Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread iX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Coric gives Nadal a breadstick in the first set and Nadal gets a MTO.

Why is he even playing this tournament after Rio?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Coric gives Nadal a breadstick in the first set and Nadal gets a MTO.

Why is he even playing this tournament after Rio?

Silly planning by Nadal. He should have withdrawn. He played a ton in Rio and should have just trained for New York.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Raonic into the QFs, only seed to win today so far (Thiem has a w/o so not technically a win). There are guarenteed to be 3 seeds now in the QF, and at most 4.

There will be at least one seed in the semis, but that's all that's guaranteed.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
What was the reason for the MTO?

From Nadal:

He was sluggish and well off the mark on his shots Thursday and had a trainer visit between games to check his shoulder and elbow, which were feeling the effects of a lot of tennis at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and two days in Cincinnati's heat and humidity.

''Too tired,'' he said. ''Elbow, shoulder. Two and a half months without competing and especially without practicing, and to do what I did in the Olympics and come here - too much.''

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2016/08/dimitrov-upsets-2nd-seed-wawrinka-in-cincinnati/60035/

Gotta wonder how much more he plays in 2016. Wouldn't shock me if he crashes out of the USO and then takes some time off.

Also, I wonder about Djokovic going into the USO.

I really consider Murray the favorite at this point, but he's played a lot of tennis as well.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Rooting for Murray even more now that we've seen how hard he battled to win gold for his country (compared to Milos not even bothering to show up).

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Meh, Serena losing #1 with the bare bones schedule she played was to be expected eventually.

186 consecutive weeks at #1 will fall 3 weeks short of Steffi's 189, but it's inconsequential. Winning Slams is all that matters now, and once Serena gets to 25, wouldn't surprise me to see her retire on the spot. Especially if it's at the US Open next year.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Was the Canadian media upset with Raonic for not participating in Rio?
This is Canada you are talking about. From what I read, he was pretty much universally applauded for doing the only sensible thing. (Which reminds me, for some reason, of Peter Ustinov's great description of Toronto: "New York as run by the Swiss." Ustinove never knew Rob Ford obviously, but we are back to normal now.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Should correct myself, Steffi's record for consecutive weeks at #1 is 186. Serena is on 183.

Today, it looks like 11 matches in 14 days on 2 different continents took its toll on Angie. Just didn't have much of an answer for some great defensive baseline and attacking tennis from Pliskova. She also wasn't her usual excellent retrieving self and had some uncharacteristic errors coming off both wings.

Serena will, at worst, equal Steffi's consecutive weeks record as she's safe through the end of the US Open. Doesn't have anything to defend through the end of the year, but I'm assuming she'll take if off once again and Kerber or Muguruza will take the year end #1 ranking.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Should correct myself, Steffi's record for consecutive weeks at #1 is 186. Serena is on 183.

Today, it looks like 11 matches in 14 days on 2 different continents took its toll on Angie. Just didn't have much of an answer for some great defensive baseline and attacking tennis from Pliskova. She also wasn't her usual excellent retrieving self and had some uncharacteristic errors coming off both wings.

Serena will, at worst, equal Steffi's consecutive weeks record as she's safe through the end of the US Open. Doesn't have anything to defend through the end of the year, but I'm assuming she'll take if off once again and Kerber or Muguruza will take the year end #1 ranking.
I remember sweating out Roger getting to 300 weeks at #1. It was a surprisingly tense experience over too long a period of time, especially when one unexpected loss could spell curtains for his chances. Felt good when he finally got there, but I sympathize with your plight.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Finally watched Del Potro/Djokovic on CBC's vast archives of the Olympic games. What a great match. Juan Martin must have had 35 outright forehand winners in the two set match. Nole played very well in long stretches and it was still anybody's match to win until Del Potro went up 5-0 in the second set tie breaker. Crowd looked really into it as well.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
So looking at the ATP calendar, the "Asian Swing" has four Chinese cities and then there's Tokyo. Kuala Lumpur was cancelled this year and Bangkok was removed from the calendar last year. This sucks. The Chinese keep ruining things.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Raonic has pulled out of the Davis Cup due to the lingering effects of his cramping during the US Open. Colour me unimpressed.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Raonic has pulled out of the Davis Cup due to the lingering effects of his cramping during the US Open. Colour me unimpressed.

This is really odd. A bit of IV and he shouldn't be cramped anymore. Did he injure himself because of the cramping?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
This is really odd. A bit of IV and he shouldn't be cramped anymore. Did he injure himself because of the cramping?

He said he had to go for more tests, so I'm wondering if it's possible. It could also be that because of when the tests are scheduled he told Tennis Canada to not count on him, even if the test all come out fine.

The teams have to be named 10 days in advance so if his test are say...today, he may not have wanted to commit and then later pull due to the results of the tests.

I am slightly annoyed by this though only because Raonic said after ther US Open that he was going to play Davis Cup. He said the same thing after Wimbledon last year then pulled out because he was still dealing with lingering foot issues.

We all know he wants to play for Canada at the Davis Cup, but would it have been so hard for him to say "I'm not sure right now. I have to see what's going first?"

On the flip side though, it's possible he thought at that point he'd be fine, but a few days later was still having lingering issues with his cramping.

Either because he's pulled out his 'commitment to Canada' will be questioned, which is an absolute joke for people to do that. If the tests come back fine and he decides to play St. Petersburg (which he is currently scheduled for) I'm sure he'll come under even more scrutiny from those people.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He said he had to go for more tests, so I'm wondering if it's possible. It could also be that because of when the tests are scheduled he told Tennis Canada to not count on him, even if the test all come out fine.

The teams have to be named 10 days in advance so if his test are say...today, he may not have wanted to commit and then later pull due to the results of the tests.

I am slightly annoyed by this though only because Raonic said after ther US Open that he was going to play Davis Cup. He said the same thing after Wimbledon last year then pulled out because he was still dealing with lingering foot issues.

We all know he wants to play for Canada at the Davis Cup, but would it have been so hard for him to say "I'm not sure right now. I have to see what's going first?"

On the flip side though, it's possible he thought at that point he'd be fine, but a few days later was still having lingering issues with his cramping.

Either because he's pulled out his 'commitment to Canada' will be questioned, which is an absolute joke for people to do that. If the tests come back fine and he decides to play St. Petersburg (which he is currently scheduled for) I'm sure he'll come under even more scrutiny from those people.

If he was born in Canada people would never question this. Because he's an immigrant, even though he was 3, and because he resides in Monte Carlo, at least one person on his FB page was giving him **** about his commitment to Canada. The only thing that annoyed me was him taking Vasek as his doubles partner for the Olympics from Nestor, then bailing on the Olympics. I don't buy the Zika virus as the reason, I think it was the schedule. Rogers Cup would obviously be more important to him, especially in Toronto, and something had to give. It worked out for Nestor but I wonder if there are any bad feelings.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Too bad about Milos. Does anyone know what the match ups will be (on specific dates) for the Davis Cup in Halifax coming up?

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
If he was born in Canada people would never question this. Because he's an immigrant, even though he was 3, and because he resides in Monte Carlo, at least one person on his FB page was giving him **** about his commitment to Canada. The only thing that annoyed me was him taking Vasek as his doubles partner for the Olympics from Nestor, then bailing on the Olympics. I don't buy the Zika virus as the reason, I think it was the schedule. Rogers Cup would obviously be more important to him, especially in Toronto, and something had to give. It worked out for Nestor but I wonder if there are any bad feelings.

When it comes to taxes, I sure as hell don't blame him for choosing Monte Carlo over Canada. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad