GDT: All things Baseball

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The Guardians will waste another year of superb pitching and defense, and possibly the last year of great pitching coaching from Yanceyville NC's own Carl Willis with another year of AA level scoring.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
MLB with new jerseys, manufactured by Fanatics.

The Athletic reported Angels outfield Taylor Ward saying the new jersey “looks like a replica.” And an unnamed veteran for the O’s told the Baltimore Banner, “I think that the performance wear might feel nice, but the look of it is like a knockoff jersey from T.J. Maxx.”

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
MLB with new jerseys, manufactured by Fanatics.

The Athletic reported Angels outfield Taylor Ward saying the new jersey “looks like a replica.” And an unnamed veteran for the O’s told the Baltimore Banner, “I think that the performance wear might feel nice, but the look of it is like a knockoff jersey from T.J. Maxx.”

... I mean

and holy god the pants, I thought his jersey was untucked at first when @Svechhammer posted this on the MB but no... good f***ing lord. If I were a pitcher I might deliberately go commando for an inning to protest.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Reads like Nashville has it in the bag..but Mr. Dundon gets some shoutouts...

Most likely stadium location: There are three possible sites under discussion, but the favorite may be an 80-acre area of open land around PNC Arena, home of the Hurricanes. Billionaire Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon just signed a 20-year lease with the arena, has the right to develop the land -- and, oh, is now the money man behind the potential MLB bid.

The case for Raleigh: The push for Raleigh began as a bottom-up, community-driven idea. Only later were Charlie Perusse, a former North Carolina state budget director with the necessary political connections, and Dundon brought on board. Governor Roy Cooper has also publicly supported Raleigh over Charlotte. It helps that Raleigh is one of the few cities with a deep-pocketed owner already on board.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Reads like Nashville has it in the bag..but Mr. Dundon gets some shoutouts...

It really is going to depend on how much political support that Nashville has and if Montreal can get their act together regarding the new stadium. I always thought that NC was going to be the fallback location if A - Both Tampa and Montreal couldn't get their stadium situation worked out and MLB needed a landing spot for the Rays, and B - if MLB was in fact expanding and Montreal gets tied up in local politics to the point they couldn't get anything done.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
It really is going to depend on how much political support that Nashville has and if Montreal can get their act together regarding the new stadium. I always thought that NC was going to be the fallback location if A - Both Tampa and Montreal couldn't get their stadium situation worked out and MLB needed a landing spot for the Rays, and B - if MLB was in fact expanding and Montreal gets tied up in local politics to the point they couldn't get anything done.
What a dream situation Parent club in Raleigh AAA squad in Durham.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think this round was to get Raleigh in the mix. Nashville and/or Charlotte have always been toward the high end of the expansion lists going back a long while. I'm not surprised at all that the assumption is that Nashville is already in. But now we have actual momentum to getting a team here in Raleigh. We have a location in a rapidly developing spot, a billionaire backer willing to spend to win, and now the support of government to make it work. Nashville isn't going to bring many fans from NC into baseball any more than the Braves have done, but if you move to either Charlotte or Raleigh, its completely different.

I do believe the more realistic play here is to possibly target the Rays for a future move to Raleigh. It really just kind of makes sense with the Bulls being their farm team, there's already a connection there with the local fans. And make no mistake, NC (and more specifically, the Raleigh area) is potentially a much bigger market for MLB than you'd initially think due to the very long-standing history with the sport with the Carolina League having existed since 1945. Its not like you'd really have to grow the game around here, we're already very used to baseball games in the summer, it would be a very natural adoption by the local market.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I enjoy seeing perspectives like this. It'd be nice if even more guys across all sports did it. Even some of the threads a superstar like Chris Pronger put up were enlightening.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tomorrow at Citi Field the Doctor makes one last house call and I will be there. If you were alive in the mid-late 80's you know just how big Doc was, saying he was the biggest star in all of pro sports during his all too brief peak would not be an exaggeration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad