All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
to be clear. ...I'm not saying extend him per se

if the objective next year is play the youth I think the team needs to hire a new coach with a multi year deal OR extend Boucher.

a coach is always in win now mode unless they have a guaranteed contract that makes the immediate w/l record financially irrelevant to them.

if Boucher goes into next year without an extension I can't see him having any interest in player development

Agreed. Right now though, he should really be focusing on development, and the fact that he isn't is probably more on Dorion than him, as unless Dorion tells Boucher the season is a write-off, he's coaching for his livelihood.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There is absolutely no way of proving this ......... 100% conjecture on your part
There's also no way to prove that if we traded a couple 7th round picks and Phaneuf for Doughty and Crosby we'd be a better team. It's great of you to point out that his opinion isn't a fact, and is just an opinion, but not terribly constructive to any form of conversation. Perhaps try explaining why you think playing the likes of Dumont, Burrows and Oduya over Chlapik, White and Chabot would lead to more wins.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think he earned his walking papers about a month ago. Unfortunately, until his appearance in Buffalo, Pierre Dorion has gone AWOL

There is no way that the results of this season, to this point, can be placed 100% on Boucher.

Did he injure Karlsson and Brassard, keeping them from a whole summer of training after recovering fro off season surgery? Did he ask Phaneuf to NOT waive his NMC, and therefore is without Methot instead of Wideman? Did he ask the NHL schedule maker to set up 19 back to back games? Did he demand that the Sens travel to Sweden for two games? Did he ask Anderson and Condon to combine for a sub .900 Sv%? Did he injure Boro, Smith, Ryan and Wideman this season?

I doubt he earned anything other than finishing out his contract, and next season he is a position to earn another contract.

Reactions: Cloud

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Frustrating seeing the good teams in the NHL trending towards speed and youth while Boucher loads our team up with 30-something grinders.

We are 3rd last in the NHL, the seasons over and our youngest forward is 25, smh. Why are we playing Dumont? What future does he have with us?

Playing Dumont, a player that Dorion got for nothing, allows a younger player to develop in the AHL.
Then next year he is going to play in the AHL and be available for a call up if needed.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Agreed. Right now though, he should really be focusing on development, and the fact that he isn't is probably more on Dorion than him, as unless Dorion tells Boucher the season is a write-off, he's coaching for his livelihood.[/QUOTE]

I think I've been saying this for about a month now.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There's also no way to prove that if we traded a couple 7th round picks and Phaneuf for Doughty and Crosby we'd be a better team. It's great of you to point out that his opinion isn't a fact, and is just an opinion, but not terribly constructive to any form of conversation. Perhaps try explaining why you think playing the likes of Dumont, Burrows and Oduya over Chlapik, White and Chabot would lead to more wins.

It does not matter what I think........ I'm not the Head Coach of the Senators, and Boucher is, and he is making the decision to play the players, that he knows better than anyone, and I mean anyone, on this site, to win games ........... winning games is his Livelihood, is it not?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It's kinda funny that one of the criticisms of Mclellan is that he throws his players under the bus, and there's some criticism on Boucher that he is too positive about the players. Well, I found it funny at least.

And...a hockey forum is going to be largely opinion based. We are not using the scientific method here.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It does not matter what I think........ I'm not the Head Coach of the Senators, and Boucher is, and he is making the decision to play the players, that he knows better than anyone, and I mean anyone, on this site, to win games ........... winning games is his Livelihood, is it not?

but you are going to let us all in on it anyway, amirite?

Reactions: BloodRedArmy

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation

For crying out loud, do you understand what this place is? It's message board where people discuss their opinions, not a court of law where facts must be proven. You are extremely defensive even when no one is trying to attack you. You must truly be part of the senators organization, no other way one can explain your need to come out swinging every time someone voices their opinion.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Does he know that he's losing most of the games coaching the way he has been? I mean he should KNOW that

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Does anything really merit discussion in your world?
So anyone in a position of power based on previous training or experience ALWAYS makes the right decisions and is immune from criticism??

Last edited:

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Do you think an option for the Sens could be bringing back Luke Richardson as a head coach? I'm sure a lot of players would love it.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
so...after these last 2 games....does anyone still believe that Boucher has lost the room?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
so...after these last 2 games....does anyone still believe that Boucher has lost the room?
When coaches do lose the room, the team often has been or is in a prolonged slump..what happens at least some of the time is the players start playing for the guy next to them, for themselves and their team mates .. its not always the coach that turns things around or the players start listening .. there are a lot of factors that can change the way a team plays together.

Note: I am not saying Boucher lost the room.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Do you think an option for the Sens could be bringing back Luke Richardson as a head coach? I'm sure a lot of players would love it.

That would not go over well here. Another cheap option with no previous nhl head coaching experience.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
When coaches do lose the room, the team often has been or is in a prolonged slump..what happens at least some of the time is the players start playing for the guy next to them, for themselves and their team mates .. its not always the coach that turns things around or the players start listening .. there are a lot of factors that can change the way a team plays together.

Note: I am not saying Boucher lost the room.

All good points. Personally I never felt like he had lost the room based on what the players were saying and Boucher himself in post/pre game interviews...

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
That would not go over well here. Another cheap option with no previous nhl head coaching experience.

Well the players know him and he was winning in the AHL when he had the current players on the Sens roster. Cheap option but could be the right option. Every head coach has to have a shot at some point.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well the players know him and he was winning in the AHL when he had the current players on the Sens roster. Cheap option but could be the right option. Every head coach has to have a shot at some point.

Yes, but the last 6 coaches have been first time guys or guys with limited success at the nhl level. Won’t go over well here, I can tell you that.

Is Richardson even that good a coach?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If he is playing youth, he is basically telling his players and leadership group that he doesn't believe in them, which is why they have to try and win and make the playoffs, as silly and unrealistic as it may be. Crazy as it is, Mark Stone still thinks they can make the playoffs. Last thing you want to do is put in youth at this point. But, believe me, the point in time will come as they will continue to unravel, that youth will be played. But we will have to wait until the trade deadline when Ottawa officially becomes sellers.

It is easy for many here to say "play the youth" and "tank thread" etc...but you all have to remember that the players are trying to win. They don't want to suck . But with terrible goaltending and terrible play by their laughing, always joking captain, this team is doomed...and there is not enough talent to compensate for that. And no coach will change that, or any system if your goalie cannot make routine saves. And you star player has checked out.

Depends how it's done.

If you pull Stone out of the lineup to play White, then yeah, you're disrespecting the leadership group and saying you have no faith in them.

Pulling a Dumont or other fourth line plug from the lineup to insert fresh legs shows the team you're trying to add a spark to the lineup.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Yes, but the last 6 coaches have been first time guys or guys with limited success at the nhl level. Won’t go over well here, I can tell you that.

Is Richardson even that good a coach?

2012-13Binghamton SenatorsAHLHead764424080.632
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2013-14Binghamton SenatorsAHLHead764424080.632
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2014-15Binghamton SenatorsAHLHead763434080.500
2015-16Binghamton SenatorsAHLHead763138070.454
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Going through the seasons 2012-2014 season he had Stone, Hoffman, Pageau and a few other great players.
2014-2016 He had borderline in and out of the NHL players to play with. So that's understandable the drop off those last 2 years.

Head Coach 2016/2017 Team Canada Spengler Cup winning Team

I think he's a great coach. A players kind of coach.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have not seen the last two games at all because of work only highlights. Has Boucher changed his system and are playing a more traditional up tempo offensive attack? Or we are somehow still winning with his 1 3 1?

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
From Sean Avery's book re: giving up on a coach. Say what you want about the dude, but he was in locker rooms and has first hand knowledge of what he's talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_2985-1.jpeg
    IMG_2985-1.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 30

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Our identity last year was a great 3rd period team, a team that can come back from giving up the 1st goal, a team that never quit, a team that always believed in itself despite the metrics.

Looks like we are that team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad