Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Carlos is so damned fun to watch! Can't wait to see him and Sinner. Zverev was annihilated.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alcaraz over Zverev 3 and 1. What a show Carlos put on tonight. Good to see him back to his spectacular self.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos is so damned fun to watch! Can't wait to see him and Sinner. Zverev was annihilated.
While I was watching this match and regularly oohing and aahing, it struck me that his wonderful showmanship might someday be an Achilles heel. He clearly wants to entertain; wants to give the crowd a good time. It's fun but it is not the most efficient way to go about your business. Maybe that will change a little as he grows older.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev over Rune in straight sets. Rune had a pretty good tournament, showed signs of life. He was consistently outsmarted by Daniil, though, and 40+ unforced errors didn't help.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
While I was watching this match and regularly oohing and aahing, it struck me that his wonderful showmanship might someday be an Achilles heel. He clearly wants to entertain; wants to give the crowd a good time. It's fun but it is not the most efficient way to go about your business. Maybe that will change a little as he grows older.
I loved that moment when he saw the woman with the tshirt that had his picture all over and he smiled!

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Shelton reminds me of Denis in a number of ways. Lefty, tons of flash, long bad spurts of play, too dramatic. Hopefully he can reign some of that in.

I believe that the sooner he stops having a bully attitude, the sooner he can reach his maximum potential.

Reactions: MsMeow

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Pretty crazy Maria Sakkari only has two career singles titles at the main WTA level. It looks like she made the right choice hiring David Witt after Pegula let him go.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So Sinner shares his umbrella with a delighted ball girl, and then proceeded to have a nice chat with her as though he didn't have a care in the world. Meanwhile while walking off the court headed to the locker room, Alcaraz pauses to let Sinner catch up, and they proceed to have a chat. Nice guys or what?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
So Sinner shares his umbrella with a delighted ball girl, and then proceeded to have a nice chat with her as though he didn't have a care in the world. Meanwhile while walking off the court headed to the locker room, Alcaraz pauses to let Sinner catch up, and they proceed to have a chat. Nice guys or what?
It's really refreshing to see.

Reactions: QueerGirrl

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So, more frequently it seems, the Alcazar/Sinner match up doesn't deliver a very good tennis match. Sinner dominated the first set 6-1, making Carlos' claims that Sinner is right now the better player seem a reality. But Carlos went to work in the second set and held on to his early break to take it to a third. In the final set, Sinner just ran out of gas, losing 6-2. These guys are going to have a weird atmosphere around their matches for awhile, a lot psychological nuance going on. These days you never know quite what you are going to get

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The second semi had a similar narrative. Paul won the first with another breadstick then Medvedev went off to a 4- love lead in the second which he blew, but managed to take the breaker. Paul hurt his leg a little and couldn't put up much resistance in the third

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Iga won the first three games, Sakkari the next three, and then Swiatek ran the table the rest of the way. Midway through it looked like Maria was going to be quite competitive, but then Iga turned up her game and that was that.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Carlos is just unreal. Down 0-3 in the first, 3 games I missed, then he evens it up and wins in a breaker. Up 4-1 now. Daniil looks defeated. And 6-1 in the 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Re: the serve problem. Well, maybe not so much these days. As of 2-all in the second, 53% of his first serves have not been returned.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The slump is over. Which, I'm sure, comes as good news to a lot of people as Carlos brings so much joy and jaw-dropping skill to the game.

Not a vintage Indian Wells. The weather was surprisingly fickle, for the most part the level of tennis wasn't great, and early upsets made for some flat quarterfinals on both sides. The best matches were basically Carlos shows, closer to a one-man show. The early Djokovic exit seemed to drain some energy from the event. Still the right guy won and that set up some fascinating questions for Miami and the clay court season.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Funniest moment: after a point against Rune, Medvedev elaborately hitched up his tennis shorts in an imitation of Holger's short shorts look. Holger was not amused. Classic Medvedev move, though.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Terrible news. Sabalenka's boyfriend passed away in Miami. Konstantin Koltsov, former hockey player for the Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad