OT 19/3: Closed for Renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Mobile version is terrible but desktop version is fine. I use desktop way more often so I don't really mind but it's still going to be weird getting used to it

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Could really use a dark theme, or at least one that mimics the previous HFBoards color scheme. Also need to dump the OP avatars next to threads.

It's strange what's prioritized. On the forum page, the OP is made super important with their avatar next to it (on smaller boards it's not a good thing as it shows just how few people are starting threads), but in the threads themselves users are pushed off to the side. It's the complete reverse in my opinion. It doesn't really matter who creates a thread, but the opinions and thoughts contained within are the reason to visit the boards.

Not having the ability to see how many users/visitors are around also makes it feel like a vacuum.

Points also have no purpose currently. It's just for number of posts, which is enough of a 'reward' in itself, and 10,000 or whatever are already emergent goals. Codifying it diminishes the personal goals someone sets up in their head I feel.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I like the fact that you can now see when someone quotes your post.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dammit new forum, you cut off Stitch's hand! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????

Reactions: dechire

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Could really use a dark theme, or at least one that mimics the previous HFBoards color scheme. Also need to dump the OP avatars next to threads.

It's strange what's prioritized. On the forum page, the OP is made super important with their avatar next to it (on smaller boards it's not a good thing as it shows just how few people are starting threads), but in the threads themselves users are pushed off to the side. It's the complete reverse in my opinion. It doesn't really matter who creates a thread, but the opinions and thoughts contained within are the reason to visit the boards.

Not having the ability to see how many users/visitors are around also makes it feel like a vacuum.

Points also have no purpose currently. It's just for number of posts, which is enough of a 'reward' in itself, and 10,000 or whatever are already emergent goals. Codifying it diminishes the personal goals someone sets up in their head I feel.

Agree with all your points.

Also I am glad I was able to fix my username so it's not all one word now as the old system had the character limit. And My Avatar is not a solid blue Lego block anymore, got the gif to work so that's also good. However it says I cannot change my user name in 365 days does my previous sponsor status do nothing now? I don't see ads so I am not sure if that is because of my previous sponsor status or just the new site does not have any.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Agree with all your points.

Also I am glad I was able to fix my username so it's not all one word now as the old system had the character limit. And My Avatar is not a solid blue Lego block anymore, got the gif to work so that's also good. However it says I cannot change my user name in 365 days does my previous sponsor status do nothing now? I don't see ads so I am not sure if that is because of my previous sponsor status or just the new site does not have any.

another unintended effect of avatars next to threads is that people's eyes go to pictures, and this is a board where a lot of people have players or whatever in their avatar, and if they see Palat next to a thread I started let's say, they may jump down because they figure it's a thread about Palat. Nevermind we've got 3 stickied threads by a guy with an Islanders avatar.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If there's going to be more of those reward points for the number of posts I have a feeling all threads will be full of posts like "Agreed" or "Yes" etc...

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Mother of God. We're all gonna ****ing die once Dom gets the hang of this new format
We better get used to reading just every other post because the rest will be Dom saying either agree or disagree. :laugh:

Although this new like button could make those posts decrease, right? Because now you can show you agree with something with a simple click, rather than having to type it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Agreed.

We better get used to reading just every other post because the rest will be Dom saying either agree or disagree. :laugh:

Although this new like button could make those posts decrease, right? Because now you can show you agree with something with a simple click, rather than having to type it.
But you don't get the imaginary internet points for liking something. If HFB is going to gamify everything, liking should reward more points than getting liked. (and have a much higher cap of posts to like to maximize your score)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Agreed.

But you don't get the imaginary internet points for liking something. If HFB is going to gamify everything, liking should reward more points than getting liked. (and have a much higher cap of posts to like to maximize your score)
Lol, true. At least it's only likes. On some other forums I've seen too many ways you can "react" to others' posts, just like on Facebook. And then at the bottom of each post is "3x like, 2x agree, 2x disagree" and so on.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A post of mine did get lost in the transfer. It was just to mention that Fortnight Battle Royale had been released. A Hunger Games-em-up like PUBG. It's free on Epic Games' website (although it does require a free account). There's no microtransactions yet, but they seem to be going for the TF2 model of only on planning to sell cosmetic items.

There's also rudimentary building in-game (walls, floors, stairs, etc.), which is a change to the formula. The trees and buildings are also destructible (to collect wood, metal, etc.), but it also makes camping in a building not overpowered.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
What's terrible about the mobile site? It's infinitely better than the previous site that wasn't designed for mobile at all and thus was all shrunk and janky on a phone.

I like it because it's now very similar to BigSoccer, since it's the same software.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
One side effect of it being hosted on mandatory.com is it gets flagged by some corporate firewalls as being "tasteless" :p

Reactions: Kristia

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What's terrible about the mobile site? It's infinitely better than the previous site that wasn't designed for mobile at all and thus was all shrunk and janky on a phone.

I like it because it's now very similar to BigSoccer, since it's the same software.
But there was a mobile design you could pick while on mobile. It was pretty lean and did well for me. I agree, the desktop design on mobile wasn't great (at least on the small phone screens, on tablet it was good).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad