Rumor: All Purpose Phil Kessel Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Zucker score more in Pittsburgh over the next three seasons than Kessel scores in Minnesota.
it's possible, but the way people talk around here it's as if Kessel was absolutely nothing before coming to Pittsburgh and will fall off the face of the Earth if he plays for literally anyone else.

Reactions: Trade

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I sure as hell hope that Fenton is talking to other teams about Zucker. I'm not saying that Kessel doesn't have value, but he's a guy who should go to a team that is in position to win now. That ain't the Wild.

I’m hoping Kessel still wants to compete and win and puts these talks to a grinding halt so I don’t have to worry about it

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Jack Johnson is not an NHL player. Minnesota would be nuts to take him in any deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Zucker score more in Pittsburgh over the next three seasons than Kessel scores in Minnesota.

I don't think this is unreasonable at all, but you also have to remember that producing more doesn't technically make one player better than another. A line driver who puts up 60 points with okay linemates isn't worse than a complementary player who puts up 65 points with elite linemates.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Neither is Rask.

Can you imagine if he went to Pittsburgh, got healthy, got in shape, had a full training camp, and reverted back to a 45-50 point center?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Can you imagine if he went to Pittsburgh, got healthy, got in shape, had a full training camp, and reverted back to a 45-50 point center?

I can imagine that but in no way is Jack Johnson ever going to have any hope of being a valuable bottom-2 defender. He is pure garbage.

Reactions: domaug and AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With Zucker putting up 40 goals. It would be amazing. You'd be able to open Russo's Twitter feed and point your phone at a pile of dry wood to get a campfire going.

I mean this just feels like the kind of deal where we’re clearly not going to get the best of the two guys we’re acquiring, while Pittsburgh actually might get the best out of at least one of the guys they’re getting.

It’s shortsighted. It feels like an L and it hasn’t even happened yet.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only way this makes sense to me if the Wild plan to market themselves as "team murica" like crazy or something.

Parise , Suter , Kessel and Johnson with Mike Modano randomly in a front office position .

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can imagine that but in no way is Jack Johnson ever going to have any hope of being a valuable bottom-2 defender. He is pure garbage.

Yeah that’s my point

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean this just feels like the kind of deal where we’re clearly not going to get the best of the two guys we’re acquiring, while Pittsburgh actually might get the best out of at least one of the guys they’re getting.

It’s shortsighted. It feels like an L and it hasn’t even happened yet.
I'd be fine with it, but I'm fully prepared for the optics to be awful.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only way this makes sense to me if the Wild plan to market themselves as "team murica" like crazy or something.

Parise , Suter , Kessel and Johnson with Mike Modano randomly in a front office position .

Fenton actually consulted with Modano during the season, and there was speculation that he might be brought in to fill some sort of hockey operations role.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My stance. Kessel for Zucker is fine. Would not be at all surprised if Zucker does well in PIT. Adding anything of consequence to Zucker would NOT be OK. My question is- why go after an aged Kessel? Does Fenton actually think that MN is poised to win?

Rask is crap. Johnson is crap. Paid about the same. Wild have Suter, Brodin, a serviceable Seeler(650K), and Hunt at LD. Where would Johnson play? Rask can at least play 4th line C.

Nino for Jack Johnson- what a great trade.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Hard to say simply because Kessel is still a wizard on the PP and I'm not sure if this trade happens that Zucker would be on the #1 unit here. Most likely Guentzel takes Kessel's spot on the top unit.

Can Zucker out produce Phil when Zucker is getting #2 pp unit time? Kinda doubt that. He'll be great at even strength with either Sid or Geno though.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My stance. Kessel for Zucker is fine. Would not be at all surprised if Zucker does well in PIT. Adding anything of consequence to Zucker would NOT be OK. My question is- why go after an aged Kessel? Does Fenton actually think that MN is poised to win?

Rask is crap. Johnson is crap. Paid about the same. Wild have Suter, Brodin, a serviceable Seeler(650K), and Hunt at LD. Where would Johnson play? Rask can at least play 4th line C.

Nino for Jack Johnson- what a great trade.

I presume Fenton thinks the center depth is

Staal-Koivu-Eriksson Ek/Kunin-Sturm

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Fenton actually consulted with Modano during the season, and there was speculation that he might be brought in to fill some sort of hockey operations role.

Modano in a hockey ops role is a match made in hell. That guy is incredibly dumb

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
if it's for Victor Rask, that's basically a forward version of Jack Johnson anyway so ehh, trading a bent nickel for a dime that's been cut in half

Johnson takes up one of 7 d spots. Rask would take up 1 of 13/14.

Of course either can be waived but I would rather have the forward plug than D as it is easier to hide. See Gaborik vs Phanuef

Reactions: Empoleon8771

serp

Jan 17, 2016

My as a Stars fan impression of Modano outside of that he was an amazing player is well not very good. He basically wanted to be treated like royalty by the Stars and just handed money for doing barely anything. Didn't even want to move back to Dallas for a potential front office position.

This strikes me more as a PR move than anything else.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker is actually not that good on the PP. He's best at stretching the ice 5v5 with his speed.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Modano in a hockey ops role is a match made in hell. That guy is incredibly dumb
My as a Stars fan impression of Modano outside of that he was an amazing player is well not very good. He basically wanted to be treated like royalty by the Stars and just handed money for doing barely anything. Didn't even want to move back to Dallas for a potential front office position.

This strikes me more as a PR move than anything else. I don't think Mo brings very much to a front office.

Yeah if I had a vote he wouldn’t be hired for it, but then if I had a vote there would be a lot of things that are different than they currently are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad