Rumor: ALL PURPOSE JT MILLER THREAD - New Update - (Post #1123)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I want him in Toronto. He could be a great fit on a line with Matthews and Marner. Leafs have to go for it NOW. I don’t think they care if he re-signs or not. But they probably don’t have the pieces that Vancouver may want, which is too bad.
It would have to be a trade where money goes out. Something like one year of Miller for two years of Nylander + a young D like Liljegren.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
career year for someone who will be a 30 yr old UFA.

all sales final sticker should be attached
Yup. Miller will go as a one year rental. So later first, good prospect, and young D.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
No? It's completely garbage.
This is a statement that just diminishes credibility. So I’ll only give 1 response.

A top line scoring winger who is 25, and a young top 4 RHD is the furthest thing from garbage. New Jersey will be hard pressed to acquire a player of higher caliber than Boeser (plus Marino lol) for 2nd overall.

Better off just keeping the pick if that’s your mentality (even though it’s reported that NJ absolutely wants to move the pick)

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Someone mentioned Nylander+ earlier; Im not a Nucks fan so don’t know about their situation well but that seems like a good base for a deal

Cuz the Nucks top 6 looks pretty solid, plus they got Hughes and Demko. Like it’s nothing to shake your head at. If they can replace Miller with another solid piece and make a couple other moves for their D in FA maybe they can be a great team next year.

Idk anything about their cap situation but they’ve got all their picks the next couple years besides a 2nd this year and a 7th next. Add some of those to move out contracts if needed.

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009
miller is a fit for a contender. most trade proposal of vancouver fans focus on high quality futures from rebuilding teams.

there's the disconnect.
What teams do you consider "contenders" that he'd be a good fit for? There's obviously going to be a spectrum. Everything is also cost relative at the end of the day.

If the contending team that's supposed to trade for Miller as a rental is dealing off their roster, the trade gets much harder for that team to make, especially if that team deals two young players off their roster. Now, Miller is no longer an immediate net positive gain because that team dealt away roster slots as well.

If the contending team is dealing prospects whom aren't roster players and picks, the trade becomes more tenable. Lots of factors here, but a lot of offers seem to neglect these types of circumstances. Also, simply because a team is playoff bound, doesn't mean they're a true contender or in "win now" mode. And also, some contending teams would find Miller as a "diminishing return gain". Who are the teams that strike all the boxes and you think it'd be worth it for them? And are they dealing young roster players away or pure futures?

bringbacktheblack604

Jun 1, 2022
Yup. Miller will go as a one year rental. So later first, good prospect, and young D.
Unless the Canes offered Slavin+ (obviously not gonna happen) I would much rather keep him.
Then clear cap in other ways, inquire about Zub using Garland as a chip (gotta give to get) and make a push in a pretty weak pacific, good chance the flames and Oilers lose a key player or two. If things go terribly then move him at the deadline or maybe this team continues what it started under Bruce and we have all season to re-sign him, he wants to win, we don't need him to takwe a hometown discount (would be nice) we have 38 million in cap space off the books and paying your superstars is never a bad thing and guys like Pearson, Myers, Poolman, Dickenson, can be moved or not brought back.

Vancouver despite what some seem to think have a very favorable cap structure after next season and with the cap expected to go as his 90+ in 3 years and Petey the only guy potentially becoming a 10 million+ dollar player and let's be honest if that happened it means he's become a 100 point player so no problem with that. Quinn and Demko are on fantastic long-term deals, Horvat should get 7.5×8 Brock 6-7, JT right now deserves to be our highest paid player and given his age 8-8.5 is exactly where he should land, he theoretically might get more as a ufa next summer but that's a huge risk for not a huge payoff and you got to think his people would steer him towards a guaranteed life changing deal opposed to possibly regressing or God forbid a career ending injury.

It's fun for us fans to speculate and create proposals but 9 times out of 10 star players usually stay put and in JT's case as far as we know he loves Vancouver he's respected by the young core who clearly look to him as a leader on and off the ice, the coach loves him and honestly if you go on nucks. com, 90% of the people there in a vacuum would trade any forward not named Petey before JT and that site has far more fans that actually support the team financially while HF is full of dudes that got banned from CDC and are Fairweather fans.

Reactions: Yannickg

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Unless the Canes offered Slavin+ (obviously not gonna happen) I would much rather keep him.
Then clear cap in other ways, inquire about Zub using Garland as a chip (gotta give to get) and make a push in a pretty weak pacific, good chance the flames and Oilers lose a key player or two. If things go terribly then move him at the deadline or maybe this team continues what it started under Bruce and we have all season to re-sign him, he wants to win, we don't need him to takwe a hometown discount (would be nice) we have 38 million in cap space off the books and paying your superstars is never a bad thing and guys like Pearson, Myers, Poolman, Dickenson, can be moved or not brought back.

Vancouver despite what some seem to think have a very favorable cap structure after next season and with the cap expected to go as his 90+ in 3 years and Petey the only guy potentially becoming a 10 million+ dollar player and let's be honest if that happened it means he's become a 100 point player so no problem with that. Quinn and Demko are on fantastic long-term deals, Horvat should get 7.5×8 Brock 6-7, JT right now deserves to be our highest paid player and given his age 8-8.5 is exactly where he should land, he theoretically might get more as a ufa next summer but that's a huge risk for not a huge payoff and you got to think his people would steer him towards a guaranteed life changing deal opposed to possibly regressing or God forbid a career ending injury.

It's fun for us fans to speculate and create proposals but 9 times out of 10 star players usually stay put and in JT's case as far as we know he loves Vancouver he's respected by the young core who clearly look to him as a leader on and off the ice, the coach loves him and honestly if you go on nucks. com, 90% of the people there in a vacuum would trade any forward not named Petey before JT and that site has far more fans that actually support the team financially while HF is full of dudes that got banned from CDC and are Fairweather fans.

Most of what you said makes me confused on why we are even in this situation in the first place. Nucks should be doing what they can to keep him. Unless it’s a disconnect on his side somehow I don’t get it

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
This is a statement that just diminishes credibility. So I’ll only give 1 response.

A top line scoring winger who is 25, and a young top 4 RHD is the furthest thing from garbage. New Jersey will be hard pressed to acquire a player of higher caliber than Boeser (plus Marino lol) for 2nd overall.

Better off just keeping the pick if that’s your mentality (even though it’s reported that NJ absolutely wants to move the pick)
I believe we’re better off keeping the pick as well. Too many players available in the top 5 that fit a direct need for us. NJ isn’t actively shopping the pick. The only statement that was made by GM Tom Fitzgerald since winning the 2nd OA pick in the lottery is that they’re going to make a list of players that they would be willing to trade the 2nd OA pick for. It’s probably a very small list of players that would be considered an overpayment.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I could see CBJ.

They have lots of pieces too.

I can't see nucks moving Miller in the West without a crazy overpayment.

I could see the Canucks trying to pry Kent Johnson out of Columbus. I think the Canucks were hoping he'd fall to them in the draft but can completely understand if Columbus isn't interested. Adam Boqvist is their only RD that would be of some interest but he and Hughes wouldn't be able to be paired together and I think that's a priority for the Canucks as well. A solid defensively minded partner for Hughes.

bringbacktheblack604

Jun 1, 2022
Most of what you said makes me confused on why we are even in this situation in the first place. Nucks should be doing what they can to keep him. Unless it’s a disconnect on his side somehow I don’t get it
Honestly I think it's mostly because when JR took over the team was in a really shitty place and combined with everything that makes JT appealing and the media's penchant for a good a juicy story things just snowballed.

But JR has always said the goal is to keep him and after the coaching change the stink of negatively has disappeared and both sides both want the same thing it's just got to be fair for both sides.

FWIW, he was used as a negotiating piece to help get Kuzmenko and a video geared towards selling season tickets basically made it look like JT was a reason to secure them which caused are local paper to question why they would market it in a way that featured him more than anyone else if there wasn't perhaps things were not being told.
I mean it could mean squat but JR has said over and over again that they aren't shopping him and unless a team blows them away or it's obvious the dollars don't work they have every intention of keeping him. JR is close to 80 and wants to win sooner than later.
Vancouver has a very passionate fanbase and a douchy media presence, combine those and shit gets out of hand quickly proof is the insane amount of threads being created but if one just listens and takes what both sides say at face value, there's a much better chance he stays but in the world we live in that's too boring of a story.

Reactions: Taluss

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What teams do you consider "contenders" that he'd be a good fit for? There's obviously going to be a spectrum. Everything is also cost relative at the end of the day.

If the contending team that's supposed to trade for Miller as a rental is dealing off their roster, the trade gets much harder for that team to make, especially if that team deals two young players off their roster. Now, Miller is no longer an immediate net positive gain because that team dealt away roster slots as well.

If the contending team is dealing prospects whom aren't roster players and picks, the trade becomes more tenable. Lots of factors here, but a lot of offers seem to neglect these types of circumstances. Also, simply because a team is playoff bound, doesn't mean they're a true contender or in "win now" mode. And also, some contending teams would find Miller as a "diminishing return gain". Who are the teams that strike all the boxes and you think it'd be worth it for them? And are they dealing young roster players away or pure futures?
i am devils fan. i don't care about miller. i am not interest in him and i definitely don't want to spend futures (like 2OA) on him.

Reactions: Fatass

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I could see the Canucks trying to pry Kent Johnson out of Columbus. I think the Canucks were hoping he'd fall to them in the draft but can completely understand if Columbus isn't interested. Adam Boqvist is their only RD that would be of some interest but he and Hughes wouldn't be able to be paired together and I think that's a priority for the Canucks as well. A solid defensively minded partner for Hughes.

I don't think CBJ move Johnson or Boqvist.

Something more like 6th overall and Ceulmans as a basis.

Reactions: Fatass

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
miller is a fit for a contender. most trade proposal of vancouver fans focus on high quality futures from rebuilding teams.

there's the disconnect.
Miller's primary value is as a productive asset to put a contender "over the top".

But—I think there is a secondary value that is independent of his productivity and is why some are connecting him to rebuilding teams. It has to do with this impression that Miller is a cultural tonic for a club. It seems that a lot of people associate him with the change in spirit that the Canucks had last year.

Pretty much, he is the sourdough starter to your freshly made dough.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

you respond to an avs fan.

the devils could use a top 6 wing and the devils could use a rhd. the fit of marino is hugely dependent on their plans with severson. severson was leading the team in toi for the last four seasons and got deployed like a 1d with plenty of es, pp and pk time. among certain fans he has a bad rep, but i don't think the management and coaches aren't happy with him. some of his worst gaffs came at the end of extended shifts. if the devils plan to extend severson i don't think marino fits. the team would be looking for a steady stay at home defender to stabilize smith and play a role on the pk. marino's cap hit and term would probably to costly for a limited role.

i am not a big fan of boeser and he comes without a contract. if he is seeking a contract close to his qualifying offer i wouldn't buy. the devils cap situation looks great today. but if they can resign bratt, the will only have one contract slot for a forward around 7m and they shouldn't waste on a player like boeser. he is luxury not a need.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
So Van adds to Miller?

Tough to say. Top 10 picks can be worth a lot... but this draft is kinda weak (imo). With Miller's cheap (albeit brief) contract the value is probably about right...? Perhaps other pieces are involved as well.

I haven't gone through the Jackets in their depth and what they are looking to add.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That's not exactly true. They said if the right deal presented itself and there was no shot at the playoffs they would listen but the goal had always been too try to get him signed at a fair deal for both sides.

He's come out and said he wants to be here and apparently was part of the pitch for Kuzmenko. There's also a report out of the local paper after the team just released a video for advertising purposes that revolved pretty much around JT, which as they pointed out would seem strange if the team were actively shopping him.

Miller's name has been in the rumor mill for too long to just be smoke and mirrors. What exactly is a fair deal in your eyes? He's going to get a 7 x 9-10.5 mil or a 8 x 8-9.5 mil with whatever team he signs with.

Everything you said is pretty run of the mill - players saying they want to say, being part of marketing efforts, etc. If Vancouver's main priority was to get him re-signed, they'd simply say Miller wasn't available to the media. It doesn't stop them from working out the right deal, but it does stop the media from making all these speculations.

The only time GMs allow a name to be thrown back into the rumor mill over and over again is to let every team know that he's more or less going to be traded to the highest bidder.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
6’1” 218 pound, 99 points, 172 hits, full time center this season who played in all situations.

Fans of other teams: “nah, don’t need unless you want this mediocre package”
It's not that teams "don't need", it's that many fear signing him. So unless you view Miller as the piece that gets you to a cup final, you could potentially be wasting assets. Now you can say that about any trade deadline piece, but typically those are not costing an arm and a leg. Miller will be 30 when the next contract kicks in - if he's looking for something around 9.5 over 7, that' a tough pill to swallow for teams that might not be able to afford that or want Miller for 7 years.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
This thread is for ALL JT MILLER POSTS/NEW THREADS for the current time period.
Due to the Constant Clutter, and Incredibly "passionate" Responses from all Fan-bases involved.
PLEASE POST ALL RUMORS, VALUES, TRADES, EVERYTHING JT MILLER in this thread.

PS - Tried to Merge Previous Threads, Had Multiple Errors, Started new Thread instead. ENJOY! (PS - Proposals are still completely fine as new threads, Cheers)
1655913213667.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad