Speculation: All Things Spezza Part III - Now, we wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
You can't seriously believe that. It's fine to dislike a player, but that is a very shallow view.

I think there is a faction of fans that have been hard on him, but that is more a result of his style of play. The same thing happens to a guy like Kovalev, as they can be frustrating to watch when they do some of their higher risk moves.

But overall, I agree with the notion that the media have been quite fair with him.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I think WE deserve better.

He can take control of his life, fine, but he looks like a coward or a player who is uncoachable. I wish him well, but all Melnyk did was sign him to a market-priced extension thanks to Murray. Murray didn't envision Heatley bailing into oblivion or Alfie 's ridiculous contract demands at his age.

I think the media has been too fair with Spezza, he can't handle what the fans sau about him , which is why he is leaving. The guy reads everything. Crazy.

And yet he will will still kick up his heels to pretend he is hustling back, but we all know he isn't. he refuses to own any of his shortcomings and always has.

WE do deserve better.

The problem is you align the interests of the fans with the interests of the franchise, when they aren't - especially lately. The franchise has it's own interests, players have their own interests...and fans have their own interests that don't necessarily line up with either of the previous groups.

As a fan, we deserve the best team possible. Now when the players let us down, it's fair to dump on the player. That was the case with Heatley. However; in the case of Alfie and now Spezza it's the franchise that has let us down. The franchise is not retaining it's key players. It's not doing the most it can do improve and build toward a better team.

The Alfie and Spezza situations don't happen if the team was spending the money to help make this team competitive.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza was notorious at not closing the gap. He would usually be the first one out of the defensive zone and the last out of the offensive zone.

Agreed. Lol too funny. That's why when Zibanejad replaced him our defensive teamplay looked drastically better and we went on 4 game winning streak.

Not only Spezza though. Neil, Greening and Michalek are guilty too. Even when they do close the gap it's literally in the worst possible way or very predictable.

Michalek's go-to-the-boards-with-your-head-down-and-ass-out-trying-to-get-puck-by-waving-your-stick-around was the most irritating thing I seen last year. And defenders and forwards easily walked him or gained possession.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Problem is, Spezza couldn't close the gap because the guy is a below-average skater. Slow on the transition (at least going the defensive way) and takes a while for him to get to top speed. His (skating) skills simply aren't made for this system....and being quick on transition is one of the big things all players need the way this league is trending.

And, I have to say, if Spezza is reading everything online/written about him, the guy needs to give his head a shake. It doesn't matter who you are; if you're a celebrity, you really need to avoid the temptation of reading anything about yourself online. Anyone who does spend any kind of significant time online reading this stuff will get one hell of a mental complex with all the things people write on the interwebs. ((And that goes for any kids out there who are working at becoming pros, too. Stay the hell away from the net that has anything hockey related! Your nerves will thank me later.))

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If anyone hasn't read Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts yet you should, lot's of Sens talk and other notable story lines around the league.

To quickly summarize some points on Spezza:

reached out to Sam Bennett this week to tell him not to worry about his draft combine performance and use it as motivation.

says Spezza to St. Louis is the most likely deal to happen this offseason according to several executives around the league.

talked about Berglund as a part of the deal

He goes a lot further in depth and it is definitely worth the read.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/06/30-thoughts-nhl-free-agents-reluctant-to-commit-early.html

Nice read. Not sure how much we can take into the Spezza talk though, as he said it all came from a 3rd party.

OT, looks like the Canucks are going homeboys with all of Linden's buddies coming in. Not a good idea to go for the familiar guys over who is the best available candidate for the job.

And listening to Pierre McGuire this morning, the issue in Pittsburgh is they're only offering short-term contracts for the next head coach. That is what's scaring off the best prospects.

Lehnsanity

Oct 10, 2012
Ottawa
Any word on the Statsny talks with COL ?

It would be great for us if he re-signed ASAP....takes a Spezza alternative off the market.

With him gone, there are exactly 0 top end C's available by UFA. Richards is arguably the next best....and that is a serious drop.

That only leaves Kelser and Joe, and Kelser is rumored to be very choosey about where he potentially gets traded, and has a full NTC.

If Stastny were to sign in COL that would defnitely be huge... Kesler being super choosy as to where he wants to go, and Thornton has come out and said he really doesn't want to waive his NTC. All this is huge in us getting a good return for Spezza so hopefully it all plays out like this!

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think there is a faction of fans that have been hard on him, but that is more a result of his style of play. The same thing happens to a guy like Kovalev, as they can be frustrating to watch when they do some of their higher risk moves.

But overall, I agree with the notion that the media have been quite fair with him.

Not until last season was I hard on Spezza. It is because he plays a lazy game. I dunno if he believes his skill alone will get him through, or what exactly he is thinking while on the ice. He is just not the player you want leading a team. There is a reason he was left out of the Olympics and has been left off of other teams.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
If Stastny were to sign in COL that would defnitely be huge... Kesler being super choosy as to where he wants to go, and Thornton has come out and said he really doesn't want to waive his NTC. All this is huge in us getting a good return for Spezza so hopefully it all plays out like this!

Yeah, I totally agree. If Stastny signs this week it will definitely up Spezza's trade value.

Karlsson2Turris*

Does someone know the 10 team list Spezza has submitted? I've heard it's Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, NY Islanders, Columbus, and Nashville. What other teams are on the list?

sebas85

Feb 28, 2014
Agreed. Lol too funny. That's why when Zibanejad replaced him our defensive teamplay looked drastically better and we went on 4 game winning streak.

Not only Spezza though. Neil, Greening and Michalek are guilty too. Even when they do close the gap it's literally in the worst possible way or very predictable.

Michalek's go-to-the-boards-with-your-head-down-and-ass-out-trying-to-get-puck-by-waving-your-stick-around was the most irritating thing I seen last year. And defenders and forwards easily walked him or gained possession.

These gap control posts kinda confused me. Gap control in hockey is typically referring to the gap between our defence and the opposing teams forwards. I think maybe you mean back checking.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I saw a list the other day that included the Habs and Leafs making it a total of 10. I'll try and find it.

I think that's more of a common sense debate rather than an actual fact. There hasn't been a source to confirm it, but with all the western Canadian teams out it seems that the other two would be out.

Of course he could have gambled a bit and figured we wouldn't trade him to a division rival so named 2 other teams to make it potentially 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad