All Purpose Analytics and Extended Stats Discussion

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
@twabby I need some analytics backing up my love for Orlov! No trolling. I think he’s a stud and so underrated.

Over the last 20 games (basically since he was broken up from his pairing with Carlson) he's been the second best Capital defenseman in terms of expected goals at 56%, and his actual goals are at 60%. Nick Jensen of course leads the Capitals in this regard right now at a massive 60% xGF%.

Orlov is kind of a jack of all trades type of player at this point in his career: decent to good at everything, not fantastic at anything. He has a higher than average relative expected goals for per 60 (+0.04 Rel xGF/60), a lower than average relative expected goals against per 60 (-0.03 Rel xGA/60, negative in this case is good), has a good penalty differential, can play on the PP but doesn't excel there, can play on the PK but is only used sparingly there, can play in 4v4 and 3v3 situations, can play a physical game but doesn't rely on it much, etc.

I don't think he's the best at any one thing really: Jensen is probably better defensively according to the numbers, Carlson is better offensively and on the PP, Chara and Jensen are probably better penalty killers, Dillon and Chara are probably more physical, etc. But there isn't really a game situation where he is weak.

His main detractors used to point to his giveaways as a negative mark against him, but again that is a big failing of the eye-test: most people remember the rare big events and let it weigh their opinions way too much, and don't really notice the numerous small things that add up to usually mean more than the big things when taken in totality.

Discussing Orlov was more interesting back in the day when a lot of people were asking for him to be exposed to the Vegas expansion draft in favor of protecting Karl Alzner instead. Brian MacLellan chose wisely, and I think nowadays he's a far less polarizing figure than he used to be.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I wonder where Orlov stands in terms of value for cap dollar. I've always considered his contract to be of fair value but I've seen many people disagree with this assessment.

@twabby, do you know if anyone has done a performance vs cap comparison across the league? Something like value above replacement or xGF% compared to cap hit for all non-ELC defensemen.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I wonder where Orlov stands in terms of value for cap dollar. I've always considered his contract to be of fair value but I've seen many people disagree with this assessment.

@twabby, do you know if anyone has done a performance vs cap comparison across the league? Something like value above replacement or xGF% compared to cap hit for all non-ELC defensemen.

I think Dom Luszczyszyn has something like this over at The Athletic, but I'm not a subscriber so I don't have access to his numbers.

My suspicion is that his contract isn't really a bargain, but I don't think the Capitals have many bargains on the team except for Chara, Dowd, and Jensen. Like most of the team I think Orlov's contract is probably right in line with what he should be making, but again I'm not sure what some models think he should be making.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

You need the Expected WAR stat. Look to the good exaple of how to use it here: The cost of trading a bad Contract

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
This season estimation (really aproximate, based on hockey-reference site stat):
PlayerPOSPoint SharesCorrect cap number $M
Nicklas BackstromC3.78.891
John CarlsonD3.17.449
Jakub VranaLW2.86.728
Alex OvechkinLW2.56.008
Justin SchultzD2.56.008
Nick JensenD2.35.527
Zdeno CharaD2.25.287
Tom WilsonRW1.94.566
Brenden DillonD1.84.325
T.J. OshieC1.63.845
Daniel SprongRW1.33.124
Evgeny KuznetsovC1.12.643
Conor ShearyLW1.12.643
Garnet HathawayRW1.12.643
Lars EllerC12.403
Nic DowdC0.92.163
Dmitry OrlovD0.81.922
Carl HagelinLW0.51.202
Richard PanikRW0.40.961
Trevor van RiemsdykD00.725
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Heh, so Oshie is overpaid, Wilson too..that’s all I really need to see from that chart for validation.

not even worth calling out the other high priced eye sores listed....

Reactions: Calicaps

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
the last season:
John CarlsonD10.710.977
Alex OvechkinLW8.78.925
Jakub VranaLW6.16.258
Braden HoltbyG66.155
T.J. OshieC5.55.642
Evgeny KuznetsovC5.15.232
Nicklas BackstromC4.64.719
Tom WilsonRW4.24.309
Dmitry OrlovD44.103
Michal KempnyD3.94.001
Lars EllerC3.63.693
Radko GudasD3.23.283
Richard PanikRW2.52.565
Carl HagelinLW2.32.360
Garnet HathawayRW1.51.539
Nic DowdC1.51.539
Nick JensenD1.31.334
Travis BoydC1.11.128
Brendan LeipsicLW0.50.700
Chandler StephensonC0.40.700
Tyler LewingtonD-0.10.700
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
2018/19
Alex OvechkinLW119.307
John CarlsonD10.58.884
Braden HoltbyG10.28.630
Evgeny KuznetsovC6.85.754
Nicklas BackstromC6.65.584
T.J. OshieC5.64.738
Michal KempnyD5.34.484
Brett ConnollyRW5.24.400
Tom WilsonRW4.43.723
Dmitry OrlovD43.384
Pheonix CopleyG3.93.300
Matt NiskanenD3.63.046
Lars EllerC2.31.946
Andre BurakovskyLW2.21.861
Nic DowdC2.11.777
Christian DjoosD21.692
Brooks OrpikD21.692
Travis BoydC1.71.438
Carl HagelinLW1.10.931
Dmitrij JaskinRW0.10.675
Chandler StephensonC00.675
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
2017/18
Alex OvechkinLW11.28.926
John CarlsonD9.87.810
Evgeny KuznetsovC8.87.013
Braden HoltbyG8.36.614
Nicklas BackstromC6.95.499
Matt NiskanenD6.65.260
Philipp GrubauerG6.55.180
Dmitry OrlovD6.24.941
T.J. OshieC4.43.506
Lars EllerC3.42.710
Christian DjoosD3.32.630
Tom WilsonRW3.22.550
Brett ConnollyRW2.62.072
Andre BurakovskyLW2.62.072
Alex ChiassonRW1.61.275
Chandler StephensonC1.61.275
Jay BeagleRW1.41.116
Brooks OrpikD1.31.036
Michal KempnyD0.80.650
Devante Smith-PellyRW0.50.650
Travis BoydC0.10.650
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This comparison vs contract value might not paint the picture some want to see lol....some big name/big $ guys underperforming year to year.

That would seem to be further validation as to the accuracy of some of the “eye tests” that are often casually dismissed around these parts by the math crew.

People that know this sport don’t always need a chart to make the determination that a player is underperforming, but I guess if math is the only thing you believe....read the charts lol.

Reactions: Calicaps

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
(Oof, my apologies in advance for breaking anyone's display. I don't know what I'm doing with uploading tables. It is what it is. I wrapped in spoiler tags in the hopes it helps.)

I got curious. Instead of comparing Kuznetsov's defensive prowess to Dowd's (or some other), or saying Dowd isn't very good because he doesn't score as much as Kuzy, etc. I wanted to see how the Caps players performed in super simplistic methods based on how/where they were deployed. i.e., did 'defensive' (Dowd, Chara, etc) players actually do OK limiting goals when starting in the defensive zone, did 'offensive' (Carlson, Kuzy, etc) players actually do OK scoring goals when starting in the offensive zone.

Charts below presented without conclusions - because honestly there are still a ton of variables that this doesn't include, and I don't know of any formula that can factor them in without being subjective. I basically just took Goals For divided by Offensive Zone Starts, and Goals Against divided by Defensive Zone Starts. Minimum 200 minutes. This is also showing all situations, because I never understood why you only want to measure ~80-90% of a game. (I do know the logic used to focus on 5v5, I just disagree with it.)

I do think some of the things this shows is interesting - like Nick Jensen has been on the ice for 21 GF, while only getting 26 offensive zone starts. By far the best ratio among D-men on the team, compared to Carlson's 48 GF despite 146 offensive zone starts.

Showing all NHL players also reveals something interesting, that of all qualifying forwards, Dowd has been on the ice for 16 GA despite 158 D Zone starts - that's the fifth best ratio in the entire league.

As evidenced by Jensen's numbers, there are obvious sample size questions on some of those. So be it, I'm not pretending its great or all meaning.

Filter is applied to show only Caps players, but anyone is welcome to download it (link in each title), play with the filters, see NHL as a whole, etc. I won't pretend to be much of an advanced stats guy - I think expected goals is a wholly stupid way of evaluating performance over a season - so yeah, whatever, nevermind.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
(Oof, my apologies in advance for breaking anyone's display. I don't know what I'm doing with uploading tables. It is what it is. I wrapped in spoiler tags in the hopes it helps.)

I got curious. Instead of comparing Kuznetsov's defensive prowess to Dowd's (or some other), or saying Dowd isn't very good because he doesn't score as much as Kuzy, etc. I wanted to see how the Caps players performed in super simplistic methods based on how/where they were deployed. i.e., did 'defensive' (Dowd, Chara, etc) players actually do OK limiting goals when starting in the defensive zone, did 'offensive' (Carlson, Kuzy, etc) players actually do OK scoring goals when starting in the offensive zone.

Charts below presented without conclusions - because honestly there are still a ton of variables that this doesn't include, and I don't know of any formula that can factor them in without being subjective. I basically just took Goals For divided by Offensive Zone Starts, and Goals Against divided by Defensive Zone Starts. Minimum 200 minutes. This is also showing all situations, because I never understood why you only want to measure ~80-90% of a game. (I do know the logic used to focus on 5v5, I just disagree with it.)

I do think some of the things this shows is interesting - like Nick Jensen has been on the ice for 21 GF, while only getting 26 offensive zone starts. By far the best ratio among D-men on the team, compared to Carlson's 48 GF despite 146 offensive zone starts.

Showing all NHL players also reveals something interesting, that of all qualifying forwards, Dowd has been on the ice for 16 GA despite 158 D Zone starts - that's the fifth best ratio in the entire league.

As evidenced by Jensen's numbers, there are obvious sample size questions on some of those. So be it, I'm not pretending its great or all meaning.

Filter is applied to show only Caps players, but anyone is welcome to download it (link in each title), play with the filters, see NHL as a whole, etc. I won't pretend to be much of an advanced stats guy - I think expected goals is a wholly stupid way of evaluating performance over a season - so yeah, whatever, nevermind.

Many GF are scored from neutral zone starts or even from the def zone starts not only from off zone stats. The same is true for GA. You are dividing your stats by the zero here. If you count all goals from all starts but only the off starts to divide. Imagine someone who has only played def starts in all the season and scored one goal in 82 full games. One goal in a whole season is awful and this player will never see NHL contract again. But in your metric he will have 999999999999999999999999% efficasity.

Last edited:

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I know it excludes information that is relevant. But I specifically wanted to focus on offensive and defensive zone deployments. AFAIK, there is no stat to isolate goals per zone start. So this includes and shows exactly what i wanted it to.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Interesting article about how the NHL is capturing and using data for analytics. I did not know they are now using chips in shoulder pads to track players. Obviously having more data (vs recording data using only the eyeballs) leads to more opportunity to use AI to crunch that data.

https://blogs.oracle.com/bigdata/how-hockey-is-embracing-big-data-and-analytics

Wonder what this all means for Kuzy? *grin*

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
A comment from the closed GDT caught my eye - Billy Beane is not out of baseball. He's still with Oakland. He's the Vice President of Baseball Operations.
He’s leaving baseball to take a role with Fenway Sports Group as of October 2020. I’d venture this is his last season. Article I read said he most likely shifts his focus to European soccer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5