob Ramage

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Inglewood Jacks review...

*This is more like it, arrbez. After a couple teams that were eliminated in the first round, arrbez has assembled a much better entry.
*Very interesting first line. Good skill abounds. Good toughness from all three. I'm not a fan of Malone's upright skating style, but he made it work. Smith and Denneny provide toughness. If Denneny can keep up with Malone and Smith, he'll be a dangerous player. First line will score, and they'll cause problems with their toughness.
*I can buy into Heatley as a second line LW. He's not overpowering physically, but he'll finish his checks, he'll work hard in the corners, he'll battle hard. And as arrbez mentioned earlier, he has a bullet of a shot. It's rare when a team's best offensive threat (Makarov) is on the second line. They won't get you much beyond their offensive contributions, though, and they could have some trouble against a more physical defence.
*This might be the best third line in the draft. There are issues with having such a great third line (if you want them to be fully utilized, you have to line match, and that could lead them to playing more than you'd like, or too many men calls). Metz and Klukay were great together, and Mosdell is really underrated.
*Tough fourth line. Really tough. They're aggressive, they're hard on the forecheck, but they can score, too. I don't know if they're good enough defensively to play against an opponent's top line, as Nichols wasn't known for back-checking, and Secord could have problems against a fast-skating RW.
*As stated before, great job with the spare forwards. Bridgman and Doan are great for those roles. Love Doaner's character and leadership. Love Bridgman's size for a fill-in down the middle.
*Getting Chelios and Fetisov was a coup. Bottom line it for you: with them playing on separate pairings, it means one of them will be on the ice for about 50 minutes per game. As a division rival, that's something we'll have to account for.
*That's probably the best top four in the draft. Outside of maybe LL's, who went defence with five of his first seven picks. DesJardins is a solid, steady, two-way presence, while Watson epitomizes the Steady Eddie defenceman.
*Lumley's in the bottom tier for No. 1 goalies. I don't think he'll be a hinderance, especially in our division, where nobody went goalie in the first two rounds. Is he as good as Bower or Gardiner? No. Is he a cut beneath them? Yes. Will that be the difference? No. Going with Rayner so soon was a very smart move. I think Rayner was right behind Lumley on my list. If there is one thing holding you back, it will be....
*Coaching. This is coming from the guy who had Sinden as his coach in his first draft, and later said it was a mistake to pick him. I like Sinden, but he's in the bottom-tier for coaches in the ATD. And in a draft where there's so little to choose between the teams, coaching could be the difference. If it is, you're in trouble.

Well, here's my Inglewood Jacks (regular season version):

Coach Harry Sinden

Cy Denneny - Joe Malone - Hooley Smith
Dany Heatley - Denis Savard - Sergei Makarov
Nick Metz - Ken Mosdell - Joe Klukay
Al Secord - Bernie Nicholls - Bill Guerin
Mel Bridgman - Shane Doan

Slava Fetisov - Eric Desjardins
Chris Chelios - Jimmy Watson
Leo Reise jr - Glen Harmon
Pat Egan

Harry Lumley
Chuck Rayner

PP1: Denneny - Savard - Makarov - Fetisov - Desjardins
PP2: Heatley - Smith - Malone - Chelios - Reise

PK1: Metz - Klukay - Chelios - Watson
PK2: Smith - Mosdell - Fetisov - Harmon

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Wacken Warriors review...

*If I was a defenceman who had to defend Sakic and Bathgate on a 2-on-1, I'd break out in hives. The skill that those two possess is scary good. Both guys can kill you with their goal-scoring and playmaking abilities. Linemates won't be an issue for Bathgate. Oh wait, Sid Smith is on that line, too? That's a dangerous first line that can also play against the opposition's top line. Not overly physical, but they'll be okay. One thing to love about this line is its consistency. You know you're going to get production from these three.
*Noble's a tough SOB. He won't win the draft's good guy award, but he's mean and he's a heck of a dangler. Very familiar with his RW on this line, Babe Dye. They did a lot of damage together. Dye's skating could be an issue. Skill and skating aren't as issue for Rick Martin.
*Two very good checking lines. Tkaczuk and Prystai are terrific defensively and very smart players who can chip in with a few goals. And both lines have very tough, physical RWs with Nestorenko and Dornhoefer.
*The defence doesn't have an a true ace, but it's deep. Quackenbush will give you 23-25 minutes per game of skilled, steady play. As we've said around here before, he's the poor man's Lidstrom. I've always doubted whether Quackenbush can handle the rigours of be a No. 1 in the ATD, but as a No. 2, he'd be awesome. He won't hurt you.
*Reardon and Johnson are great for the roles they're pegged in. Schoenfeld, Tikal and Tinordi are solid. I think Tinordi's a bit of a "what if" guy, and a player who gets picked largely based on one magnificent post-season in 1991 (the poor guy never could stay healthy), but damn he was great in 1991.
*Jacques Plante is, for my money, the best goalie ever. So you really only need a rah-rah guy to be the back-up. As long as McNeil plays well when called upon, and handles the No. 2 role, well, your goaltender will be fine.
*Cecil Hart's a solid, second-tier coach. Won't hurt you. But he probably won't be the difference in a series, either.

Jungosi proudly presents the 2009 Wacken Warriors

Coach : Cecil Hart

Sid Smith - Joe Sakic - Andy Bathgate
Rick Martin - Reg Noble - Babe Dye
Hec Kilrea - Walt Tkaczuk - Eric Nesterenko
Ryan Walter - Metro Prystai - Gary Dornhoefer
Alexander Almetov

Bill Quackenbush - Ken Reardon
Moose Johnson - Jim Schoenfeld
Frantisek Tikal - Mark Tinordi
Jimmy Roberts , Battleship Leduc

Jacques Plante
Gerry McNeil

Powerplay :

Sid Smith - Joe Sakic - Andy Bathgate
Bill Quackenbush - Jim Schoenfeld

Rick Martin - Reg Noble - Cecil Dye
Ken Reardon - Moose Johnson

Penalty Kill :

Kilrea - Tkaczuk
Quackenbush - Reardon

Walter - Prystai
Johnson - Schoenfeld

Dornhoefer will see a lot of PK time too. Smith and Sakic will also take their share.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Soviet Union
600px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_1923.svg.png

Head Coach: Hap Day
Assistant Coach: Arkady Chernyshev

Woody Dumart - Syl Apps (A) - Pavel Bure
Anatoli Firsov - Sergei Fedorov - Dino Ciccarelli
Jiri Holik - Red Berenson (A) - Blair Russel
Venjamin Alexandrov - Thomas Steen (A) - Bengt-Ã…ke Gustafsson
Erich Kühnhackl

Valeri Vasiliev (C) - Vladimir Lutchenko
Si Griffis - Vladimir Konstantinov
Harvey Pulford - Wally Stanowski
Ivan Tregubov

Vladislav Tretiak
Mike Vernon

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
*Lumley's in the bottom tier for No. 1 goalies. I don't think he'll be a hinderance, especially in our division, where nobody went goalie in the first two rounds. Is he as good as Bower or Gardiner? No. Is he a cut beneath them? Yes. Will that be the difference? No. Going with Rayner so soon was a very smart move. I think Rayner was right behind Lumley on my list.

It wasn't till I took Lumley that I actually realized that there was no Hasek or Plante level goalie in the division. It was kind of a relief to know that I wouldn't be dominated at that position (at least in the first round). But then again, it just means that the other teams are probably that little bit stronger somewhere else in the lineup because they waited on a goalie like I did.

Thanks for the review, btw.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Thanks for the review GBC.

Raleh: Like seventies said, "You **** with the bull, you get the HORNS!" ;)

Just one thing to say about your team Jungo, I never noticed before, but wow you have a very similar team to the last entry by ES and me. Star goaltender, very strong defense but lacking that true number one. Offense led by Sakic, secondary offense coming from guys like Martin and Noble. I guess that's kinda where the similarities end, but still.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Tomorrow's reviews will be Kimberley (now that they're finished), Killarney (now that they're finished), Edmonton...er...uh...Kenora, and Trail. I'll probably have the self-review/pre-emptive strike for the New West Bruins. (If we round out our roster).

Try to get done four a day. After tomorrow, I should have 12 finished.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I try to be positive with my reviews. I don't see the point in bad-mouthing all-time greats. If I have concerns, I express them. But the players who are picked in the draft are those who rate among the best for their time at what they do.

The players who reach the NHL have no weaknesses. Period. We talk about weaknesses of players in the NHL, but in reality, when you compare them to the general hockey-playing public, guys in the show don't have weaknesses. So when we're talking about guys in the ATD, they really don't have weaknesses, and any weaknesses that do exist are within a context of comparing them with the best ever.

You mentioned Cleghorn's goal-scoring exploits. Top five six times sounds good. But I do have to ask: how many came in the First World War years? We diminish accomplishments from the last three years of the Second World War, but let's not forget a lot of players fought in the first war, too. So that's a factor we do have to remember. When I see how easy it was to get into the HHOF in the early years (I think nearly half the HHOF was inducted in the first 20 years) it makes me wonder why Odie Cleghorn isn't in the HHOF. If he is one of the top 50 scoring RWs ever, as you claim, I think he'd be in the HHOF given how permissive the HHOF was those first 20 years.

Like I said before, I like Phillips and Cleghorn as ATDers. I don't buy into them as second liners.

Joliat's a good defensive conscience, but I wouldn't want a line with Sittler AND Lafleur out there against the opposition's best players. A line with Ullman and Joliat? Yeah, I'd play them against the opposition's best, even with Lafleur out there. It's a real plus to be able to play your best against the opponent's best.

The flip side is that I believe Sittler is better-suited to first line duty than Ullman, as I believe Sittler to be the better offensive player, and the better fit for Lafleur. As I said before, Ullman is one of the elite second line centres in the draft. I would say there are 25 first line centres who are better players than Ullman.

Thanks, that's 90% positive so we must be onto something. I was sure five months ago that I'd never build a better team than I did in ATD10, but VCL and I have done just that.

I do have three things to address, however:

1. Joliat is the first line's defensive conscience. He's descibed as a relentless backchecker. With Sittler being average defensively and Lafleur being a bit of a free spirit, we're par for the course in terms of defensive ability from the top line.

2. In regards to Phillips, I refer you to what a very smart GM who is bound for his fourth straight division finals:

I practically wrote a research essay on the guy. You can click on his name to learn more. To summarize:

- He was often regarded as the top LW, and even top player, in the game, during the primes of Frank McGee and Russell Bowie.
- For five straight seasons, he was top-3 in his league in scoring, four of those times 1st or 2nd.
- He absolutely dominated two Stanley Cup series. In 1904 his eight goals led the cup finals, doubling the next-best, Alf Smith. Frank McGee and Si Griffis had 3. In 1907, during the two challenges that he first won with Kenora and then lost to the Wanderers, he tied with another hall of famer for the lead with 9 goals. Next-highest? Moose Johnson with 6 and Lester Patrick with 4.
- When reading about Phillips, it becomes clear that the only things that were ever really able to stop him were slushy ice and an ankle injury.
- He was one of the best playoff scorers of the per-consolidation era and the best of the challenge era. With games against extremely weak challengers excluded, only Lalonde and Foyston have more than his 22 goals in cup matches.
- Tons of praise from contemporaries exists. Art Ross called him the best player he has ever seen, and Lester Patrick, who played against Phillips in two cup series, put Phillips on his all-time team in 1925, the criteria being "physique, stamina, courage, speed, stick-handling, goal-getting ability, skill in passing, proper temperament and, above all, hockey brains."
- You like to know how a player played the game. Numerous quoted exist not only about how good he was, but why he was so good. Phillips was a born leader, had blazing speed, dazzling stickhandling, and a heavy shot, was the best backchecker of his time, was courageous and creative, and saved his best for big games. The accounts of how he played against a dominant powerhouse team like the Silver Seven are truly attention-grabbing. What more could you possibly want in a player?

3. Odie Cleghorn. Do you realize Cleghorn finished in the top-5 in goalscoring in his league six times? Here are aome other preconsolidation players and how many times they achieved the same:

Didier Pitre - 7 (1st line)
Babe Dye - 6 (1st line)
Frank Fredrickson - 6 (3rd line)
Frank Foyston - 6 (2nd line)
Mickey MacKay - 5 (2nd line)
Cyclone Taylor - 5 (currently a defenseman)
Gord Roberts - 5 (4th line)
Harry Hyland - 5 (3rd line)
Duke Keats - 5 (2nd line C!)
Tommy Smith - 4 (3rd line)
Tommy Dunderdale - 4 (4th line)
Punch Broadbent - 3 (2nd line)
Jack Darragh - 3 (2nd line)
Eddie Oatman - 2 (spare)
Scotty Davidson - 2 (spare)

Half these players are on scoring lines in this draft - and rightfully so.

Pitre is a better player than Cleghorn but used as an example of a player from the same era at the same position to illustrate where Cleghorn stands. Dye, of course, was usually in the top-2 when he was in the top-5. Broadbent, another RW with the same birth year, doesn't come close in goalscoring but he gets put on a 1st/2nd line every single draft.

Cleghorn wasn't just racking up a lot of lower-end spots in the leaderboard either - he led the NHL in goals once. Pitre, Hyland, Darragh, Oatman, & Davdison never led their league. Fredrickson, Roberts, Broadbent and Keats (in the WCHL) did it once each. He's right in their league. Definitely one of the 50 best scoring RWs ever.

Besides, Ullman really should be on someone else's first line instead of our second line, and he and Phillips can carry the weight. Can't have a perfect lineup in every single position, and if Cleghorn's a weak link, we're laughin'.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Hull-Hitchcock connection is a good point. They found a way to make it work. Maybe it's because Hull was the one one-dimensional guy on the Stars. Maybe it's because Hitchcock knew a game-breaking goal scorer when he saw one, and he knew that Hull could be a difference-maker to get the Stars over the top. Bottom line is they worked. Not a natural strong coach-player relationship, but they worked.

Your transition game isn't my concern. Howell's the only one who isn't a noted puck-mover. My concern is whether there's an ace who can handle a big workload, and if Howell-Murphy have the mobility to survive against some of the super lines of the draft.

Hextall was a big hitter. The question is: was he a consistent hitter. There is a difference. The game was called a different way back then, so that does explain the relatively low PIM total. I like Hextall a lot - he's one of the guys I've always wanted, I consider him one of the best RWs of all-time - but is his physical presence consistent enough?

And I never, ever use "solid" in a negative context.

Thank you for your critical review, it's very important for me as rookie to hear where i can improve (besides my English). The most used word in your review is "solid", and that's how I feel about our team, i don't think it's necessary something negative.

As for Hextall's physical presence, i don't know what do mean under overwhelming, but Pelletier notes him as "one of hockey's hardest hitters".

i agree that Z isn't ideal 2nd line winger, but we wanted somebody who will be very good defencively, and can contribute in the playoffs and there wasn't that many players who fit the bill at that point of the draft. Zetterberg is elite defencively, his last two seasons were Selke-worthy, he is better defencively then Datsyuk and was used as Detroit's shutdown center. He'll be complimentary player on this line with mainly defencive responsobilities, but with Francis as his center he'll be able contribute offencively, but i think his playoffs production absolutely justifies his 2nd LW status.

Would you rather move Brind'Amour to the second line and let Zetterberg center the third line? I think Hank is better suited for the left wing then center, because there he won't have to carry his line offencively.

Our defencive corps are by no means outstanding, but they all are smart and play mistake free hockey (this may not apply to Larsonm it's hard to judge him, since he play for Dead Wings). Our team is built on team defence, our defencemen will get more then enough help from forwards and they have Glenn Hall behind them. Niedermayer and Larson arevery good rushers, Murphy is outstanding outlet passer, Svoboda and Howell were good passers too, so don't worry about our transition game.

He coached Hull to Stanley Cup, and Brett bought into Hichcock's defencive concept.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The players who reach the NHL have no weaknesses. Period. We talk about weaknesses of players in the NHL, but in reality, when you compare them to the general hockey-playing public, guys in the show don't have weaknesses. So when we're talking about guys in the ATD, they really don't have weaknesses, and any weaknesses that do exist are within a context of comparing them with the best ever.

agree.

You mentioned Cleghorn's goal-scoring exploits. Top five six times sounds good. But I do have to ask: how many came in the First World War years? We diminish accomplishments from the last three years of the Second World War, but let's not forget a lot of players fought in the first war, too. So that's a factor we do have to remember.

One of the six times he was a top-5 scorer was a war year. 1917. He was tied for 3rd with Lalonde, behind Malone and Nighbor. And Cleghorn actually missed one of those war years himself.

The reason this is rarely talked about, is because very few players actually missed time due to the war. Broadbent is a high-profile example who missed three seasons. Looking at the top NHA scorers of the year before, you have Pitre, Roberts, Sprague Cleghorn, Hyland, ******, Crawford, *****, Smith, Foyston, Malone, Cameron, Walker, Gerard, Darragh... none of whom went off to war.

the only players I can think of who went to war, were Broadbent, Prodger, Davidson, and my AAA 1st line LW.

The 228th Batallion left in the 1918 season, with draftworthy players Prodger, Oatman & Duncan. If you want to call that a watered down year, that's fair, but Cleghorn didn't play that season.

Can you think of anyone else that went to war that would be significant aside from Broadbent, Prodger, Davidson, Oatman & Duncan? Otherwise, saying "a lot of players fought in the first war, too" is inaccurate.

When I see how easy it was to get into the HHOF in the early years (I think nearly half the HHOF was inducted in the first 20 years) it makes me wonder why Odie Cleghorn isn't in the HHOF. If he is one of the top 50 scoring RWs ever, as you claim, I think he'd be in the HHOF given how permissive the HHOF was those first 20 years.

That is certainly a major question mark. But Cleghorn was as dominant a scorer as many HHOF forwards, and more dominant than a few who are in. I"m not just making this up; the numbers are there for all to see.

The hall wasn't as permissive as you say. After all, it only started in 1945, of course they had to catch up on the 60 years of history the sport already had.

Like I said before, I like Phillips and Cleghorn as ATDers. I don't buy into them as second liners.

If you would allow yourself to buy in, you would.

Joliat's a good defensive conscience, but I wouldn't want a line with Sittler AND Lafleur out there against the opposition's best players. A line with Ullman and Joliat? Yeah, I'd play them against the opposition's best, even with Lafleur out there. It's a real plus to be able to play your best against the opponent's best.

That's fine. We have the Ramsay line for a reason.

The flip side is that I believe Sittler is better-suited to first line duty than Ullman, as I believe Sittler to be the better offensive player, and the better fit for Lafleur. As I said before, Ullman is one of the elite second line centres in the draft. I would say there are 25 first line centres who are better players than Ullman.

I have new found admiration for Sittler after drafting and researching him. But to be honest, we are not under any illusion that he's our top center. We like Ullman a lot better, at both ends of the ice. But we wanted to spread out the wealth. Ullman could be a bottom-end first liner and Sittler a great 2nd-liner. But with Sittler there, the first line remains credible because it has two top-50 players on it. Sittler just has to win some faceoffs, provide size and leadership, dish off the puck, and give us the playoff goals that he's usually good for.

Ullman then becomes one of the best second liners in the draft. If he had two weak links as wingers he could carry the line. But he doesn't have to. Phillips and Cleghorn will get the job done. After learning that Cleghorn didn't just profit from the war years, I'm sure you'll agree. Phillips, well, I've shown you everything you should need, but unfortunately the one thing I can't tell you about him is that he played in the 50s and 60s.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00