OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Some freaking ass clown Toronto troll liked a ton of my old posts in the Judas Pajamas thread and then makes a bet with me to not be salty. Haha. This is a new one. Setting a new low bar of pathetic, didn't think that was possible. :laugh:
Their fans are really awful. These idiots are basically helping to create an atmosphere on 2/28 where some Leafs fans who show up as decent people (like one of my best friends who is originally from Toronto, he was actually apologizing to me after everything went down because he knew just how hurt I was to be let down by a player I absolutely loved) with no intent to cause a problem are going to get jumped and hospitalized, and it will largely be due to assholes who feel the need to rub salt in the wound and egg people on.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Their fans are really awful. These idiots are basically helping to create an atmosphere on 2/28 where some Leafs fans who show up as decent people (like one of my best friends who is originally from Toronto, he was actually apologizing to me after everything went down because he knew just how hurt I was to be let down by a player I absolutely loved) with no intent to cause a problem are going to get jumped and hospitalized, and it will largely be due to *******s who feel the need to rub salt in the wound and egg people on.

Well the thing about it is, I'm surprised how cordial Islander fans are to Toronto fans to begin with. Let's not forget since the moment he landed in an Islander uniform the Toronto media and the fans have been trying to sabotage the Tavare's relationship with the Isles- since day one. Why is there no outrage over that? The fact that they are rubbing it in our faces only wants me to see more destruction on the ice come 02/28 and every meeting after that.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Well the thing about it is, I'm surprised how cordial Islander fans are to Toronto fans to begin with. Let's not forget since the moment he landed in an Islander uniform the Toronto media and the fans have been trying to sabotage the Tavare's relationship with the Isles- since day one. Why is there no outrage over that? The fact that they are rubbing it in our faces only wants me to see more destruction on the ice come 02/28 and every meeting after that.

How did Toronto media and Leaf fans sabotage their relationship?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
For starters you can go back to how when Burke couldn't bully Garth into giving him the pick how he had his various stooges in the T Dot media float the idea that John should refuse to play for the Isles and force his way to the Leafs.

THIS.

Nothing worse than when Veruca gets her “Lolly.”

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
reality is if he even wins 1 Cup with them it won't be marvelous to watch, even if it is in year 4 of his contract and he is putting up 60 points a season, if it is year 8 and no Cup and Tavares is on another team that will be marvelous, but even if he is riding on the backs of others and is almost an after thought I am sure if he is on the roster when they are getting 1 Cup that is all he and their fans care about

They won't win the cup with the way they are built right now. Too soft, and like it or not. Signing Traitor will present some cap issues with them still paying Kessel's contract for 4 more years. We will see after this year, can a team survive in the playoffs on smurf hockey. I am pretty confident as the roster stands right now, they will not. Pajamas has 1 maybe 2 more years of maybe his peak. Though I think we have already seen this. Brad Richards, Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry all started their decline at similar ages. And now are all regarded as having albatross contracts. Give it time, I can see the Isles fans look back at this summer, as a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Give it time, I can see the Isles fans look back at this summer, as a blessing in disguise.

I am now. It's scary to think we offered him 13 million. He's already 29 and thinking about giving a guy, who is probably only the 8th - 10th best center in the league McDavid money is a joke. I may be overrating Barzal after a year, but he has the skating skills and mental determination to be elite. I suspect we'll be offering him about the same contract soon.

Keeping Barzal's interest here is the team's number one priority, and we can do that by not being as bad as most think we'll be. His re-signing we'll be more crucial than Tavares. In a perfect world, he and Beau shine on the same line this year and we give them the C and A. Let them know this is their team to lead.

F* Tavares.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I am now. It's scary to think we offered him 13 million. He's already 29 and thinking about giving a guy, who is probably only the 8th - 10th best center in the league McDavid money is a joke. I may be overrating Barzal after a year, but he has the skating skills and mental determination to be elite. I suspect we'll be offering him about the same contract soon.

Keeping Barzal's interest here is the team's number one priority, and we can do that by not being as bad as most think we'll be. His re-signing we'll be more crucial than Tavares. In a perfect world, he and Beau shine on the same line this year and we give them the C and A. Let them know this is their team to lead.

F* Tavares.
29? The dude isn't even 28 yet.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

F* Tavares.

Pajamas will be 28 by the start of the 2018-19 season. He is going to be 29-30 very soon. It only made sense to sign him, if the Isles were 1-2 going to be contending for a Cup. I was never was comfortable in him as a long term signing. The latter years are going to be bad IMO. Just seen this happen too many times to know better. These type of signings have a way of biting teams later on. IE, Brad Richards, Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry, Shea Weber. Once they start sliding, teams can't get rid of them fast enough. For Pajamas he has a full non movement so that is that and he is not getting any faster in a league that is getting faster. I see him as a Kessel type of player without the skating on a team that has 2 players better. He's not going to lead a team to a cup, he will need help. 11M per for 7 years is a long time and it will come back to bite the Leafs and Dubass, it's only a matter of time.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Some freaking ass clown Toronto troll liked a ton of my old posts in the Judas Pajamas thread and then makes a bet with me to not be salty. Haha. This is a new one. Setting a new low bar of pathetic, didn't think that was possible. :laugh:

I was going to go back and "like" all your posts on the subject of Tavares for the laughs, but then I realized it would take more effort than the amusement I'd get out of it.

Reactions: PWJunior

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
They won't win the cup with the way they are built right now. Too soft, and like it or not. Signing Traitor will present some cap issues with them still paying Kessel's contract for 4 more years. We will see after this year, can a team survive in the playoffs on smurf hockey. I am pretty confident as the roster stands right now, they will not. Pajamas has 1 maybe 2 more years of maybe his peak. Though I think we have already seen this. Brad Richards, Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry all started their decline at similar ages. And now are all regarded as having albatross contracts. Give it time, I can see the Isles fans look back at this summer, as a blessing in disguise.
With those 3 guys you mentioned, they also have at least 1 cup, I think that goes a long way on a players motivation

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pajamas will be 28 by the start of the 2018-19 season. He is going to be 29-30 very soon. It only made sense to sign him, if the Isles were 1-2 going to be contending for a Cup. I was never was comfortable in him as a long term signing. The latter years are going to be bad IMO. Just seen this happen too many times to know better. These type of signings have a way of biting teams later on. IE, Brad Richards, Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry, Shea Weber. Once they start sliding, teams can't get rid of them fast enough. For Pajamas he has a full non movement so that is that and he is not getting any faster in a league that is getting faster. I see him as a Kessel type of player without the skating on a team that has 2 players better. He's not going to lead a team to a cup, he will need help. 11M per for 7 years is a long time and it will come back to bite the Leafs and Dubass, it's only a matter of time.

I got yelled at by Leaf fans for that very comparison in the bolded.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I went shopping for soccer cleats with my 12 year old recently. Based on how much advance research he did and how long it took him to decide, I'm a little worried he might have a case of Tavaritis. :shakehead

Reactions: SteveH124 and mm11

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC

F* Tavares.

I said it before July 1 and I'll say it again...I see no reason why Tavares can't play at the level he has been for at least the next 5 seasons. He'll be under alot more pressure and scrutiny by the Toronto media and city, and we'll see how that translates in his performance on and off the ice. But the guy isn't injury prone and trains very well in the offseason...I think he'll do fine for them over a better portion of the contract.

Now, on the other hand, there were times last season, where I looked at Barzal absolutely dominating and taking over the play and saw nothing near that same level in Tavares. I really questioned who our #1 center would be long term and Barzal was showing me way more on a consistent basis. But it was only a year, which isn't nearly enough time to really see how that played out...and there will be a question mark for sure this year, with Barzal being front and center and conceivably under more pressure. But tying up nearly $90M in Tavares for 8 seasons...I'm not gonna lie...it did make me uneasy.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
when i think about it it's seems like it could have been so easy for snow at the deadline ... here is 88 million on the table ... u signing or no ? not right now , ok peace ... as soon as the season starts i think we'll be fully over it ... but to have not received any asset for him .... damn

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
when i think about it it's seems like it could have been so easy for snow at the deadline ... here is 88 million on the table ... u signing or no ? not right now , ok peace ... as soon as the season starts i think we'll be fully over it ... but to have not received any asset for him .... damn

Yep...then see guys like Panarin and Karlsson at least be upfront about their intentions. All we have from Tavares is constant quotes suggesting he wants to stay, thankful he wasn't traded at the deadline, and hoping everything works out. On one hand, if he had any doubt in his mind, he should've made it clear to mgmt (assuming he didn't do that) and Isles mgmt probably should've pulled the trigger if he hadn't signed by a certain date. It was a gamble and the team lost, at the very least, some key assets acquired via trade.

I would be miserable if this happened and we had no Barzal and Snow was still running this trainwreck. Or Wang still owned the franchise, or the agreement with Barclays went south and we had nowhere else to go in NY area. Or our crop of prospects was so bare, we were forced to talk up Bergenheim or the first line potential of Robert Nilsson. I assume we'd also be shopping for this year's Mike Comrie...who "clearly has 1st line potential, he just needs the minutes and the motivation...a fresh start of sorts"...or however it was sold to us in 2008.

So in short...wow...things could be really bad right now with Traitor ditching us the way he did. It might take some additional time, but things are at least looking up.

Reactions: TommytheCat

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Not that I’m saying you should. But nothing is stopping you from editing your “liked posts” to include something to the effect of...

“Like this post if you consider yourself to be an ass clown!”

Reactions: PWJunior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad