All Purpose Analytics and Extended Stats Discussion

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There's no evidence to suggest that increased TOI dilutes point and goal rates. At least none that I have seen.

Also, given Backstrom's absence and Eller and Dowd's sporadic absences it seems like Laviolette didn't really have much of a choice but to play Kuznetsov more this season. His hand was forced, and as I mentioned I am quite interested to see what happens with Kuznetsov's TOI once all of the centers are healthy.

If you're playing in more defensive situations for 2-3 more minutes per night it's not going to affect your scoring rates?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Who the hell cares. Last season is last season. The good news is that he’s playing very well (per stats and eye test) THIS SEASON and that bodes well for Washington’s Stanley Cup aspirations.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Who the hell cares. Last season is last season. The good news is that he’s playing very well (per stats and eye test) THIS SEASON and that bodes well for Washington’s Stanley Cup aspirations.

Thank you for your contribution to the thread!

Reactions: hb12xchamps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If you're playing in more defensive situations for 2-3 more minutes per night it's not going to affect your scoring rates?

Proportionally his 5v5 deployments are similar to last season. So his rates shouldn’t be affected.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This is the analytics thread, not the Kuznetsov thread. If your arguments about Kuznetsov don’t have anything to do with analytics, perhaps chose a different thread to post them in.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is the analytics thread, not the Kuznetsov thread. If your arguments about Kuznetsov don’t have anything to do with analytics, perhaps chose a different thread to post them in.

Except that's not what happened, and you're not a mod. Thanks for chiming in.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What exactly do you mean here?

His deployments, in terms of QoC, zone starts, and leverage (i.e. playing more protecting a lead vs. from behind) are all very similar to last year’s deployments.

The major change of course is that his QoT is better this year, thanks mostly to sharing a ton of ice with a Hart-candidate Ovechkin. But one would expect this to increase Kuznetsov’s scoring rate this season, if anything.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His deployments, in terms of QoC, zone starts, and leverage (i.e. playing more protecting a lead vs. from behind) are all very similar to last year’s deployments.

The major change of course is that his QoT is better this year, thanks mostly to sharing a ton of ice with a Hart-candidate Ovechkin. But one would expect this to increase Kuznetsov’s scoring rate this season, if anything.

are you suggesting Kuzy is simply riding coattails?

I’d suggest Kuzy is helping Hart-candidate Ovechkin be just that….

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Interesting observation about Kuzy... he's being deployed in the Ozone starts about 6% less than last year, so more defensive and neutral starts, likely because he is PKing this year.

At the same time, his points per 60 when PKing is off the charts. In all situations he's scoring ~.87 G/60 and about 2.17 P/60. But when he's on the PK, he's scoring 2.06 G/60 and 6.17 P/60.

So basically when Kuzy is on the PK is he ~3 times more likely to score than in all situations.

*waves hand* pay no attention to the sample sizes, those rates are hilarious!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You’re suggesting nothing has changed other than his given ice time….I call hogwash.

Yes. The numbers are incredibly similar to last year, so why do people think he’s so much better this year? Perhaps he’s more aesthetically pleasing, but is he more effective? I’m not convinced that he is.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The 2021-22 player cards just came out on Evolving Hockey. A few interesting ones from Washington:

upload_2021-12-27_19-4-45.png

upload_2021-12-27_19-4-18.png

No surprises given the stats I've mentioned in this thread: Kuznetsov is largely the same player as he was last season. He's just being afforded more opportunities.

Here is another reason why I suspect Kuznetsov is being perceived quite a bit differently this year:
upload_2021-12-27_19-8-2.png

upload_2021-12-27_19-8-24.png

He's playing alongside an MVP candidate who is driving the bus at 5v5.

upload_2021-12-27_19-9-46.png

upload_2021-12-27_19-10-0.png

Jensen is once again playing great defensive hockey, but his offensive numbers are going to regress quite a bit.

Finally, our favorite whipping boy:
upload_2021-12-27_19-11-2.png

upload_2021-12-27_19-11-18.png

The criticism of his play this season is quite valid.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing like jumping on a player playing on a cold streak the last month…..he was producing and now isn’t…..pretty clear.

long season….but 21-22 Kuzy is the better player easily.

Reactions: g00n

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Wow a stats thread for all those that can't judge a players game by watching him play. Stats don't tell the entire story.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Nothing like jumping on a player playing on a cold streak the last month…..he was producing and now isn’t…..pretty clear.

long season….but 21-22 Kuzy is the better player easily.

You know me: I love unfairly piling on Evgeny Kuznetsov!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No, the player cards on Evolving Hockey were just released today.

So what? How many games have been played since we last flogged this horse? Kuzy was hot early this year and cooled off so comparing select stats one year to the next is going to be distorted.

edit: TWO. Kuzy has played TWO more games since the last time we discussed 2020-21 vs 2021-22. Please rewind.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So what? How many games have been played since we last flogged this horse? Kuzy was hot early this year and cooled off so comparing select stats one year to the next is going to be distorted.
Plus, again, it ignores the numerous quotes from staff and the player himself talking about the differences and what has changed. We just want to ignore all this because you can’t quantify it and then act like nothing is different, because remember: if the numbers don’t change, nothing can be different.

Reactions: g00n

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

edit: TWO. Kuzy has played TWO more games since the last time we discussed 2020-21 vs 2021-22. Please rewind.

Please feel free to ignore that part of the post! There were other player cards posted!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00