Injury Report: All-Inclusive Injuries thread (Torres & Burish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Anyone else think tonight was the last time we'll see Burish in a Sharks uniform given the injury and (hopefully) impending buyout in the offseason?

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think they'll buy him out. Contract not big enough to make it a huge burden and it's not DW's style to buy guys out if he doesn't have to. I think Havlat's the only one at risk.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Anyone else think tonight was the last time we'll see Burish in a Sharks uniform given the injury and (hopefully) impending buyout in the offseason?

The buyout would only occur if the injury heals in time for that window and they don't have a trade lined up to move him out.

I don't think they'll buy him out. Contract not big enough to make it a huge burden and it's not DW's style to buy guys out if he doesn't have to. I think Havlat's the only one at risk.

Considering all the dancing they've had to do with the salary cap, I think his contract is certainly big enough to make it a useful thing to buy him out if they have no other recourse to move him out. DW gets two compliance buyouts to use this year and this year only. If he's willing to buy out Havlat for four million dollars, he should be willing to buy out Burish for a little under 2.5 million.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The buyout would only occur if the injury heals in time for that window and they don't have a trade lined up to move him out.

Considering all the dancing they've had to do with the salary cap, I think his contract is certainly big enough to make it a useful thing to buy him out if they have no other recourse to move him out. DW gets two compliance buyouts to use this year and this year only. If he's willing to buy out Havlat for four million dollars, he should be willing to buy out Burish for a little under 2.5 million.

As wilson has proved time in and time out he is able to move what this board deems as bad contracts if they are short enough in term. That makes burish an asset to keep next year.

Havlat on the other end is a big contract that is hurting the club more then helping and is much much harder to move.

As much as you will complain about it, but burish will be on this team next season if healthy. He might not last the entire season, but he will start the year and most likely be with the club until at the very least trade deadline day.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As wilson has proved time in and time out he is able to move what this board deems as bad contracts if they are short enough in term. That makes burish an asset to keep next year.

Havlat on the other end is a big contract that is hurting the club more then helping and is much much harder to move.

As much as you will complain about it, but burish will be on this team next season if healthy. He might not last the entire season, but he will start the year and most likely be with the club until at the very least trade deadline day.

Burish has two more seasons after this one. That's not short enough in term that makes Burish an asset. Burish is a negative asset at this point even if his cap hit isn't as high as Havlat. I doubt DW is going to wait until next season's trade deadline when he will still have another year to go to move him. Since it was already reportedly on the table to move him at this deadline, I doubt he plays another game as a Shark. Whether it's via buyout or trade really makes no difference.

I do expect Havlat to be bought out as well but I would much rather buy out Burish than have to package him with a quality player to get rid of him. It would also cost less money to buy out Burish than Havlat so if the buyout is an option for Havlat, it's an option for Burish as well. That's the entire point.

If DW can trade them, he will but he's also not had a free cap buyout option before either so it's up to him and Hasso to figure out if they want to spend the money or not.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Neither Burish or Havlat will be bought out. DW doesn't do buyouts.

DW doesn't do regular buyouts. We don't know yet if he will utilize the compliance buyout for no cap hit. We'll see this off-season as he has two at his disposal if he so chooses.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
DW was on fan 590 and according to 'hope in the big smoke' he had this to say about a couple of the injured players:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 14m
Wilson "we feel Couture will be back. Burrish had surgery today. We have a lot of depth though"

Wilson "Hertl has worked really hard. It's great to be 19-20 and heal quickly like young people do. We have no update on him right now"

There were a couple of other interesting quotes in that interview, check out hope_smoke's timeline if you want to see them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
DW doesn't do regular buyouts. We don't know yet if he will utilize the compliance buyout for no cap hit. We'll see this off-season as he has two at his disposal if he so chooses.

PF do you happen to know what is the deadline for the compliance buyout. I mean what is the latest date that DW can wait till to try trading Havlat or Burish before the 2014-2015 season starts?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
PF do you happen to know what is the deadline for the compliance buyout. I mean what is the latest date that DW can wait till to try trading Havlat or Burish before the 2014-2015 season starts?

I believe the window is 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals until the start of the free agency period.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
DW was on fan 590 and according to 'hope in the big smoke' he had this to say about a couple of the injured players:

Wilson "we feel Couture will be back. Burrish had surgery today. We have a lot of depth though"

Wilson "Hertl has worked really hard. It's great to be 19-20 and heal quickly like young people do. We have no update on him right now"

There were a couple of other interesting quotes in that interview, check out hope_smoke's timeline if you want to see them.

Thanks stalock, you're right there's a lot of other good quotes in there. Nothing on Torres that I could find though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thanks stalock, you're right there's a lot of other good quotes in there. Nothing on Torres that I could find though.

Yeah, to me, it sounds like Burish is done this season. Still kind of vague as usual on Hertl but I still expect him back before the season is over. Torres is likely to be activated next Thursday now that Burish is done. It also opens the door for Hertl if he is ready then but that isn't likely.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Yeah, to me, it sounds like Burish is done this season. Still kind of vague as usual on Hertl but I still expect him back before the season is over. Torres is likely to be activated next Thursday now that Burish is done. It also opens the door for Hertl if he is ready then but that isn't likely.

Broken bones -- usually 4-6 weeks. Or about 2nd round.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Possibly. Unless they suffer a couple of serious injuries and Hertl doesn't come back, I don't think Burish will see any time if he gets healthy by then.

Unless they face the Kings in the 2nd round or Blues in the WCF. Against those opponents, having Burish and Brown in for some of the games may be key to counter the physical game.

Against other opponents, Brown & Desi are enough.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Unless they face the Kings in the 2nd round or Blues in the WCF. Against those opponents, having Burish and Brown in for some of the games may be key to counter the physical game.

Against other opponents, Brown & Desi are enough.

Guys like Brown and Burish are the precise guys you want out of the lineup against the Kings. The only real way to counter the physical slow-down game they employ is to play like the way Nieto does. Fast, simple, and beat them with the transition. Traditional cycling is only done if you're trying to hold on to the lead but it would still be better to expand the lead by playing transition against the Kings over grinding it out.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Guys like Brown and Burish are the precise guys you want out of the lineup against the Kings. The only real way to counter the physical slow-down game they employ is to play like the way Nieto does. Fast, simple, and beat them with the transition. Traditional cycling is only done if you're trying to hold on to the lead but it would still be better to expand the lead by playing transition against the Kings over grinding it out.

I don't disagree - just need to see if the Sharks will commit to that type of game against the Kings. If they do, Nieto is essential but I worry that having both Brown and Burish out with only Desi as our tough guy will leave us vulnerable.

A discussion for another thread...

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Broken bones -- usually 4-6 weeks. Or about 2nd round.

Exactly if team has playing well there's no way he cracks the lineup again without injuries l. We are to deep and he hasn't earned ice time in the regular season let alone coming off not playing in a month and a half right to the second round of the playoffs

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
What the hell is "we feel Couture will be back," supposed to mean? That he is still alive?

I know, tell me about it.

Doug Wilson was a guest on Hockeycentral radio this afternoon and said Couture should be back soon. Hertl, had no info he stated. Burish apparently into surgery today.

Here's the link if interested (fast forward to 15:30 mark): http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-central-at-noon/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad