All Purpose Tickets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The broker. Here is the scenario...
You list your tickets on the exchange.
A random person lists the same seats on StubHub (or different 3rd party site) for a much higher price.
If someone (unlikely) buys the tickets on StubHub, the broker purchase your seats at a lower price on the exchange and sends them to the buyer on StubHub and pockets the difference. It's called shorting tickets and StubHub had a policy against it.

If you are in the mood to spend money and screw the broker, this is what you can do if the seat numbers are listed.
Buy the broker's tickets on StubHub and immediately take down your tickets from the exchange, or RAISE the price to be higher than the brokers.
If you raise them, the broker has to buy yours at a higher price to cover and you made a little but of money.
If you remove them, he can't deliver the tickets and you call StubHub and say that you will not accept a refund or better seats and you demand what you purchased. The best story is to say that your relatives are in the row in front of you and that is the only reason you got the seats. Eventually, they will either offer you much better seats or throw a refund and a few hunted dollars your way and the broker gets a strike against them.

All of these things is a pain in the butt and take time to do, but I know people that have done both with success.

The Preds make money for everything you sell on the Exchange, thus they make it difficult to sell on StubHub with 48 hour rule.

So you are saying a ticket broker just randomly scans ticket listings and lists tickets they have no control over in hopes of carrying out the scenario you list above?

I could (almost) understand if it was the Preds doing it or even ticketmaster. But if random brokers are doing that I absolutely would go to any necessary trouble to screw them over.......

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
So you are saying a ticket broker just randomly scans ticket listings and lists tickets they have no control over in hopes of carrying out the scenario you list above?

I could (almost) understand if it was the Preds doing it or even ticketmaster. But if random brokers are doing that I absolutely would go to any necessary trouble to screw them over.......

Yes. That is exactly it. It's not necessarily the big brokers that are doing it. The big ones have programs that will remove cross listings within minutes.

The Preds have nothing to do with it. One reason that Nashville is a market where this is easy to get away with is that the Preds aren't sold out. If the StubHub seats get sold, and you remove the listing, the broker can cover the sale with better seats purchased at a lower price than Ticketmaster. This used to be a VERY common scenario with the NY Yankees, but StubHub has gotten very strict with the covers. They are now completing the sale by buying something from their current listings to make the buyer whole. It works out for everyone except the broker. You can only have it go wrong a few times before they cancel your account.

Walk With Lias

Sep 18, 2007
So I'm a new york resident coming down for the Ranger game in a few weeks. I can't buy tickets from the team? Can I buy tickets the day of the game at the box office with my NY based credit card? Or do I have to stick with the secondary market.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So I'm a new york resident coming down for the Ranger game in a few weeks. I can't buy tickets from the team? Can I buy tickets the day of the game at the box office with my NY based credit card? Or do I have to stick with the secondary market.

Try calling the box office. If that don't work then you would probably have to deal with the secondary market.

negipai98

Jul 14, 2014
Hi everyone. Out of towner here and saw this on the Ticketmaster site:

"To better serve Nashville Predator fans, a restricted sales area has been implemented for this Nashville Predator game at the Bridgestone Arena. Sales will be restricted to residents of the Nashville Predators television viewing area - Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Residency will be based on credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside the viewing area will be canceled without notice and refunds given."

When they say "viewing area" and include Georgia, does that mean the whole state (I'm specifically interested in Atlanta)? I don't know much about where the natural lines of demarcation are and if they mean only areas in Georgia where games are shown, or the whole state (which may actually be the same thing).

Ranger fan here who may go to the game with a friend from Atlanta and don't know if he'll be able to buy seats - I certainly won't be able to :(

Thanks!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Hi everyone. Out of towner here and saw this on the Ticketmaster site:

"To better serve Nashville Predator fans, a restricted sales area has been implemented for this Nashville Predator game at the Bridgestone Arena. Sales will be restricted to residents of the Nashville Predators television viewing area - Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Residency will be based on credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside the viewing area will be canceled without notice and refunds given."

When they say "viewing area" and include Georgia, does that mean the whole state (I'm specifically interested in Atlanta)? I don't know much about where the natural lines of demarcation are and if they mean only areas in Georgia where games are shown, or the whole state (which may actually be the same thing).

Ranger fan here who may go to the game with a friend from Atlanta and don't know if he'll be able to buy seats - I certainly won't be able to :(

Thanks!

Basically the way it works is, if you get the game on TV, you should have access to buy the tickets. Having said that, with it being so close to the Rangers game, if you call up the Box Office rather than try to use Ticketmaster.com, you may get better results.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So stupid. Sorry if you don't agree but it is.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013

Worst policy ever.

They also restricted PDF to 9 hours before the game for the Hawks game next week instead of the usual 48. Same thing with the Wings. Not sure about the Blues and the Rangers yet.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

I understand both sides. The policy was only enacted because we were getting overrun by away fans who acted like they owned the place once they got here time and time again. Something had to be done. Was this policy the correct one? Maybe not, but at least it was something to slow it down.

The other side of this makes it harder for other teams' fans who are not part of this to get tickets.

Worst policy ever.

They also restricted PDF to 9 hours before the game for the Hawks game next week instead of the usual 48. Same thing with the Wings. Not sure about the Blues and the Rangers yet.

IMO they should have done like they said in the beginning. These games were supposed to be ticketless, meaning your passport or credit card only for entry, no PDF's. I am so tired of the place being filled 50% or more with the opposing fans who think they own the place.

negipai98

Jul 14, 2014
Basically the way it works is, if you get the game on TV, you should have access to buy the tickets. Having said that, with it being so close to the Rangers game, if you call up the Box Office rather than try to use Ticketmaster.com, you may get better results.

Thanks. Will give that a try. First time I've ever run into this, although I heard about some teams doing it. Kind of odd...would the team rather sell fewer tickets or have a full building, even if some of those fans are from other teams? Having been to many Ranger/Islander games on Long Island and Ranger/Devil games in NJ, the environment is awesome. Ranger fans swarm the place (last night was about 50/50 in Brooklyn) and are intense, but the home fans end up being far more vocal than they would be during another regular season game versus a more nondescript opponent. It's as good an environment as any you'll find in sports. Granted, I say this as a road fan, but even so, the place is rocking and passions are raised on both sides. Plus, the home team is getting a rare sell out, so the team has to be happy.

No idea what the environment is like in Nashville, but is it not the same when Wings and Hawks fans come to town? Isles and Devils fans tend to push back (not physically, obviously), however I used to go to Whalers games when the Rangers visited and they were silent, so don't know where Nashville falls on the spectrum.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Thanks. Will give that a try. First time I've ever run into this, although I heard about some teams doing it. Kind of odd...would the team rather sell fewer tickets or have a full building, even if some of those fans are from other teams? Having been to many Ranger/Islander games on Long Island and Ranger/Devil games in NJ, the environment is awesome. Ranger fans swarm the place (last night was about 50/50 in Brooklyn) and are intense, but the home fans end up being far more vocal than they would be during another regular season game versus a more nondescript opponent. It's as good an environment as any you'll find in sports. Granted, I say this as a road fan, but even so, the place is rocking and passions are raised on both sides. Plus, the home team is getting a rare sell out, so the team has to be happy.

No idea what the environment is like in Nashville, but is it not the same when Wings and Hawks fans come to town? Isles and Devils fans tend to push back (not physically, obviously), however I used to go to Whalers games when the Rangers visited and they were silent, so don't know where Nashville falls on the spectrum.

Detroit no. They used to take over, but not so much anymore. Chicago and St. Louis take over and when I say take over, I mean they come in swarms and there isn't the rockin passion you talk of. Chicago fans that come for the most part are drunkin fools that make idiots of themselves and fill the arena at about half capacity, it has gotten to the point where STH's are sick of it and sell their tickets or just don't go at all and take a loss. Nov 16, 2013 Chicago played here and got stomped 7-2 by Nashville, Metro Police set a record for arrests that night. That tells you what kind of mess we deal with when Chicago comes in.

St. Louis basically makes it their home arena. They fill it about 50% like Chicago, but while they aren't as drunk, you can't tell you are in Nashville the way they carry on.

These two teams are why this rule was put into place.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I understand both sides. The policy was only enacted because we were getting overrun by away fans who acted like they owned the place once they got here time and time again. Something had to be done. Was this policy the correct one? Maybe not, but at least it was something to slow it down.

The other side of this makes it harder for other teams' fans who are not part of this to get tickets.

IMO they should have done like they said in the beginning. These games were supposed to be ticketless, meaning your passport or credit card only for entry, no PDF's. I am so tired of the place being filled 50% or more with the opposing fans who think they own the place.

I do to, but that is the textbook definition of discrimination and the NFL teams that have done that are still making their way through the court system. In NY, there is a law against paperless tickets and I'm happy for that.

They can have a presale for Tennessee residents if they really want locals....but the truth is that the people that buy those will probably resell them. I sold mine for a lot.

If everything is ticketless what happens to people that get them as gifts? or for people that travel? I personally believe in a free market economy... I realize it's not perfect, but it's fair.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I do to, but that is the textbook definition of discrimination and the NFL teams that have done that are still making their way through the court system. In NY, there is a law against paperless tickets and I'm happy for that.

They can have a presale for Tennessee residents if they really want locals....but the truth is that the people that buy those will probably resell them. I sold mine for a lot.

If everything is ticketless what happens to people that get them as gifts? or for people that travel? I personally believe in a free market economy... I realize it's not perfect, but it's fair.

My point was they should have followed through with what they said they would do. They had this huge meeting with STH's last year and harped on how it would all be ticketless for all future Blackhawk/Blues games. Now they backtrack.

And as far as you sold yours for alot, that's what is causing the problem we are having. STH's are either 1) selling theirs for alot of money or 2) not going at all and not selling them but taking a loss instead just to not deal with the idiot Chicago fans. This is making the issue worse each year. Years of this combined with the idiot away fans acting the way they act when they come is why this rule was implemented. You don't end up with a single day's arrest record by accident, that happened the night Nashville destroyed Chicago 7-2 on 11/16/13. And each year the drunken stupidness gets worse. Yet we as fans continue to allow it and ruin the in game experience for the other fans. Should all Nashville fans just cave and just not go so we don't have a bad experience or should we do something about it?

Oh and you talk about "it is fair", how is it fair to ruin an experience for the locals who want to enjoy a game just so some out of towners can come in?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
My point was they should have followed through with what they said they would do. They had this huge meeting with STH's last year and harped on how it would all be ticketless for all future Blackhawk/Blues games. Now they backtrack.

And as far as you sold yours for alot, that's what is causing the problem we are having. STH's are either 1) selling theirs for alot of money or 2) not going at all and not selling them but taking a loss instead just to not deal with the idiot Chicago fans. This is making the issue worse each year. Years of this combined with the idiot away fans acting the way they act when they come is why this rule was implemented. You don't end up with a single day's arrest record by accident, that happened the night Nashville destroyed Chicago 7-2 on 11/16/13. And each year the drunken stupidness gets worse. Yet we as fans continue to allow it and ruin the in game experience for the other fans. Should all Nashville fans just cave and just not go so we don't have a bad experience or should we do something about it?

Oh and you talk about "it is fair", how is it fair to ruin an experience for the locals who want to enjoy a game just so some out of towners can come in?

Agreed. I am generally against ticket restrictions, but in the case of St Louis and Chicago games I am ok with anything that is done to keep them out. Just compare the Chicago playoff games last year to the normal home game against them. Night and day difference......

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Yeah, I think it's awesome when the Hawks and Blues come to town but I'm in the minority here. I would think the environment you describe would be really fun but I guess it's not in our fan DNA yet. Maybe it's cultural, I don't know. Preds fans get rubbed the wrong way with visiting fans when it seems like football fans don't seem to care that much. Would I like fewer of them in the building? Sure, but we're a small market that's desirable to go to so these things will happen. I think the frequency of visiting fans crowding our arena is a little overblown. Chicago, St. Louis, maybe Detroit and maybe those games like last year on a Saturday afternoon against the Rangers. It's rarely an epidemic.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, I think it's awesome when the Hawks and Blues come to town but I'm in the minority here. I would think the environment you describe would be really fun but I guess it's not in our fan DNA yet. Maybe it's cultural, I don't know. Preds fans get rubbed the wrong way with visiting fans when it seems like football fans don't seem to care that much.

What is the point of having home ice? You basically lose any home ice advantage when this happens. I really do not see why people like this other than to argue and fight with the guy sitting next to them. Plus if they would act like a civilized grown adult rather than a 2 year old drunken fool things may be different.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
What is the point of having home ice? You basically lose any home ice advantage when this happens. I really do not see why people like this other than to argue and fight with the guy sitting next to them. Plus if they would act like a civilized grown adult rather than a 2 year old drunken fool things may be different.
I see the point, I'm just used to it I guess. The Preds have a lot of visiting fans come in. I used to work for the Panthers and our games there can be 80% Montreal/Toronto/New York fans when they play there. I used to go to Kings games and visiting fans were always there. The NFL, as a Chargers fan we have visiting fans every week that take over the place. I'm a Vandy fan and it's always full of away fans. It's even happening to the Titans now. It's just something that doesn't bother me because I'm used to being in those environments. Drunk, sober, young, old, whatever....it just barely even phases me because of all that. IMO it's sports and whoever wants to go should be able to go. If you're a fan of a team without a hardcore-enough fan base to willfully keep away fans out by not selling their tickets then away fans will be something you'll have to deal with. We shouldn't have to make up ticket policies to cover up the number of ticket holders who have no problem selling their tickets to the highest bidder.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013

I actually sold them for a lot to someone in Tennessee. What about when I have to sell games for a loss because the box office has a Tuesday night special for lower bowl seas that is cheaper than than what I bought mine for? I'm on several groups and all I see is people selling their seats for a fraction of what they paid for them. Eventually people get tired of losing money for games they can't make.

I understand that the Preds are still a youngish team and are trying to get fans and people to buy season tickets, but discounting every Tuesday game, Kroeger Promotion, and all the other things they do undervalue what people that made a commitment for multiple years in the tens of thousands of dollars do.

I'm not here to argue. I had no idea about the single night arrest record. I know that people sometimes act like ass hats. I go to lots of 'away' arenas for many sports and I have no problem cheering for my team without being an ass and participate in very good natured ribbing with the people around me (except Philly).

The reason most season ticket holders sell for a lot is because they realize that by not going to a handful of games, they can essentially pay for their whole season. This is my first year having seats, so I'm still learning the ropes about everything.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I see the point, I'm just used to it I guess. The Preds have a lot of visiting fans come in. I used to work for the Panthers and our games there can be 80% Montreal/Toronto/New York fans when they play there. I used to go to Kings games and visiting fans were always there. The NFL, as a Chargers fan we have visiting fans every week that take over the place. I'm a Vandy fan and it's always full of away fans. It's even happening to the Titans now. It's just something that doesn't bother me because I'm used to being in those environments. Drunk, sober, young, old, whatever....it just barely even phases me because of all that. IMO it's sports and whoever wants to go should be able to go. If you're a fan of a team without a hardcore-enough fan base to willfully keep away fans out by not selling their tickets then away fans will be something you'll have to deal with. We shouldn't have to make up ticket policies to cover up the number of ticket holders who have no problem selling their tickets to the highest bidder.

There are also many economic factors to these games. Every business in town (even if they won't admit it) loves when teams that travel well come to town. Hotels are booked, restaurants are packed, people are shopping, and bringing lots of money into the economy. I don't have time now, but I'll try to find the article when I get home from work.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013

I spend the majority of my time in NYC and go to a lot of games.... There are TONS of visiting fans from pretty much everywhere at every game.

LetsGetThis

Sep 30, 2013
Yeah, I think it's awesome when the Hawks and Blues come to town but I'm in the minority here. I would think the environment you describe would be really fun but I guess it's not in our fan DNA yet. Maybe it's cultural, I don't know. Preds fans get rubbed the wrong way with visiting fans when it seems like football fans don't seem to care that much. Would I like fewer of them in the building? Sure, but we're a small market that's desirable to go to so these things will happen. I think the frequency of visiting fans crowding our arena is a little overblown. Chicago, St. Louis, maybe Detroit and maybe those games like last year on a Saturday afternoon against the Rangers. It's rarely an epidemic.

As a female who attends games alone, I don't feel SAFE with how I've been treated by their fans in the past. Shouldn't I, as a STH, be able to feel safe in my home arena? This is where there's a problem. I love having visiting fans, but not when I feel legitimately feel threatened.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I actually sold them for a lot to someone in Tennessee. What about when I have to sell games for a loss because the box office has a Tuesday night special for lower bowl seas that is cheaper than than what I bought mine for? I'm on several groups and all I see is people selling their seats for a fraction of what they paid for them. Eventually people get tired of losing money for games they can't make.

I understand that the Preds are still a youngish team and are trying to get fans and people to buy season tickets, but discounting every Tuesday game, Kroeger Promotion, and all the other things they do undervalue what people that made a commitment for multiple years in the tens of thousands of dollars do.

I'm not here to argue. I had no idea about the single night arrest record. I know that people sometimes act like ass hats. I go to lots of 'away' arenas for many sports and I have no problem cheering for my team without being an ass and participate in very good natured ribbing with the people around me (except Philly).

The reason most season ticket holders sell for a lot is because they realize that by not going to a handful of games, they can essentially pay for their whole season. This is my first year having seats, so I'm still learning the ropes about everything.

First of all, I need to say that I was not trying to single you out. Just stating that a STH selling their seats for alot more money was what was making the problem worse (a trend over the last several years).

In regards to STH selling them to pay for them a chunk of the season, IMO that only started happening once they got fed up with the stupidness that was these games. They realized that they could make a nice bit of money off of them. That is not me. Unless something physically forces me to miss (such as snow/ice), I am there. Because of that, it angers me that STH's contribute to the problem and I am for any policy the team enacts to stop the problem (including the banning of re-selling the tickets all together). And I will say when I say problem I mean Chicago and St. Louis. That single night arrest record wasn't all at the game. It was before....during...and after. The Chicago fans show up at the game already drunk from pregame bar hopping and purchase even more booze at the game and get even drunker then head out to more bars after the games and get even drunker.

I do understand the promotion problem making weekday games seem like we overpaid, but at the same time, we are getting Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc significantly cheaper than single ticket sales.

If STH's have to sell several games just to make it worth it or because they are out of town alot, why not just purchase a smaller ticket package that was actually affordable or had the # of games they actually wanted to attend. You still get STH benefits this way. The flex plan lets you pick your games so you don't have to worry about being out of town/sell for a loss when there is a game.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
As a female who attends games alone, I don't feel SAFE with how I've been treated by their fans in the past. Shouldn't I, as a STH, be able to feel safe in my home arena? This is where there's a problem. I love having visiting fans, but not when I feel legitimately feel threatened.

You should feel safe anywhere you go. Last season there were Rangers fans that went to far in our section and a few people reported them and they were tossed immediately.

If people are acting like jerks and drinking too much, I'm all for tossing them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad