All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Handing out market value contracts and trying to compete at a high level go hand in hand. It’s the cost of doing business.

Whether the Islanders should be trying to compete at a high level is questionable. I don’t see the upside with that group in this conference, but it’s not my money (owner) or job (GM) on the line.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Handing out market value contracts and trying to compete at a high level go hand in hand. It’s the cost of doing business.

Whether the Islanders should be trying to compete at a high level is questionable. I don’t see the upside with that group in this conference, but it’s not my money (owner) or job (GM) on the line.
Yes, but when you need to give up assets and sign a market deal to entice a potential UFA to come to your team, you need a high hit rate. You're not going to have enough assets or cap space to do that often.

If Horvat is "just" a second line center, can the Islanders afford to surround him with enough talent to stay near the top of the Metro?

That contract sight unseen is a major reason I'm happy Carolina didn't get too involved in that sweepstakes.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Market value is the last resort. That's what I like about Carolina's strategy of not taking any long term big money risks. You look at the caphits in Carolina and Boston, and it's very clear why they are 1/2.

Both teams have 110 million (random estimate) in player value on the roster. It's a massive advantage.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Market value is the last resort. That's what I like about Carolina's strategy of not taking any long term big money risks. You look at the caphits in Carolina and Boston, and it's very clear why they are 1/2.

Both teams have 110 million (random estimate) in player value on the roster. It's a massive advantage.
Unless our guys are going to take sweetheart deals like many Boston players did, we're not really comparable.

Aho is now going to get paid bigly, whether that's us or another team. At this point I'm leaning towards another team given how the last negotiation went. Like you said, Carolina negotiates differently for better or worse.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Unless our guys are going to take sweetheart deals like many Boston players did, we're not really comparable.

Aho is now going to get paid bigly, whether that's us or another team. At this point I'm leaning towards another team given how the last negotiation went. Like you said, Carolina negotiates differently for better or worse.
I really hope they realize the value in Aho and unless he just wants to move on or asks for the absolute moon they pay him what he’s worth. It’s going to hurt a little but I personally think he’s a franchise caliber center. IMO he’s damn near irreplaceable and any kind of upgrade is going to cost a shit ton more in probably both assets and real dollars. Who was the last center of his caliber and age to make it to the UFA market?

The only way I see them letting him walk is if he just has no interest in playing here. Or the FO really thinks they can be a consistent playoff team with the depth approach and decide to spread his salary out, which would be a huge mistake IMO.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Imagine if we somehow wound up with Michkov from acquiring cap dumps and still won the Cup without any other deadline acquisitions… Michkov is just what the doctor ordered for this team

While I would gladly take Michkov in a hot minute, I can't imagine anyone letting go of a 1st rounder that could possibly get anywhere close to the top-5 in this year's draft.

Prove me wrong, Chuck.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
While I would gladly take Michkov in a hot minute, I can't imagine anyone letting go of a 1st rounder that could possibly get anywhere close to the top-5 in this year's draft.

Prove me wrong, Chuck.
Yeah agreed, although as completely absurd as it sounds some recent chatter does suggest he may slip a bit. In my view he’s 100% the #2 prospect in this draft and I honestly think he could wind up being better than Bedard long term. Slip far enough to a spot we could possibly picking? No not likely. But I also didn’t expect to get Jarvis from Toronto’s pick so…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad