OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's like watching the paint dry going shopping with my 11 year old boy sometimes
When he goes off on tangents I say "Focus" as calmly as I can, but I really want to scream it and freak out in the middle of the store.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I said it before July 1 and I'll say it again...I see no reason why Tavares can't play at the level he has been for at least the next 5 seasons. He'll be under alot more pressure and scrutiny by the Toronto media and city, and we'll see how that translates in his performance on and off the ice. But the guy isn't injury prone and trains very well in the offseason...I think he'll do fine for them over a better portion of the contract.

Now, on the other hand, there were times last season, where I looked at Barzal absolutely dominating and taking over the play and saw nothing near that same level in Tavares. I really questioned who our #1 center would be long term and Barzal was showing me way more on a consistent basis. But it was only a year, which isn't nearly enough time to really see how that played out...and there will be a question mark for sure this year, with Barzal being front and center and conceivably under more pressure. But tying up nearly $90M in Tavares for 8 seasons...I'm not gonna lie...it did make me uneasy.

The Isles were in a lose lose situation with that. They would be overpaying for a currently elite talent who would be past his prime by the time that contract ended. He would have netted a lot of points for the Isles but I don't think his impact would have been enough to make them a true Cup contender. With the presence of Barzal, Wahlstrom, Bellows, that will come much cheaper in the next 8 years, the Isles needed to save their pennies to fill the holes in their roster which is on defense and goaltending. They now have the money to spend on what they need and with the hot prospects coming up the pipe Tavare's services were expendable. The Leafs are in for a rude awakening when the impact of Tavares's contract impede's their ability to fill the obvious holes in their line-up. They are going for broke next year, but with that inexperienced line-up they may make it to the playoffs but they don't have the balance in their line-up to make much noise. They brought in a front line center that they didn't really need- only because he was a fan favorite, but more offense was NOT what they needed and they will end up paying dearly for that.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The Isles were in a lose lose situation with that. They would be overpaying for a currently elite talent who would be past his prime by the time that contract ended. He would have netted a lot of points for the Isles but I don't think his impact would have been enough to make them a true Cup contender. With the presence of Barzal, Wahlstrom, Bellows, that will come much cheaper in the next 8 years, the Isles needed to save their pennies to fill the holes in their roster which is on defense and goaltending. They now have the money to spend on what they need and with the hot prospects coming up the pipe Tavare's services were expendable. The Leafs are in for a rude awakening when the impact of Tavares's contract impede's their ability to fill the obvious holes in their line-up. They are going for broke next year, but with that inexperienced line-up they may make it to the playoffs but they don't have the balance in their line-up to make much noise. They brought in a front line center that they didn't really need- only because he was a fan favorite, but more offense was NOT what they needed and they will end up paying dearly for that.

You bring the popcorn and I’ll bring the beer.

Reactions: Rehabguy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
but, didn't Kessel lead the Pens to a cup?

He was the 3rd best player on the Pens. Crosby won the CS 2x, he led the Pens to the cup. If the Leafs win the cup, Pajamas will have to be the 3rd best player, because he led the Isles to only mediocrity.

As I tell my Isles friends here. It's a blessing that they can now turn the page on that era, where now a new Mgt team, and a new core of young exciting players are emerging.

Reactions: Olliemets

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
He was the 3rd best player on the Pens. Crosby won the CS 2x, he led the Pens to the cup. If the Leafs win the cup, Pajamas will have to be the 3rd best player, because he led the Isles to only mediocrity.

As I tell my Isles friends here. It's a blessing that they can now turn the page on that era, where now a new Mgt team, and a new core of young exciting players are emerging.

2016 Stanley Cup
Phil Kessel 24 Games 10 Goals 12 Assists 22 Points
Sid Crosby 24 Games 06 Goals 13 Assists 19 Points

bahahahahhaha @ the bolded

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
2016 Stanley Cup
Phil Kessel 24 Games 10 Goals 12 Assists 22 Points
Sid Crosby 24 Games 06 Goals 13 Assists 19 Points

bahahahahhaha @ the bolded

So in your opinion you believe that Phil Kessel not only led the Penguins to the Cup on the ice with his play, but also led them in other areas such as the locker room?

So in other words we have now learned that your opinion means nothing.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
You've bought him up 3 times today. So I will ask again. What does this have to do with the All Purpose Judas Traitor Thread?

You brought him up.
I was just confirming that you were comparing Stanley Cup Champion Phil “The Thrill” Kessel to Tavares.
You know the Kessel that led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup by leading his team in goals and points in the playoffs.

Just making sure it was that kessel when you said Tavares is a kessel like player and that leaf fans should be thankful of that comparison.

So the question is why are you so confused?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I got yelled at by Leaf fans for that very comparison in the bolded.

I am starting to get this. Kessel and Traitor are very similar as being the 3rd best players on a team if they are to win a Cup. We agree there. Neither will lead a team to the cup, but as supporting players they can help out. One thing that is vastly different though. Kessel's cap hit is 4.2 million dollars less thanks to the Leafs, than Judas is getting paid at 11M per.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

You brought him up.
I was just confirming that you were comparing Stanley Cup Champion Phil “The Thrill” Kessel to Tavares.
You know the Kessel that led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup by leading his team in goals and points in the playoffs.

Just making sure it was that kessel when you said Tavares is a kessel like player and that leaf fans should be thankful of that comparison.

So the question is why are you so confused?

Reading comprehension is clearly not your friend in this specific case. Kessel did not "lead" the Penguins anywhere. Despite the fact that he had more points he was not the presence that Crosby was inside and outside the locker room.

You bringing up just points when speaking about who "led" the Penguins to a Cup is hilarious. Tavares has never led a team to any sort of win though and he will not lead Toronto to anything if they do win a Cup.

Leading a team is not just leading them in points, Crosby led that team to the Cup that year on the back of Matt Murray's superb play. Judging by your standards whoever led the team in scoring led their team to the Cup win.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
but, didn't Kessel lead the Pens to a cup?

Not really the place for it since it's the Isles board, but leading a team in scoring doesn't mean a player "lead them to a Cup". Crosby was the better all around player, playing the tougher minutes, and only finished 3 points back. I mean, Ovechkin finished 5 points back of Kuznetsov this past playoffs and still won the Conn Smythe. Did Kuznetsov lead the Caps to the Cup?

People who still stick with this narrative that Kessel was the best player that playoff run are people who watched the boxscores and judge based solely on who they see at the top of the scoring list, ignoring other things that are required to win championships.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Not really the place for it since it's the Isles board, but leading a team in scoring doesn't mean a player "lead them to a Cup". Crosby was the better all around player, playing the tougher minutes, and only finished 3 points back. I mean, Ovechkin finished 5 points back of Kuznetsov this past playoffs and still won the Conn Smythe. Did Kuznetsov lead the Caps to the Cup?

People who still stick with this narrative that Kessel was the best player that playoff run are people who watched the boxscores and judge based solely on who they see at the top of the scoring list, ignoring other things that are required to win championships.

A Pens fan has to school a Leafs fan on the Islander board in a thread about Tavares.

Yup - that's about right.

PSA to all Leaf fans - its not necessary to correct everything on the internet. Go back to your board and leave us to commiserate in peace. You're making your whole fan base come off as arrogant f***s despite being nothing other than off season champions since there were only 6 teams in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
A Pens fan has to school a Leafs fan on the Islander board in a thread about Tavares.

Yup - that's about right.

PSA to all Leaf fans - its not necessary to correct everything on the internet. Go back to your circle jerk on your board and leave us to commiserate in peace. You're making your whole fan base come off as arrogant ****s despite being nothing other than off season champions since there were only 6 teams in the league.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, CHILDREN OF ALL AGES , LET ME INTRODUCE TO YOU THE WORLD NO ,SCRATCH THAT, THE UNIVERSE FAMOUS TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS AND THEIR FANS.

champions of nothing. So go get your shine box

LGI

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

But really deep down you have to admit Phil should've won the Conn Smyth just because he is the greatest man who ever lived. I want a reality show featuring him and Ovie living in the same house during the offseason, that would be gold!!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But really deep down you have to admit Phil should've won the Conn Smyth just because he is the greatest man who ever lived. I want a reality show featuring him and Ovie living in the same house during the offseason, that would be gold!!!

Can Bryz be there too?

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad