Speculation: All rebuild related talk (with Poll)

Poll - Would you support a Rebuild?

• Yes - 100% behind a full 3-5 year rebuild. Trade them All (Ek included)

Votes: 29 25.9%
  • No - Rebuilding only works if you get lucky in the draft (see Saber’s, Avs, Canucks, Coyotes)

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Kinda #1 - Keep EK, Stone, Chabot, It can be a quick fix

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • Kinda #2 - I won’t support it but I’ll be back when they are good again

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Going into the season, my optimism was based on guys like Chabot and White being in a position to be significant contributors at this point, on MacArthur being available, on goaltending being a strength and Karlsson to be Karlsson. Non of those things have happened. Some of that can be blamed on Boucher (he won't play Chabot), but other aspects that I figured to be key to our success just haven't happened and I'm hesitant to blame on Boucher.

The team was never expected to be a dominant force, but this year it seems everything that can go wrong has.

To that end, I think staying the course and snagging a high end pick in the process could be the best course of action. Moving Ryan and/or Phaneuf would be ideal, and then go from there. Even moving them at 50% retained would allow us to fill the voids internally (some combination of Harpur/Chabot and White/Brown/Formenton). Maybe move secondary pieces like Smith and Burrows if a deal is there. Oh, and Oduya too.

The team isn't as bad as it's played, and a youth movement could be what the doctor ordered. Add a piece like Dahlin to our back end, and some of our prospects, and we could see a pretty quick turnaround, particularly if/when Karlsson returns to form.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The most frustrating thing about possibly getting a top 5 pick this year is that there are no real top line centers available. Obviously no McDavid or Matthews, but not even a Hischier or Patrick. Top prospects are all defensemen or wingers. Unless Joe Veleno pans out.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I say stay the course, don't do anything.

Let the team tank, and start fresh next year with hopefully the No. 1 pick in the cupboards. Dahlin is supposed to behead and shoulders above anyone else.
No need to blow it up, but they must resist the temptation to run the hockey team this year. Just let it burn and add logs. Why do stuff only to end up 17th? Keep Boucher, Keep everyone. Once we get the pick secured, FIRE EVERYONE.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Let the team tank, and start fresh next year with hopefully the No. 1 pick in the cupboards. Dahlin is supposed to behead and shoulders above anyone else.
No need to blow it up, but they must resist the temptation to run the hockey team this year. Just let it burn and add logs. Why do stuff only to end up 17th? Keep Boucher, Keep everyone. Once we get the pick secured, FIRE EVERYONE.

Yikes.

I like him already.

Reactions: coladin

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
This team does not need a complete rebuild. This season is an outlier. We have a lot of young talent coming up, and if we're still bad this year, we will be adding a top blue chip prospect.

There is no reason to blow this roster up

Reactions: topshelf15

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
This team does not need a complete rebuild. This season is an outlier. We have a lot of young talent coming up, and if we're still bad this year, we will be adding a top blue chip prospect.

There is no reason to blow this roster up
Is it really though? We seem to miss the playoffs every other year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I say stay the course, don't do anything.

Bring in a new GM now to replace Dorion before he can do any more damage. Let the new GM assess the organization and players this season and clean house at the trade deadline and season end.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I am sorry but the way to evaluate trades is not only if it makes the team better immediately. This argument is ridiculous. Every deal made should be value based with assets in and assets out while evaluating the players contributions matters it's not the only parameter. From a value perspective he has lost every trade he has made. Every single one. Burrows role can be done by 95% of nhlers for cheaper and giving up no assets. This team's been run into the ground by a guy who never played hockey even at a Jr level that is a doormat to the coach and crazy owner and now the sens are in a position that is impossible to win in. Can't do a quick rebuild and are a terrible team.

He lost the Condon trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->