All Things AHL Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Sounds like Sundqvist has been recalled from the AHL back to the big club after his conditioning stint. He had 6 points (2G 4A) in 6 games with the Rampage. Hopefully he can carry his confidence with him to the NHL and get back in the lineup. He has been so snakebitten this year, it would be great to see him get a couple goals. Seems like the effort level has been there, just hasn't been getting the results.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Tage is apparently playing center tonight for SA. Is he being showcased for trade or to prep him to take over 3C for us if we deal Sobotka and/or Berglund?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Tage is apparently playing center tonight for SA. Is he being showcased for trade or to prep him to take over 3C for us if we deal Sobotka and/or Berglund?

I wouldnt be surprised to see both Tage and Zach to get looks at center tonight.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Is Walman hurt? I noticed he hasn't played for Devils in the last couple games. Anyone know what's going on with him?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He was playing centre in the AHL at the start of the season, did they shift him back to wing? I doubt it is to do with him being showcased, the Blues preference was to have him at centre in the AHL.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
He played with sanford and Blais last night and on the PP together. None of them looked particularly standout but then again none of the Rampage did.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That shot by Walman was ripped. No wobble on that at all.

Kostin just scored too for San Antonio to go along with an assist. Not bad for another game on the fourth line.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It's that shot that makes me want to keep Walman.

The Blues have no defenseman that have as hard and accurate a shot. I know Parayko has a rocket, but until he can figure out how to use it, it might as well just be for show. Dunn has a fantastic wrist shot, but I'd say it's his ability to move the puck that his best weapon. Walman, on the other hand, has a very Shattenkirk-like shot, and I see no reason why he couldn't be used in a Blues top-6 heading forward.

Reactions: stl76

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

The Blues have no defenseman that have as hard and accurate a shot. I know Parayko has a rocket, but until he can figure out how to use it, it might as well just be for show. Dunn has a fantastic wrist shot, but I'd say it's his ability to move the puck that his best weapon. Walman, on the other hand, has a very Shattenkirk-like shot, and I see no reason why he couldn't be used in a Blues top-6 heading forward.

Walman’s strength is his ability to get that shot off quickly. The reason you don’t see anywhere near as many clappers in the NHL these days is that they take too long to get off, and they aren’t as accurate typically. The play is to get the puck through, off the goalies pads, and into the high danger areas for a garbage goal. It’s usually the smart play, even if it isn’t that exciting. Guys like Walman are unique in that they can find the space and time for a bomb shot, and also get it on net more often than not. It’s a huge asset, and an increasingly rare one at that. For that reason alone, yeah I want to hang onto Wally, and let him get a full season playing #1 minutes in San Antonio next year. This season’s AHL uncertainty has undoubtedly been worse on him than anybody else in our system. I don’t hold that against him, but I hope he’s been able to at least take something away from it all, including focusing on his defensive game. But at the same time, we made space for Shattenkirk’s defensive liabilities for years because he was such an asset on the PP, so even if he never rises to the level of a top-pairing, all-situations minute muncher, I still think there’s room for a guy like him on our team going forward. It feels like we have so many stay-at-home types right now, having another guy who can put up 30-40 points would be huge, especially in a bottom-pairing sheltered role behind Edmundson and Dunn.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Walman’s strength is his ability to get that shot off quickly. The reason you don’t see anywhere near as many clappers in the NHL these days is that they take too long to get off, and they aren’t as accurate typically. The play is to get the puck through, off the goalies pads, and into the high danger areas for a garbage goal. It’s usually the smart play, even if it isn’t that exciting. Guys like Walman are unique in that they can find the space and time for a bomb shot, and also get it on net more often than not. It’s a huge asset, and an increasingly rare one at that. For that reason alone, yeah I want to hang onto Wally, and let him get a full season playing #1 minutes in San Antonio next year. This season’s AHL uncertainty has undoubtedly been worse on him than anybody else in our system. I don’t hold that against him, but I hope he’s been able to at least take something away from it all, including focusing on his defensive game. But at the same time, we made space for Shattenkirk’s defensive liabilities for years because he was such an asset on the PP, so even if he never rises to the level of a top-pairing, all-situations minute muncher, I still think there’s room for a guy like him on our team going forward. It feels like we have so many stay-at-home types right now, having another guy who can put up 30-40 points would be huge, especially in a bottom-pairing sheltered role behind Edmundson and Dunn.
He may not be ready, but I don't see any reason why Walman can't become top 4 D. He was strong defensively at PC, playing lots of minutes in all situations.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Well said. That shot is a big reason why I have been so high on Walman for a while now. It's not a coincidence that Walman was leading all college dmen in scoring and was a legit Hobey Baker candidate at one point...his shot was giving other teams fits in the NCAA (his skating is also an enormous asset).

If he can translate that success to the professional game, look out; because as others have said, the Blues have the other dmen necessary to properly shelter and deploy him in order to maximize his offensive contributions. It's been a bit disappointing seeing him struggle a bit in the AHL this season, but I still love what Walman brings to the table offensively. His shot and his skating are already NHL caliber IMO...it's putting the rest of his game together and getting his confidence going that will determine what type of career he has.

Regardless, I am glad to see him getting some quality playing time in Binghampton. The wolves can f*** right off as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

High ankle sprains are bad news. I hope he has healed fully, those type injuries can linger for a long time.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

FFS. Now Sanford will miss the next 4 games due to upper body. I'm wondering if his shoulder is sore.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

FFS. Now Sanford will miss the next 4 games due to upper body. I'm wondering if his shoulder is sore.

Sheesh. Maybe they rushed him back? Either he didn't have enough time to get his upper body back to pro hockey level strength or he just never had it to begin with. That's disappointing but hope it's not too bad. He needs more experience badly, tough to do with a glass shoulder.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It’s confirmed that Sanford’s injury is unrelated to his shoulder surgery.

Schmaltz with a short handed assist on his return.

Wonder how long before he gets called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad