Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If they gave Laf that assist in game 2, that the league gives out 95% of the time, and the assist on the bs callback from offside by half an inch vs the Jackets, laf would have 4 points in 5 games to start the year and there would be far less crying in here.
Thats possible. Breads ability matched with Chytils speed should open some ice for Laf. Hopefully he can get on some sort of roll.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If they gave Laf that assist in game 2, that the league gives out 95% of the time, and the assist on the bs callback from offside by half an inch vs the Jackets, laf would have 4 points in 5 games to start the year and there would be far less crying in here.

He had a bad game in that 5-1 loss to Nashville but overall I'd say he's doing measurably better than last year so far.

Still..... he's at 0.4 ppg.

He has to get that number up. Numbers do matter. You can pass all the eye tests in the world - like Kakko - but you have to produce too.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That retrieve the puck in the corner and then the give and go goal was one of the better ones I have seen Laf make for us.

I liked that he fought through the initial dman and then had quick hands at the net. Some adversity might even be good for Laf to push Laf to take another step forward.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I will say.... disappointingly...

It looks like even a Lafreniere that pans out, at this stage, is that he becomes a PF who scratches out dirty goals.

I still want, like, a home grown dynamic skill player like Hughes.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

It looks like even a Lafreniere that pans out, at this stage, is that he becomes a PF who scratches out dirty goals.

Lets give Laf 40 games with our new coach. Then we can have a fair evaluation of what we have and what we do not have in Laf.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL

They are generational and hard to come by. If Laf can be a contributing factor to success for the team, then I am a ok with that.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

also threaded a long breakaway pass to chytil who hit the post. chytil has easily cost laf 20-30 pts in his career by not finishing anything for him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Unless I’ve missed something new, all the valiquette quotes are extremely run of the mill and nothing noteworthy. If I recall correctly there was a line about “putting down the golf clubs” that was very clearly just meant in a general sense and not actually insinuating that he doesn’t train or care enough
Yes. It was never anything specific and very just “Laf needs to do everything he can to prepare for the next season and become the best player he can be” type of thing

Laf had some confidence last night and you could see him handling the puck more smoothly and in the zone of the play rather than looking hesistant and a step behind. That’s how he’s got to keep playing.

And yeah he’s never gonna be the dynamic Hughes type. Hughes is a special player it turns out and has some skills that an extremely small number of players in the league have. Laf could still be a good producer for the rangers though if we’re lucky. Learning to stay in that “zone” would be a big thing

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Last night was one of the first games that stood out as a solid reason for optimism, and it wasn’t as if he was flying high, but he made solid plays, was in the right place, read things well and looked as if he was able to keep up with the game, which hasn’t happened often previously. The whole team played well last night though, which also doesn’t happen as often as it should. I’m definitely all about seeing it contInue, but at the same time the three “kids” have a combined 8 points this year and 5 of them came last night - they otherwise had 1 each through 4 games. Tiny sample size and if this is the launching point for more consistent offensive results, I’m all for it. It just really needs to be a game over game thing and not once every 5 games going forward (no, of course I don’t expect points every night, but the overall look of belonging, yes, nightly).

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
It’s kind of feeling like at this point in his career he’s not a guy who is gonna drive offense for his line (like most 1OA forwards are expected to), but when his line is going he is a solid contributor to that.

Kind of a brainless estimation, but hey if the shoe fits!

Last edited:
Reactions: RangersFan

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
It’s kind of feeling like at this point in his career he’s not a guy who is gonna drive offense for his line (like most 1OA forwards are expected too), but when his line is going he is a solid contributor to that.

Sound about right. He’s got the skillset and finishing ability to put up 50-60 ESP in the right situation. Kakko on the other hand feels like the opposite, as he can drive play and be a possession monster, but is going to need someone else to finish.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
Let him cook. Panarin is playing lights out right now so that line will benefit. Once he gets a streak going we will all be laughing about this debate. I can understand frustration but his positioning is unironically elite. He is reading everything well. I also believe his speed is better this year. He just needs to shoot more. The points will come.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Let him cook. Panarin is playing lights out right now so that line will benefit. Once he gets a streak going we will all be laughing about this debate. I can understand frustration but his positioning is unironically elite. He is reading everything well. I also believe his speed is better this year. He just needs to shoot more. The points will come.
I agree he looks slightly faster, but I think his positioning is usually lacking. Last night not withstanding, he was seeing the ice well but overall I haven’t loved his play without the puck. That comes with chemistry though so I’m firmly in the “let them cook” camp. Love that line and come Thanksgiving it could be strongly argued as the top line. Heck, it kind of already is.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I agree he looks slightly faster, but I think his positioning is usually lacking. Last night not withstanding, he was seeing the ice well but overall I haven’t loved his play without the puck. That comes with chemistry though so I’m firmly in the “let them cook” camp. Love that line and come Thanksgiving it could be strongly argued as the top line. Heck, it kind of already is.
You mean like him forechecking to steal a puck and create a goal? would that be play without the puck you'd like to see from him?

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
I disagree with "usually lacking". One (fair) criticism about his goals last year were that they were mostly tap ins.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
You mean like him forechecking to steal a puck and create a goal? would that be play without the puck you'd like to see from him?
Yes, that was a great play! But no I’m talking about positional assignment overlap where he limits himself as a pass option. It happens often if you look for it. It could be systems, chemistry, swapping wings or even a little bit of everything. All of which would stand to reason so I’m not concerned.

And for the record because I know this thread is a landmine of negativity most of the time, I have been one of the more patient Laffy fans in here so let’s not mistake actually constructive criticism for that.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
It’s kind of feeling like at this point in his career he’s not a guy who is gonna drive offense for his line (like most 1OA forwards are expected to), but when his line is going he is a solid contributor to that.

It's pretty much this and we are going to have to find a way to be happy about that. His ceiling might be PPG power forward which is great but we have to accept he won't be a puck carrying driver of offense we see so many #1OA become. He should become a Rantanen type (obviously wishful thinking), a guy who can play complimentary to Mack and Makar 2 drivers, though Rantanen definitely has ability to drive the play if he wanted to.

Reactions: Kords

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
One fair criticism of his neutral zone and play has been "he's usually out of position."

Also... He likes being on the wrong side of the blue line during zone entries.
are you meaning trying to cheat way too soon for the odd man rush before a puck driver has a chance to get pass the blue line first? his timing is that bad? damn

So Lafreniere has been good to start the season but people still dumping on him? Why would that be?
do you really really want to know? i don't think you're ready for the hard truths.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
are you meaning trying to cheat way too soon for the odd man rush before a puck driver has a chance to get pass the blue line first? his timing is that bad? damn

do you really really want to know? i don't think you're ready for the hard truths.
Is it because people wanna hate him? Cus that's the only hard truth that supports it so far.

Reactions: mas0764
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad