Rumor: ALL PURPOSE JT MILLER THREAD - New Update - (Post #1123)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Miller's name has been in the rumor mill for too long to just be smoke and mirrors. What exactly is a fair deal in your eyes? He's going to get a 7 x 9-10.5 mil or a 8 x 8-9.5 mil with whatever team he signs with.

Everything you said is pretty run of the mill - players saying they want to say, being part of marketing efforts, etc. If Vancouver's main priority was to get him re-signed, they'd simply say Miller wasn't available to the media. It doesn't stop them from working out the right deal, but it does stop the media from making all these speculations.

The only time GMs allow a name to be thrown back into the rumor mill over and over again is to let every team know that he's more or less going to be traded to the highest bidder.
You must not know the Vancouver media and their relation to the Canucks that well. There's absolutely nothing that will stop the (vancouver) media from speculating. Anything that was done to stop them from speculating would lead immediately to more speculating.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Some posters here must be blinded by their hatred for the Canucks if they think a 99 point gritty, all situations (and capable of playing all forward positions) forward, in the middle of his prime, carrying a $2.6 mill cap hit (50% retained), will return spare parts. Some of the stupidest shit I’ve seen on here.
Spot on

Reactions: DekeyPete

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
-He’s probably nearing the end of his prime
- I’m not seeing offers with half retained, maybe I’m blind
- Not seeing a lot of “spare parts” offered tbh. Majority seem to be quite reasonable. 1st, B+ or A prospect and a young roster player with another small add.
- Your not considering his age or his massive extension probably coming. Both those factors will make fanbases tune down their offer cuz of risk or being unable to resign him after this year.
I’ll respond to your points in kind:

-depends on how long you think the average prime is. I think it’s reasonable to expect Miller to have 2-3 more seasons at PPG+ pace.
-I’ve seen plenty of offers with retention (maybe in the hundred other previous threads, though); in any event, management is expecting to retool for 1-2 years and not looking to contend next season, so retention is a very realistic possibility.
-as I explained in my last post, spare parts in the sense that they don’t include a blue chip asset (e.g. late 1st, B prospect, average roster player). I just responded to one of these posts on the last page.
-I understand his age/contract will impact his value. For a contender, you get a top 10 producing forward for a very low cap hit for another Cup run. For a team like Columbus that has a difficult time attracting prime talent, I’m sure his new contract would still be worth taking on if it means playoffs for the next 3-5 years.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
as I've said in the previous Miller thread,
Kakko/Kravtsov + Schneider/Lundkvist + 20231st

J.T. Miller comes back to NYR with no extension in place however. We'll figure that out next summer and I think it's the proper upgrade over either Strome or Copp. It's a risk but I think even after giving up some of these assets the team is still vastly more solidified than during this past run. This version of Miller fixes a ton of holes and instantly does to this Rangers team what Kadri did with COL.
For the Rangers there will be "THE TRADE" either this summer, deadline, or next summer. It will happen eventually and it's probably going to end up being for either Patty Kane or Miller

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

J.T. Miller comes back to NYR with no extension in place however. We'll figure that out next summer and I think it's the proper upgrade over either Strome or Copp. It's a risk but I think even after giving up some of these assets the team is still vastly more solidified than during this past run. This version of Miller fixes a ton of holes and instantly does to this Rangers team what Kadri did with COL.
For the Rangers there will be "THE TRADE" either this summer, deadline, or next summer. It will happen eventually and it's probably going to end up being for either Patty Kane or Miller

If the deal was Kakko/Kravtsov + Schneider + 2023 1st you'd have every reasonable Canucks fan on board. I think you would have to fight a few NYR fans though!

I'd do that with 50% retention, and an extension in place.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I don't think Schneider is as untouchable as a lot of NYR fans would believe. Not because I don't think he's going to be very, very good. But because of how long it takes for dmen to hit their stride and become major factors. K'Andre Miller is JUST starting to play at a level above "he's just kind of there and doesn't make many mistakes." From serviceable to a difference maker every shift. It's taken 4 years. The Rangers really don't have that kind of time to wait for Schneider to hit his potential, unfortunately.

Their window is with Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad, Shesterkin and Fox in their primes. 3-4 seasons from now, those first 3 you have to believe will start to decline pretty hard.

Love Schneider but I would absolutely move him for JT Miller. That's a dude that puts us over the top quite easily. We should've never let him go in the first place

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Only to fans I would think. Rangers could easily see themselves a JT Miller away from the SCF

Well no not really since the best offer for Miller the Rangers gave this season was

Chytil + Lundqvist + 1st

Maybe they value Miller more now that they saw their need for a top C after their playoff run, but i doubt they make Schneider available. If they did, Miller would be a Ranger tomorrow.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think the Caps will refuse to waste an Ovechkin year and with Backstrom being on LTIR they have the space and the need for Miller. Caps fans wont like it but its all about Ovi's last years and of course the chase for the record.
I'm just not sure if it would be a draft day trade which would mean the 20th overall is involved or if its a later in the summer trade and its for an extended Miller.

To Wash
Miller -extended
Dipietro

To Van
Connor Mcmichael
2023 1st round pick
Prospect not in their top 3 OR a future 2nd round pick

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think the Caps will refuse to waste an Ovechkin year and with Backstrom being on LTIR they have the space and the need for Miller. Caps fans wont like it but its all about Ovi's last years and of course the chase for the record.
I'm just not sure if it would be a draft day trade which would mean the 20th overall is involved or if its a later in the summer trade and its for an extended Miller.

To Wash
Miller -extended
Dipietro

To Van
Connor Mcmichael
2023 1st round pick
Prospect not in their top 3 OR a future 2nd round pick
Not enough IMO. Lorio and either their(wpg) 2nd or 1st this year would need to be there.

Connor McMichael
2023 1st
Lorio
2022 1st

Miller(50%)
DiPietro

They get a true 1c for Ovi this year and have cap space to add another high end piece to really go for it.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Not enough IMO. Lorio and either their(wpg) 2nd or 1st this year would need to be there.

Connor McMichael
2023 1st
Lorio
2022 1st

Miller(50%)
DiPietro

They get a true 1c for Ovi this year and have cap space to add another high end piece to really go for it.

thats essentially 3 first round picks for Miller.. thats too much coming from a Canuck fan. If he was 26 yrs old and under contract then for sure.

but 29 yrs old with 1 year left, he isnt going to get that kind of value.

If thats the price tag the Canucks have put on him then he isnt getting traded because nobody is going to pay that price. I'm happy with equivalent of 2 1st round picks ( if its a prospect they need to be trending up) and a prospect/2nd pick level.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
thats essentially 3 first round picks for Miller.. thats too much coming from a Canuck fan. If he was 26 yrs old and under contract then for sure.

but 29 yrs old with 1 year left, he isnt going to get that kind of value.

If thats the price tag the Canucks have put on him then he isnt getting traded because nobody is going to pay that price. I'm happy with equivalent of 2 1st round picks ( if its a prospect they need to be trending up) and a prospect/2nd pick level.
I disagree completely. Mantha is half the player Miller is and he got Vrana(easily a 1st+ in value) a 2021 1st and a 2022 2nd.

3 1sts for a full season of Miller is the base line IMO.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Probably involves a package of Necas + 1st? I’m not as high on Necas as most and would prefer a defencemen in the package, but this seems fair.

I like Necas.

I can see him being a 25G 45A on average right hand Centre in his prime years. Easy to forget that he is only 23 yrs old.

I'd do

Necas
2023 1st
2022 2nd

for JT Miller

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I disagree completely. Mantha is half the player Miller is and he got Vrana(easily a 1st+ in value) a 2021 1st and a 2022 2nd.

like i said if Miller was younger, much like Mantha was 25 yrs old when that trade happened.

Name me the last 29 yr old that returned 3 1st round pick value.

It doesnt happen, primarily because alot of times 29 yr old 99 point scoring players arent available but also because teams dont want to pay that kind of price for 1 player. The age makes teams pause.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I think Kakko, Schneider and a 1st is a very good offer and would be on board with that. You seem to be in the minority however as most Rangers fans don't want to part with Schneider (or feel that somehow Trouba will be moved out soon, which doesn't seem realistic imo).

Lundkvist we really don't need, and while I'd prefer Kakko to Kravtsov I'd take Kravtsov, Schneider and a 1st.

Reactions: AirGut

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Mantha was also under contract for 4 years at $5.7 million and was 4 years younger than Miller, while also playing on a much worse roster in Detroit and was almost PPG the season before the trade.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I think Kakko, Schneider and a 1st is a very good offer and would be on board with that. You seem to be in the minority however as most Rangers fans don't want to part with Schneider (or feel that somehow Trouba will be moved out soon, which doesn't seem realistic imo).

Lundkvist we really don't need, and while I'd prefer Kakko to Kravtsov I'd take Kravtsov, Schneider and a 1st.
It definitely would hurt to move Schneider as he's already being groomed as a Trouba replacement at such a young age but as someone else mentioned, by the time Trouba's contract is nearing it's end the prime window this NYR roster has will be completely gone. The best chance to win a championship is within these next 3 years, Shesterkin's contact length, so I really see Drury making at least one "blockbuster" deal.

Rangers also need to make a choice between Copp or Strome but I'm getting the gut feeling now that both will walk in place of a major upgrade and there really isn't anyone else out there besides J.T. that would slide into that 2C spot and be a huge boost. For VAN I actually think their front office would prefer Kravtsov over Kakko because of the Podkolzin connection and chemistry they had during that Russian WJC run. And after signing Kuzmenko they might want to take the risk of adding another young Russian into the cupboard.

Vancouver and New York make pretty solid trade partners within this situation in a realistic sense. I don't really see teams like WSH or especially CBJ being as willing to move on from younger pieces. I don't even think Washington has any assets that would really entice the Canucks apart from McMicheal. The Hurricanes and Rangers will prob get into a bidding war over J.T.

Reactions: Baberham Lincoln

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
like i said if Miller was younger, much like Mantha was 25 yrs old when that trade happened.

Name me the last 29 yr old that returned 3 1st round pick value.

It doesnt happen, primarily because alot of times 29 yr old 99 point scoring players arent available but also because teams dont want to pay that kind of price for 1 player. The age makes teams pause.
No team/GM would ever be dumb enough to say "Hey, that 99 point player is 29, he isn't worth as much as a 50pt 25 year old!". That's just plain silly. his age will make GM's pause at the idea of a 8 year extension, not wanting to go more than 5.

Maddogy

Oct 15, 2020
I don't think Schneider is as untouchable as a lot of NYR fans would believe. Not because I don't think he's going to be very, very good. But because of how long it takes for dmen to hit their stride and become major factors. K'Andre Miller is JUST starting to play at a level above "he's just kind of there and doesn't make many mistakes." From serviceable to a difference maker every shift. It's taken 4 years. The Rangers really don't have that kind of time to wait for Schneider to hit his potential, unfortunately.

Their window is with Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad, Shesterkin and Fox in their primes. 3-4 seasons from now, those first 3 you have to believe will start to decline pretty hard.

Love Schneider but I would absolutely move him for JT Miller. That's a dude that puts us over the top quite easily. We should've never let him go in the first place

J.T. Miller took a long time to mature as a player so I don't think Rangers trading him away was the wrong move.

I don't think Rangers will have the cap space to retain Miller long term for perhaps $8.5 M per year.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Mantha was also under contract for 4 years at $5.7 million and was 4 years younger than Miller, while also playing on a much worse roster in Detroit and was almost PPG the season before the trade.
so 3 years left at 5.7 for a guy who has seen several injuries and was scoring at a .5ppg clip is worth as much/more than a guy scoring well above a ppg clip and has proven to be extremely durable? he was also 26 at the time, he is turning 28 this off season and isn't much younger as JT Miller just turned 29 a few months ago. 2 1/2 years separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad