Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v9.0: IceHogs/Fuel/NCAA/Jr./Int'l - Too Many Cooks in Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Quinn Hughes maybe is the best skater in the draft ..and unlike so many of out top d-men prospects like Krys Mitchell and Jokiharhu he us a Left shot LD ..But he is only 5'10 175 ...we simply cannot ice a lineup filled with so many smallish den no matter how skilled they are ..you need a balance with some bigger stronger guys...

The 2nd point I would make is that none of Krys Mitchell or Hughes has a "special" point shot ability to beat goalies a lot from out there ..Jokiharhu nay be the best of then but even he is no Evan Bouchard or even Noah Dobson ...At some point we must get a guy who can beat goalies from the point with a big shot at a special frequency ..Also These 2 have the big size we require to push guts off pucks..So even though both are RD I an just leery if we drafted a mother shrimp like Hughes when we already have 3 actually bigger small skilled den in Krys Mitchell and Jokiharhu ..And we still have smallish Keith who cannot win strength battles with the oops and as his stick checks get worse with age he becomes pretty useless so ce he cannot fire and score from the oil too...

Hughes may be a good player but he brings some flaws that do not help us like the size issue and the nothing special on the point shot .. I also think he did not actually develop any more than he dominated in the Works Juniors ..He is fine in college with the bigger ice ...but in the NHL those big forwards will push him around and we already have 3 prospects coming who are not very big den ...so you show me a line up with 5 of 6 dmen all between 5'10 and 6'0 ...it just will not work.. Now IF you told me Hughes replaces Keith cause we could trade Keith...then I might pick Hughes ...but sorry I hope Stam does not go for another shrimp dman with our pick .. while Hughes has been in the 5-9 range on most lists at the start and at mid season ,I did see that Craig Button had moved him down to #12 on his rankings ...many GMsstill have him in their top ten...no doubt ...but I just do not think he is who we should target at #7 or #8 ...or #9 ...Yet know g that Stan and Kelley cannot resist skilled smallish PMD types it would not surprise me if they picked him..I just want something g different ..like a dmN with a great point to shot who beats goalies a lot with it ..a dman with enough size ND will gnesscto use it physically ..and a 2 -Way guy who also reads and reacts well defensively . AND so if Bouchard off the board before we pick at 7-9 then I would drFt Ehalstrom at #7 if still there and if he is gone before we pick then I would jump to Kotkaniemi who Button compares to Kopitar at the same Ge ...Renembe= 23 tens including gbefore he git drafted at #14 by L.A.and so if Kotkaniemi turnsbout ti be that and Stan passed on that in our already large stable upcoming smallish skilled PMD types ,then we should all scream ..."Not again!"...we just cannot be the smallest corps of dmen I the NHL ...and none of then anything special o the pint shot or can move anyone from I front of our net or with a strength battle. .We need some balance of days. .
The only thing that goes in Hughes favored if we target a dman is that he plays LD .. BUT maybe we can trade Krys for a LD prospect from a team short on RD prospects but loaded on the left side. .that makes more sense to me..Lucas Carlsson is another RD prospect in our system ...but still if Bouchard is there at #7-9 we cannot bypass him. But I think he goes at 5 or 6 just before or right after Boqvist (Boqvist isxNotger smallish great skating skilled offensively gifted dman..but he has that special point shot like Bouchard to beat gales from distance .. of course this is all not if we get a top 3 pick via lotto win.. Dahlin .at #1 of course (another RD but he has size) ...I would grab Zadina (special sbniper) at #2 ...great goal scorers with exceptional release and shot accuracy are hard to find.. And Svechnikov at #3 ...size some edge 200ft game ..skill ..Good in every aspect ...can score in variety of ways .. he is #3 in my books..
These are the clear top 3vif we win in a lotto draw to place 1 ,2oe 3...

i am impress with this write up and that i am agreeing with most of what you wrote.

good job.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Just popped in to see if any Hawks fans were paying attention. Kid is a great skater with a hard accurate wrist shot. Plays an aggressive game and makes some bad pinches. Good hitter and strong enough to direct opposing players to the corner boards. Sound defensively. Has been paired with 2018 draft Jared McIsaac since coming to Halifax. They make a very good pairing and each should put up well over 50 points each next year.
well he has achieved the close to the same amount of point as last yr and in fewer points.

he really going to have to impress the crap out of powers to be, b/c he is a small and lets get this right a rhd. he is going to need to separate himself from the others d-men that will being going to camp come next season.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I really couldn't care less what he does at camp as long as he helps Halifax win the Memorial Cup next year

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Tkachuk has not impressed me this tournament. He doesn't look engaged all the time and his skating isn't that strong. His brother is always engaged and in the action, Matthew seems to have less of a motor than his brother which is weird because I had heard the opposite.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Needs more speed for the pro game. I'm more skeptical.

I think Mitchell will return to Denver and be "the guy" for a year. Besides, there's only so much icetime to go around in Rockford.
Gilbert definitely needs to work on foot speed, but there is a lot to like there as another name added to the mix. anything can happen and who knows how he continues to impress, but he plays a strong game, and has potential to be a bottom pairing dman

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Quinn Hughes maybe is the best skater in the draft ..and unlike so many of out top d-men prospects like Krys Mitchell and Jokiharhu he us a Left shot LD ..But he is only 5'10 175 ...we simply cannot ice a lineup filled with so many smallish den no matter how skilled they are ..you need a balance with some bigger stronger guys...

The 2nd point I would make is that none of Krys Mitchell or Hughes has a "special" point shot ability to beat goalies a lot from out there ..Jokiharhu nay be the best of then but even he is no Evan Bouchard or even Noah Dobson ...At some point we must get a guy who can beat goalies from the point with a big shot at a special frequency ..Also These 2 have the big size we require to push guts off pucks..So even though both are RD I an just leery if we drafted a mother shrimp like Hughes when we already have 3 actually bigger small skilled den in Krys Mitchell and Jokiharhu ..And we still have smallish Keith who cannot win strength battles with the oops and as his stick checks get worse with age he becomes pretty useless so ce he cannot fire and score from the oil too...

Hughes may be a good player but he brings some flaws that do not help us like the size issue and the nothing special on the point shot .. I also think he did not actually develop any more than he dominated in the Works Juniors ..He is fine in college with the bigger ice ...but in the NHL those big forwards will push him around and we already have 3 prospects coming who are not very big den ...so you show me a line up with 5 of 6 dmen all between 5'10 and 6'0 ...it just will not work.. Now IF you told me Hughes replaces Keith cause we could trade Keith...then I might pick Hughes ...but sorry I hope Stam does not go for another shrimp dman with our pick .. while Hughes has been in the 5-9 range on most lists at the start and at mid season ,I did see that Craig Button had moved him down to #12 on his rankings ...many GMsstill have him in their top ten...no doubt ...but I just do not think he is who we should target at #7 or #8 ...or #9 ...Yet know g that Stan and Kelley cannot resist skilled smallish PMD types it would not surprise me if they picked him..I just want something g different ..like a dmN with a great point to shot who beats goalies a lot with it ..a dman with enough size ND will gnesscto use it physically ..and a 2 -Way guy who also reads and reacts well defensively . AND so if Bouchard off the board before we pick at 7-9 then I would drFt Ehalstrom at #7 if still there and if he is gone before we pick then I would jump to Kotkaniemi who Button compares to Kopitar at the same Ge ...Renembe= 23 tens including gbefore he git drafted at #14 by L.A.and so if Kotkaniemi turnsbout ti be that and Stan passed on that in our already large stable upcoming smallish skilled PMD types ,then we should all scream ..."Not again!"...we just cannot be the smallest corps of dmen I the NHL ...and none of then anything special o the pint shot or can move anyone from I front of our net or with a strength battle. .We need some balance of days. .
The only thing that goes in Hughes favored if we target a dman is that he plays LD .. BUT maybe we can trade Krys for a LD prospect from a team short on RD prospects but loaded on the left side. .that makes more sense to me..Lucas Carlsson is another RD prospect in our system ...but still if Bouchard is there at #7-9 we cannot bypass him. But I think he goes at 5 or 6 just before or right after Boqvist (Boqvist isxNotger smallish great skating skilled offensively gifted dman..but he has that special point shot like Bouchard to beat gales from distance .. of course this is all not if we get a top 3 pick via lotto win.. Dahlin .at #1 of course (another RD but he has size) ...I would grab Zadina (special sbniper) at #2 ...great goal scorers with exceptional release and shot accuracy are hard to find.. And Svechnikov at #3 ...size some edge 200ft game ..skill ..Good in every aspect ...can score in variety of ways .. he is #3 in my books..
These are the clear top 3vif we win in a lotto draw to place 1 ,2oe 3...

I am no way suggesting Hawks draft Q. Hughes... just observation.

I like Zadina/Wahlstrom... or the Bigger D guys too.

BTW- Krys is a LHD.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Tkachuk has not impressed me this tournament. He doesn't look engaged all the time and his skating isn't that strong. His brother is always engaged and in the action, Matthew seems to have less of a motor than his brother which is weird because I had heard the opposite.

I couldn't agree more...

Zadina/Wahlstrom/ or Taller D man with Shot would be my pick over this Kid.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I can't wait to see the Edje play with/against NHL'ers...

I thought he was "much better then The Hogs" he skated with Sat. nite.

Sikura- I know the boy can skate... I just need to see him - NOT be vulnerable/prone to the NHL head hunters... IF- he can effectively navigate away from that... KID has tons of skill and upside.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I keep thinking we will not get lucky enough to get a top 3 ..So we are more realistically looking at 6-10 ....probably 7-9 (even if we finish with the 7th pick we could probably get bumped down to 8 or9..I doubt 3 teams will come from behind us to win top 3 lotto picks..Not likely 2 would...So my hunch is we hold at 7 or 8 and if we finish at 8 get bumped back to 9..

SO REALISTICALLY 7-9 range for our pick.. Tkachuk seems to have list some steam as a comes us 4 or 5 ..maybe he drip to 8 or 9?I still would not take him.The next forwards I have ranked after Walston who would now likely be #6 conensus (so we will not get him) is Krsperi Kotkaniemi. ..Craig Button has him at #19 after a strong last part of the season and playoffs. .I'M hunch is to rank him ahead of Tkachuk now on the Target list for the Hawks. .Again if enough scouts downgrade Tkachuk who just did not score much in the last few weeks of play then Walston. Moves up in consensus and we is gone before #7 ...So my next target forward is Centre Krsperi Kotkaniemi who Button says reminds him. Of Kopitar at the same age.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If anyone thinks that Q Hughes would not help the Hawks due to size they are delusional.
No. I watched him multiple times this season and then obviously in the tournament and am always blown away by his talent. His skating is effortless and it helps him overcome his size deficiencies. He easily stripped and skated away from Greenway against BU. After I saw that I was convinced if we took him, I’d be happy.

Reactions: Blue Liner

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No. I watched him multiple times this season and then obviously in the tournament and am always blown away by his talent. His skating is effortless and it helps him overcome his size deficiencies. He easily stripped and skated away from Greenway against BU. After I saw that I was convinced if we took him, I’d be happy.

No?

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well, Denver is about to lose its top 3 guns.

Troy Terry has signed with Anaheim - expected to jump straight to the Ducks for the playoffs
Henrik Borgstrom expected to sign with Florida - same likelihood he sticks as Terry
Dylan Gambrell expected to sign as well for the Sharks - likely playoff player as well...

man I cant recall the last time 3 kids from 1 team all jumped in for teams in playoff runs right from the NCAA...

Ian Mitchell, sorry my friend, all your friends left, I think you need to follow suit and sign with the Hawks....thank you good sir. the incoming class isn't that great either until super star stud Ty Smilanic shows up in 2 years...total rebuild for Denver

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
well, Denver is about to lose its top 3 guns.

Troy Terry has signed with Anaheim - expected to jump straight to the Ducks for the playoffs
Henrik Borgstrom expected to sign with Florida - same likelihood he sticks as Terry
Dylan Gambrell expected to sign as well for the Sharks - likely playoff player as well...

man I cant recall the last time 3 kids from 1 team all jumped in for teams in playoff runs right from the NCAA...

Ian Mitchell, sorry my friend, all your friends left, I think you need to follow suit and sign with the Hawks....thank you good sir. the incoming class isn't that great either until super star stud Ty Smilanic shows up in 2 years...total rebuild for Denver

Denver has work to do but it will not be a total rebuild - there is still going to be a lot of talent on that roster.

I thought for sure Lukosevicous would leave - he is never going to look better on paper than he will right now. But it seems he may stay. DU also returns three highly skilled young players who were never really given the chance I thought they deserved to play top-six minutes, with Monty often deferring to more 'responsible' upperclassmen...

Finley is incredibly skilled and slippery. A Tyler Kelleher at UNH type. Kohen Olischefski will be bolting for a top UFA deal in a couple of seasons. Heikkenen will score his fair sure undoubtedly, and could also align himself for a contract...

They also add four highly touted offensive recruits in Cole Guttman, Brett Stapely, Brandon Budy and Mathias Petersson. If two of those players step up right away and one of Staub/O'Conner can give them ten goals the O will be fine - very different and by committee, but fine...

They'll have a vicious and relentless bottom six again next season - which is what this team really missed this year as opposed to last...

On D if Mitchell returns, along with Mendel they'll have a great top pair. Davies will take a big jump. They also add Slava Demin who will be an early to mid round draft pick this summer and two other well regarded defenseman. Eric Fehr took a big step this year and they'll need to count on him with Hillman leaving early (I don't get that, FYI. He is just OK. I don't see the need to rush him along at all)...

In net they'll have to consecutive top recruits competing for the job. They may start slow - and look entirely different - but they'll be solid to better (look at what UMD accomplished in a rebuilding year...). And Mitchell will be driving the bus, which will be great for him and the Hawks...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad