All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
no he isnt. But a 1 year 5 million or so deal, holds very little risk in it. So why not? we arent going to get another 30+ goal scorer for free or under value anywhere else.

management team cares very little about that sort of thing anyways.
Based on Seravelli's report today, it looks like Kane's agent believes that last big contract is out there this week.

If he's willing to sign short-term, Edmonton has made a few offers. So the question becomes whether he's willing to try another team or go back to playing with McDavid/Drai on another short-term deal and then try to cash in again after that?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Based on Seravelli's report today, it looks like Kane's agent believes that last big contract is out there this week.

If he's willing to sign short-term, Edmonton has made a few offers. So the question becomes whether he's willing to try another team or go back to playing with McDavid/Drai on another short-term deal and then try to cash in again after that?
right. unless some team takes an unlikely gamble on signing him at UFA, i dont see it. I would say there is close to a 0 chance of that gamble happening but GMs do dumb GMs things.
1. if his contract is re-instated, a team has just wasted all that effort on signing him and missed out on other LWs potentially.
2. he still carries some emotional / locker room concerns. I dont see many, if any, teams willing to sign him long term without having him in the locker room first.
3. I highly doubt he wants to be in Edmonton short or long term after coming from SJ.
4. Edmonton needs goalie and defense like something bad. We probably have more cap space than them after the 3rd day of UFA (or so).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If his contract is reinstated then whose property is he?
Sharks...until they trade him. If we wanted Kane, that would be the route I could see over the other options. He'd have three years left at $7M. We could likely get them to take Gardiner in a swap as well.

That said, I doubt his contract is fully reinstated. That would be unprecedented in the league I think. More likely is a resolution similar to Richards in LA if the Sharks are at fault (maybe a 20% chance), or just a legally terminated contract ( greater than 70% chance I think).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Kane a year after dealing with the DeAngelo backlash? I don't think so. Kane isn't coming for $1M like TDA and will be too much to walk away from if it goes tits up

Big fat meh from me about the TDA backlash. At the end of the day, we sold out PNC for basically the final 20 games of the regular season and packed it in during the playoffs with zero noticeable backlash inside or outside of the arena.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

What are Kane's priorities? Does he want to cash in with the biggest paycheck? Well, then he probably needs to go to someone willing to pay him a suck tax, like an Ottawa or maybe even a Chicago.

Does he want to score a lot of goals to maximize his next contract? Then stay in Edmonton.

Does he want to win? Go to a team with proven defense and goaltending and bring in some extra scoring punch, and there are few that fit the billing more than Carolina.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What are Kane's priorities? Does he want to cash in with the biggest paycheck? Well, then he probably needs to go to someone willing to pay him a suck tax, like an Ottawa or maybe even a Chicago.

Does he want to score a lot of goals to maximize his next contract? Then stay in Edmonton.

Does he want to win? Go to a team with proven defense and goaltending and bring in some extra scoring punch, and there are few that fit the billing more than Carolina.
Kane has lost a lot of money over the past year+ and has one last shot to get it back. I'd be surprised if the priority was anything other than #1. If he doesn't get a big offer, then I expect a 1 year maximize goal scoring contract somewhere like Edmonton.

I don't see Chicago making a huge offer, but Ottawa trying to jumpstart the rebuild makes sense. The Devils could try to jumpstart their rebuild as well.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Big fat meh from me about the TDA backlash. At the end of the day, we sold out PNC for basically the final 20 games of the regular season and packed it in during the playoffs with zero noticeable backlash inside or outside of the arena.

The TDA signing only generated a "backlash" among the extremely online crowd. Everybody else just likes the winning.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This pretty much guarantees that Gardiner will be on the team this season. The motherf***er forced the issue.

I really don't like that rhetoric, generally speaking. These athletes are human, too. The guy had surgery that kept him out the whole year and he wants to be an NHLer again. I think that's an admirable goal. Also, Gardiner's contract only has one year remaining, so it's considerably more flexible in either dump trades or contract-for-contract swapping.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I really don't like that rhetoric, generally speaking. These athletes are human, too. The guy had surgery that kept him out the whole year and he wants to be an NHLer again. I think that's an admirable goal. Also, Gardiner's contract only has one year remaining, so it's considerably more flexible in either dump trades or contract-for-contract swapping.
Yeah, heaven forbid the man actually try and resume the career he only spent his whole life working towards…

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
I tend to agree...

While we all aren't likely jumping up and down excited at the uncertainty that Gards wanting to play again brings.....

- the team offered and signed the original deal. We expect the player to hold up their end. Team has to do the same

- the team pretty much forced the issue of surgery last year to move Gards to LTIR as they didn't want the uncertainty of him maybe missing big chunk of time and us scramble to have to replace mid year... Gards did it so we had cap flexibility last season... but now that he did what the team wanted, he wants to play again... and he has a contract that needs to be honored...

-the timing isn't great to get clearance and announce will be ready for camp but because of time of year and nature of injury can't get the buyout now as hasn't been able to play in the summer and show fully recovered and eligible to have all contract resolution steps available to the team. I dont think it was situation of Gards trying to stick it to the team. He just as easily could have waited until the day before training camp and announced his clearance to play and left us with real cap issues and needing to dump a roster player to get compliant.....

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I had no problem with the TDA signing at all. Honestly, most of the homophobic and racist stuff was from juniors and I dare say many people said things as teenagers that they look back on and wish they hadn’t said. With enough ex-Rangers on the team to ask, they had a good idea what they were getting.

Kane’s issues are a bit different.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Other than having too many wingers that prefer to play on the right side instead of the left side, why wouldn't we be a destination for p Kane to waive his no trade to join?

Chicago wants draft picks or really young assets for full rebuild not a necas... if you can't give up picks or youngest draft assets for a max retained Patty Kane,......

Reactions: WreckingCrew
May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
The Gardiner hate is really overblown. He has had some pretty bad gaffes don't get me wrong but there were stretches where he was looking like a legit PP QB which is kinda what we need in addition to the hole needed to be filled in 1RD. I think the question mark for him is if he stays healthy and if his injury was the cause for his gaffes.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The Gardiner hate is really overblown. He has had some pretty bad gaffes don't get me wrong but there were stretches where he was looking like a legit PP QB which is kinda what we need in addition to the hole needed to be filled in 1RD. I think the question mark for him is if he stays healthy and if his injury was the cause for his gaffes.

Gardiner wasn't that good when he was healthy, and he's hurt so often that you just cannot go into a season paying this guy $4m when you know there is a significant chance that he ends the year on the IR. As a cap team, we have to be smarter with our cap spending than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia