Recalled/Assigned: All-Encompassing Call-ups Thread (4/29: Thomas, 9 others recalled to NYR)

Jan 8, 2012
NY
AHL scoring doesn't mean much to me. Newbury is like, a god in the AHL. As long as McL can play good, punishing defense, I won't care very much about his point production.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Question: I have read that the taxi squad doesn't practice with the big club. Is this a NHL rule or ?

Also if not, is it not common to have the "JV team"assume the role of opponent ? In many team sports I have played coaches will generally have the squad play / lineup / run plays common to the other team etc. is this something that isn't traditionally done in hockey ?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Question: I have read that the taxi squad doesn't practice with the big club. Is this a NHL rule or ?

Also if not, is it not common to have the "JV team"assume the role of opponent ? In many team sports I have played coaches will generally have the squad play / lineup / run plays common to the other team etc. is this something that isn't traditionally done in hockey ?

No rule as far as I know. The Black Aces (as they have been called within the organization for quite a while) are up to get a feel for the atmosphere surrounding a team during the playoffs, nothing more, nothing less. And, at least as far as the Rangers go, I can never remember the Black Aces practicing with the team--they are minor leaguers, not fair game for NHLers. The practices that the team has had have been about special teams and various strategies, not having Thomas pretend to be Ovechkin.

Mr Atoz*

No rule as far as I know. The Black Aces (as they have been called within the organization for quite a while) are up to get a feel for the atmosphere surrounding a team during the playoffs, nothing more, nothing less. And, at least as far as the Rangers go, I can never remember the Black Aces practicing with the team--they are minor leaguers, not fair game for NHLers. The practices that the team has had have been about special teams and various strategies, not having Thomas pretend to be Ovechkin.

Doug Lidtser & Eddie Olczyk were Black Aces.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The Black Aces aren't the same thing as the playoff taxi squad. Generally, I remember them as being the guys who were the 13th, 14th forwards and 7th, 8th defensemen. For example, the 93-94 guys were Olczyk, Hartman, Hudson, Lidster and Andersson (until he got traded). None of them spent any time in the minors.

By that standard, this year's Aces would be Gilroy, Eminger, Hamrlik.

Of course, times have changed, so call them whatever you want :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Black Aces aren't the same thing as the playoff taxi squad. Generally, I remember them as being the guys who were the 13th, 14th forwards and 7th, 8th defensemen. For example, the 93-94 guys were Olczyk, Hartman, Hudson, Lidster and Andersson (until he got traded). None of them spent any time in the minors.

By that standard, this year's Aces would be Gilroy, Eminger, Hamrlik.

Of course, times have changed, so call them whatever you want :laugh:

Spot-on. They weren't players who just skated during practice, they were the healthy scratches who got their chances when we had injuries or suspensions.

This sesaon, due to a lot of injuries, we haven't had forwards being healthy scratches on a regular basis, but if I have to compare attackers form this season to the Black Aces, the names of Powe, Asham and Pyatt come to mind. With a healthy roster and talents performing, those 3 would most likely be our Black Aces together with Gilroy and Hamrlik

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think the lack of forwards as Black Aces for most of the year has more to do with our 13th and 14th guys being Kreider and Miller, who are better served in the minors than in the press box.

Now, of course, we have more depth. So Pyatt and Powe for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad