Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v9.0: IceHogs/Fuel/NCAA/Jr./Int'l - Too Many Cooks in Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I see where the ISS Tip 31 for January now has moved Isaac Lundestrom upto #11 ..the highest ranking I have see yet of any scouting service ...This makes Lundestrom the 2nd highest ranked C in the draft according to their ranking. Their top ranked Centre is Rasmus Kupari who ranked #9; overall. Again I think that is the highest I have seen him ranked and would make hom the only C in the top 10 if others view hom that high. .ISS has their 3rd best C at #12 in Joe Veleno ..Tgey seem to have soured on Jack McBain...the big C is only ranked at #28 on their list of top 31 but he has been higher...in thevteenscon several other lists ..So there will be differences of opinion
I am not sure why Kupari ranks so high..Theyy probably taken into consideration his birth date being so young and think he will blossom out more next season given a bigger role ..It's a guess .. I did not see mich from him playing for Finland at tge WJHC ..but he was the youngest player o the team and it usually is a 19 year old nor blather 18 year old tournament to shine ..so perhaps Kupari has upside ..but itbis no guarantee he will be the best C from this draft class.
My own rankings for the Centers in this draft had either Lundestrom or Jack McBain as my 2 top targets for the C position given that others who were listed as C/W seem to be projected as playing wingers...in tgat category of dual pisdibke pistions was Oliver Whalstrom and Vitaly Kravtsov ...Whalstrom is definite top 10...ISS has him upto #5 but he is in the 6-9 range on many other lists ...But ISS AND Sportsnet and other lists visually show his as a RW ...if he were projected to play C and if the Hawks were a lottery team and win one if the 3 top spits..then I would draft Filip Zadina but if he was off tge board then Whalstrom no matter if he was going to play RW not C as an NHL ER. ..But if the Hawks do not get a top 3 lottery win then draft only in the 8-19 range then I still think we need a C and would take either Lundestrom or McBain ...They may not be special enough to become 1C stars in the NHL but they should be very good 2C or 3C Centers with 200 ft games and goid compete levels ..

Looking at what we have in the pipeline ebour C position is not very deep ..Kayumov maybe .But obviously we need cavity more depth coming up and we need to start drafting more C talent off the consensus A list player from round 1 rather than wait till round 3 (we do not have a round 2 or round 4 this draft).

Again..if we do get a top 3 pick..sure take the BPA over position nerd and so take a Zadina or aWhalstom ..not sure LW Brady Tkachuk fits the Blackhawks style...want the skill of Zadina's great shot or Whalstom's overall skill-set ..but IF we do not get lucky with actor 3 pick..then likely in the teens ...whether early mid or later teens ,then I think we NEED to add Centres.
But I am anxious to see the Central Scouting Mid-term Rankings which should be out soon ..I want to see wherevthebline have Kupari Lundestrom amd Jesperi Kotkaniemi who is another C , ranked on their euro skaters list and the gaps between them.
One thing about Lundestrom...he seemed to work very well with Tim Soderlund when tgeynpjayedvon the same line..Their line was Sweden's best for 2 straight games in the preliminary rounds of the WJHC when they got to play together...They did not play together much for the Medal round games as their coach switched the lines...

I am also interested to see ifvothervranking orgs moved Lundestrom up as much as ISS did ...or not..
There is still hockey to play through the spring in thisc2ndvhalf .Still time to change the rankings forcacre-set final consensus ..As ofvnowcarcfar as centres go, I am still a bit leery if Kupari who itbisctruevmay not reveal his true potential till next season. .I am at least more certain that Lundestrom or McBain coukd be good Centres if not quite great Centers.But the deepest talent of this 2018 draft liescatcDman and wingers ..unfortunately for the Hawks where Centre is our biggest pipeline need ..Better we grab a C in the teens than our usual late 20s or end of round 1 pick when all the best C's ofvthe crop are already plucked off ..We have opportunity to get an A list first rounder C in the teens. .we need to draft a C in thay spot.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Corey Pronman released his top 50 prospects list for the Athletic today.

Jokiharju was listed at #36, Ian Mitchell at #40, and Dylan Sikura at #42.

Here's the excerpt he made for Sikura:
I normally would hesitate hard on pumping the tires on a 22-year-old college player whose major statistical seasons came after he turned 20, but Sikura is a player I’ve paid very close attention to in the last year. I’m not sure how high-end his offense will be in the NHL, but I do see a skilled player with at least the potential to be a top-six forward. He’s a good skater with impressive hands and has good offensive instincts, too. He drives play for Northeastern and, as of this writing, leads college hockey in points and shots per game. He’s not overly physical and not great defensively, but I see a well-rounded offensive threat who could score as a NHLer as soon as this spring.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Right handed Vince Dunn but better in his own zone. Or a smaller Pietrangaelo when he first came in the league. Smooth skating, good hands, extremely high hockey IQ.

Do you see the comparison to Jared Spurgeon? I read it somewhere.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I did think Spurgeon actually when I was trying to find a comparison but Mitchell has more size. I think they both rely on their IQ and extremely good instincts to excel.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I did think Spurgeon actually when I was trying to find a comparison but Mitchell has more size. I think they both rely on their IQ and extremely good instincts to excel.

I always wanted JS to play with Hammer when we got Oduya. I thought that pairing would be great.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think Ian Mitchell can have young Petro impact.. I’m not sure he’ll reach what petro is now though. The guy is my favorite D in the league

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
NHL-CHL Top Prospects Game goes tomorrow night ...I will watch it on Sportsnet hereby Canada. . OF COURSE I want to see Svechnikov and Zadina a ...in case Hawks win a lottery amd move up to pick #2 or #3 ..but more likely we will not win a lotto draw and stay with our original pistions. .I hope we can drop to at least #7 ..but if we are after #7 (take Oliver Whalstrom) ,then I got at look bat Barret Hayton or Akhil Thoma s if they pkay Centrein this game ..RIGHT now 8 wouldvrank Isaac Lundestrom ahead of them at tge C position ...but since he is a erupskateexand not in this game ,I need to sed both Hayton and Thomas again st this top competition abd see how they do on draws and other Centre aspects of play ..

Now s9mevhave said Brady Tkachuk (not I'm this game because he plays NCAA hockey ) can be an NHL centre..If our brass feels he cam they may grab him ahead of wingers Svechnikov or Zadina shoukd we win the C or 3 pick via lottery .We shall see.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
So I'm looking at Bob McKenzies picks 1-30. So if we were not to make the playoffs Bob seems to be looking at Merkley and Veleno to drop around 10-15 but they have some elite-potential. What do ya'll think?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
So I'm looking at Bob McKenzies picks 1-30. So if we were not to make the playoffs Bob seems to be looking at Merkley and Veleno to drop around 10-15 but they have some elite-potential. What do ya'll think?
i am looking at these mocks and i am gauging the 10-15 range as you. if Veleno keeps on developing, maybe, just maybe.... however in the 10-15 range, i am looking at the D-men falling there like Dobson, Wilde hell i would be extremely happy if Bouchard. but after that, i am kinda of lost till the 20 th and after pick.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
i am looking at these mocks and i am gauging the 10-15 range as you. if Veleno keeps on developing, maybe, just maybe.... however in the 10-15 range, i am looking at the D-men falling there like Dobson, Wilde hell i would be extremely happy if Bouchard. but after that, i am kinda of lost till the 20 th and after pick.
From the looks of it, Bouchard will be gone by 6-8th. At least HFB are very high on him.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
From the looks of it, Bouchard will be gone by 6-8th. At least HFB are very high on him.
the way i am looking at it is, the season is still young for these young prospects and some may come on strong..... move up the ladder unexpectedly. but yeah i in agreement. the 3 d-men i posted are really a surprise. those 3 are rhd and to me kinda remind me of a really young Seabs. Bouchard is better then the others, i really like Dobson.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Merkley is a wildcard. .McKenzie pointed out the elite offensive talent he has BUT let on that some teams may be leery about his attitude issues and could present challenges for coaches ..but thata team will take a chance on that talent and hope he matures .

He has a lot of improving to do defensively. ..but at worst you coukd turn him into a forward if his defending does not come around ..offensively he can be neserizxing carrying tge puckvaroundcthevo-zone with great speed and agility and puck handling ..you cannot take the puck from him as he seems to elude alk checking attempts ..So he can rag tge puck like nobody else in this toll he fonds an open man to dish to ...he can weave around and through traffic to get to the net himself then fire in net.He has SPECIAK abilities..but his defending is ugly I'm the +/- and unless that can improve you have a lot of concerns ...So it coukd be a boom.or bust pick ...Boom if his attitude and defending issues get fixed...bust if they persist. Offensively he is just as good if not better than Dahlin or Boqvist ....Defending and attitude issues cokd drop him from a top ten to the later teens ..

Saw Dobson at the Top Prospects Game also ...I heard call the hype on him..but I did not see anything spec special to suggest we pick him .if he still is on the board.

I have posted on our pipeline need of more Centres ...Barrett Hayton had 2 assists in the Top Prospects Game
.but he is nit very flashy ..Solid 2 way type ...skating style reminds me of Toews,but I do not think he has the talent for top ten material..Even though Bob McKenzie does put him as the top Centre prospect in this draft and does put him in the top ten ,he ranks lower in the mid teens on a lot of other lists including my own (I give him.#13...even with that I am not sure if he is ever going g to be more than a 3C at the Nhl level...my gut instint is to not take him if he still is on the board when we pick. .If Isac Lundestrom is still on the board ,I think we should draft him ..He is my top-ranking Centre (I rank him at #11 ) ...Neither he nor Hayton has the elite special quality to make them top ten talents in my opinion..but McKenzie has Lundestrom ranked way too low at #20 right after another Centre,Jesoeri Kotkaniemi at #19 ...In this regard McKenzie has Lundestrom much lower on his ranking than other ranking orgs ...most in tge 11-15 range .

Anyway..if we target a Centre I woukd go for Lundestrom or Kotkaniemi
not Hayton who is solid but a bit boring ..

Bob McKenzie did mention 1 winger tgat he felt coukd be a riser by the final ranking ...DOMINIK BOKK, the German winger ..Most lists have hom mid to late 20s or early 2nd Ro under ..but there is a lot of talent and upside to project . He probably should rank mid to late teens on potential .

But we just do not know what draft spot the Hawks will get ..will it be 15-18 if we have a good run and secure a playoff spot ..or will we just be in a lottery slot out of the playoffs wuth a chance to win a lotto draw and move up to any of the top 3 picks?

If we win top pick..well Dahlin of course..If we get #2 The debate is between SVECHNIKOV or ZADINA or TKACHUK...

It woukd be a tough choice
.all 3 are different styles and abilities ..

SVECHNIKOV is the best skater and 2 -way game ..all so size and compete level ..avery good package of talent ...Zadina has that SPECIAL elitle shot ...best sniper in the draft ..uncanny ability to beat goalies .The vine -timer..the wrister inbtrafgic to hit the twine ..that shot is electric.

Tkachuk...the family bloodlines...Power Forward..Plays to the net ..Toughness ,motor,2 way game ..a complete package ..

It would be a tough choice among g the 3 at #2 ..But considering the Hawks style of play and need for a sniper of elite ability. .I would take Filip Zadina over the it her 2 ..Elite snipers are hard to find. .Beating NHL go alues is tough.You need an elite shot ..Zadina has that very special thing the bother 2 do not...They have other ways to score than just their shot ..And they bring other things he does not . But when Zadina shoots .you go wow..the shot is ELITE SPECIAL ..he scored 2 goals in the Top Prospects Game and hit a post. I would not dare pass on a player with that kind of release and shot ability ...k
But winning a lotto to move up to 1 ,2 or 3 is a longshot for us should we miss the playoffs and pick 10-15...

If we really slide down to the finish,maybe we draft 7 or 8 ...that might give us a shot at wi ger Oliver Whalstrom who shoukd go off tge board there ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad