Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I would be shocked if she actually played. I don't even want to watch if she does.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The latest report says that she intends to play. I don't think we have any right to judge this decision. She must be in a state of shock, and who wouldn't be? There are infinite ways to respond to grief, and hers deserves respect and support

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The latest report says that she intends to play. I don't think we have any right to judge this decision. She must be in a state of shock, and who wouldn't be? There are infinite ways to respond to grief, and hers deserves respect and support
Agree 100%. If this works for her then she should do it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Miami predictions (the "better luck this time" predictions)

Alcaraz over Hurkacz
Rune over Khachanov

Medvedev over Fritz
Sinner over Bublik

Alcaraz over Rune
Sinner over Medvedev

Sinner over Alcaraz

Dark Horses: Davidovich Fokina, Berrettini

Unknown Quantity: Blanch (16-year-old phenom ranked #1034)

Don't bet on: FAA, Tsitsipas

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Funny thing, I have been enjoying Sabalenka on the court so much more lately. In the last year or so, her on-court persona has transformed from crazy person to someone vulnerable, likeable, even funny occasionally. She seems much less riddled by pressure, more transparent and balanced with a girlish charm that was not in evident early in her career. She seemed to be really enjoying her life lately, so much more at ease with everything. How hard this new equilibrium must have been to earn, and now how impossible to know what this tragedy will fully cost her. I really feel for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: QueerGirrl

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Darwin Blanch (sounds like a southern character from a Cormac McCarthy novel), the 16-year-old, acquitted himself very well against Machac, losing 4 and 2. In fact, he had control of the first set 4-3, 40-15 before reality finally set in. Darwin possesses an excellent potential serve, a silky backhand, and surprisingly astute court sense to go along with his compact ground strokes. The fly-in-the-ointment today was his somewhat unorthodox forehand that broke down a lot during the match. He's two years away from competing at this level, but he is going to be a very good one when he does.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Funny thing, I have been enjoying Sabalenka on the court so much more lately. In the last year or so, her on-court persona has transformed from crazy person to someone vulnerable, likeable, even funny occasionally. She seems much less riddled by pressure, more transparent and balanced with a girlish charm that was not in evident early in her career. She seemed to be really enjoying her life lately, so much more at ease with everything. How hard this new equilibrium must have been to earn, and now how impossible to know what this tragedy will fully cost her. I really feel for her.
I'm not crazy about her game but I really like her personality. I feel the same about Andy Murray. Speaking of which, he is playing Berrettini who had a dizzy spell late in the 2nd and they are now in the third.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Word on the street is that they had split so that makes it a bit easier to understand her playing on. Just sad.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another teenager to keep any eye on is 19-year-old Juncheng Shang of China, a lefty who defeated Kecmanovic 7-6, 4-6. 7-6 in a match of extended rallies and aggressive baseline play. Speedy Shang's game is constructed around a tightly looped forehand and a compact backhand that are very effective and he knows how to throw all kinds of different looks, spins and speeds at his opponent off those groundstrokes. He already seems like a different player than he did at the Australian Open, Top twenty potential, I think.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If you have Hulu + Live Sports T2 is now free. The Tennis Channel still costs extra. At least I can now watch T2 and the Golf and NFL networks for free.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Leylah and Denis win in straights. Denis was really impressive against Tsitsipas whose backhand really let him down. Denis didn't have any meltdowns.

Reactions: Tuggy

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Dennis must have cranked it up for his match against Tsitsipas. This will boost his confidence and help to get him back on track! Felix was really outplayed in his match.
Just want to see more consistency from these guys!

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Felix needs to make a decision about his coaches. Outside of an occasional run in the fall months, he is losing way too often.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bublik had such an advantageous quarter but he didn't come close to getting past Arnaldi, who may now take advantageous of his good fortune. Wouldn't surprise me if Arnaldi got to the quarters.

I don't know if Denis' win over Tsitsipas is more of an indication that Shapo is getting back on track or just further evidence that Stefanos' best days seem to be over. Rublev may be starting that long slide, as well,

Reactions: MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I missed a lot of Denis' match today because I was watching curling, but I did notice he is much more subdued and controlled. No fist pumps and come ons, no tantrums when the going gets tough. I hope it continues.

He lost but I think this is a really positive step.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What is with Swiatek? I saw part of last night's match and she's down a set and a break now. She is hitting a ton of balls into the net.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Very good Musetti, since he became a father he seems much more focused and energetic. It's a shame that Alcaraz is now in his way. Shelton…well, it's Shelton.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I missed a lot of Denis' match today because I was watching curling, but I did notice he is much more subdued and controlled. No fist pumps and come ons, no tantrums when the going gets tough. I hope it continues.

He lost but I think this is a really positive step.
I agree! He must have been reading our comments and critiques on this thread ! ;)
Very few outbursts, shoulder shrugs and long stares at the box!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad