Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
XG’s QA on PHNX is incredible. They’ve finally dropped the BS and are finally keeping it simple and right to the point. I’m loving this new version of these guys. No convoluted shenanigans. No schemes. They’re straight up gonna buy this thing and pay for it themselves or they’re going to sell the team for relocation. That’s it. No plan B.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
EXCLUSIVE: 'This is it': Coyotes CEO says team will look at relocation if they don't get land in Phoenix

"I love the excitement, but is there a plan B? What if you aren't able to obtain that land?" asked Soto.

"This is it. This is the plan or else we are going to have to explore relocation of this organization," said Gutierrez.

"If I understand correctly, this is the last hurrah. If this doesn't happen, essentially, you've got to start looking at other avenues of the coyotes possibly leaving Arizona?" asked Soto.

"Absolutely. And we've made that very clear, and I think everyone should be aware of that. That this is it," Gutierrez replied"

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotes19c

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
So, the day before the draft.
The draft party could be a fun one this year.
I had hope for an Ishbia or tribe plan if this fails but SLC is likely going to be it. Which shouldn't surprise anyone except for Jakey.
I think we're going to win the auction, but I'm quite concerned with XG talking about relocation already. The optics on this by ownership is lacking confidence, especially on the day the auction date is declared. Strange.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This doesn't sound like bad news to me. Just sounds like the team is finally ready to lay out what's at stake if they don't get it done. I still have some faith left. Feel relieved, actually. I need some sort of closure lol.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wouldn't be surprised if a deal has already been discussed/worked out with the SLC guys as their next move if they don't get the land. But I believe they want this to get done first and foremost.
Agree

This doesn't sound like bad news to me. Just sounds like the team is finally ready to lay out what's at stake if they don't get it done. I still have some faith left. Feel relieved, actually. I need some sort of closure lol.
100%

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I feel like XG saying that and laying out the stakes is basically signalling to anyone out there, "If you want us here, stay out of our way. But if you want that land, you're going to have to pay waaaaaay out the ass for it, and be willing to endure being labeled the asshole that killed the Coyotes (and everything that comes with that)."

I like this play. Upfront. Honest. And setting a boundary. Now just go win the damn thing.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Honestly there is a weird level of comfort in that quote by XG. One of the biggest sources of pain for me after Tempe was the unknown. You didn’t know if they were done or if there was a plan B or what, we were all in the dark, hoping for some hope we didn’t know was even there.

It’s strangely comforting to be staring the fate of the franchise in the face and know definitively after the last 15 years that this is, in fact, it.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I wouldn't be surprised if a deal has already been discussed/worked out with the SLC guys as their next move if they don't get the land. But I believe they want this to get done first and foremost.
If you're the SLC buyers, don't you get involved in this auction?

Does it being a state auction mean that the bidding process is sufficiently public that you can't bid without eating bad PR / pissing off Bettman?

"Getting stuck with a patch of land in ARZ that I don't really want" is a small price to pay to get a team with a talented young roster and a good hockey operations staff.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018

Does it being a state auction mean that the bidding process is sufficiently public that you can't bid without eating bad PR / pissing off Bettman?

"Getting stuck with a patch of land in ARZ that I don't really want" is a small price to pay to get a team with a talented young roster and a good hockey operations staff.
The land department won’t let you bid if you don’t have a solid plan for the land, so they won’t sell to someone who’s just gonna sit on it

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Uncle Gary would have zero interest in people like that owning a team and when he ousts you it's over.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Here are all the notices attached to the auction.

Auction Notice (PDF,10 pages) - Contains all the details of the auction including qualifications, and requirements.

Auction Flyer (PDF, 1 page)

Phase 1 ESA (PDF, 325 pages) (Note: Looks like same as the original 200 acre study)

ALTA/NSPS Land Title Survey (PDF, 6 pages)

City of Phoenix Infrastructure Letter (PDF, 10 pages)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The land department won’t let you bid if you don’t have a solid plan for the land, so they won’t sell to someone who’s just gonna sit on it

To bid you must::

-- Show up with a certified cashier's check for ~$16 million dollars.
-- Show you can close the sale within 30 days.
-- Have a certified plan for immediate use of the site.

Starting bid is $68,5 million. With increment bids of $100k

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I've been saying this all along. This has been in Bettman's back pocket since the TED failed. I actually suspect that the announcement might have been made at the deadline if it hadn't been for the auction revelation.

Like Craig said last night, if the auction goes south, get ready for moving vans.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
XG’s QA on PHNX is incredible. They’ve finally dropped the BS and are finally keeping it simple and right to the point. I’m loving this new version of these guys. No convoluted shenanigans. No schemes. They’re straight up gonna buy this thing and pay for it themselves or they’re going to sell the team for relocation. That’s it. No plan B.
This was plan B:nod: Giving it their best shot. AM has invested millions, and has lost millions to try and save this team. I don't see him losing it now. And forget about a local buyer if AM fails.

I had hope for an Ishbia or tribe plan if this fails but SLC is likely going to be it. Which shouldn't surprise anyone except for Jakey.
I think we're going to win the auction, but I'm quite concerned with XG talking about relocation already. The optics on this by ownership is lacking confidence, especially on the day the auction date is declared. Strange.
Where did you see or heare the ownership "lacking confidence?"

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

I think XGs comments about relocating is likely resulting from the NHL saying this is your last chance

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Here are all the notices attached to the auction.

Auction Notice (PDF,10 pages) - Contains all the details of the auction including qualifications, and requirements.

Auction Flyer (PDF, 1 page)

Phase 1 ESA (PDF, 325 pages) (Note: Looks like same as the original 200 acre study)

ALTA/NSPS Land Title Survey (PDF, 6 pages)

City of Phoenix Infrastructure Letter (PDF, 10 pages)

Under "Additional Conditions (B)" is the time frame of an arena. Phoenix wants this, and the Coyote's want this. IF someone else wants this land, not only will they have to outbid AM, but whatever they build will have to give a ROI. I only skimmed over it but does it give a date to submit the plans from potential bidders? I would think Phoenix would need to know what kind of ROI they will be receiving, not only from the sale but going forward as well.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Under "Additional Conditions (B)" is the time frame of an arena. Phoenix wants this, and the Coyote's want this. IF someone else wants this land, not only will they have to outbid AM, but whatever they build will have to give a ROI. I only skimmed over it but does it give a date to submit the plans from potential bidders? I would think Phoenix would need to know what kind of ROI they will be receiving, not only from the sale but going forward as well.
The state has the right to kick out any potential land speculators/squatters.

You want to bid? Come with a $16 million cashiers check and a plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad