All-purpose Kessel thread (continues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's people like this that should have to face litigation. When people, "fans", go from attacking an athlete's performance to claiming he is illiterate, a freak, and a "gutless turd", there is a line that is crossed.

It's these kinds of people that end up attacking for player's wives, and throw up those tweets in hopes of having them published. It's pathetic that someone can't make a coherent argument based solely on an athlete's performance on the field of play, and resorts to stupid, unfounded personal accusations.

This fanbase is filled with people who disgust me with their actions and reactions to a sports team.

I too find this kind of posts disgusting and am surprised this kind of garbage is allowed. Would be cool if one of these days on of these "gutless" posters did face litigation, maybe that would put a stop to it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Lupul wasn't here yet to give him the boost he needed to get to a PPG level. Considering that his jump in production has been tied to his linemates - down to the game - there is more evidence that 1) The stronger defensive framework and 2) Lack of talented linemates contributed to him being a PPG player and 1) The lack of any defensive system and 2) The additino of Lupul/JVR lead to a significant boost in production, rather then some "playmaking ability" that just developed.

You're blending multiple results (Overall production, Playmaking Production(G vs.A)) with multiple factors (line-mates talent, linemates skillsets, development to time, and overall defensive system) and seriously believe you have evidence to support separate crosslinked conclusions that negate different factors?

Do you think that if Lupul was here to "boost Kessel to a ppg level" in his first season that he would have magically gone from 35-25 to 35-45 over the course of a summer? That Lupul is that much better of a "boost" than playing with Savard and one of Lucic, Wheeler, Ryder, or Kobasew ?(average about 23 goals that year)

Last edited:

silentbob37*

You're blending multiple results (Overall production, Playmaking Production(G vs.A)) with multiple factors (line-mates talent, linemates skillsets, development to time, and overall defensive system) and seriously believe you have evidence to support separate crosslinked conclusions that negate different factors?

No I'm looking at the whole picture, not just parts of it.

I've already proved that Kessel's PPG production has come and gone TO THE GAME with Lupul and JVR, he isn't a PPG player "on his own right" the way a Sundin (who scored at that pace playing with Hoglund and Mogilny) or a Tavares (who lost Okposo and still scored) etc... He is a player with a co-dependent relationship with Lupul/JVR - he gives their stats a boost, they give his stats a boost.

Now if you look at his time with Boston, in his 3rd year he was playing with probably the most talented linemate he has ever had but still didn't get to the PPG+ level of production he would later achieve. Given that he started to achieve it the day Lupul got here, its logical to assume it had more to do with complementry talent then his own. Therefore, what held him back with Sdavard? The defensive system that Boston enforced becomes a likely possibility.

Also, the Leafs have played 33 games since the coaching change and the stronger defensive system/game being implemened. Kessel has only 6 goals adn 13 in those 33 games, which would also indicate that system/style has an affect on his production.

silentbob37*

Do you think that if Lupul was here to "boost Kessel to a ppg level" in his first season that he would have magically gone from 35-25 to 35-45 over the course of a summer? That Lupul is that much better of a "boost" than playing with Savard and one of Lucic, Wheeler, Ryder, or Kobasew ?(average about 23 goals that year)

The combo of having that "boost" talent on his line along with the wide open system.......yes I think its very possible Kessel goes to 35/37 goals and 80+ points his first year here.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

I've already proved that Kessel's PPG production has come and gone TO THE GAME with Lupul and JVR, he isn't a PPG player "on his own right" the way a Sundin (who scored at that pace playing with Hoglund and Mogilny) or a Tavares (who lost Okposo and still scored) etc... He is a player with a co-dependent relationship with Lupul/JVR - he gives their stats a boost, they give his stats a boost.

Now if you look at his time with Boston, in his 3rd year he was playing with probably the most talented linemate he has ever had but still didn't get to the PPG+ level of production he would later achieve. Given that he started to achieve it the day Lupul got here, its logical to assume it had more to do with complementry talent then his own. Therefore, what held him back with Sdavard? The defensive system that Boston enforced becomes a likely possibility.

Also, the Leafs have played 33 games since the coaching change and the stronger defensive system/game being implemened. Kessel has only 6 goals adn 13 in those 33 games, which would also indicate that system/style has an affect on his production.

When the calendar turned this year, he wasn't producing much under Carlyle, either.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Is it that hard to assume that the difference could have been ohhhhh almost doubling his NHL experience while learning to produce without having Mark Savard feed him? That in his time away from a quality linemate hedeveloped and all he needed was another to drive him to new heights? Especially since others have firmly stated that Boston's defensive system didn't hold him back because he didn't actually play it. You can't have it both ways.

What's actually funny is that you're attacking the unimportant clause in my statement. Kessel did produce in Boston in a defensive system. His line did succeed. This whole discussion since has been centred on your irrational vendetta against the idea that Phil Kessel might not have plateau'd offensively at 22.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Link to your claim he wanted to shut down the season please?

The info was from Friedmans blog but can not be found any more. But I found another blog that reference him. Keep in mind it is a Bruins blog (even do Kessel was at the time still a bruin)

–Kessel wouldn’t play through a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder until teammates informed the young winger that fellow teammates were playing through much worse injuries.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...0/a-resolution-may-be-near-for-kessel-bruins/

And another blog written by Leaf-fans have a spin at it (of course trying to make Kessel out to be the good guy and blame every one else. Funny how Watters who gets a good kicking in this article for wanting Wilson canned, criticising Burke for his moves and calling out Kessel for not being a good enough athlete have been proven right. Kessel is still unfit for being an top athlete and lack the fight one desire in any top player, more so in top players, Wilson was later fired and has not gotten a new job and Burkes many moves did nothing to improve us and he is no longer a GM and I doubt he ever will be again).

The article also has a fun spin on Kessel being out of shape and this time blame it on him missing preseason training. It is funny because injured or not, Kessel dont care for the extra work out needed to be in top shape through out a season.

Anyway, what the article say is that Bostons management did not want to send him to surgery meaning Kessel wanted to.

Kessel, then with the Boston Bruins, tore his rotator cuff and labrum in March of 2009, but was not shut down by the Bruins because the organization felt he could be a big help in the playoffs, even if he wasn’t 100 percent.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2010/06/28/watters-sensationalism-proves-some-want-kessel-to-fail/

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The info was from Friedmans blog but can not be found any more. But I found another blog that reference him. Keep in mind it is a Bruins blog (even do Kessel was at the time still a bruin)

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...0/a-resolution-may-be-near-for-kessel-bruins/

And another blog written by Leaf-fans have a spin at it (of course trying to make Kessel out to be the good guy and blame every one else. Funny how Watters who gets a good kicking in this article for wanting Wilson canned, criticising Burke for his moves and calling out Kessel for not being a good enough athlete have been proven right. Kessel is still unfit for being an top athlete and lack the fight one desire in any top player, more so in top players, Wilson was later fired and has not gotten a new job and Burkes many moves did nothing to improve us and he is no longer a GM and I doubt he ever will be again).

The article also has a fun spin on Kessel being out of shape and this time blame it on him missing preseason training. It is funny because injured or not, Kessel dont care for the extra work out needed to be in top shape through out a season.

Anyway, what the article say is that Bostons management did not want to send him to surgery meaning Kessel wanted to.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2010/06/28/watters-sensationalism-proves-some-want-kessel-to-fail/

Fair enough, although you did omit the following from the the second article.

Kessel went on to play with a pretty severe injury in a cloak of silence, and even tacked on six goals in 11 playoff games.

So difficult to ascertain whether he's a whiner or he's a guy that plays through pain.

Two articles, two takes on the same time frame.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What speaks to me from those articles is what "more serious injuries" were the rest of the bruins dealing with? was that when Bergeron had a punctured lung? were the shoulder tears minor?

I've played with a dislocated shoulder and losing shoulder functionality destroys your ability to play hockey

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

So difficult to ascertain whether he's a whiner or he's a guy that plays through pain.

I have no idea if he is whiner now, then when still a bruin they perceived him as one and him wanting to sit out the rest of the season and miss the playoffs with an injury that even do it needed surgery was not bad enough to not play. Especially not when he had teammates playing with worse injuries. And him scoring 6 in 11 prove the that management made the right decision.

We did after all discuss the reasons for why Bruins did not fancy to commit to him long term and with top dollars.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Any player who regularly hits 80 games played a year plays through pain. Heaven forbid Kessel get credit for anything.

silentbob37*

You mean because Carlyle only lasted the first three games of January?

No evidence hte slide would have continued under Carlyle.

Is it that hard to assume that the difference could have been ohhhhh almost doubling his NHL experience while learning to produce without having Mark Savard feed him? That in his time away from a quality linemate hedeveloped and all he needed was another to drive him to new heights? Especially since others have firmly stated that Boston's defensive system didn't hold him back because he didn't actually play it. You can't have it both ways.

What's actually funny is that you're attacking the unimportant clause in my statement. Kessel did produce in Boston in a defensive system. His line did succeed. This whole discussion since has been centred on your irrational vendetta against the idea that Phil Kessel might not have plateau'd offensively at 22.

I would be willing to say that was a possibility IF in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 his PPG production didn't start and stop with Lupul coming in and out of hte line up. Kessel figuring it out "with age and experience" JUST as Lupul gets here, and then regressing the next year JUST when Lupul got hurt is pretty telling.

Kessel scored 36 goals playing with an amazing playmaker. He didn't get to a PPG level in Boston under that system and he didn't give Savard a boost by being on his wing. His big, full/complete offensive break out didn't really happen until he was away from that defensive system.

I didn't say he plateau'd at 22, I took issue with the statement that JVR and Lupul benefit from playing with Kessel while ignoring the obvious and clear benefit Kessel gets from playing with them. You can easily and I think correctly argue that JVR isn't a 30 goal, 60-70 point player without Kessel and that Lupul is not a PPG player without Kessel. But you can also correctly argue that Kessel is not a PPG player without Lupul and/or JVR on his line.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

I would be willing to say that was a possibility IF in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 his PPG production didn't start and stop with Lupul coming in and out of hte line up. Kessel figuring it out "with age and experience" JUST as Lupul gets here, and then regressing the next year JUST when Lupul got hurt is pretty telling.

Kessel scored 36 goals playing with an amazing playmaker. He didn't get to a PPG level in Boston under that system and he didn't give Savard a boost by being on his wing. His big, full/complete offensive break out didn't really happen until he was away from that defensive system.

I didn't say he plateau'd at 22, I took issue with the statement that JVR and Lupul benefit from playing with Kessel while ignoring the obvious and clear benefit Kessel gets from playing with them. You can easily and I think correctly argue that JVR isn't a 30 goal, 60-70 point player without Kessel and that Lupul is not a PPG player without Kessel. But you can also correctly argue that Kessel is not a PPG player without Lupul and/or JVR on his line.

They lost 12 of their last 14 last year while being comfortably in a playoff spot. Yeah bro there's a lot more evidence than you think.

Once again look how many assumptions you're running on. So we gotta assume that Kessel's offensive game hasn't evolved whatsoever since being 21, who his linemates would be if he wasn't playing with Lupul or JVR, and how he would sync with those imaginary linemates that aren't Lupul or JVR.

What we do know, however, is that he produced 214 points in 212 games with a 3rd line center and a 2nd line winger against team's top defenders night in and night out. How in any way can your assumption-based arguments trump these cold-hard facts in any fashion? There are simply way too many holes in your argument.

Your statement of Kessel being a 60-65 point player is still laughable. Again, who are we saddling Kessel with that he's a 60-65 point player? Textbook special pleading at its finest. You demand that we have to put him with worse linemates than a 2nd line winger and 3rd line center in order to make him a 60-65 point winger. Doesn't work like that buddy. Oh yeah, and EVERY LINE IN THE LEAGUE works like that too, good players make other good players better, this is such a shaky premise to base your argument on.

If you want, I can go to the main board and post a poll about what kind of player Kessel would be if he didn't play with Lupul or JVR, I mean that's most likely where we would get the most unbiased opinions.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

It's a team sport. Kind of obvious your numbers go up based on the talent you have to work with assuming the system doesn't change greatly. But really, you are saying he needs one of two 60 point players to be a point a game himself which means he only needs 1 second (albeit good) liner to be a top 5 goal scorer.

silentbob37*

They lost 12 of their last 14 last year while being comfortably in a playoff spot. Yeah bro there's a lot more evidence than you think.

Once again look how many assumptions you're running on. So we gotta assume that Kessel's offensive game hasn't evolved whatsoever since being 21, who his linemates would be if he wasn't playing with Lupul or JVR, and how he would sync with those imaginary linemates that aren't Lupul or JVR.

What we do know, however, is that he produced 214 points in 212 games with a 3rd line center and a 2nd line winger against team's top defenders night in and night out. How in any way can your assumption-based arguments trump these cold-hard facts in any fashion? There are simply way too many holes in your argument.

Your statement of Kessel being a 60-65 point player is still laughable. Again, who are we saddling Kessel with that he's a 60-65 point player? Textbook special pleading at its finest. You demand that we have to put him with worse linemates than a 2nd line winger and 3rd line center in order to make him a 60-65 point winger. Doesn't work like that buddy. Oh yeah, and EVERY LINE IN THE LEAGUE works like that too, good players make other good players better, this is such a shaky premise to base your argument on.

If you want, I can go to the main board and post a poll about what kind of player Kessel would be if he didn't play with Lupul or JVR, I mean that's most likely where we would get the most unbiased opinions.

I didn't mean the Leafs slide I mean Kessel's individual slide. He was pointless in 3 games, hardly in the middle of a huge slump.

And we know that without Lupul or JVR he has has produced like a 30 goal, 60 point player not a PPG player. Everything you keep trying to claim is undone by Kessel not being a PPG player UNTIL Lupul was traded here, and him falling back to a 60 point pace the next year when he got hurt.

We saddled Sundin with pretty mediocre players and he was still able to produce at a PPG rate. Tavares lost his best linemate and kept producing. Not every PPG player has great players they play with.

I don't really care what you do or what the general opinion of people who are probably ignorant of the facts that prove I'm right is.

It's a team sport. Kind of obvious your numbers go up based on the talent you have to work with assuming the system doesn't change greatly. But really, you are saying he needs one of two 60 point players to be a point a game himself which means he only needs 1 second (albeit good) liner to be a top 5 goal scorer.

Unless you are a top tier talent, again like Sundin, who produced a PPG playing Hoglund and Modin and Tucker and Mogilny.

This started when someone said that Lupul and JVR just feed of/get a boost from Kessel but didn't acknoweldge that the reverse is true as well. That without them (even with other 50-60 point players) Kessel isn't a PPG or 35+ goal producer.

I've always said Kessel is a good complementry talent. He is the guy you want playing with Crosby, he isn't Crosby. The problem the LEafs have the best they have is complementry players who are in co-dependent relationships with each other. Thats why the Leafs run so hot and cold. When 1 starts going everyoen else does and the team looks amazing, but when 1 starts lagging they all do and the team looks terrible. They need 2-3 guys like Sundin who are steady, consistent top tier players in their own right at the center of the thing to keep the engine going for 82 games.

And by saying Lupul and JVR feed off Kessel and NOT acknowledge that without them kessel isn't the 35+, PPG player he is with them it.....indicates that Kessel is one of those center piece players that can runt he engine, when he isn't. If we are going to bring that up as a criticism it should be against all 3, not just Lupul and JVR.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
I think I now know why coaches play JvR and Bozak on PK so much.

Because they already get lots of practice for it while playing with Phil anyways. :naughty:

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Too bad we didn't have a center that could elevate Kessel to his potential. The last year in Boston, he was on pace to score 42 goals and a + 23 (pro rate that, his + is closer to 30)

Ever since coming to the Leafs, his line mates have been dragging him down. Too bad we wasted 6 years of elite talent on a bunch of scrub line mates.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I didn't mean the Leafs slide I mean Kessel's individual slide. He was pointless in 3 games, hardly in the middle of a huge slump.

And we know that without Lupul or JVR he has has produced like a 30 goal, 60 point player not a PPG player. Everything you keep trying to claim is undone by Kessel not being a PPG player UNTIL Lupul was traded here, and him falling back to a 60 point pace the next year when he got hurt.

We saddled Sundin with pretty mediocre players and he was still able to produce at a PPG rate. Tavares lost his best linemate and kept producing. Not every PPG player has great players they play with.

I don't really care what you do or what the general opinion of people who are probably ignorant of the facts that prove I'm right is.

Unless you are a top tier talent, again like Sundin, who produced a PPG playing Hoglund and Modin and Tucker and Mogilny.

This started when someone said that Lupul and JVR just feed of/get a boost from Kessel but didn't acknoweldge that the reverse is true as well. That without them (even with other 50-60 point players) Kessel isn't a PPG or 35+ goal producer.

I've always said Kessel is a good complementry talent. He is the guy you want playing with Crosby, he isn't Crosby. The problem the LEafs have the best they have is complementry players who are in co-dependent relationships with each other. Thats why the Leafs run so hot and cold. When 1 starts going everyoen else does and the team looks amazing, but when 1 starts lagging they all do and the team looks terrible. They need 2-3 guys like Sundin who are steady, consistent top tier players in their own right at the center of the thing to keep the engine going for 82 games.

And by saying Lupul and JVR feed off Kessel and NOT acknowledge that without them kessel isn't the 35+, PPG player he is with them it.....indicates that Kessel is one of those center piece players that can runt he engine, when he isn't. If we are going to bring that up as a criticism it should be against all 3, not just Lupul and JVR.

Strangely I looked at Mat's career stats and they don't change much regardless of who he had to play with.

I agree Kessel a one man carry the team on your back kinda guy but how many truly are ?

It is difficult to say what Kessel's numbers would be like if he was playing with Smith and Kozun for a full year.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

It doesn't matter what Tavares/Sundin did. We're not talking about them. We're talking about Kessel. It doesn't matter what way you try and spin it, he produced 214 points in 212 games with a 2nd line winger and 3rd line center. He produced at a 60-65 point pace when he played with a career AHL'er and a 3rd line center in a sample size that's nowhere near as big as his best production, is that seriously your standard of judging players? Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Yet you seem so confident and cocky by posting stuff like "ignorant of the facts that prove I'm right is. " despite doing absolutely nothing to prove yourself right :laugh:

All evidence points to Kessel NOT being a "complementary piece." The way he's elevated other player's games to entirely new levels indicates that he's an extremely talented player. We happen to be missing other essential pieces like a #1D, #1C etc... If you need to have your argument rely on a premise like him playing with a 3rd line center and a career AHL'er it only reaks of an extreme bias. You can try twisting the stats and narrative all you want to try and suit your opinion, but the facts simply do not help your opinion whatsoever.

Again, why do we need to assume Kessel's linemates are worse than 2nd line winger and 3rd line center in order to conclude that he's a 60-65 point player? You have to understand this kind of special pleading has absolutely no place in any reasonable debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad