Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread iX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
New career high for Shapovalov, he's up to 163 in the live rankings, but can still drop backa couple of spots depending on how the Challengers play out.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Another retirement for Nishikori, just another week for him I suppose :laugh:

Not sure the extent of the injury.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No one was having a better grass court season than Pouille, but he crashes out in three sets against veteran Florian Mayer. Now that the court is a little chewed up, Lucas was having a lot of trouble with the bounces. Exhibit "A" on why serve and volley tennis was invented, i.e., don't let the ball touch the grass anymore than you have to.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kvitova taking a badly off form Mladenovic to task, 6-4, 2-love. Similar games, if one just ignores the fact that Petra is stronger, faster and smarter than Kristina today.

Not all that unusual, Kvitova can't hold for the match, but she wins the ensuing second set tie breaker, 7-5.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger 3 and 4 over a stubborn Mayer. Fed played well, but hardly looked like a world beater. Maybe this will be the Wimbledon that nobody wins.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Roger 3 and 4 over a stubborn Mayer. Fed played well, but hardly looked like a world beater. Maybe this will be the Wimbledon that nobody wins.

Hard to think of a major field that was this wide open in a long time. Someone other than the big 4 winning would not be surprising at all. Maybe even a first time winner...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A. Zverev just played the point of the month, making about five incredible gets, one right after another to take a point he had no business winning.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alexander and Bauista Agut, who has played impeccable tennis so far (surprisingly, given his aversion to volleying, Roberto's best surface is grass), trade tie breakers and go to a third set.

Alexander, raising his level considerably, makes quick work of Roberto in the third set, 6-1. That was one terrific tennis match.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger or Rafa continue to **** up yet another "next" generation: Federer vaporizes Zverev 6-1, 6-3. I didn't see the match, but the stats are pretty telling. Roger lost a total of two first service points the entire match (26/28) and won close to double the points that Alexander did (58-33).

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Federer will now be seeded 3rd for Wimbledon.

Edit: Oh and I don't think it's been mentioned here but Shapovalov has been given a WC into Wimbledon.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The lumpish, thoroughly unprepossessing (big first serve, nothing else) Barty somehow hangs on to take the first set against Kvitova....blowing hot and cold and very hot, Kvitova takes the final two sets 3 and 2, winning the last four games in dominant fashion. Great tune up for her for Wimbledon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad