Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tomas Machac is one of the big stories of the year. Gnarly game and a tough out. I'm not expecting him to beat Sinner today, but I am expecting him to put up a strong fight.

Wasn't much of a match. Machac was an unforced error machine and Sinner was his usual efficient self, 4 and 2.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Jarry has a power game, but his forehand tends to go haywire. I doubt it will hold up against Medvedev.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a complete ass kicking Dimitrov is handing Carlos at the moment, 6-2, 4-1.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What a complete ass kicking Dimitrov is handing Carlos at the moment, 6-2, 4-1.
This is a shock. You would expect Dimitrov's level to drop a bit and Alcaraz to figure out a few things but this is an ass kicking

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos broke back to even the second set and momentum seemed his, but then Dimitrov upped his game once again and took the set and the match with authority 6-4. Absolutely superb performance by Grigor who actually outgunned Carlos from the baseline and placed his serve so well that he only had to hit, like, two plus-one backhands the entire night.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After the match Carlos said "He made me feel like I'm 13-years-old."

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This Dimitrov/Zverev match is a doozie. Sinner destroyed Medvedev earlier today. Daniil didn't have a clue how to play him.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Can't wait for the final--both of these guys are beyond red hot, probably playing the best tennis of their lives. Dimitrov has now knocked off back to back Top Five players and looked brilliant doing it. He broke a seven match losing streak against Zverev tonight. Sinner looks like the best player in the world--he made Daniil look like a 13-year-old today. Gotta like Sinner in the final but, man, it should be a great match.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Go Collins!

Probably her last chance at a big title since she's retiring after this season.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What a great day for Danielle!

Gaby and Erin go for the women's doubles final at 12:30 and then Sinner and Dimitrov at 3.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A Sinner win today pushes him past Alcaraz to #2 in the rankings. That's a strong incentive.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner is unreal. So quick, so solid, so dynamic. Dimitrov didn't even play bad!
Grigor's backhand got destroyed by Sinner, the same backhand that shined so brightly against Carlos and Zverev. Once he found his form early in the first set, Jannik was just totally on a different level than Dimitrov. I wonder if Sinner, now 25-1 on the year, can continue this level of play on clay. Sure is fun to watch.

Reactions: otown and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
19 year old Stakusic qualified for the WTA250 in Bogota. She'll enter the top 200 for the first time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner is unreal. So quick, so solid, so dynamic. Dimitrov didn't even play bad!
You are absolutely right. The irony is that the very same things that helped Dimitrov defeat Carlos and Zverev proved worse than useless against Sinner. His aggressive groundstrokes came back at Grigor faster than he sent them. Jannik dominated backhand exchanges, partially because he could go down the line whenever he wanted. Dimitrov's return of serve game didn't faze Sinner a bit. Grigor's favourite pattern--hit wide on the deuce side than counter with a forehand down the line into open court--Jannik gobbled up and hit winners off of. Whatever Dimitrov threw at him only provided a clinic for Sinner's defensive skills. I agree with others--Sinner will be #1 by the end of the year, probably a lot sooner.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
And then there was one.....

Murray out indefinitely with ruptured ankle ligaments. Rafa withdraws from Monte Carlo saying his body just isn't ready to play tennis. Not too big a stretch for one or both of them to pack it in.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
And then there was one.....

Murray out indefinitely with ruptured ankle ligaments. Rafa withdraws from Monte Carlo saying his body just isn't ready to play tennis. Not too big a stretch for one or both of them to pack it in.
I feel so bad for them both.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Monte Carlo is already underway. I haven't seen a draw, but I'll pick Sinner over Alcaraz in the final simply because it is a very slow court and Jannik is the more patient of the two players. Sentimentally, I'm rooting for Nole who has been lousy here for years, but if he wins Monte Carlo he will have won all the 1000-level tournaments at least three times when no one else has ever won them all even once.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Felix was down a set and up an early break in the 2nd vs Sonego. Serving for the set he was down 30-40 and hit an easy overhead into the net. I had to leave at that point and saw that he lost 7-5. It was so predictable.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Legitimate questions before the event:

Will the long layoff hurt Djokovic in his least favourite 1000 level tournament?: He beats Safiullin 6-1, 6-2.
Will the quick transition to clay from Miami trouble Sinner?: he beat Korda 6-1, 6-2.

It's becoming almost impossible to tell which is better--Sinner's defensive play or offensive play (and the seamless transition between each). Throw in winning 21 out of 22 first serves and Korda never had a chance.

With Carlos on the side lines, Djokovic becomes more of a threat. His first match was an absolute clinic. He often starts tournaments slow, but not this time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev over Monfils 2 and 4 in a highly entertaining match. Daniil looked surprisingly great on the slow clay.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Quarterfinal predictions. Hope we are heading for a Nole/Sinner final.

Tsitsipas over Khachanov
Sinner over Rune

Ruud over Humbert
Djokovic over De Minaur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad