Speculation: All Things Spezza Part III - Now, we wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
We gave up .5 goals per game more against than for. The top teams are just opposite. When we lose Spezza we will lose some of that scoring punch but will it be made up by a forward with more defensive attributes. I say yes IF and ONLY IF this team plays a solid backcheck game. We sucked this year having forwards to high in the offensive zone.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
We gave up .5 goals per game more against than for. The top teams are just opposite. When we lose Spezza we will lose some of that scoring punch but will it be made up by a forward with more defensive attributes. I say yes IF and ONLY IF this team plays a solid backcheck game. We sucked this year having forwards to high in the offensive zone.

I personally think this was attributed to the loss of Silvferberg. He was a much better two-way player than people give him credit for. That said, I loved that we obtained Ryan. But Ryan is much more offensive minded, and rightfully so, then Silf was. Obtaining a player like Oshie for Speeza would fill that hole and allow a player like Ryan to be more free-wheeling.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
June 23rd 2012 was that quote from BM
http://m.ottawasun.com/2012/06/23/no-deal-for-other-michalek

And there was something else from earlier this season where BM said he can't make a move because he had to move money out to make a deal... On my phone so can't find it... But it's out there, I've used the quote before.

Alright fine, 2012

The point is that quote doesn't apply for this year because our contract situations are pretty different, especially if Spezza is dealt

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I personally think this was attributed to the loss of Silvferberg. He was a much better two-way player than people give him credit for. That said, I loved that we obtained Ryan. But Ryan is much more offensive minded, and rightfully so, then Silf was. Obtaining a player like Oshie for Speeza would fill that hole and allow a player like Ryan to be more free-wheeling.

I think the loss of defensive forwards like Silfverberg and Alfie hurt, but Ryan's line was always solid defensively, mostly because of the overall effectiveness of the MTR trio (rather than Ryan, specifically). But he was very good at picking d-men's pockets early in the year.

Overall, I think it's fair to say Spezza has struggled a bit under MacLean's system, to a degree. Even at the end of the year, while they were getting a decent number of points, the MSH line was giving up a ton of chances too. But I don't think swapping Oshie out for Spezza is any real way to deal with our defensive issues. Sure, it might be a slight upgrade on the whole, but not a real solution to what overcame the team last year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
One of the biggest problems was gap control

The gap between forwards and the D was outrageous and it immediately stood out as a huge problem out of the gate

It got better as the year went along but the fact that it was such a big problem to start the year was indicative of underlying issues with the system and, probably a bit more importantly, it's implementation (wether it be personnel as Maclean insinuated at one point or the coaching staff or, more likely, both)

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
One of the biggest problems was gap control

The gap between forwards and the D was outrageous and it immediately stood out as a huge problem out of the gate

It got better as the year went along but the fact that it was such a big problem to start the year was indicative of underlying issues with the system and, probably a bit more importantly, it's implementation (wether it be personnel as Maclean insinuated at one point or the coaching staff or, more likely, both)

Spezza was notorious at not closing the gap. He would usually be the first one out of the defensive zone and the last out of the offensive zone.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It should be said Spezza didn't criticize the media

Murray said that Spezza said that he was tired of being blamed for the team's failings

I'd say that's fair considering he's pretty much the only reason why we didn't finish in the cellar and came pretty damn close of making the playoffs. Yet we had countless posters here tell us the problem was Spezza

Spezza was notorious at not closing the gap. He would usually be the first one out of the defensive zone and the last out of the offensive zone.

See? The entire team was awful at it, even the Turris line wasn't great at it (solid back checking though) and what do we get "Spezza was especially bad at this".

It isn't not true but Spezza gets all the blame for something every forward line did

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Murray said that Spezza said that he was tired of being blamed for the team's failings

I'd say that's fair considering he's pretty much the only reason why we didn't finish in the cellar and came pretty damn close of making the playoffs. Yet we had countless posters here tell us the problem was Spezza

See? The entire team was awful at it, even the Turris line wasn't great at it (solid back checking though) and what do we get "Spezza was especially bad at this".

It isn't not true but Spezza gets all the blame for something every forward line did

It seemed like a system issue to me. Forwards were being asked to transition quickly and start the breakout, but in doing so were asking a green defense to do too much.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Definitely a system issue but I find the fact that Spezza gets called out for a systemic issue is indicative of the climate Jason allegedly wants to get out of

Obviously fans and media might not get that it's a system issue rather than a personnel one but a guy like Spezza does and shouldering the blame for something like that must be hard on someone who gets it

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/teams/ottawa-senators/sid-calls-out-spezza/

Everything he says is pretty true. Players gotta nut up and learn to play here it's pretty sad that none of them want to.

These guys are ridiculous. So opinionated on the radio about things they don't understand. couldn't listen to 1 min of these fools.
We are now going to take everything BM says to the media as fact? then extrapolate on it and assume that is fact?
These guys are clowns.
But hey, if people like it.....

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya

To be honest, I think this is just spin to misdirect the media from the real reason Spezza wants out (as corroborated by Brad Mays words): he wants to be on a team that is to financially committed to winning.

Pierre said on the radio the other day that he knows Spezza pretty well and that he has never said that media or fan expectation bothers him. If it did, he never would've have accepted the captaincy.

The front office has always been reticent (or even misdirecting) in publicly revealing the constraints that the budget puts on the team, and for good reason. I think this is just another instance of that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
To be honest, I think this is just spin to misdirect the media from the real reason Spezza wants out (as corroborated by Brad Mays words): he wants to be on a team that is to financially committed to winning.

Pierre said on the radio the other day that he knows Spezza pretty well and that he has never said that media or fan expectation bothers him. If it did, he never would've have accepted the captaincy.

The front office has always been reticent (or even misdirecting) in publicly revealing the constraints that the budget puts on the team, and for good reason. I think this is just another instance of that.

I think it's a bit of both

I don't think it's so much Spezza not wanting to be here but rather both sides, management and Jason, agreeing that now is the best time to part ways: we're not going to be contending anytime soon and Spezza is closer to the end of his career than the beginning

The Senators get something and Spezza gets a shot at a cup and re-signing with a contender

Everybody wins

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
As much as I like Spezza, and I am one of those who would rather have him than not, warts and all, what is frustrating to me is the same complaints from coaches from 10 yrs ago are still relevant to today. I think this more than anything demonstrates Spezza's enormous self belief, that his way of playing is the best way. Stubborn, yes, but at the end of the day he doesn't address his shortcomings.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If you're on a team that is not committed to winning and you've been playing with greening, butler, cheechoo, and michalek the last few years and your friend and captain gets screwed over the previous year AND you have to take all the media bs and fan bs then why the hell wouldn't one want to try something else at the end of the contract?
Spezza deserves better and he has every right to take control of his life and career and look for that. he is doing nothing wrong.
if someone wants to complain, melnyk and murray are the bad guys here. always have been. they are bad at their jobs. spezza is more competent than both of them put together x2.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's gotten better defensively

He's a far more complete player than he ever was

Yeah he was brutal to start the year but the system of "forward cheat as soon as the D gets the puck" was far more responsible for the team's defensive shortcomings than he was + he was getting back into game shape

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
The Senators get something and Spezza gets a shot at a cup and re-signing with a contender

Everybody wins

When that something just solidifies the team's mediocrity, the Sens certainly don't win.

I think Spezza sees that this team has the framework to be a winner under a financially committed owner. With a solid top 6 that includes Spezza, Hesmky, Ryan, Turris and MacArthur, a solid top 4 D that consists of Karlsson, Methot, ~$5M pickup and one of Cowen or Ceci, as well as Lehner's development into a legit starter, this team has the basis of a contender. This was obviously the intentions of the original 3 year rebuild plan that has been seemingly abandoned by management.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We went to the second round in 2012-2013 and we had a bad year after that

Let's just wait to see how things unfold before clamouring that the success we had in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 was an aberration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad