Speculation: All rebuild related talk (with Poll)

Poll - Would you support a Rebuild?

• Yes - 100% behind a full 3-5 year rebuild. Trade them All (Ek included)

Votes: 29 25.9%
  • No - Rebuilding only works if you get lucky in the draft (see Saber’s, Avs, Canucks, Coyotes)

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Kinda #1 - Keep EK, Stone, Chabot, It can be a quick fix

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Kinda #2 - I won’t support it but I’ll be back when they are good again

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
Based on the current pattern of things , if EK goes , I go too.

It's not worshipping one guy , its that the team mismanaged itself into a spot with bad trades that they now look to try and reverse a trend of bad trades by trading their generational player.

If EK stays and they rebuild, I'll stay.

Here's the issue:

Do you honestly believe he would want to say for a rebuild after having been a part of one at the start of his career? While I get the whole being loyal part, the problem is this: I don't essentially believe EK would want to stay for yet another one to see the team. Part of him is simple: Win. He wants to win. He's, when at 100%, a top three in the league. These guys are not programmed to just lose.

I don't see EK staying if we're going rebuild. And I furthermore see them trading EK for the last year than trying to sign him.

And personally? I think a blow up of the nucleus is in order.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
We need to do the whole thing. A totally fresh start. This should have happened when the team did that retool when they traded Fisher and Kelly and those guys but Management wanted to be a bubble team. We need high end players in RFA contracts. But I don't think everyone should go.

The problem is we have our 1st traded away so we won't even get that player so we are destined to not rebuild until we kneecap ourselves with more insane contracts leaving this team to have money tied up in non productive assets forcing a rebuild

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Nope.

We trade Karlsson, im following him.

We keep Karlsson and rebuild, im done with the Sens. Can't watch more Karlsson be wasted.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
18 months ago, before the Zbad trade, I would have. I certainly would have supported a full tank the year we picked Zibanejad.

But now we’ve played our hand and set our course. We’ve been trading away youth and young assets to « win now » (ha!) it’s not time for a rebuild. We pushed our chips to the centre of the table, why fold now?

We’ve traded the assets you need in a rebuild/retool. Which means it would take that much longer to complete a rebuild. Besides we have Erik Karlsson who is better than anything we could hope to get by tanking.

Just SPEND MONEY and get players to actually improve!! You can’t keep trading assets to get discounted players to save money and win.

What in the actual f*** are they thinking?

It’s just ridiculous that we’re in this situation. Completely inept ownership and management.

So my response would be « Other: if they rebuild I’m done until a change in ownership »

Last edited:

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
"Rebuilding" is such a dumb idea, We were almost at the point last year where we didn't have that much dead weight on this team...and then we decided to trade sign and claim for dead weight..aka "depth". We just need guys with heart and who can move their feet...everyone thinks they're a freaking superstar in Ottawa apparently.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
Absolutely not, although it is a tragedy we are wasting Erik Karlsson's prime. The time to do a full rebuild was when we traded Fisher and Kelly, we should have traded Spezza, Michalek, and Gonchar as well. Melnyk was happy just getting to the playoffs because "anything can happen".

If we rebuild I likely won't have any interest in hockey in a long time to be honest.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Yes. But not with this management group leading the helm.

Dorion Lee and Donovan and the entire Front Office needs to go. Clean house first.

Bring in a complete outsider like: Dean Lombardi or Julian Briesbous. Complete outsider who can objectively look at this roster.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
If Karlsson is traded, then I’m out!

He’s been nothing short of horrible this season, but getting rid of him would destroy this franchise. Might as well move it to Quebec City then.

Reactions: Bileur

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
This whole thing is ridiculous. The team is in a pretty bad slide right now but some of you guys are taking it too far. Maybe the coach needs to go but realistically they probably just need to find their footing again and get their confidence back.

If this team wasn't 28 games into the season you guys would be drooling over this roster so stop talking about trading it all away and blowing it up and all that. Stay the course, they'll pull through this.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I think a quick rebuild can be done. Look at the Bruins.

Keep the heart of the core
Duchene, Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman?

Then maybe Pageau, Brass, Dzingle

And then you add the good youth we already have in DAHLIN:sarcasm:, Chabot, White, Brown, Jaros, Harpur, Chlapik, etc.

It's not like our prospect pool has to be rebuild from scracth. We have talented young man coming. So it can be turn around fairly quick of done properly.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think a quick rebuild can be done. Look at the Bruins.

Keep the heart of the core
Duchene, Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman?

Then maybe Pageau, Brass, Dzingle

And then you add the good youth we already have in DAHLIN:sarcasm:, Chabot, White, Brown, Jaros, Harpur, Chlapik, etc.

It's not like our prospect pool has to be rebuild from scracth. We have talented young man coming. So it can be turn around fairly quick of done properly.
Sacrifice someone to move Ryan and/or Phaneuf. Offer Chlapik + Phaneuf for 3-4mil contract thats 1-3 years.

Move Smith, Ceci, Boro.

Let Oduya and Wideman walk. Waive Dumont. Bury Burrows.

It could work but only if Chabot, White and Brown pan out next season. Thats what happened for Boston. They shed salary AND had prospects work out quickly.

Reactions: Newgates59

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'd need a lot more info on the parameters before taking a position on this topic.

Here's something to chew on. If the GM is going to trade good still developing young players after their ELC and a bridge deal for cost certainty because he fears they will cost too much and he also gives away picks because he has to save a million or two to supposedly keep on budget but then he uses the savings to overpay 3rd and 4th line under performing players then no I wouldn't be in favor. If the GM plans to trade proven core players and futures to make lateral moves then no I'm not in favor. Been there done that!

Karlsson sucks too much oxygen out of the room for a rebuild. A true rebuild would have to be without Karlsson both for his sake and the team. If you don't like that option then vote no!

Also people are dreaming in technicolor if they think 4-5 or more prospects will make the team competitive next year for a quick rebuild. Unless you're a grade A top prospect it takes longer than 2-3-4 years of pro experience to hit your stride.

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
I much more open for another retool rather than a rebuild. Keep players like EK, Stone, Chabot, Duchene, and trade away some D or Bottom 6's for players and bring up youth.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Also people are dreaming in technicolor if they think 4-5 or more prospects will make the team competitive next year for a quick rebuild. Unless you're a grade A top prospect it takes longer than 2-3-4 years of pro experience to hit your stride.

Marner, Nylander, Matthews, traded for a starter and the Leafs are near the top. They kept some core guys like Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner and we have equivalents.
If we get Dahlin, a top C (in 2020...because Dorion traded our first in 2019 as ours is lottery-protected this year), we can be back at the top in 3-4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad