OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Judas will be productive for atleast 2 more years, just enough to keep the media and the circus that is Toronto at bay. He will be 75-79 pts range as he always has been. This Judas on a good team finally is a myth. He had a 40 goal scorer, and a 85 point Center helping him pad his stats last season. And all he could do is 2 pts south of his career high 86 points, and he got outscored by a 20 year old that kid what's his name?

Traitor is going to age badly, trust me. He is not getting any faster and the NHL is only getting faster. He already looked slow last year. Who knows how he will look at 30? Let the expectations of 100 pts and 1,2,3 7 cups run wild in Leafs fans heads. They always set themselves for disappointment. The fall is glorious every spring. Traitor may put up numbers that are respectable next season, but his underlying numbers say he is a declining player that is reminiscent of Toews. We all saw this when it was crunch time to make the playoffs. At some point of the 77 million dollar man's contact Dumbass is going to be second guessed for signing Pajama boy.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Finally in his 9th season with the Islanders he had his running mate. Crosby Malkin / Toews Kane / Turncoat Barzal.
Finally he had another player that could really really play the game on another level . Finally all that happened to this team would not be based on how he played . He knew how much better than himself that Barzal was going to be . He knew Barzal did things already that he could never do on the ice . We were a non playoff team with him here and can finish the same way without him .

Let's play word scramble .
Convert these 2 words into 1. Save Rat. _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

LGI

Answer - Tavares

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My wildest fantasy is that his homecoming goes as well as Bobby Bonilla's and that he ends up snapping at a T Dot reporter "I'll show you Mississauga!".

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Won't say much about the actual spot in the standings will end up being for the Leafs, but I'm somehow feeling like the stats for Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri are going to be a bit like this:
- Matthews 41-26-67
- Tavares 29-37-66
- Kadri 25-23-48

Could be wrong...

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This much I know Traitor won't get near 20 mins a game in Toronto as he did on the Island. And when he goes into his scoreless streaks, it's going to be amusing watching the media get all over him. This is not the Island where he can hide away with less focus with his hot and cold production as the highest paid player in the NHL next season at 15.9M. If the teams struggles, and he struggles, the floodgates will open there. There is usually panic after one loss, lol, imagine a losing and scoreless streak...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So both fantasy leagues I'm in have reached out the normal welcome message to start the new season.

I have Tr91tor in both, and just posted a leaguewide message in both of them that he's on the trading block and I want him gone come October. Lots of offers coming in, I just want him off the roster. Should I message the guys who have Barzal and tell them I'll do a straight up 1 for 1? Not sure they would even say yes haha.

And yes, I do use my heart when managing fantasy leagues. That's why I rarely win, but it's still fun.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I wouldn't want to see Tavares injured for his decision I think that is just a few Islander fans frustrated and disgusted with the situation. I guess the question I would have for Leafs fans is if they now consider the Leafs, Tavare's team. Is he now the defacto franchise player for the Leafs? He's young enough and in his prime. Also does he embody the qualities and character as Captain material for the Leafs and what has he done to deserve that? Do you trust him? Would his teammates trust the words that come out of his mouth. We all know he inexplicably deserted the team that annointed him their franchise player for a frivolous pursuit, would you want him to be the face of your team given what you know about him now? For nine years he clearly faked his dedication and loyalty to the team that put him up on a pedestal. His mind apparently was always somewhere else. ( and how does someone actually do that? Most people outgrow their childhood fantasies and move on. How do you grow with a team and invest yourself in a team for 9 years and not develop a sense of loyalty to the only team you've known? That completely baffles me? Not that he left, but his complete disregard for loyalties. To be clear this was not a business decision for him, I would have respected that and understood that, but this was a decision based on a personal level that seems so superficial)
I know you guys hate a Leafs fan chiming in, but no, this is still Matthews' team.

Also, just want you guys to know that I feel for you, and I wasn't a huge fan of how JT made his announcement (would've liked to see a press conference before the Pajama Boy post). That being said, best of luck to the Islanders and here's to hoping Barzal makes you forget about Tavares. Also, I'm really looking forward to Feb 28th, I hope its a close checking game and I wouldn't even mind seeing JT get hit by Komarov. Good luck this season guys!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He was the 3rd best player on the Pens. Crosby won the CS 2x, he led the Pens to the cup. If the Leafs win the cup, Pajamas will have to be the 3rd best player, because he led the Isles to only mediocrity.

Kessel wasn't even the third best player on their PP!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One good thing PJB accomplished: inspiring the Maven to kinda come out of retirement.

The Maven is a legend when it comes to writing about hockey. He asked the questions that no one dared to for Pajamas leaving. And I think we all can conclude, the answers were pretty self serving. I don't blame the Islanders fans one bit for their feelings in this.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I think Tavares is going to have a monster season this year (close to 90 points IMO), but I think by year 3 of his contract his age will really start to show. He'll still be good, but he'll never live up to the remainder of that deal.

I'll be interested in seeing if PBJT still overstays the shit out of his shifts in OT.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I think Judas will be productive for atleast 2 more years, just enough to keep the media and the circus that is Toronto at bay. He will be 75-79 pts range as he always has been. This Judas on a good team finally is a myth. He had a 40 goal scorer, and a 85 point Center helping him pad his stats last season. And all he could do is 2 pts south of his career high 86 points, and he got outscored by a 20 year old that kid what's his name?

Traitor is going to age badly, trust me. He is not getting any faster and the NHL is only getting faster. He already looked slow last year. Who knows how he will look at 30? Let the expectations of 100 pts and 1,2,3 7 cups run wild in Leafs fans heads. They always set themselves for disappointment. The fall is glorious every spring. Traitor may put up numbers that are respectable next season, but his underlying numbers say he is a declining player that is reminiscent of Toews. We all saw this when it was crunch time to make the playoffs. At some point of the 77 million dollar man's contact Dumbass is going to be second guessed for signing Pajama boy.

Regarding last season, his lackluster play could have been attributed to being mentally and emotionally checked out/having one foot out the door. He played like shit for probably half the season, yet he still put up excellent numbers if you're just glancing his stat line - doesn't tell the whole story though.

I think he'll look rejuvenated in year 1 of his contract. The back half of that contract probably won't be great though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Regarding last season, his lackluster play could have been attributed to being mentally and emotionally checked out/having one foot out the door. He played like **** for probably half the season, yet he still put up excellent numbers if you're just glancing his stat line - doesn't tell the whole story though.

I think he'll look rejuvenated in year 1 of his contract. The back half of that contract probably won't be great though.

If Pajamas checked out on his teammates Poulin, he is unfit to be a true captain of the Isles. Simple as that. And it is no wonder to me why the Isles were so mediocre in the Tavares years. I speculated he was hurt in the 2nd half last year, but there was no injury disclosed. It may just be he checked out as you say, and if this is the case, it just makes him look far worse IMO.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Tavares is going to have a monster season this year (close to 90 points IMO), but I think by year 3 of his contract his age will really start to show. He'll still be good, but he'll never live up to the remainder of that deal.

I'll be interested in seeing if PBJT still overstays the **** out of his shifts in OT.

I think it depends on usage. Babcock's notorious for rolling balanced lines and for not letting players do their own thing. No offense to the Islanders, but the organization tended to let Tavares do whatever he wanted on the ice. Minute long shifts? No problem. Loaf back into the defensive zone? Cool. Stay out longer on the PP? Go for it. In Toronto, I can't see Babcock letting him do those things.

Could he have a career year? Yes, technically, it's possible, just like it's possible -- though not likely -- Toronto wins the Cup this year. But, as a whole, I'd say Tavares' production will be very similar to what he produced in New York.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I think it depends on usage. Babcock's notorious for rolling balanced lines and for not letting players do their own thing. No offense to the Islanders, but the organization tended to let Tavares do whatever he wanted on the ice. Minute long shifts? No problem. Loaf back into the defensive zone? Cool. Stay out longer on the PP? Go for it. In Toronto, I can't see Babcock letting him do those things.

Could he have a career year? Yes, technically, it's possible, just like it's possible -- though not likely -- Toronto wins the Cup this year. But, as a whole, I'd say Tavares' production will be very similar to what he produced in New York.

Imagine if Capuano or his bffl Doug Weight benched him for overstaying his shift or pulling an Ovechkin "controller disconnect"? The Islanders let him have the keys to the car from the moment he was drafted by the franchise's backup goalie-turned GM, and there was no turning back once he was ordained as The Messiah. At least now the Islanders command more respect from the top-down, but that's for another thread.

He's played well under Babcock on the international stage, but I'm intrigued to see if he can play just as well in a more structured environment over the course of a whole season. What I'm really dying to see is Tavares getting bench, and seeing how he responds to that. Season after season, he would overstay his shifts and cost the team goals and games, but one would think that Babcock wouldn't put up with that. I just wish our coaching staff had the stones to cut that shit out from the start.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
How do you guys see the Isles’ season shaping up post Tavares?

I’m reserving some optimism.

There could easily be a bigger gulf between the coaching of someone like Doug Weight and someone like Barry Trotz.

Same for game prep, preseason, practice, and the mental components along with it.

They may not score as much, but they’ll defend better.

I’ll worry about the draft next Spring.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

There could easily be a bigger gulf between the coaching of someone like Doug Weight and someone like Barry Trotz.

Same for game prep, preseason, practice, and the mental components along with it.

Kovar will score more points that tavares

Reactions: SteveH124

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Hey Quicklime, I would not take that imposter you replied to seriously.

His real feelings on Barzal and for posting on this board are pretty transparent.

Boy, the way a certain poster is describing Matt Barzal and how the Isles will forget about JT leaving, you’d think Barzal is the second coming of McDavid.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148956235/

Reactions: Quicklime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad