All Bruins rumors/proposals: The Long Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Unlike Spooner who needs the open ice to fly and pass, Koko's shifty relentless super stickhandling game *could* translate to LW.

But isn't the problem that he hasn't been that good on the wing?

I'd like to see him up but I can't see them giving him a shot on the wing, they'd need to trade Eriksson and really trust Koko to put him on the top6, don't see him playing with Spooner or on the 4th line?.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Have a gut feeling Sweeney wants both Franson and Ehrhoff. Just an itch.

That would be interesting, if he could do it. The consensus appears to be that the Bruins would have to move another D (K. Miller?) and/or another roster player to make Franson happen, never mind both of them.

I'm still asking those who might know: Has CE lost his game, or could he actually help?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Imo the worse thing Sweeney has done so far is the McQuaid deal. Like the player, but he is completely useless to us at this point. It will look even worse when his yearly half a season injury comes around. Didn't understand the signing then, don't get it now.

This is a bit strong, but I understand the bafflement. Like Ferrence, he's often injured because of the gritty way he plays the game. Too much $$ & term. It probably would have been best to let K Miller slide into that role for less of both.

But, it is what it is. Don's early returns have certainly been a mixed bag.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
It's astounding that Eklund has managed to somehow create a whole industry of fake hockey insiders. It also says something that there are somehow sites even less credible than his :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is a bit strong, but I understand the bafflement. Like Ferrence, he's often injured because of the gritty way he plays the game. Too much $$ & term. It probably would have been best to let K Miller slide into that role for less of both.

But, it is what it is. Don's early returns have certainly been a mixed bag.

This been said so many times but just read DJ Beans blog text and Sweeney needs to do whatever it takes to get a real top4 D this offseason, we can't survive the season playing with 3 3rd pairing RD's. Our forward group has the potential to score a lot more than they did last year so let's not kill that dream with that D.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It's astounding that Eklund has managed to somehow create a whole industry of fake hockey insiders. It also says something that there are somehow sites even less credible than his :laugh:

I have been on the board since 2005. Maybe I missed something, but I have never, ever encountered a case where Eklund was right about anything.

Has he? If not, why does anyone lend credence to his "rumors"?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This been said so many times but just read DJ Beans blog text and Sweeney needs to do whatever it takes to get a real top4 D this offseason, we can't survive the season playing with 3 3rd pairing RD's. Our forward group has the potential to score a lot more than they did last year so let's not kill that dream with that D.

It will be addressed through trade or FA (usual suspects per the latter). I can't see the Bruins going into the season hoping AHL/depth D acquisitions will somehow step into major minutes & critical roles.

They have enough $$ and trade bait to get something done. It may not happen soon, though.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It will be addressed through trade or FA (usual suspects per the latter). I can't see the Bruins going into the season hoping AHL/depth D acquisitions will somehow step into major minutes & critical roles.

They have enough $$ and trade bait to get something done. It may not happen soon, though.

I truly &badly hope so, I really like the potential of the team and don't want that to get wasted.

If we lose on Franson then I'd say Ehrhoff is our guy, he is not going to Pittsburg and played a ton of minutes, 27 min games, toughest minutes but Pens fans were not happy, injuries are the big IF with him.
Ehrhoff is one player that could help to limit Chara's minutes.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I truly &badly hope so, I really like the potential of the team and don't want that to get wasted.

If we lose on Franson then I'd say Ehrhoff is our guy, he is not going to Pittsburg and played a ton of minutes, 27 min games, toughest minutes but Pens fans were not happy, injuries are the big IF with him.
Ehrhoff is one player that could help to limit Chara's minutes.

If he has a troubling injury history *and* his game has fallen off, I'm not certain I'd want him...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I have been on the board since 2005. Maybe I missed something, but I have never, ever encountered a case where Eklund was right about anything.

Has he? If not, why does anyone lend credence to his "rumors"?

Eklund is right about as often as you and i are... and roughly the same rate as 99% of people who speculate in trades can be

But logically thats the limit anyone can be right.

I'll explain.

Suppose during a typical season there might be 50 trades. Now suppose each time a gm intends to trade a player, they call around 10 teams to kick the tires.

Now suppose an insider has legitimate sources and reported that these teams were talking...

The accuracy would be 10% or less.

Now suppose a team is looking to improve and calls 5-6 teams to see if anything is shaking... but nothing comes of it. Say a gm might do this 10 times each season... there is another 1500 legit rumors that a true insider might report.

So now we have 50 trades but 2000 legit rumors.

Now remember all the times real gms thought they had a trade done... boston with wanvig/with iginla... edmonton with heatley... theres lots of examples. Even the real gm's often release trades that fall apart at the last second.

So mathamatically any outsider with real inside information is only going to be accurate 1-2% of the time if they report every single rumor they hear. Most rumors do not result in a real trade.

You and me with our common sense are going to be accurate 1-2% of the time too.

In recent seasons i predicted seguin/boychuk/lucic would get moved but i had no clue where theyd end up or for what return. I also predicted that krejci and marchand could go.

This is differnt than when i propose fantasy trades. I used logic and analazed the age/contract and team makeup and rationalized these type of moves were going to happen.

Anyone with a rational mind and an understanding of the cap could have been as accurate as i was.

Its like predicting we are interested in a top 4 dman... anyone with any common sense would realize we need a guy and will be trying to find one.

Being accurate 1-2% of the time is pretty easy... being accurate more often is next to impossible no matter how inside your sources are

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he has a troubling injury history *and* his game has fallen off, I'm not certain I'd want him...

I don't know if he has fallen on when he still played 27min games with toughest minutes and a year before hit 33 points in Buffalo, he can be a +30 point guy which we would definitely need.
The year before he played 79 games and the year before that 47/48.

Also Ehrhoff signing would be for 1y, absolute max 2y, but very likely 1y so I ask myself if I want to see Irwin on the lineup or Ehrhoff who is a lot lot better player/skater/ and will bring points. Remember it's free signing and likely for just 1year, very low risk to me.

Chara
Ehrhoff
Krug
LD side should be pretty damm good, then you have a great 3rd pairing D player McQuaid and if Seidenberg finds his game our D would be better than it was last year.
Then we'd have much better forward group and better D group=higher finish? without cap hell fear. Ehrhoff is in the 3M range for 1y, leaves cap space and ton of cap for next offseason.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He wouldn't have been extended, we would have traded him instead of Voldemort.

The extension was from the old GM.

I say the reason we are willing to trade him is the same reasons teams would be reluctant to trade for him.

I say if the Bruins struggle by deadline or this season, a contending team may be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad