Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread iX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Where does Felix rank in terms of youngest Challenger winners? I can't imagine there's been too many to do it as a 16 year old.

I'd like to know this as well. I've been following him closely the past year and a half. Can't wait to see him enter the main tour. Next year, perhaps even by US open.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
In this week's edition of old-man tennis news, 34 year old Gulles Muller defeated 38 year old Ivo Karlovic in the s-Hertogenbosch Final where the combined age of the finalists was the oldest in 41 years. Muller is the rare tennis player who is peaking in his mid-30s (winning both career title this year and hitting his career high ranking just last month), or maybe this isn't so rare, who knows?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Why on earth is Rafa skipping a grass tune-up?
Maintenance reasons most likely. He's played a lot of tennis, ten tournaments, of which he has gone to the finals in seven. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

In this week's edition of old-man tennis news, 34 year old Gulles Muller defeated 38 year old Ivo Karlovic in the s-Hertogenbosch Final where the combined age of the finalists was the oldest in 41 years. Muller is the rare tennis player who is peaking in his mid-30s (winning both career title this year and hitting his career high ranking just last month), or maybe this isn't so rare, who knows?
The last time this happened must have involved Ken Rosewall, at a guess.

Muller played out of his mind in the second set yesterday, too. Not just pounding that swervey serve in, but making really difficult tennis shots, too. Thank god, he will be seeded because he is capable of wreaking havoc on a top player the way that he is playing at the moment.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Felix's rank is 231 this week a jump of 105 (Juan Monaco retired so he comes off the rankings list)

He's playing in a nother Challenger this week in Blois, France.

In fact it's a very busy week for Canadians in both Main ATP Tournaments and Challegners.

Raonic and Shapovalov are in Queen's London.

Pospisil qualified for Halle (and is currently in the 3rd set against Brown)

For Challengers all the ones on the week have Canadians except for one in Italy.

Peter Polansky is in Ilkley, Frank Dancevic returns from a long injury lay-off in Poprad-Tatry, Brayde Schnur is in Fergana and as stated above Felix Auger-Aliassime is in Blois.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
The last time this happened must have involved Ken Rosewall, at a guess.

Good guess. Last time was Hong Kong in 1977, when 42-year-old Ken Rosewall defeated 30-year-old Ilie Nastase.

Muller played out of his mind in the second set yesterday, too. Not just pounding that swervey serve in, but making really difficult tennis shots, too. Thank god, he will be seeded because he is capable of wreaking havoc on a top player the way that he is playing at the moment.

Some lazy writer on ESPN wrote that Muller "rolled back the years" which couldn't be further from the truth. :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Good guess. Last time was Hong Kong in 1977, when 42-year-old Ken Rosewall defeated 30-year-old Ilie Nastase.

Some lazy writer on ESPN wrote that Muller "rolled back the years" which couldn't be further from the truth. :laugh:
Ha, no kidding, had Muller rolled back the years, he would have been out in straight sets.

Kyrgios slips and may have re-injured his problematic hip. He withdrew against Young after the completion to the first set tie breaker. Not good news for all us Krygios fans (that is to say, me and my cat).

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Pospisil lost to Brown in 3 sets after fighting off 5 MPs in the 2nd set at 6-5*

Edmund and Shapovalov are on court in Queen's right now on TSN5 on serve at 3 all.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Shapovalov won the first set in a tie-breaker, but was then broken to love to start the 2nd. Shapovalov could not recover from the opening break, Edmund takes the set 6-4.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapovalov is fun to watch. He reminds me a little of a Golden Retriever puppy playing with a ball.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The kid wins. I was just thinking a couple of games ago that in a year he will be beating this guy, and then he beats the guy. What d'ya know?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
the definition of "marterer": one who kills a saint.

Anyway, Marterer is hanging (heh, heh) surprisingly tough against Thiem, 3-2 on serve.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem eventually grinds it out, 5 and 3, but that did not look like fun. His listless days are a worry. The guy needs to spend a month on Kauai or something.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
First set for Raonic...8 BPs, 4 return games with BPs, 5 points dropped on serve...loses in the tie-break. He could have easily won that set 6-1.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Auger-Aliassime back at it in the Blois CH. Won the first set 6-2 (didn't face a BP) and gets the break in the first game of the second set.

He's up against a WC Mina (ranked 315).

Watching and this guy has no answer for Felix.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Auger-Aliassime back at it in the Blois CH. Won the first set 6-2 (didn't face a BP) and gets the break in the first game of the second set.

He's up against a WC Mina (ranked 315).

Watching and this guy has no answer for Felix.

maybe I should watch that match instead...seems less frustrating :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad