Speculation: All rebuild related talk (with Poll)

Poll - Would you support a Rebuild?

• Yes - 100% behind a full 3-5 year rebuild. Trade them All (Ek included)

Votes: 29 25.9%
  • No - Rebuilding only works if you get lucky in the draft (see Saber’s, Avs, Canucks, Coyotes)

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Kinda #1 - Keep EK, Stone, Chabot, It can be a quick fix

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Kinda #2 - I won’t support it but I’ll be back when they are good again

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not with the people in charge, no. Melnyk will want a shortcut (like the Ryan trade) and Dorion is the worst talent-evaluator I've ever seen.
Are you serious ???Nothing wrong with PD.... Maybe ask his boss why he couldnt resign Turris and make a move for Duchene??

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I really don't think Phaneuf is as unmovable as some of you. Cap will be going up to about 80M, he's got 3 years left after this one, we could definitely eat a million off it. The big difference between him and Ryan is Phaneuf can actually play as a decent top 4. Ryan is paid like a top line guy and produces like a 3rd/4th liner. Team's are always in need of D.

Interesting to see if we would actually eat salary in a trade. Especially that much.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
What are the chances that if they went the rebuild route that Melnyk would be able to hold onto this team?

If he's currently strapped financially after a deep playoff run last year, could he really maintain the team for 3-5 years of no playoffs? The speculation that he may be forced to sell the team he loves so much would ramp up seven-fold if they sold off everything.

New owners would be one of the few positives if they rebuilt but honestly I'm still wondering how it's come to this.
If EK is traded then I'm not sure what kind of team would be left to cheer for. Duchene requested a trade from the Avs specifically because he saw a rebuild coming, and amazingly after a month he's on a team that would be no better off if they tore it down.

The answer would be no, I couldn't support a rebuild.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I’m not one to defend Melnyk but he isn’t the one who thought Burrows was a top 6/9 forward who can play up and down the lineup.
Burrows was brought in to provide some veteran bottom 6 depth with some offense.People around here talk as if Dorion left nothing in the cuboard,or on the roster we could use if we needed to rebuild ...Yes yes Dahlen was traded ....who cares ...we still have plenty left

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
They've been talking rebuild here for years (until last year)sometimes it seems that its just an excuse to go cheap and get rid of the best players for financial reasons.

If Sens opt to go full rebuild they are just as likely as not to wander in the wilderness for years on end like Edmonton and Buffalo and Arizona etc.

That should fill up the building and keep everyone glued to their games.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Retool. This is just a really really bad year to make up for our really really good year.

Next year can make it work with Hoffman, Duchene, Brassard, Karlsson, Stone, Andy (or whoever we can acquire to upgrade)

However, one of Phaneuf and Ryan gotta go. Phaneuf will probably be more movable. We just have to hope in Ryan can get his hands back.

I also agree that Smith should be moved... he will be valuable for a contender. And we will need that cap space.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I feel like the third option on that poll is wanting it both ways.
A)Karlsson isn't going to want to waste MORE of his career on a team that isn't winning a Cup.
B)The presence of Karlsson and Stone may make it hard for us to truly tank.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
1. This "Melnyk is a bad owner" stuff is just crap. It has to stop. He might be Eugene, but he loves this team, his passion clouds his vision. He wants to win, he wants a new stadium in Ottawa. Ask a Flames fan about their owner and their intentions on a new barn. Or ask me about how I bled San Diego Chargers blue for more than a decade to watch my team move to the tire fire known as L.A. Just stop guys.

2. Trade Karlsson? Ya'll lost it. I know 1-10-2 is a really bad stretch, but trading the best player in the league? You can't ever get a return to equal his effect on the ice. End of story.

3. This tears draft pick we "traded" is lottery protected, meaning if we don't make the playoffs we can defer to next season. So Dahlin is still in play for us.

4. If we want to shake up this team Karlsson related we will make him a healthy scratch. It's obvious he's not even at 70% and removing him from the lineup would insert a younger body with more energy into the lineup. I'd even make Dion the captain in his absence and see if we can get him going. Because even though we all hate his contract, if we want to win we need Phaneuf playing like Dion. When he's on his game he's the best 2nd pairing defesman in the NHL.

Reactions: Flamingo

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
They've been talking rebuild here for years (until last year)sometimes it seems that its just an excuse to go cheap and get rid of the best players for financial reasons.

If Sens opt to go full rebuild they are just as likely as not to wander in the wilderness for years on end like Edmonton and Buffalo and Arizona etc.

That should fill up the building and keep everyone glued to their games.
Its not like anyone needs to be pried away from their televisions now with the way they've been playing

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
1. This "Melnyk is a bad owner" stuff is just crap. It has to stop. He might be Eugene, but he loves this team, his passion clouds his vision. He wants to win, he wants a new stadium in Ottawa. Ask a Flames fan about their owner and their intentions on a new barn. Or ask me about how I bled San Diego Chargers blue for more than a decade to watch my team move to the tire fire known as L.A. Just stop guys.

2. Trade Karlsson? Ya'll lost it. I know 1-10-2 is a really bad stretch, but trading the best player in the league? You can't ever get a return to equal his effect on the ice. End of story.

3. This tears draft pick we "traded" is lottery protected, meaning if we don't make the playoffs we can defer to next season. So Dahlin is still in play for us.

4. If we want to shake up this team Karlsson related we will make him a healthy scratch. It's obvious he's not even at 70% and removing him from the lineup would insert a younger body with more energy into the lineup. I'd even make Dion the captain in his absence and see if we can get him going. Because even though we all hate his contract, if we want to win we need Phaneuf playing like Dion. When he's on his game he's the best 2nd pairing defesman in the NHL.
Melnyk is a meddling owner. Why does he feel the need to comment on anything related to the players and coaches? Keep your mouth shut and let the people you employed do their job. If they don't do an adequate job then do a better job at hiring.

Trading Karlsson isn't just due to the slump. This team essentially revolves around him. That's not a good thing. Take him out of the lineup and you can obviously see the makeup of the team is horrible. Relies too heavily on a single player. That's on management. I can understand not wanting to trade him because he's a top 3 player when he's on but it's not asinine to entertain the thought of possibly moving him given what he's going to command and how it might effect building a complete team.

If the idea of trading him is ludicrous to you than so is the idea of scratching him. He's clearly unhappy right now. The last thing you'd want to do is scratch him in the season prior to negotiations with an extension. Players like him you let them play through it unless he is injured. There are a bunch of other guys you scratch before Karlsson

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Burrows was brought in to provide some veteran bottom 6 depth with some offense.People around here talk as if Dorion left nothing in the cuboard,or on the roster we could use if we needed to rebuild ...Yes yes Dahlen was traded ....who cares ...we still have plenty left

They certainly didn’t sell Burrows as bottom 6 depth when they acquired him, this is just revisionist history.

Dorion: Very happy with acquisition of Burrows

Go to 5:15, Chris Stevenson asks Dorion whether adding Burrows gives Boucher the opportunity to have a 4th line. He’s got the opportunity to say « yeah this is a great depth acquisition » and does not. Dorion responds that Burrows will slot into the top 2 lines and allow everyone else to play in their proper slot. He also says Burrows can play up and down the lineup which, to me, means more than a 4th liner who can ineffectively stand in front of the net on the PP.

He also sold him as a PK option which isn’t the case this season.

They clearly expected to be getting more than a 4th liner.

Also interesting that he hypes up several prospects including Paul (who hasn’t taken a step forward) and Perron (who he has laid into this season) as justification for not needing Dahlen.

I hope we eventually learn the real motivation behind these deals. Hooefully for Dorion Melnyk is meddling, because he sure doesn’t look like a great judge of talent, at least at the pro level.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
They certainly didn’t sell Burrows as bottom 6 depth when they acquired him, this is just revisionist history.

Dorion: Very happy with acquisition of Burrows

Go to 5:15, Chris Stevenson asks Dorion whether adding Burrows gives Boucher the opportunity to have a 4th line. He’s got the opportunity to say « yeah this is a great depth acquisition » and does not. Dorion responds that Burrows will slot into the top 2 lines and allow everyone else to play in their proper slot. He also says Burrows can play up and down the lineup which, to me, means more than a 4th liner who can ineffectively stand in front of the net on the PP.

He also sold him as a PK option which isn’t the case this season.

They clearly expected to be getting more than a 4th liner.

Also interesting that he hypes up several prospects including Paul (who hasn’t taken a step forward) and Perron (who he has laid into this season) as justification for not needing Dahlen.
He just loves to hear himself talk.

Where has he been through this entire slump? Has anyone heard a thing from him?

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Next year can make it work with Hoffman, Duchene, Brassard, Karlsson, Stone, Andy (or whoever we can acquire to upgrade)
Nah you're not gonna win anything with those guys im sorry, they dont have that winner instect, thats what we have right now and its a disaster.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I don't really think we need to rebuild. Even if we suck for the rest of the year, the top 5 of this draft is stacked, it's likely we end up with an NHL ready player. We have a pretty deep prospect pool, I think it's just a matter of retooling the team to make room for these guys. Get rid of guys like Burrows, Dumont, unfortunately Ryan, maybe even Brassard, Oduya. Focus on getting reliable goaltending in the off-season, try to add a proper shut-down dman.

If they continue to suck the next season or Karlsson walks they can blow it up.

Reactions: Karl Prime

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I feel like the third option on that poll is wanting it both ways.
A)Karlsson isn't going to want to waste MORE of his career on a team that isn't winning a Cup.
B)The presence of Karlsson and Stone may make it hard for us to truly tank.

The Sens are bottom 3 in the league with Karlsson and Stone.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

No one said Dorion left nothing in the cupboard when he traded Dahlen. They traded a prospect with potential for a 36 year old player whose best days were clearly behind him and then extended him until he’s 38. If you’re going to trade Dahlen, get a better player than that.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Nah you're not gonna win anything with those guys im sorry, they dont have that winner instect, thats what we have right now and its a disaster.

Yes, let's just pretend Karlsson didn't almost lead us to the Cup finals. The whole team is terrible at the moment, but that doesn't mean a team led by healthy Karl and Stone can't be competitive with some tweaks to the roster and a new coach. Even Pittsburgh was in pretty bad shape early in the 15-16 season and they became B2B Cup champs. And that team had two of the top 5 players in the league. With some older guys being moved out, some younger guys replacing them, and a high draft pick this year, the team would have a good chance to make the playoffs.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Yes, let's just pretend Karlsson didn't almost lead us to the Cup finals. The whole team is terrible at the moment, but that doesn't mean a team led by healthy Karl and Stone can't be competitive with some tweaks to the roster and a new coach. Even Pittsburgh was in pretty bad shape early in the 15-16 season and they became B2B Cup champs. And that team had two of the top 5 players in the league. With some older guys being moved out, some younger guys replacing them, and a high draft pick this year, the team would have a good chance to make the playoffs.
good luck with that

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
good luck with that

Wonderful response. It took the Oilers a decade to find their superstar - they don't come around often. Tearing everything down and going for a total rebuild doesn't guarantee anything. Not to mention, it's basically impossible to enter next season without all of Karl, Stone, Hoff, Duchene, Brass, Phaneuf, and Ryan. At most we're probably looking at Brass, Smith, and maybe Burrows and Thompson going.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Build around Karlsson-Stone-Chabot-Pageau-Hoffman and our QMJHL scout.

Fire everyone in management, and coaching.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Rebuild time is 2019/20 with 8 free agents including Dumont imo. I think our roster stays like it is right now for the most part next season and the big changes will come in a few years. Have to try to win with Karlsson under a team friendly contract. Then rebuild after we resign him and find someone else for good value in a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00