Speculation: All Things Spezza Part III - Now, we wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
We went to the second round in 2012-2013 and we had a bad year after that

Let's just wait to see how things unfold before clamouring that the success we had in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 was an aberration

That is exactly what I'm saying. Instead of following through with the plan we're reinitiating the rebuild and setting ourselves back by years in the process, largely due to lack of financial commitment by ownership.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
That is exactly what I'm saying. Instead of following through with the plan we're reinitiating the rebuild and setting ourselves back by years in the process, largely due to lack of financial commitment by ownership.

What gives you the impression the Senators are rebuilding any more so than they were previously? Spezza wanting out?

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
What gives you the impression the Senators are rebuilding any more so than they were previously? Spezza wanting out?

Yes, but more specifically Spezza wanting out because they will not commit to spending in order to make the team better. I know that that particular reason is unconfirmed, but it makes a whole lot more sense than some BS about Spezza not being able to handle media scrutiny, and is especially more believable when you look at in the context of the Alfie fiasco.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Yes, but more specifically Spezza wanting out because they will not commit to spending in order to make the team better. I know that that particularly reason is unconfirmed, but it makes a whole lot more sense than some BS about Spezza not being able to handle media scrutiny, and is especially more believable when you look at in the context of the Alfie fiasco.

How does that mean they are rebuilding?

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
How does that mean they are rebuilding?

Well at the very least I'd say trading a key component of your team and a player that you only made captain less than a year ago is a major change in direction.

So if they're not in the position to be a contender, and their not rebuilding, what exactly are they doing? Does management have a plan at this point? I'd love some illumination as to what it actually is. Going into a year with the expectation of finishing the season 9th-12th in the East doesn't really sound that desirable to me.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I agree that management ought to be a bit more open with the fans in terms of what the plan is

So far all we know is we're not spending much more than the floor

I think we'll have a better indication of where things are going after UFA hits

I think management did not forsee Alfie wanting out and is scrambling because of it: I honestly think that Alfie bailing had repercussions that went far beyond just the roster

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I think management did not forsee Alfie wanting out and is scrambling because of it: I honestly think that Alfie bailing had repercussions that went far beyond just the roster

Of course it did. It confirmed and magnified the speculations of the team's financial issues and sent a message to fans and players alike that this team expects players to take a discount without reciprocating that same level financial commitment in return.

Trevor Lahey

Jul 16, 2009
ON
If anything he's doing us a favour by saying, "Hey, if the way things are going to stay the same as they are right now, my contract is up after this year and I'm probably going to look elsewhere to give myself a chance to win, so if you want to trade me now, let's do it."

He coulda just rode out the year and been dealt for peanuts at the deadline or straight up walked like Chara, Redden, Volchenkov, Alfie, etc.

It's going to suck to see him go but I'm somewhat buoyed by the fact that the team has performed well lately without him in the lineup. I'm not getting my hopes up on the return, I think it will be acceptable but not much more.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I just had a prophetic vision which had Speeza going to STL for Berglund, Rattie, and a 2nd

Book it

Ducks were apparently waiting for Murray to include a 1st to trade Ryan.

Murray will have the same standards and won't trade Spezza just because HFboards are predicting bad trades.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If anyone hasn't read Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts yet you should, lot's of Sens talk and other notable story lines around the league.

To quickly summarize some points on Spezza:

reached out to Sam Bennett this week to tell him not to worry about his draft combine performance and use it as motivation.

says Spezza to St. Louis is the most likely deal to happen this offseason according to several executives around the league.

talked about Berglund as a part of the deal

He goes a lot further in depth and it is definitely worth the read.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/06/30-thoughts-nhl-free-agents-reluctant-to-commit-early.html

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Yes, but more specifically Spezza wanting out because they will not commit to spending in order to make the team better. I know that that particular reason is unconfirmed, but it makes a whole lot more sense than some BS about Spezza not being able to handle media scrutiny, and is especially more believable when you look at in the context of the Alfie fiasco.

This isn't the first time Spezza asked for an out.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

in fairness you're basing your belief on speculation. It's plausible, agreed. But probably only two people know what happened in that meeting, right?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ducks were apparently waiting for Murray to include a 1st to trade Ryan.

Murray will have the same standards and won't trade Spezza just because HFboards are predicting bad trades.

I'm a bit worried that if Murray has made getting a 2014 1st rounder a key part of the return he wants he might not be willing to play hardball

This is all speculative of course. I have faith in Murray and certainly hope he learns from Anaheim and Tampa holding on firm on their demands for returns on their big name players they had to trade

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Any word on the Statsny talks with COL ?

It would be great for us if he re-signed ASAP....takes a Spezza alternative off the market.

With him gone, there are exactly 0 top end C's available by UFA. Richards is arguably the next best....and that is a serious drop.

That only leaves Kelser and Joe, and Kelser is rumored to be very choosey about where he potentially gets traded, and has a full NTC.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Any word on the Statsny talks with COL ?

It would be great for us if he re-signed ASAP....takes a Spezza alternative off the market.

With him gone, there are exactly 0 top end C's available by UFA. Richards is arguably the next best....and that is a serious drop.

That only leaves Kelser and Joe, and Kelser is rumored to be very choosey about where he potentially gets traded, and has a full NTC.

At this point Statsny is likely to wait until the 25th, when other teams can talk to him too. Might as well wait another 48 hours and hear what other teams have to say.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you're on a team that is not committed to winning and you've been playing with greening, butler, cheechoo, and michalek the last few years and your friend and captain gets screwed over the previous year AND you have to take all the media bs and fan bs then why the hell wouldn't one want to try something else at the end of the contract?
Spezza deserves better and he has every right to take control of his life and career and look for that. he is doing nothing wrong.
if someone wants to complain, melnyk and murray are the bad guys here. always have been. they are bad at their jobs. spezza is more competent than both of them put together x2.

I think WE deserve better.

He can take control of his life, fine, but he looks like a coward or a player who is uncoachable. I wish him well, but all Melnyk did was sign him to a market-priced extension thanks to Murray. Murray didn't envision Heatley bailing into oblivion or Alfie 's ridiculous contract demands at his age.

I think the media has been too fair with Spezza, he can't handle what the fans sau about him , which is why he is leaving. The guy reads everything. Crazy.

And yet he will will still kick up his heels to pretend he is hustling back, but we all know he isn't. he refuses to own any of his shortcomings and always has.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He can take control of his life, fine, but he looks like a coward or a player who is uncoachable. I wish him well, but all Melnyk did was sign him to a market-priced extension thanks to Murray. Murray didn't envision Heatley bailing into oblivion or Alfie 's ridiculous contract demands at his age.

I think the media has been too fair with Spezza, he can't handle what the fans sau about him , which is why he is leaving. The guy reads everything. Crazy.

And yet he will will still kick up his heels to pretend he is hustling back, but we all know he isn't. he refuses to own any of his shortcomings and always has.

You can't seriously believe that. It's fine to dislike a player, but that is a very shallow view.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

i'm pretty sure this isn't the first time you've been asked if you are in fact Don Brennan right?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You can't seriously believe that. It's fine to dislike a player, but that is a very shallow view.

Find me all the " Spezza must improve" or "Spezza underachieving" or "Spezza struggling" articles. Compared to others he had it pretty easy from the media here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad