AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If his contract is coming up and he's leaving, it would make sense why

He didn't help himself going to that WWE show and honestly I dunno why WWE allowed him backstage. That wasn't long after Tony was screaming about tampering, if I'm not mistaken.

Side note: My conspiracy theory is still that Punk was over AEW after Brawl Out, had discussions and an agreement with Triple H all the way back at the RAW show that he was "Kicked out of", and intentionally pushed buttons in AEW until they canned him.

That's probably a lot more popular of a theory than I think it is, but I'm gonna claim it lol.

Reactions: Fro

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I actually have enjoyed a good chunk of what Jericho has done, but since the most recent face turn, he's been awful. Don Callis feud was awful, Golden Jets was awful, bringing Sammy back as Jericho's bud was awful.

It's weird because he can still go in the ring when called upon. His match with Atlantis Jr was actually quite good and so were his matches with Fletcher and Takeshita. It's his character work that's been bad. For most 53 year olds, it's usually the inverse.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think the majority of Jerichos matches have been perfectly fine. He had a lull in the middle that had some dogshit, but mostly he’s been ok enough imo.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
Chris Jericho is my 2nd favorite wrestler of all time and I think there a case for him being among the best wrestlers to ever do it. However, I do agree with everyone else, he's not good right now. Not among the best in ring and he doesn't do much promos. He should take some time off and come back.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I actually have enjoyed a good chunk of what Jericho has done, but since the most recent face turn, he's been awful. Don Callis feud was awful, Golden Jets was awful, bringing Sammy back as Jericho's bud was awful.

It's weird because he can still go in the ring when called upon. His match with Atlantis Jr was actually quite good and so were his matches with Fletcher and Takeshita. It's his character work that's been bad. For most 53 year olds, it's usually the inverse.
Some of that wasn't his fault tbf...Kenny getting diverticulitis railroaded the callis feud which crossed with rehash of Sammy, then Sammy suspension derailed and so on....they're just trying to find some spaghetti to stick to the wall

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do think there is something to be said that the bulk of her equity was in the Sasha Banks name and gimmick. The gimmick, the theme, it was a total package and presentation is a huge part of making wrestlers feel big time no matter what the company is.

That said it's only two shows and she has had a really long layoff. Also not sure a feud with the HOB ladies is all that intriguing either.

I wouldn't jump the gun opinion wise until she moves into a more high rent feud.

I don't think she has been passed by yet like Saraya was, Mercedes is still ahead of a lot of the women in AEW. But it's a tall ask to have her lift this entire division higher up the card on her own.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Agree...I like what they've done with Julia and Skye...but up against many other performers they look so small..I am stunned Statlander hasn't been pushed to the moon...she is a taller/bigger person and can go...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Stats knee injury was really unfortunate because she looked poised to end Jade's streak and was really hot.

But yeah they should have started heating her back up the moment she returned.

I guess for me a big issue is the two women's champs feel kind of mid card. Toni is too goofy and Julia has a spooky gimmick which have ceilings IMO

Fine things to have on your roster, but they need some big time women for their main event scene. There isn't a Becky or a Rhea on the roster right now.

Mercedes is certainly a big piece of that puzzle, she can have that big time feel.

Stats I think can get there for them but they need to put more time and energy behind her to warm her up.

They really need Hayter back. She was riding really high and had higher to go before she got hurt.

Toni Storm's main job should be to try and help get Mariah up to that level when she finally breaks away from her and this Timeless stuff

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Gonna give her a chance to re-find her groove, but thru 2 shows, I am underwhelmed...

Wait, I criticized AEDub...will I get banned by the ones that don't watch? Lolololol
I wasn't a fan of back to back weeks of her coming out to cut almost the same overly long promo, not to mention the same silly rainmaker-ish dance when CEO gets chanted.. All of it felt too forced. Wife asked me if Mercedes has any other dance moves - lol...
Even the interference with Julia/HOB was basically the same - catch a kick and attempt finisher.

Would have like to see her in an actual match this week -- even if it was against a jobber.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
The AEW women's division should be in a good spot with the talent they have, up to TK to make it interesting. Hayter coming back will be huge. She was ROLLING prior to getting hurt and I that last match against Shida is my favorite women's match I've seen in a while ... perhaps ever. I honestly can't wait for her return. Not a huge Mercedes fan myself, but she will only help elevate the division so I think it's pretty exciting.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tony makes the same mistake he does with a lot of people with giving them huge debuts and then inexplicably pushes them down the card and everyone wonders why they don’t get hot.

They’re inserting her into whatever Willow and Kris and Julia and Skye Blue were doing and she doesn’t belong in it, especially when it seems Willow is doing a character change, and they’re gonna get Mercedes caught up doing this darkness feud when she’s not a match for that.

Two weeks in, I should know when her first match is going to be.

Reactions: Emperoreddy and CDJ

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tony makes the same mistake he does with a lot of people with giving them huge debuts and then inexplicably pushes them down the card and everyone wonders why they don’t get hot.

They’re inserting her into whatever Willow and Kris and Julia and Skye Blue were doing and she doesn’t belong in it, especially when it seems Willow is doing a character change, and they’re gonna get Mercedes caught up doing this darkness feud when she’s not a match for that.

Yeah it's a bit odd, there should have been a clear money match being teased for her from the moment she got there that's big time.

Maybe the issue is they don't feel they have a big time match to tease with her yet, but idk.

Kind of wish Deonna showed up way earlier and was champ.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah it's a bit odd, there should have been a clear money match being teased for her from the moment she got there that's big time.

Maybe the issue is they don't feel they have a big time match to tease with her yet, but idk.

Kind of wish Deonna showed up way earlier and was champ.
I don’t know how they could not have one, it’s not like they signed her 2 weeks ago.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Willow beat Mercedes for the IWGP Title last year on a New Japan show which is why a feud with her makes total sense. To me that's the best match possible given the available talent the company has right now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Willow beat Mercedes for the IWGP Title last year on a New Japan show which is why a feud with her makes total sense. To me that's the best match possible given the available talent the company has right now.
It makes sense in theory, but they’re doing something else with Willow, so she should not be involved here.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Santana did an interview with CVV, seems like a very reasonable guy

Said him and Ortiz never won the belts because they were told too many ppl were gunning for that spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad