Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I would say start out by getting lessons and avoid developing bad habits/muscle memory of a flawed swing. It will be much easier to build a good swing with an instructor if you don't have to battle an old swing. That said, some people are very athletic and can pick up a club and immediately have no issues hitting it well.

Well it's not that i've never played. I go out maybe 3-6 times a year every year with older friends who play maybe a dozen to two dozen times a year but no one about maybe a 15 handicap.

The way I put it is 1/4 shots I hit is good and every so often i'll birdie a Par 3.

Practicing a bit with the new clubs the only club I really struggle with is the 3 wood off the mat.

Aside from that it's things like aim, grip and stance I'm trying to tweek right now. I don't feel like my swing is a huge issue but I suppose you never know until you do a few lessons.

Jan 3, 2012
Well it's not that i've never played. I go out maybe 3-6 times a year every year with older friends who play maybe a dozen to two dozen times a year but no one about maybe a 15 handicap.

The way I put it is 1/4 shots I hit is good and every so often i'll birdie a Par 3.

Practicing a bit with the new clubs the only club I really struggle with is the 3 wood off the mat.

Aside from that it's things like aim, grip and stance I'm trying to tweek right now. I don't feel like my swing is a huge issue but I suppose you never know until you do a few lessons.

Ah, so you aren't completely new.

Yeah that makes sense.

Depends what you want out of golf. If you only play 3-6 times a year, maybe not worth the time and effort to get a coach and really put the arduous work in to improve at golf.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Ah, so you aren't completely new.

Yeah that makes sense.

Depends what you want out of golf. If you only play 3-6 times a year, maybe not worth the time and effort to get a coach and really put the arduous work in to improve at golf.

Well this year I want to get out more like 15-20 times.

I feel like I'll tweek as I go.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
This walkout is weird, I'm not even seeing what the issues holding up the deal for nine months are from either party.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its funny how people said a few years ago that Spieth could only putt. He's the best ball-striker in the world right now, but he's been a really average putter for over a year now.

Its nice that his ball-striking can be elite, but the poor putting is a problem.

Jan 3, 2012
Its funny how people said a few years ago that Spieth could only putt. He's the best ball-striker in the world right now, but he's been a really average putter for over a year now.

Its nice that his ball-striking can be elite, but the poor putting is a problem.

Do you have any stats because IIRC Spieth's "average" putting is still like 30-50th vs the entire tour.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you have any stats because IIRC Spieth's "average" putting is still like 30-50th vs the entire tour.

First so far this season in GIR. He missed 11 greens this whole tournament, didn't even finish top 15. 261st so far this season in putts per round. Looking like a continuation of last season.

And I fully agree with you that 40's range for putting isn't that bad if its in isolation, but when you are talking about the best putter in the world, its terrible. Should be top 10 in SG putting every season, probably top 5 every season.

Jan 3, 2012
First so far this season in GIR. He missed 11 greens this whole tournament, didn't even finish top 15. 261st so far this season in putts per round. Looking like a continuation of last season.

And I fully agree with you that 40's range for putting isn't that bad if its in isolation, but when you are talking about the best putter in the world, its terrible. Should be top 10 in SG putting every season, probably top 5 every season.

Yeah but you gotta concede that putting well is so hard to capture in a bottle. Anybody smacking the ball 325 on avg can do that day in and day out (although who knows if they hit the fairway) but putting is much more touch and go, and very subtle things can influence it. I think Spieth will get it back, but I don't think he will always be the nuts with his putter.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
On this day in 1916 the PGA was founded and made its debut later that year at the Siwanoy Country Club in Bronxville NY.

There is your history lesson for the day. You are welcome ;)

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
On the topic of teenage golfers from Asia, the EurAsian Cup was this weekend. It's mostly an irrelevant tournament since it's basically Team Europe's version of the President's Cup but this one featured an 18 year old from Thailand named Phachara Khongwatmai (he went 2-1 in the matches). He's 161st in the world and has been playing more on the European Tour lately so he is another guy to follow.

@Pavel Buchnevich, you follow amateur golf more closely than I do. Noah Goodwin is still the highest potential "next guy" from the USA, right? He's 17 so he should theoretically be starting to get invites to some smaller tournaments soon ( maybe the Byron Nelson, Spieth played in that one as a 16 year old).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Khongwatmai has done really well. I'm always a little skeptical though of these players from Asia. It seems like very few of them actually materialize. We'll see about Im and Khongwatmai.

Goodwin's up to #10 in the amateur rankings, which for a player who has yet to enter college events and get into pro events, is really good. You pretty much can't be higher than that without playing in bigger events. He's been #1 in the junior rankings for a few years now. He's actually starting college this semester, which is a semester early, he'd normally be starting in August. He advanced his schooling enough to graduate high school and start this semester, so we should see how he stacks up rather immediately against Thornberry, Gim, Morikwa, etc. He's qualified for the US Open in June, but I agree he should definitely get some exemptions into PGA Tour events, especially his two hometown events.

Jan 3, 2012
As much as I loathe him, I do want to see a healthy and competitive Rory.

Just it looks like DJ may run away as the best of the next five years if the competition doesn't stay sharp.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Decent round from Rory.

How much of it did you watch @Soliloquy of a Dogge?
0 seconds lol. Followed along with his round on Twitter a bit though and it sounded somewhat encouraging. I will have to catch a highlight roundup.

I really suck when it comes to watching sports at the moment and it's annoying me. After missing so much golf and tennis last year, I wanted to plop my ass in front of a TV this year and watch it all but it's not really working out that way so far. I've watched 0 seconds of the Aussie Open too :( ... and I may miss all of Tiger next week at Torrey /sadface.gif

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad