All-purpose Kessel thread (continues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Doesn't look like your recollection of him being benched that 09 playoffs is accurate from the TOI logs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
"Kessel can't be productive in a defensive system, he needs to cherry pick to score all his goals!"

proof that he could and did produce in a defensive system, as a 22 year old before adding the playmaking facet to his game

"Kessel didn't embrace the defensive system!"

:sarcasm: Moving goalposts?

Look, I don't really want Kessel on this team, I personally HATE the way he plays but some of you are acting like he's some sort of blight on the game. Newsflash, defensively inept scoring wingers have been helping teams win forever, they just have to be used properly.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Kessel is a gutless turd.

He's had his big payday and couldn't give a damn about how he is perceived. The fact that he is one of the most awkward, semi-literate-sounding freaks in existence only compounds the revulsion that he now elicits in many people.

He will never reach the scoring heights again that he has in the past.

He will likely finish out of the top 50 this season.

People with some observation skills called for the fat turd to be shipped out a few seasons ago. Now, he will bring the kind of return that his gutless performance rightfully dictates.

The ignorance, arrogance and invincible stupidity that insisted he be kept will be rewarded appropriately.

People with even an ounce of compassion should hope that a generational talent is not cursed with such a sad-sack organization run by ignorant buffoons who have a supreme talent for distilling failure into its purest essence.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
"Kessel can't be productive in a defensive system, he needs to cherry pick to score all his goals!"

proof that he could and did produce in a defensive system, as a 22 year old before adding the playmaking facet to his game

Look, I don't really want Kessel on this team, I personally HATE the way he plays but some of you are acting like he's some sort of blight on the game. Newsflash, defensively inept scoring wingers have been helping teams win forever, they just have to be used properly.

I dont understand what is so hard to get. Boston played a strict defensive system while Kessel was there. Kessel produced offensively but never adopted to their system, one of the main reasons he and the coach did not see eye to eye or why Chara and the other veterans tried to talk sense to him. It was not because he scored to many goals, it was that he left the others covering for him when he did so.

That is not the same as him adopting to their system and producing. He produced playing his own game, the only game he can play. He is uncoachable in that he only know one way to play the game and that is cherry picking for offensive rush chances. Some teams are ok with that, others not. If you check the standings the teams who coach that kind of behaviour out of their players are usually found at the top of the standings.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I dont understand what is so hard to get. Boston played a strict defensive system while Kessel was there. Kessel produced offensively but never adopted to their system, one of the main reasons he and the coach did not see eye to eye or why Chara and the other veterans tried to talk sense to him. It was not because he scored to many goals, it was that he left the others covering for him when he did so.

That is not the same as him adopting to their system and producing. He produced playing his own game, the only game he can play. He is uncoachable in that he only know one way to play the game and that is cherry picking for offensive rush chances. Some teams are ok with that, others not. If you check the standings the teams who coach that kind of behaviour out of their players are usually found at the top of the standings.

And it worked. Its hard to second guess a team that won the cup so soon after but his line scored a whole lot more than it got scored on. It was successful with what it was doing. He's An elite scoring winger. As long as those players pay lip service to the idea of team d you don't rein them in, you insulate them defensively and put them in the best position to help the team win. Chicago didn't try and break Kane, they stash him on the second line and let him do his thing, and they've had a lot more longevity than Boston. I get that there's a certain degree of buy in that teams need to be successful and cohesive, but there has to be leeway for stars to be stars.

I still want him gone, because we don't have the team structure to really make use of him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not understanding Eazy's point here. He played with 4 guys at any given time who did play the Bruins two way game, so his deficiencies were a lot less devastating than they have been here. Doesn't mean he was excelling in a defensive system and some kind of two way force.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not understanding Eazy's point here. He played with 4 guys at any given time who did play the Bruins two way game, so his deficiencies were a lot less devastating than they have been here. Doesn't mean he was excelling in a defensive system and some kind of two way force.
It means he was productive in a defensive system. Nobody claimed he was a two-way force.

Last edited:

CalgaryLeaf*

And it worked. Its hard to second guess a team that won the cup so soon after but his line scored a whole lot more than it got scored on. It was successful with what it was doing. He's An elite scoring winger. As long as those players pay lip service to the idea of team d you don't rein them in, you insulate them defensively and put them in the best position to help the team win. Chicago didn't try and break Kane, they stash him on the second line and let him do his thing, and they've had a lot more longevity than Boston. I get that there's a certain degree of buy in that teams need to be successful and cohesive, but there has to be leeway for stars to be stars.

I still want him gone, because we don't have the team structure to really make use of him.

Kane is nothing like Kessel..He actually plays both ends of the rink and isn't afraid of contact...The Kane comparisons are laughable.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kane is nothing like Kessel..He actually plays both ends of the rink and isn't afraid of contact...The Kane comparisons are laughable.

There's that" lip service" and 'some degree of buy in" I mentioned. Yeah he's marginally better defensively, because those elements are there. And still its just that, a marginal difference amplified by situation. I know it's hard when people write in full complex paragraphs instead of unjustified, disjointed thoughts strung together with ellipses- but still, try and read the the overall meaning. Don't just seize upon a detail you can attack.

Edit: Yes that ellipses bit may have been a little personal and I apologize, but you hit on two of my major pet peeves in written communication.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Where's the "whining" in the articles you reference?

Toronto is the best hockey city in the world, the fans are great and the Leafs are a first-class organization," said Kessel

"They just know their hockey here in Toronto. I want to be a part of it and be a part of this organization."

"Obviously there's going to be pressure, but I'm going to work as hard as I can and try to help get this team into the playoffs," said Kessel

"I never once asked to be traded," he said. "It became a mutual thing for both parties, it was time to move on."

"I'll probably get booed," said Kessel, who added with a shrug that it was just part of playing hockey.

"I think they went in a different direction," Kessel said of the Bruins. "In the end, it didn't work out. I never asked for a trade.

"I'm happy where I am and I'm getting more [playing] minutes, too."

There was also the injured shoulder, when Kessel wanted to shut down his season to fix his should and he whined a lot about it until the rest of the team told him there where guys with worse injuries playing through pain to finish the season.

Kessel isn't expected to play until November because of off-season shoulder surgery, but said his recovery has is on schedule.
"My shoulder is doing well," said the native of Madison, Wisc. "I started skating again about a week ago, and shooting the puck around, and it's been good. I'm going to check with the doctor (Sunday). It looks like a month or a month-and-a-half".

Link to your claim he wanted to shut down the season please?

Last edited:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Kessel after accepting a trade to the Sens:

B9qbhjsIQAA58Gs.jpg

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada

Yea but Kessels faults go FAR deeper then complete ineptness defensively. He is the softest player in the NHL, possibly the NHL's history. His Give A Poop Metre is also amongst the lowest in league history.

I can't stand watching the guy do what he does, I have a problem calling it hockey.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Let's not forget that when the Leafs were on their 11 game winning streak prior to the complete collapse he was complaining and asking for more ice time. He didn't care we had won 11 in a row doing what we were doing, the team success meant nothing to him.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Let's not forget that when the Leafs were on their 11 game winning streak prior to the complete collapse he was complaining and asking for more ice time. He didn't care we had won 11 in a row doing what we were doing, the team success meant nothing to him.

I don't remember this at all. Source?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Kessel is a gutless turd.

He's had his big payday and couldn't give a damn about how he is perceived. The fact that he is one of the most awkward, semi-literate-sounding freaks in existence only compounds the revulsion that he now elicits in many people.

He will never reach the scoring heights again that he has in the past.

He will likely finish out of the top 50 this season.

People with some observation skills called for the fat turd to be shipped out a few seasons ago. Now, he will bring the kind of return that his gutless performance rightfully dictates.

The ignorance, arrogance and invincible stupidity that insisted he be kept will be rewarded appropriately.

People with even an ounce of compassion should hope that a generational talent is not cursed with such a sad-sack organization run by ignorant buffoons who have a supreme talent for distilling failure into its purest essence.

It's people like this that should have to face litigation. When people, "fans", go from attacking an athlete's performance to claiming he is illiterate, a freak, and a "gutless turd", there is a line that is crossed.

It's these kinds of people that end up attacking for player's wives, and throw up those tweets in hopes of having them published. It's pathetic that someone can't make a coherent argument based solely on an athlete's performance on the field of play, and resorts to stupid, unfounded personal accusations.

This fanbase is filled with people who disgust me with their actions and reactions to a sports team.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yea but Kessels faults go FAR deeper then complete ineptness defensively. He is the softest player in the NHL, possibly the NHL's history. His Give A Poop Metre is also amongst the lowest in league history.

I can't stand watching the guy do what he does, I have a problem calling it hockey.

This actually burns me far more than the lack of defense. A good, well coached team could mask that. But his complete unwillingness to engage in corners or along the wall...

MajorityRules*

Wow the crap people make up to try and be relevant is amazing.

Well the good news is.....

7 MORE YEARS OF KESSEL!!!

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Kessel after accepting a trade to the Sens:

B9qbhjsIQAA58Gs.jpg

Where did you find that Kyle Wellwood pic?

"Its already started my dear good friend."
"Whats started, Mr Lahey?"
"The **** Blizzard. "

I think that accurately describes the leafs season, ode to TPB.

silentbob37*

Prove that it was 'before" he added the "playmaking" element to his game and its not that the defensive system he was forced into at that point limited his offensive production.

You're making a huge assumption there.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Prove that it was 'before" he added the "playmaking" element to his game and its not that the defensive system he was forced into at that point limited his offensive production.

You're making a huge assumption there.

His G to A ratio remained constant the following year even though he switched to a more offensive team.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
It's people like this that should have to face litigation. When people, "fans", go from attacking an athlete's performance to claiming he is illiterate, a freak, and a "gutless turd", there is a line that is crossed.

It's these kinds of people that end up attacking for player's wives, and throw up those tweets in hopes of having them published. It's pathetic that someone can't make a coherent argument based solely on an athlete's performance on the field of play, and resorts to stupid, unfounded personal accusations.

This fanbase is filled with people who disgust me with their actions and reactions to a sports team.

Yea as much as I dislike Kessel on our team and want him gone I have to agree that taking it to this personal of a level is uncalled for.

I will say though, in defence of "this fanbase" that every other fanbase is the same. It is not exclusive to "this fanbase".

silentbob37*

His G to A ratio remained constant the following year even though he switched to a more offensive team.

Lupul wasn't here yet to give him the boost he needed to get to a PPG level. Considering that his jump in production has been tied to his linemates - down to the game - there is more evidence that 1) The stronger defensive framework and 2) Lack of talented linemates contributed to him being a PPG player and 1) The lack of any defensive system and 2) The additino of Lupul/JVR lead to a significant boost in production, rather then some "playmaking ability" that just developed.

Yea as much as I dislike Kessel on our team and want him gone I have to agree that taking it to this personal of a level is uncalled for.

I will say though, in defence of "this fanbase" that every other fanbase is the same. It is not exclusive to "this fanbase".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad