Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v9.0: IceHogs/Fuel/NCAA/Jr./Int'l - Too Many Cooks in Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well there could be 1 tough choice to bypass if we draft 11-15 ...but that prospect may move way up by the final draft ranking lists when alk is said and done...and I realize our priority cm should be Centers or scoring wingers given the depth of our pipeline is bin D ... and that if we did take a D it should be LD given again our good crop of young RD in the pipeline ..but still ..even though I said it is tough to pick a BPA from a set of likely close ly ranked prospects in thenmid-teend,I have cone around to believe the rankings so far fir RD Evan Bouchard as a potential pock in the teens on most lists is way too low ..He coukd be even a better pro than Dahlin. .different type of D-man ..but terrific all-round dman...better defender and more physical than Dahlia. ..Much better shot to beat goalies..I posted on him last season that I liked him a lot ..So if Dahlia is the next Erik Karlsson (version before his injury and this poor season in Ottawa...may never get back to what he was) ..then Bouchard coukd be the next Doughty ..only bigger and with a better shot...It coukd be hard to pass on a definite 1D projection and that shot from distance as well as his great defending abilities ..He shoukd get ranked as a a top 5 talent in this draft ..if he goes in the teens, thevteam taking him is getting an outright steal that late .. Even though our need is not RD , if there is such a clearer BPA on the board when we draft shoukd he still be there. .then I do not know what BPA means ..He is going to be a great pro in the NHL ..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I will take K'Andre Miller and run if I am picking in that 15-18 range. Big fan of this kid, sky is the limit here and a clear replacement for Seabrook in a few years..style and size wise.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Chad Krys has 18 points in 20 games this season. (5+13). Tied for first in points among all Hockey East defenceman. Haven't been able to watch him at all this season, and wasn't thrilled about the pick with what was on the board at the time, but it's a little insane that he couldn't make the WJC try out camp, let alone the team.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Chad Krys has 18 points in 20 games this season. (5+13). Tied for first in points among all Hockey East defenceman. Haven't been able to watch him at all this season, and wasn't thrilled about the pick with what was on the board at the time, but it's a little insane that he couldn't make the WJC try out camp, let alone the team.

I have seen little of him, as well, so can't say much. I know there are people who still don't think much of him so I don't know what the deal is there, but again, I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion to counteract that. I know points aren't everything but being a sophomore d-man at almost a PPG clip is pretty impressive.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Krys is great offensively. .but has a lot left to improve on defensively if he wants to play in the NHL...Probably main issue in team USA not putting him. On the U-20 team for the WJHC ..
Usually it is a 19 yr old tournament with a few 18 yr old sprinkled in..but USA chose draftveligible Quinn Hughes ...likely a mid teens in the 2918 Entry draft on the team as for some PMD offense over the more experienced and older Krys ...Shows tgey had more faith in Hughes defending with fewer mistakes than their trust in Krys not go goof up defensively. ..Remember Adam Clendenin was a big points producer in the NCAA too ...but had obvious defensive issues in trying to keeping an NHL spit let Ali e impact anything ...So just warning ...Krys has a long way to go to prove to me he can play in the NHL AA a smallish not physical dman that Stan likes nut ...still you gotta be good enough defensively top tp get Q tp give him any trust ...else he is just another Clendenin. ..Snuggerud another of this type with defensive improvements to.makebor else he too is marginal.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
DYLAN SIKURA failed to make the Cdn Olympic Men's Hockey Squad just announced today ...they looked at him in playing games at the Spengler Cup ..but as I repirtedvhevdidvnot impress me as any kind of difference -maker compared to the ex-NHLerscwho were on the Canadian squad for the Spengler Cup who are playing pro in Europe now..

To be fair. ..Canada looked at 4 college try-outs in total and none made the Q squad ..instead they chose Canadian ex-NHLerscwho playing in European Leagues including sone from tge KHL who did not play in the Spengler Cup as well as a few Canadian from m the AHL ....as I predicted...Sikura would have had to star and make a great impact in his Spengler Cup try-put for the Olympic team..but he looked a bit lost compared to the old NHL vets who now playy on various euro teams..

Maybe he has upside
.but right now the experienced pros are just better suited to compete for Canada at the Olympics...

This is to say that his 1.53 points a game in the NCAA this season may make him a star against that competition..but not yet against seasoned Europe competition he would face at the Olympics.

So ..this visa cautionary tale of tempura ng expectation. .Some College guys who can star their are still a long ways from.being impact-full pros?let alone NHL pros...Had he been a 1st rounder from an NHL draft the talent probably does make him more project able to impact immediately
.but Sikura was a mich later round pick..Not to say he cannot eventually use hisvskilksvto impact in the NHL...but just a caution how difficult it is for vague who never played pro hockey yet to compete with ex nhl older guys who have spent several years overseas playing Europe competition ...

So do not expect Sikura to match in tobthe Hawks lineup. .immediately getvsomevfeaturedctop 9n role and star right out of the gate. IF he could not star vs..washed up NHL vets now scrounging a living in Europe or the AHL..how much more difficult will it be to make the Hawks lineup ?Stan will promise hom a legit opportunity..but you have to bet hevwill needvtimebinte AHL to.learn to be an impact full pro here.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Or maybe he was injured and you should not read to much into it.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He played in the Spengler Cup games..Heals played last weekend for Northeastern
..so I doubt he is still in juice have had only 3 viewings of Sikura...Once last season in a game he played for Northeastern
.Scored a goal and had an assist. .BUT my impression was not elite speed...average..he has some goodcstick-handking abilities. SHOT is good ,but he ain't no Brock Boeser....not elite in skating ...average I would say. ...he does have good stick-handling moves but that of course is only college competition...I noted that defensively his lack of elite speed getting to back -check or to close on guys could be a problem at the higher level of pros. ...He has done good offensive zone instincts and passes well ... but I thought he would need to get bigger and stringer on the boards stuff and also work on his checking and speed.

I recall another vame last season where he got a Hatty ...3 different kinds of goals. .so finishing seems too level..good quick hands in tight at the bet and dele ability is very goid.

.this season...have not seen any Northeastern ganes he has played ..But I did see 1 Soengler Cup game he played .. To be fair to him,his equipment had not arrived on the pk an en over to Davis..so he had to borrow some gear..Maybe that threw him off.Also they used him at LW ..ehereas he had pkayed RW ALL last season in college ...Again t9 ve fair ..he had to change time zones to go oversea ls from Northeastern to Davis. .so that too is difficult and could have hampered his performance ..but he did play a prior Spengler Cup game tp the Championship Game I saw ...so he did not just get off the plane...do not know how long he had to adjust ..I think he was only in the last 2 games.....so he did nit get their from game 1 that Canada played. I the tournament if I am correct on this?

HOWEVER ...rrpirtibgbjustvfrom what I viewed I that final game,to me,he lookedv"off"..never in sync with his linemates. .unsure is how I wouldvdrscribebhisnpkay..He did not impose his alleged talent on the opposition which was a Czech team in 2nd place in the top Czech League ...He kept making wide circking motionsbin then o-zone on attack ..Gen just failed to impress ...me and obviously Canada 's Olympic Team brass who were grading everyone ..

Hecdidvgwtc1 a in the prior game Canada played ..still whatvhevshowedcin these contests was not enough to get him onto the squad forvthevseason Olympics.

So as I said..Maybe certain things put him "off" his top game ..it hapoens..but just saying he may not be the saviour "star" Stan is hyping .
I also still notvthecdlim frame ..he may have added weight since being drafted by us after 4 seasons at Northeastern ..but still gevlooksvslim slim..especially in the legs ...Tgeveuroprosvhe faced knocked him down easily ...how can he ladt against bigger stronger better NHL pros who will also easily knock him down to the

I do not want to bea downer..jus saying you all should temper expectations for him ..I doubt he can impact right from the gettgo like Boeser has for VAN ..CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM ! He will needs to prove the hype is justified.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
NHL Central Scouting should be out soon with Mid-term ranking lists which always has come out before the Top Prospects Game of CHL talent ..

I expect us to target Centres to stick our pipeline just as we targeted RD last draft ..Unless the bottom falls out, or we sneak into a wildcard then magically gel into some Cup Finalist nirvana,I think it is safe to project us drafting somewhere in the 8-16 range ...So no way we get the top 2 centers in the draft and maybe 1-2 more drafted before we pick ..Still ...we shoukd get our choice among perhaps 5 centers still on the board who will go either in the teens or 20s most likely ...Thus we must watch what they all do in the 2nd half and look at what the scouting orgs say by final rankings...

We should be looking at centres like Jack McBain,Barret Hayton , Isaac Lundestrom, Joe Veleno,PierreOlivier Groulx, Akhil Thomas,Rasmus Kupari and Jesperi Kotkaniemi ...potentially all these guys will be first rounders ...Maybe 1 or 2 drop to early 2nd if a run on other positions.. One intesting note...Vitaly Kravtsov is listed as a C by sone and as a RW by others ..Do not know which spot he okays for his Russian team..but if he is playing as a C, then he too should be watched force hat he does the rest of the season for a Center draft pick vondoeration..He could be a riser by final rankings.He might have the best potential of any of the players I listed above .

We do not have 2nd or 4th round picks. .

If we take a C with our first rounder, Stan probably takes the best player regardless of position with our 3rd rounder ...unless we target a goalie specifically there and do not wait to round 5 wherecwevhavec2 picks..If I had to guess,I think we take another forward in round 3 and then a goalie with 1cofvourc2 round 5 picks.But we all know Stan like sco sign free agent goalies instead of using too many picks on the longshot of a a drafted goalie actually becoming an impact starving the nhl ..It is 1 thing to take some goalie pick risks when you have extra picks..but since we only have 6 picks this draft we probably do not risk on a goalie unless it is because of 1 if our extra 5th rounders ..

So for round 3 ,thus is where Stan tries to get a steal pick like with Andrei Altybarmakyan last draft .

It coukd be another Russian RW ...if Yevgeni Tsaryuk is still available ...He is having a great season in the MHL ...outscoring other draft eligibles from that league .. But whike he was not on a lot of radars to start this season,he probably is getting a lot of attention now ..and so he coukd beva riser into the 2nd round by the end of the season ..so he coukd be off the board by our 3rd round pick slot.

I would likevthis see Stan acquire at least 1 more 4rd rounder (better if a 2nd. .but forvthecasset we trade to get an extra pick it probably will not be good enough to secure a 2nd rounder.
Now that we have Duclair..perhaps Jurco will be traded or 1 of the Rockford Dmen for a 3 rd rounder ...or Jurco + a Rockford dman for a 2nd rounder?

If Stan can get is another 2nd or 3rd ,then I shall add to the target list by the timeb9fvthevdraft.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Dylan Sikura
..after 1g2a in a Northeastern win Friday might, could only mister 1 point tonight in another win ,a 5-3 victory over Maine ..it was a goal .But here us tge rest of tge story ..Northeastern had 37 shots on goal ...Sikura has 12 of these ...12 shots on goal and only beat the goalie 1 tine?Typical Blackhawks Corsi master. .See if every Blackhawk took 12 shots and got them on goal..then we would score 18 goals and nobody beats is. ..Of course this coukd never be true because Keith no matter how many shots he takes,simply cannot beat a goalie ..Therefore either we get 11 more Dylan Sikura at forwards along with him to all take 12 shots eCh vp. Ing through with a success rate of 1 goal for every dozen shots on goal..plus get 5 of our 6 D to also fire a dozen each in net ...giving us 17 goals and only Keith )..who could tale 200 shot attempts to get 12 shots to actually get on net and still not score on the dozen shots ) would be goalless. SO this is how we can wi a every game ...every player simply produces a dozen shots on goal to tally a miserable shooting n
efficiency but we win due to Quantity of shots and set alk kinds of Corsi recode ..Because of course we are lousy in scoring efficiency ..Hawks launch 81 attempts to get only about half through on net..Meaning if we want to get everyone with a dozen shots on net (except Keith who has to get 10 times as may attempts to get a shot on net as anyone else )it means 12 forwards and 5D have to launch a total of 408 shot attempts in a game to produce 17 goals ..Then whatever Keith launches on top of that us not going g to get a goal even if he took 120 shot attempts himself just to get 12 shots on net ..but he would still not score....

The point of this ramble is that if you expect Sikura to be some kind of sniper with great efficiency ...not going to hapoen ..because Hawks usually pound 35-45 shots on goal to get 1 or 2 goals and there are only so many shot attempts we can muster Inca game ..Adding a Sikura is nit going to change that much..only would take shot attempts away from our other lousy shooters ...abd if Q puts him on with either line 1 or line 2 ..welk hen of course will defer to set up Toews or Kane for their own shot attempts which fail to often to finish ..And if Q instead only gives him 4th line duty ..he cannot generate even 6 shots a game playing with Wingels and Bouma ..and so ..do not expect a 2 shot 2 goal Saviour type like a Kucherov or Stamkos or Laine sniping talent .In other words ..he iis just like all the Hawks. ..it takes our guys 2 or 3 or 4 or more TIMES the number of shots on goal to beat a goalie than the "nornal" for the opps we play every game to beat a goalie on average.

To sum it up...Hawks lack real sniping stars ..and Sikura..if it takes 12 shots on goal to score,certainly is no sniper .

Still ..IF alk our guys comitted to 12 shots on goal a game (excepting no score Keith of course ... Then we could win games by a 17 to watevervscore score ! Hey even if it took alk our energy just for a shot attack like that ,
and we did not check a kick defensively .much,I guarantee that we would still win 17-12 games and the fans would be hapoy after 82 wins. Q would be appalled. .so you ain't seeing any of our player's ever get anywhere near 12 shots on goal . And when we play the Minn riope a dope-and -clog and block shots style ..well we would need 17 guys producing a total 204 shots on goal ..

PK. .kidding with all this..but still 22 shots on goal and only beat a goalie 1 time? THAT is pretty well within the range of most Hawks in our top nine ..Now of every 1 of our top 9 coukd get 12 shots on goal ..that should be a goal each ..so eve without NY dman scoring..that is 9 goals for the forwards at that rate of success ..So on nights we credit ToewsbirvKane with a goid effort cause they had 5 shots on net even if they did not score that game. Well there is your issue. They simply faikedvtongetbin 12 shots so that they could beat a goalie 1 tine.!
Get 9 forwards beating a goalie 1 time each even though it tool then a total of 108 shots on net to get the 9 goals..welk we would not really complain. .would we?

So the goal when Sikura arrives I'd to have him get at least 12 shots a game that he can score 82 goals ..and have 8 others in the top 9 forwards also do that so that they too averagecavgoal a game over 82 games ..Of course this seems totally unrealistic. SO INSTEAD LET US SETTLE for 6 shots a game from Sikura and that should produce a 41 goal season..If the in the top nine can just group average 3 shots each a game..then as a group they would get a bit over 20 goals each a season ...some would get more than 20 ..some less.than 20 but still thatbisc160 goals from 8 guys in the top ninecandcanither 41 from Sikura if he just gets 6 shots on net avgame ..But say we half Sikura's ability to get 6 shots a game against NHLERS. ..Maybe he too does only half that m.So we still need 27 shots on goal per game just from our top 9 to get 180 goals total from them per season . Broken down this way ..it would seem to be doable..

Put another way ..Maybe Sikura can get 3Cshots a game and get 20 goals as a top 9 for us ...but other guys must be as bad as that to get this from our top group..I assure you if he gets only 6 game and 41 goals hewill standout from the oak even with a 1 in 12 goals to shot on goal success rate..

But ...Probably he will only muster about 3 shots a game at most .so ...do not expect a Saviour .

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
If he becomes a 15-20G 45-55Pts player like a Mathieu Perrault or Erik Haula that's a huge win from a 6th Rd pick

He has 87Pts in his last 57GP... he's projecting as a 50-60 point talent

Last edited:
Reactions: migi

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I’m not going to quote hf50 because he never responds, but I will say this...if a Hawks player is getting 12 shots on goal in a game, I’m probably thinking he had a great game and in some way was dominating the puck. Typical of fiddy to find fault where likely there isn’t one.

Reactions: migi

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
In his midseason top 50, Pronman ranks Jokiharju #36, Mitchell #40, and Sikura #42.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad