Recalled/Assigned: All-Encompassing Call-ups Thread (4/29: Thomas, 9 others recalled to NYR)

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Kreider wasn't good, obviously, but I never thought he was bad. Early in the season he looked tentative, but the last 10 games he played, I thought he was starting to take the body, and use his speed better. I'm glad he's coming back up. We've used up 2 years of his ELC and have gotten less than 40 games out of it. :shakehead

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Not really related but I actually think it would be optimal for Boyle to be out for powerplays ONLY to take faceoffs and then immediately go to the bench for a change regardless of outcome. He is by far our best faceoff guy and having him out should make a big difference in how often we start the PP with possession (which is huge considering once we lose possession we are brutal at getting the puck in the zone). At the same time he has no offensive ability so instantly removing him would then give us a better offensive threat in a better position to succeed. In the second period with the bench right near the offensive zone this would be a very quick transition - in the first/third it might be tougher to implement.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kreider wasn't good, obviously, but I never thought he was bad. Early in the season he looked tentative, but the last 10 games he played, I thought he was starting to take the body, and use his speed better. I'm glad he's coming back up. We've used up 2 years of his ELC and have gotten less than 40 games out of it. :shakehead

I agree, I don't think he was that bad and was kind of puzzled that Torts sat him the last couple games before he went down. A little bit of mismanagement there. I think he has to be allowed to succeed in this league and he needs time to do that.

If guys like Richards are making drop passes to the opposition and Gaborik (when he was here) aren't involved in the forecheck at all, then you need to let the kid grow at this level. He was showing his speed and was becoming more physical like you said. I thought Torts would have recognized that but he didn't.

Hopefully he's allowed to get some kind of minutes, otherwise they should've brought up Newbury instead.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I'd imagine that if this was a full season Kreider wouldn't have played yoyo so much. A lot more room for error when every game isn't twice as important

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'd imagine that if this was a full season Kreider wouldn't have played yoyo so much. A lot more room for error when every game isn't twice as important

If Kreider didn't assume all through the lockout that an NHL spot is a guarantee, instead working like he was supposed to, he would've been in the NHL from the start without getting sent down. But he was over-confident.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Don't think he is an improvement on the roster, bad decision.

Agreed.

If Kreider didn't assume all through the lockout that an NHL spot is a guarantee, instead working like he was supposed to, he would've been in the NHL from the start without getting sent down. But he was over-confident.

I don't think Kreider has earned a roster spot; but what the hell is this assertion based on?

--

Does not make sense to put Kreider on the 1st or 2nd line. Those are roster spots that he needs to earn - which he has not done. He should be on the 3rd line at best; 4th line I'm ok with as well though. And yes, if he plays on the 4th line, it is unlikely he'll actually produce much - but he will have a chance to play some NHL minutes and learn some basic skills through immersion. Though I care about the next 6 games, when it comes to Kreider, I'd much prefer for Torts to develop him properly than to put him in situations that he hasn't earned or isn't ready to play in. I've copy and pasted a relevant comment from the Isles Pre-Game thread when people were suggesting putting Kreider on the 1st or 2nd line (as they are currently still suggesting). I get that his callup is the result of the Boyle injury, though I would consider calling up Newb instead, so Kreider can continue getting 20 min/game in the AHL:

I think he needs to work on some pretty basic NHL-level hockey skills/sense and needs some time to do that, without any added pressure, in the AHL. That said, though we'll never know for sure, I'd be willing to bet that Torts would be more open to doing something like this (bolded in your quote; EDIT - this was responding to a comment saying Kreider needed not to be yo-yo'ed around and if he was playing to get more minutes in the NHL) with Kreider and Miller if it were an 82 game season. In the shortened season, each game is extremely important, and Torts probably feels like this gives him less leeway to let a rookie develop in the NHL at the expense of the team. But that said, he's also just 21. People need to relax.

This brings up an important point -- when Kreider is brought up he should absolutely be playing on the 3rd or 4th line. None of this 1st/2nd line BS. He shouldn't automatically get top 6 minutes as I've seen many people on here suggesting. Playing on the 3rd and 4th line would take a huge amount of the pressure off of him and give him some of the room to develop properly. He should have to play his way into top 6 minutes and one of the worst things that can be done is to rush this along.

One of the best teams at developing young talent - the Red Wings - does this routinely even with their top players. They let them develop and mature in the AHL or euro leagues until fairly late in their careers, and then when they finally are brought over to the NHL, they aren't expected to fill in top line slots right away - they are given roles on the 3rd and 4th line. I don't think I could name more than one Red Wings prospect in over a decade who was given a solid roster spot before the age of 23.

Datsyuk: Roster spot at 23.
Zetterberg: Roster spot at 22.
Kronwall: Roster spot between 25 and 26.
Helm: 23.
Hudler: 23.
Holmstrom: Played at 24 and 25, but didn't have a solid roster spot until 26.
Filppula: Played at 22, but didn't have a solid roster spot until 23.
Ericsson: 26.
Fischer: Played from 20-21, but didn't have solid roster spot until 22.
Andersson: 24.
Emmerton: 23.
Kindl: 25-26.
Abdelkader: 23-24.
Franzen: 26.
Brunner: 27.

And their current star prospects:

Nyquist: 23
Tatar: 22
... And neither has played in even half of the Red Wings' games this year, despite contributing at a pretty solid rate, despite the Red Wings having to battle through a significant amount of injuries earlier in the season, and despite having a desperate need for solid 3rd and 4th line players.

Kreider is 21. I get why people are anxious, but there is no good reason to rush his development.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
You don't want to get sent down? Don't let them send you down. For all the Torts bashing, he's actually watched some pretty good players develop.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I rather have Kreider playing with atleast the potential of goals. Boyle is a big body that can PK but he cant score.

Hoping Kreider nets one 2nite and starts rolling

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kreider is not an improvement on the roster? Not over Pyatt who is skating in mud out there? Or how about the offensively challenged Powe. The practically goal-less Asham and Clowe? I understand those guys fill different roles but this team is clearly offensively challenged. They need Kreider.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
All Hartford players, except Newb now, are gonna be brought up monday according to Jim Cerny

Interesting, I was wondering what they were waiting for.

Hope Clowe is only day-to-day and is ready for the playoffs!

Maybe Clowe is fine and Newbury is up just to get Gilroy out of the lineup ;)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has recalled 10 players from the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Joining the Rangers for the playoffs are Stu Bickel, Ryan Bourque, Micheal Haley, Brandon Mashinter, Dylan McIlrath, Jason Missiaen, J.T. Miller, Brandon Segal, Cameron Talbot, and Christian Thomas.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668096&navid=DL|NYR|home

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Not really related but I actually think it would be optimal for Boyle to be out for powerplays ONLY to take faceoffs and then immediately go to the bench for a change regardless of outcome. He is by far our best faceoff guy and having him out should make a big difference in how often we start the PP with possession (which is huge considering once we lose possession we are brutal at getting the puck in the zone). At the same time he has no offensive ability so instantly removing him would then give us a better offensive threat in a better position to succeed. In the second period with the bench right near the offensive zone this would be a very quick transition - in the first/third it might be tougher to implement.

I would not be opposed to that. The only time I wouldn't think it was necessary to do that was if Stepan was taking the draw. He's been way better in the circle this year. I'd still not hate the idea of letting Boyle take draws on the PP then swapping with someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad