Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2012
Its horrible though because its the PGA. That course should host nothing but US Opens. It'll be ruined hosting PGA's. I read they were offered the 2027 US Open, but they couldn't come to an agreement, probably money. Olympic is probably the most picturesque US Open venue there is, not going to be as good with the PGA logo.

Very fair point. It can play like a US Open scoring wise. I am happy to see it get another major regardless.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rose probably secured his spot in the Hall of Fame the last two weeks. If not, he has another 5-8 years where he can be real competitive left, so he has time if he needs it, but he's going to likely get in.

It'll be interesting to see if they let Westwood in. They let Monty in with a very similar career, he had a few more wins than Westwood, but a worse major career. I'd give the edge to Westwood, but I don't think either should've gotten in. Either way, we are looking at a 16 or 23 year age gap between English golfers getting in from Faldo to Westwood or Rose, which is pretty astonishing for a country who produces as many good golfers as England. Its actually looking like there might be a similar age gap to the next generation of English golfers, definitely 10+ years, at least. There's actually a chance Paul Casey who's older than Rose gets in with a 3-4 year stretch the upcoming years of like 5 wins including a major could get in, but other than that, the next relevant names are Hatton, Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick. Could Willett get back on track? He already has the major, one win the next ten years might get him in, but that could be asking too much of him.

This upcoming generation is going to have so few Hall of Famers, I wonder if they'll change the criteria just to let a few in. I don't even think ten are in for golfers right now younger than Tiger. Among guys younger than Tiger, Spieth, McIlroy, D. Johnson, Z. Johnson, Garcia, Rose, Stenson, Scott are probably all in. Watson and Kaymer can still get there, but they need to prove more. 10 wins and two majors has not gotten Stockton and Zoeller in, Watson's at 9 and two majors. Kaymer is at 11 European Tour wins and two majors, none purely on the PGA Tour. He's considerably younger than Watson, so he has time, I think he probably gets in, but too early to say for sure with him. For all I know, Kaymer doesn't win again the rest of his career. I'm not convinced Watson wins again in his career. Even then, 1 more win should not get him in. Day and Thomas will get there, but they need to prove more before thats a real discussion.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Westwood and Rose get in. Casey doesn't without a major. Rose is a big name I'd say, since Merion he's kinda been like just outside elite.

Honestly, they'll all probably get in. HOFs are stupid cause they induct every year, so eventually all the weak candidates get it. Hell, I bet one day we see Jimmy Walker in the HOF. It's dumb. HOFs need to get to a point where they say, no inductions this year as everyone up has already been passed over. Or at some point do a class every second or third year.

DeChambeau-Hossler-Cantlay playoff might be the greatest thing all year aside from the two events and a WD we get from Tiger.

Jan 3, 2012
There was this tournament in England this year, I think they call it the Open?
Yeah Kuchar might be fringe HOF if he had won it. Kuch is weird though... he's like... kinda good but not elite and not almost elite like Rose. Has his career been a disappointment?

Jan 3, 2012
Plus I just realized we have to consider all the South Africans for the HOF.

Els has to be a lock. Goosen? Probably.

If Rose is gunna get in you can make a case for Schwartzel and Oosthuizen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Plus I just realized we have to consider all the South Africans for the HOF.

Els has to be a lock. Goosen? Probably.

If Rose is gunna get in you can make a case for Schwartzel and Oosthuizen.

Goosen and Els will get in, Oosthuizen barely wins, he's like Fowler, no chance, in my opinion. Schwartzel has a very outside chance, in my opinion. Kuchar isn't even close to making it. Winning the Open wouldn't have even gotten him close to HOF because its really almost all about numbers, probably would need like two majors, and its still doubtful.

McDowell is another name I just thought has some chance, but he'd likely need a major or another 4-5 wins. Can he do that? Probably not, 38, ranking has dropped, a lot.

Jan 3, 2012
If McDowell is in then Schwartzel is in. I don't think either should be though. I don't really think Zach Johnson should get in.

What about John Daly... not so much for his lucking into two majors, but his weird icon status?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
My definitive opinions:

Westwood: Definitely in. I don't think he was any worse than Monty, plus he reached #1 in the OWGR. It was definitely one of the weakest points in recent golf history in terms of top-end players, but #1 is #1.

Rose: Definitely in. Would shock me if he doesn't win another major.

Bubba: Had he won two PGAs, then no. But he won two Masters. He'll get in, even though I don't necessarily agree with it.

ZJ: Most likely in.

Kaymer: He'll probably come out of nowhere again and win another big tournament which would make him a lock. But if that doesn't happen, then no. Great peak but there's just too many periods of irrelevance on his resume.

Kuchar: Definitely not.

Els/Goosen: Are they really not in already? Weird. They'll get in.

Oosthuizen/Schwartzel: Oosthuizen is one of the biggest underachievers of this generation. I like him but he won't make it. Schwartzel has even less chance.

McDowell: No chance.

Daly: He should get his own section in the HOF. The GOAT.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Harrington and Furyk are locks as well. I also really wish Angel Cabrera would've won the playoff at the 2013 Masters. Would've made him a lock. 4 PGA Tour wins and 3 of them majors.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My definitive opinions:

Westwood: Definitely in. I don't think he was any worse than Monty, plus he reached #1 in the OWGR. It was definitely one of the weakest points in recent golf history in terms of top-end players, but #1 is #1.

Rose: Definitely in. Would shock me if he doesn't win another major.

Bubba: Had he won two PGAs, then no. But he won two Masters. He'll get in, even though I don't necessarily agree with it.

ZJ: Most likely in.

Kaymer: He'll probably come out of nowhere again and win another big tournament which would make him a lock. But if that doesn't happen, then no. Great peak but there's just too many periods of irrelevance on his resume.

Kuchar: Definitely not.

Els/Goosen: Are they really not in already? Weird. They'll get in.

Oosthuizen/Schwartzel: Oosthuizen is one of the biggest underachievers of this generation. I like him but he won't make it. Schwartzel has even less chance.

McDowell: No chance.

Daly: He should get his own section in the HOF. The GOAT.

They set a terrible precedent letting Monty in. I agree Westwood will make it, but he shouldn't.

I get your point on Watson, but Zoeller won two majors, 1 the Masters, the other was the US Open at Winged Foot which is one of the top venues for the tournament, along with 10 PGA Tour wins, Watson has 9. Watson also had a very erratic career, barely contended in any other majors, Zoeller contended in tons of them. If Watson wins another few tournaments, I think there's no question, but I think it becomes such an interesting discussion because he probably is finished. He is absolutely flying down the rankings, might be out of the top 100 soon enough. This might be his full resume, is it enough? It shouldn't be, in my opinion. Most people were saying that for 2 majors, Zach Johnson has the bare minimum requirements to make it, Masters and St. Andrew Open, along with 12 wins and a consistent career. Is two Masters better than Masters and St. Andrews Open? I think the latter is better.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If McDowell is in then Schwartzel is in. I don't think either should be though. I don't really think Zach Johnson should get in.

What about John Daly... not so much for his lucking into two majors, but his weird icon status?

So many of Schwartzel's wins have come in those South African co-sanctioned events, which aren't really strong European Tour fields. It weakens his resume, I think he won one of those events like four times. McDowell was really good for a number of years. I don't think either make it, but given the same resume, I'd pick McDowell. Both have work to do though, and probably won't get there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cantlay drains the 10 footer to stay alive. Either these guys are really bad or this hole is unreasonably difficult.

I'd say nervous, not bad.

If this was a Spieth, McIlroy, Thomas playoff, I think someone would have pulled off a par. Two of these guys haven't won, the other is a journeyman who barely wins.

It also is a hard hole though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad