Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The defensive zone assignments are so fluid in the NHL these days that I think the old idea if putting a defensively inept forward with some defensive guru is outdated.
I think if you add a center with better defense (combined with decent offense), you will likely see improved performance with that line, in the dzone.
That may or may not be outdated, but it makes sense to me.
I don't see any pressure on KC to be better defensively so the other option is to build more defense into the line - as outdated as that may seem.
My position is based on the assumption that KC is not going to improve his dgame to an extent that it will make a difference - and my post was based on that scenario.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think if you add a center with better defense (combined with decent offense), you will likely see improved performance with that line, in the dzone.
That may or may not be outdated, but it makes sense to me.
I don't see any pressure on KC to be better defensively so the other option is to build more defense into the line - as outdated as that may seem.
My position is based on the assumption that KC is not going to improve his dgame to an extent that it will make a difference - and my post was based on that scenario.

Fair enough, I took it as the long touted idea that pairing a guy like Connor with some defensive star suddenly improves Connor's defence. It might improve the line's, as you say, but you'd also have to account for the drop in offence, and also that many goals against seem to just be a result of poor backchecking or momentary lapses of concentration rather than just bad defence.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Fair enough, I took it as the long touted idea that pairing a guy like Connor with some defensive star suddenly improves Connor's defence. It might improve the line's, as you say, but you'd also have to account for the drop in offence, and also that many goals against seem to just be a result of poor backchecking or momentary lapses of concentration rather than just bad defence.
I don't see him improving much in that area. It's not like he's lazy - he just doesn't want much to do with contact as strange (and unacceptable to many) as that may seem in pro hockey. He's a highly skilled skinny player that wants to score - period.
IMO, we live with that, or we find a way to support his shortfalls - I'd prefer they add support and see what comes of that. It'll come down to bang for the buck and they should sort that out before his next contract.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I don't see him improving much in that area. It's not like he's lazy - he just doesn't want much to do with contact as strange (and unacceptable to many) as that may seem in pro hockey. He's a highly skilled skinny player that wants to score - period.
IMO, we live with that, or we find a way to support his shortfalls - I'd prefer they add support and see what comes of that. It'll come down to bang for the buck and they should sort that out before his next contract.
Agree with the way you`ve characterized Connor`s play - especially about him avoiding contact in any significant way. But surely the coach`s could modify his responsibilities a little to help with the defensive side of the game. Make Connor the first forward in on the forecheck always -using his speed. Teach him how to take better angles, teach him to use body position and his stick to "check" and to simply always be standing on the right side of the puck along the boards. If he wants to play high and avoid corner work, make him more aware of the requirement to again use his great speed and hands to backcheck and pressure the puck carrier when the other guys get control.

And perhaps discipline him mildly when need be - preferably in private in the Room but even visibly by on ice decisions during the game. Make him AWARE that you expect more of him.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agree with the way you`ve characterized Connor`s play - especially about him avoiding contact in any significant way. But surely the coach`s could modify his responsibilities a little to help with the defensive side of the game. Make Connor the first forward in on the forecheck always -using his speed. Teach him how to take better angles, teach him to use body position and his stick to "check" and to simply always be standing on the right side of the puck along the boards. If he wants to play high and avoid corner work, make him more aware of the requirement to again use his great speed and hands to backcheck and pressure the puck carrier when the other guys get control.

And perhaps discipline him mildly when need be - preferably in private in the Room but even visibly by on ice decisions during the game. Make him AWARE that you expect more of him.
TBH, I think he is already doing a lot the things you've pointed out -
But without contact, those are half measures and IMO, won't work in a high paced game where most teams are playing hard on the puck.
I see him on the forecheck already - he's often the first in - but never makes contact.
Better angles are great - if you intend to do something when you get there.
He uses his speed on the backcheck - he does come back. And then he sets up high and waits.
Where he lacks is along the walls - and it's hard to avoid contact when scrapping for possession in your end

But I get your point - need to try something - but not sure it will make much difference if he avoids contact.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
connor is similarly built to quite a few of the top goal scorers over recent seasons. Marchessault and Kaprizov are puny. EP, Aho, Guentzel, Carter V, and Point and are listed at similar heights and weights. all seem to have better defensive stats along with goal-differentials (5v5) and throw their body around at higher rates. KC just might not have dat dawg in him w/o the puck.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
connor is similarly built to quite a few of the top goal scorers over recent seasons. Marchessault and Kaprizov are puny. EP, Aho, Guentzel, Carter V, and Point and are listed at similar heights and weights. all seem to have better defensive stats along with goal-differentials (5v5) and throw their body around at higher rates. KC just might not have dat dawg in him w/o the puck.
I agree - he doesn't.
And I don't think it matters how many times we ask him to - he won't.
Is what he is

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
So why not send a message, bench him for a period, staple him to the 4th line? He’s be awful…the run without him in the lineup really does make you think…
I agree - he doesn't.
And I don't think it matters how many times we ask him to - he won't.
Is what he is

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
So why not send a message, bench him for a period, staple him to the 4th line? He’s be awful…the run without him in the lineup really does make you think…
So what is the message and do you think KC is ignoring what the coach is already telling him?
IOW's, do you think Bones is frustrated with KC because he isn't listening and now it's time to send a message?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
TBH, I think he is already doing a lot the things you've pointed out -
But without contact, those are half measures and IMO, won't work in a high paced game where most teams are playing hard on the puck.
I see him on the forecheck already - he's often the first in - but never makes contact.
Better angles are great - if you intend to do something when you get there.
He uses his speed on the backcheck - he does come back. And then he sets up high and waits.
Where he lacks is along the walls - and it's hard to avoid contact when scrapping for possession in your end

But I get your point - need to try something - but not sure it will make much difference if he avoids contact.

He makes contact on the forecheck. Not what I would call hitting, :laugh: but contact.

I've seen him just give up on the backcheck when a little skating and a stick check could have saved a goal. You can probably say that about pretty much any player if you are just talking rare occasions. They might not have the legs at that point. But it happens too often with Connor. He could do better without getting beaten up. I think he just doesn't have the mind set. That could be fixed.

Reactions: hn777 and LowLefty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad