Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Where is Boston's?

Everyone is hating on you because they don't want to admit that there's a good chance he goes to NY.

It's a great fit for the kid. He has friends on the team, there is a spot for him, it's close to Boston, and there wouldn't be as much pressure for him there compared to the home town fans.

I think if he doesn't come to Boston, he's going to the Rangers.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Dude should have just signed in Nashville. Very good team with an amazing D. Forwards core is improving and he could've helped even more if things pan out. By all accounts Nashville is a great city and even as a pro athlete I'm sure he could go relatively unnoticed in public life.

To bad it's not in the Northeast, which is where he wants to be.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
4 threads. This guy better be the second coming of Jesus.

I never watched the kid play but looking at stats and scouting reports he doesn't seem any better then Drake Caggiula , Bigger yes but outside of his size I see Drake as = if not better on the stat sheet . I know stats don't tell the whole story but when you have not watched him play that is all you have to go by . Highlight youtube videos does nothing for me as they show only the good , hell anyone can out together a highlight wheel of Sam Gagner and he would look great especially after his 8 point game .

I just don't see the hype with the kid . I wish him well and hope he does well but I wouldn't bet on it

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
less then 24 hours

No. He's still Sabres' property on the 15th. As soon as the clock ticks to the 16th, he's a UFA.

WHY DOES EVERYONE GET THIS WRONG?

This is about BUSINESS, not hockey.

His agent is a business man. Hes going to 'talk up' all 30 franchises as a landing spot to get his client the best deal.

Then his client can emerge and pick the team he REALLY wants to play for.

Best deal? He's going to get the same deal from every offer he receives. Are you people not paying attention?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
No. He's still Sabres' property on the 15th. As soon as the clock ticks to the 16th, he's a UFA.

WHY DOES EVERYONE GET THIS WRONG?

Because they're probably right - you need to look at the previous CBA. Vesey was drafted in 2012, and the current CBA came into effect in 2013; therefore, Vesey falls under the previous CBA, not the current one (the current one does indeed state that Vesey would be a UFA on the 16th and not the 15th). However, I don't have a copy of the previous version to confirm.

Edit - you're right, the previous CBA (2005) has the same language. Vesey is a UFA on the 16th, not the 15th.

Last edited:

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
You can tell its the dog days of summer when a guy like this gets everyone talking. Nothing about him gets me excited

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Everyone is hating on you because they don't want to admit that there's a good chance he goes to NY.

It's a great fit for the kid. He has friends on the team, there is a spot for him, it's close to Boston, and there wouldn't be as much pressure for him there compared to the home town fans.

I agree with this, though I'd put NYR as most likely, followed by Boston. Obviously I'd love it to be the Hawks, but that doesn't seem very likely.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I never watched the kid play but looking at stats and scouting reports he doesn't seem any better then Drake Caggiula , Bigger yes but outside of his size I see Drake as = if not better on the stat sheet . I know stats don't tell the whole story but when you have not watched him play that is all you have to go by . Highlight youtube videos does nothing for me as they show only the good , hell anyone can out together a highlight wheel of Sam Gagner and he would look great especially after his 8 point game .

I just don't see the hype with the kid . I wish him well and hope he does well but I wouldn't bet on it

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on Caggiula. Vesey carried Harvard. Caggiula was playing with Schmaltz, Boeser and Stecher. There is a reason why Vesey won the Hobey baker, whilst Caggiula wasn't even nominated in the top 10.

bruinsfan1972

Jul 17, 2010
I'll just post this here again since the last thread closed already:

Vesey's agent talking VERY highly of the Rangers. Now that my folks is quotes from him, not speculation from beat writers. Hope he convinces his client to sign, I don't remember an agent every coming out and talking about another franchise in such a light manner, especially when his rights are being held by another team. :nod:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/14/harvard-hotshot-jimmy-veseys-camp-sees-a-fit-with-rangers/

I don't think he was talking highly of the Rangers. I took it more of paying lip service to a NY paper to keep his client relevant. He's not going to rule out teams when his client is expecting offers in the next few days.

My take is that he has his mind made up pending offer details. He has to sign an ELC and I would assume Buffalo has already maxed his bonuses in their latest offer, so he can't hold out for more money. If he wanted to play in BUF there would be no reason not to sign yet. Personally, I'm pretty impartial to him signing with the Bruins. The hometown hero story rarely plays out well and we already have some very good drafted talent that will have to take a back seat to Vesey, especially when part of his signing would almost certainly come with the guarantee that he makes the pro club.

Group Chat Legend*

Less pressure in New York City?

Compared to who, Toronto?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
LOL What else is Vesey's agent going to say "Oh no, the Rangers are a team on the downturn blah blah blah". You're quoting the POST of all sources as well. Vesey's agent's job is to get him the best opportunity. He's not going to rule out anyone right now.

It's also been said by his "camp" that he wants to play somewhere that's not inside a fishbowl. It cuts both ways.

We all want a shot at him, but spinning it like this is just silly. Who cares what his agent of all people say? Agents speaking to media have an agenda. He's not going to badmouth or rule out any team publicly.

Where/when did Vesey and/or his camp say he didn't want to play somewhere that's not a fishbowl? I'm generally curious about this, because if it was said, I missed it. If that's the case, NY, BOS, and CHI are out.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I'll just post this here again since the last thread closed already:

Vesey's agent talking VERY highly of the Rangers. Now that my folks is quotes from him, not speculation from beat writers. Hope he convinces his client to sign, I don't remember an agent every coming out and talking about another franchise in such a light manner, especially when his rights are being held by another team. :nod:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/14/harvard-hotshot-jimmy-veseys-camp-sees-a-fit-with-rangers/

raise the banner...

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Where/when did Vesey and/or his camp say he didn't want to play somewhere that's not a fishbowl? I'm generally curious about this, because if it was said, I missed it. If that's the case, NY, BOS, and CHI are out.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1077039

"I think he would prefer to be under the radar," Fish said. "He’s not the type of kid who enjoys necessarily being talked about all the time.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
No..the agent would simply say "no comment". Like they usually do. Agents never come out like he did.

Bull. That's what they say during contract negotiations. There are no contract negotiations now as Buffalo are the only ones who can. No agent or very few agents are going to blow off (major) local media like that when asked in a situation where a guy can essentially go to whereever he wants to get what he wants.

You're propping up an AGENT'S quotes to fuel your own belief that the Rangers have a chance at signing him. Thats fine. Devils fans are doing the same thing due to Vesey's family's relationship with Fitzgerald (our assistant GM )and Alex Kerfoot being one of our prospects. But don't blow it out of proportion. The agent is telling everyone the same damn thing right now.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Just thought it was funny that a poster suggested NYC wont have pressure

The poster very clearly stated "there wouldn't be as much pressure" for him in NYC compared to his hometown team. Which is probably true.

He never suggested NYC wouldn't have ANY pressure.

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada
He wasn't asked about them, no smart agent is going to speak candidly about a big market team especially if doing so puts them in a negative light and speaking candidly about the NYR would do just that.

The team is on the way down, the prospect pool is damn near empty and Lundqvist is getting old, all those things are true but as an agent he can't say that, he can't isolate a big market team and that goes for all big market teams

The defence 1-6 is not great. However, the Rangers have an excellent forward group that is still relatively young, especially with Buchnevich coming up this year. Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Zibanejad, Stepan, Buchnevich are all 26 and under. All of them have room to grow. Add Vesey to this list and there's a lot more hope for the future in NYC than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille