Alexis Lafreniere Or Jack Hughes?

Which player will be better going forward?

• Total voters

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Hughes. His skating is ridiculous and his underlying numbers are top 15-10. His transition game is nasty as well. Think he was leading the league in takeaways as well and still might be (haven’t checked).

Covid hit him hard and since that stumble he’s been lights out again.

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
I've watched most Rangers games and Devils games this season. Hughes stands out every game from what I've seen but hasn't put up crazy numbers yet. Lafrenierre looks good from time to time, but doesn't really stand out on a night to night basis. Styles are hard to compare, Hughes talent pops more visually. Too early obviously; answer will come in years 3 and on.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hughes. If he was on the Rangers instead of Devils.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Laf is bigger and I think has better skills - better shot, better hands, better vision.

Jack is a smarter and faster guy.

Both end up very nice players, not super elite like the super elite, but I can see Laf at PPG+ who's hard to handle down low and clutch and Hughes PPG or near and a beast on faceoffs and the PK.

Laf missed a year of hockey so I think he'll have a more sharp upward trajectory, Hughes I think will have a Couturier-like arc.

Both at their absolute ceilings Hughes is a better player, but both reach about 80-90% of their ceiling I'd take Laf.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Both end up very nice players, not super elite like the super elite, but I can see Laf at PPG+ who's hard to handle down low and clutch and Hughes PPG or near and a beast on faceoffs and the PK.

Laf missed a year of hockey so I think he'll have a more sharp upward trajectory, Hughes I think will have a Couturier-like arc.

I think you may be looking too far into the advanced stats to project to roles. Hughes sucks on face-offs. He's way under 40%. Thats one of the worst in the league. It may even be the worst. And he's never been a penalty killer going back years to when he played in junior. Comparing him to Couturier is looking way too much into advanced stats.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Laf is bigger and I think has better skills - better shot, better hands, better vision.

Both at their absolute ceilings Hughes is a better player, but both reach about 80-90% of their ceiling I'd take Laf.
Theres no chance Lafreniere has better vision than Jack Hughes

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Just wondering, What rookie/young centers have been great at faceoffs right off the bat?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just wondering, What rookie/young centers have been great at faceoffs right off the bat?
Matthews was 54.2% in year 2 of his career. Toews was elite off the bat. But, guys rarely make big jumps from in the low 40's or lower over a large sample size in their teens into good faceoff guys. McDavid and Eichel for example still haven't broken 50%. Malkin broke 50% once but has generally hovered around 45%.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

He faceoff % is 35.7 which is actually about a half point drop from last year.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Matthews was 54.2% in year 2 of his career. Toews was elite off the bat. But, guys rarely make big jumps from in the low 40's or lower over a large sample size in their teens into good faceoff guys. McDavid and Eichel for example still haven't broken 50%. Malkin broke 50% once but has generally hovered around 45%.
So then clearly faceoff % isnt indicative of if you can center or not

Jack will produce enough offense from the middle to stay there since his takeaway and backcheck game is strong already as well.

I wouldnt be surprised if they have a winger take faceoffs for Jack, Giroux did this from the wing in Philly for a year or two

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

Nico Hischier, his teammate is one. 42 to 57%

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think that person had the names mixed.

sounded like he was picking Lafreniere but thought Jack's hand and skating was elite and would turn him into a star. He also played last year

either that or hes confusing the two because Lafreniere's hands arent a big part of his game

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think that person had the names mixed.

sounded like he was picking Lafreniere but thought Jack's hand and skating was elite and would turn him into a star. He also played last year

either that or hes confusing the two because Lafreniere's hands arent a big part of his game

Actually I just worded it poorly. I was talking about Hughes having good hands and skating ability. I picked Hughes

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
You can still change your vote? :sarcasm:

Lafreniere 200 votes (62.7%) and Hughes 119 votes (37.3%) atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad